Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 21:38   #5776
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is not okay for many of us who don't like to drive manual cars. If you are okay with Manual, then the 4x4 Manual is a good choice. It is nothing to do with a capability of an Automatic VS Manual, but the convenience. BTW, even 2WD sumo's ply in spiti, so you don't need the 4wd either.
I think I didn't express properly or it wasn't understood right. I wasn't talking about the automatic gearbox. I was referring to 4x4 option in an automatic.
And that even if such a variant was not available, the automatic is still very capable to traverse most terrains in India - was the question in point I was trying to make.
Old 25th September 2020, 07:51   #5777
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
And that even if such a variant was not available, the automatic is still very capable to traverse most terrains in India - was the question in point I was trying to make.
I understand. My business partner has an Hexa Automatic and I have used it extensively. The only modification he did was to alter the 3rd row seat frame bottom to get a flat boot floor when the 3rd row is folded.

For 80% to 90% buyers 2WD will suffice. But for 10% to 20% of buyers like me, we are the ones who buy the buy the 4WD version of the Duster, Scorpio, XUV, Bolero, Safari, Fortuner, Endy etc. Since Tata is struggling and trying to off-load their passenger car business to the chinese, it makes sense for them to go the extra length and offer a variant that can make a mark. Since they are already sourcing the transfer case from Borg Warner, they only need to integrate the automatic to the transfer case.

But like I said, Tata doesn't have the appetite to fight the market. The main advantage they had over Mahindra is that the Mahindra vehicles were robust but looked like shit and drove like shit. But Mahindra has really upped it's game and I can assure you that the next gen Scorpio and XUV will be killer products. If I were to pick between the 2WD version of the Hexa/Scorpio/XUV, I would go for the Hexa any day. However, after the next gen Scorpio/XUV are launched Tata will not stand a chance.

Why are they taking so much time to launch Gravita's when production ready versions are already displayed at the Auto Show? How do the previous generation Harrier owners feel when they have a better engine and automatic few months down the line? For being part of a huge conglomerate with famed TAS management, I don't understand how this company can be this rudderless. Just look at the buzz Mahindra is making with the new Thar. The first one is going at an auction for over 80 lakhs. I am sure it will sell in relatively low numbers, but they have created such a hype that people will go to the show rooms to see it, but finally dad will drive home in a xylo.

Tata is busy competing in an extremely crowded space i.e Hatchbacks/Small CUVs. Like Mahindra they had a monopoly in the large SUV space but blew it.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 25th September 2020 at 08:00.
4x4addict is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 08:36   #5778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why are they taking so much time to launch Gravita's when production ready versions are already displayed at the Auto Show? How do the previous generation Harrier owners feel when they have a better engine and automatic few months down the line?
I feel that Tata should give the Gravitas more time, we all know the niggles present in the Harrier V1, it's better they are taking more time. Doing all the testing required to iron out any lapses on their part, otherwise like always people will be bashing Tata for not providing a niggle free car! Anyways Mahindra will launch the next-gen XUV next year only, so Tata can make the car ready for launch before M&M even if Tata is a few months late to launch the car.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:35   #5779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I feel that Tata should give the Gravitas more time
Gravita's is basically an extended version of the Harrier. The power train and mechanical are identical. It is FWD platform and the Harrier and Gravitas pretty much share the same from the B-Pillar onwards.

Not sure why it needs so much extra time after Harrier V2. I suspect waiting for a Diwali launch post peak COVID.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:00   #5780
BHPian

Quote:
The only modification he did was to alter the 3rd row seat frame bottom to get a flat boot floor when the 3rd row is folded.
Can you share more details on this, my friend has Hexa and two dogs, flat folding third row will be of great convenience to his dogs.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:39   #5781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Can you share more details on this, my friend has Hexa and two dogs, flat folding third row will be of great convenience to his dogs.
Don't have any pictures of when it was done. But basically remove the 3rd row seat frame and you will see the at the front of the frame is lifted compared to the Aria for under thigh support. Just cut off that extension and weld the frame back in place, paint it and bolt it back. That's it.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 07:01   #5782
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes, when I drive the Hexa it reminds me of my Tata Estate days. Except for the under-powered engine (by today's standards), the Tata Estate was a fantastic car. I recall driving it for 12 hours road trips, and not feeling tired at all. Things like OE Air Conditioning, power steering, coil sprung suspension all around was very advanced for it's time. Remember the competition at that time came with leaf sprung rear suspensions. My close friends had Tata Sieras too. What great Indian SUVs for it's time. But alas...
4x4addict is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:03   #5783
BHPian

Hi All,

Need your opinion. Planning for a new car and stuck between Hexa and Harrier.

I am getting 2018 4x4 XT Hexa in good condition for 15 lakhs. Is this a good price?

Else other option is Harrier XZ+ or XZA+ for 22 or 24 lakhs respectively.

Primarily looking for rugged all round SUV with capability to handle broken and in some case dirt roads.
Old 28th September 2020, 10:32   #5784
BHPian

Tata Hexa BS6 spotted testing, refer below link from Zigwheels ...
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...=1601269122377.
Old 29th September 2020, 11:09   #5785
BHPian

I used to get my Hexa serviced at ECR Concorde in Chennai. I was sort of okay with their service over the years. But the last two services left bitter taste. My ac was not working efficiently and they used to just fill the gas and say it is all fine. Repeated requests to look at in depth failed. My last visit was in Oct '19 for the 50K service. The same story repeated and now I found that there is a leak in the cooling coil... I had a three year extended warranty and now I have to pay from my pocket. Had they attended to it properly it would have been covered in warranty. Now I have to pay for it.
Now I find that it is the same set of employees who are there with Laxmi motors who have taken over ECR Concorde. Therefore I am very apprehensive of going back there.
I will be thankful if other Hexa owners from Chennai suggest to me an alternate service station. I live in Thiruvanmiyur
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 08:36   #5786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Hi All,

Need your opinion. Planning for a new car and stuck between Hexa and Harrier.

I am getting 2018 4x4 XT Hexa in good condition for 15 lakhs. Is this a good price?
Dear Shashank,

Let me add some thoughts on this question.
- Some questions to ask before you decide - what is your driving pattern ? Highways, City etc.
- Do you need a 4x4 strictly ?
- Hexa is a RWD while Harrier is Front Wheel Drive but driving dynamics are nice on both. I have not personally experianced Harrier.

As a present Hexa owner I am very satisfied with the car but manual Hexa is not as fun to drive, as say a Auto box on Harrier, on a open highway. Harrier auto has got great reviews on our forum. Also comparing the additional cost of Harrier to Hexa, it may save you some money if you opt for the Hexa. Test drive both and go with your heart. Also if you go for Hexa, do check the service history and issues with a trusted TASS.

Do let us know which way the wind flew finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I used to get my Hexa serviced at ECR Concorde in Chennai. I was sort of okay with their service over the years. But the last two services left bitter taste. My ac was not working efficiently and they used to just fill the gas and say it is all fine. Repeated requests to look at in depth failed. My last visit was in Oct '19 for the 50K service. The same story repeated and now I found that there is a leak in the cooling coil... I had a three year extended warranty and now I have to pay from my pocket. Had they attended to it properly it would have been covered in warranty. Now I have to pay for it.
Now I find that it is the same set of employees who are there with Laxmi motors who have taken over ECR Concorde. Therefore I am very apprehensive of going back there.
I will be thankful if other Hexa owners from Chennai suggest to me an alternate service station. I live in Thiruvanmiyur
Dear arulpeem, this is very unfortunate and I can empathise with your situation. I wanted to share one idea which may help you in your situation.
Send a mail / raise an issue on App and inform them that the issue with AC were reported long back. Show them proof from your previous complaints.
Try to get some goodwill discount on the current cost. Ask for a complete waiver and then maybe you can negotiate on a agreeable number.
TML is usually accommodative in such cases where genuine issues are involved.
Also it will be a good idea to join the local TN Hexa Owners group to get guidance to a more competent TASS.
All the best and lets hope this is sorted out.
swarnava.ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 14:22   #5787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the vehicle has run about 50K Kms, about 14 lakhs would be max price.

Quote:
Else other option is Harrier XZ+ or XZA+ for 22 or 24 lakhs respectively.
I would advice the 4x4 XT Hexa only if you are fine with manual transmission. Personally, I will not buy a manual car with today's traffic conditions. If you are okay with Manual. the 4x4 XT is a great buy.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 09:32   #5788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I used to get my Hexa serviced at ECR Concorde in Chennai.
I was pleasantly surprised to get a response to this message from a Tata official and I got phone call from the GM of the Laxmi motors who have taken over Concorde. It is not going to solve my problem of having spend of the cooling coil, but it is a good sign that messages in the forum are being read and responded to...
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 00:00   #5789
BHPian

I used to service my HEXA XMA at Concorde ECR as well. I got a call from Laxmi Motors on ECR (same place) as well and the work they did was quite professionally carried out. They seriously need to do something about the Lorry Dhaba ambience in the customer lounge.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-seat-mod2.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-rear-seat-mod1.jpeg

When you remove the rear seats you will find two steel extensions which raise the front of the seat for thigh support. When those supports are reduced the seats fall flat.

I remember seeing a random thread about a Hexa head replacement. That has just happened to my Hexa XMA which is one year old and run 45000km. I sent the car to the dealer to check on an irregular sound which was found to be the water pump and that was changed under warranty. They said there was an oil leak found on the exhaust manifold side and Tata Motors has asked them to replace the full head under warranty. Not sure if its parts of a larger problem or a random one-off case. Great car otherwise! Great to drive and tireless over full-day journeys.

Last edited by ampere : 21st October 2020 at 09:49. Reason: back to back posts merged
noelravin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 13:07   #5790
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW, my business partner's Hexa XMA is going through a engine head replacement under warranty at 40,000 kms. He had given for routine service and was surprised to get a call from the dealership saying head has to be replaced and it will be covered under warranty. The alternator has already been replaced under warranty earlier. Typicall Tata gremlins, I guess.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks