Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 12:20   #61
BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
That's Renault for you in India, should not be surprised if they offer Gear indicators, Creep and Hill assist function in a higher variant later. Please do not rely on the claims of manufacturers and be satisfied with a test drive on flat roads. This is another halfhearted effort from Renault, please test this vehicle in peak hour traffic and if possible drive through slow moving traffic around hilly areas in your city with AC, it will reveal the real facts.
We used to pay premium for a couple of chrome strips and body colored bumper. Then why not this Without creep function, am skeptical about Kwid for my wife who's still novice when it comes to driving. Now trying to figure out between Celerio and Alto. We have excellent off-road capabilities at this time in and around Kochi, courtesy Metro works and PWD Hence will be doing a thorough test drive for sure.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 12th December 2016 at 12:23.
Old 13th December 2016, 07:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
We used to pay premium for a couple of chrome strips and body colored bumper. Then why not this Without creep function, am skeptical about Kwid for my wife who's still novice when it comes to driving. Now trying to figure out between Celerio and Alto. We have excellent off-road capabilities at this time in and around Kochi, courtesy Metro works and PWD Hence will be doing a thorough test drive for sure.
Ha ha yes kochi is another urban offroad spot, We were waiting for kwid automatic and after the test drive we let it go, not because of missing creep function the amt is not at all refined and the rotary selector looks awful in real. Kwid amt is just another half baked cookie, Booked celerio amt
quakerme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 09:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
Ha ha yes kochi is another urban offroad spot, We were waiting for kwid automatic and after the test drive we let it go, not because of missing creep function the amt is not at all refined and the rotary selector looks awful in real. Kwid amt is just another half baked cookie, Booked celerio amt
That really was helpful my friend. It would be great if you can put in some quick comparison between the two, like the pros and cons of both. Hope am not asking for a lot
Old 13th December 2016, 10:04   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who have booked the car and are awaiting delivery, I strongly urge all of you to take a full, proper TD of the Kwid AMT, including driving on inclines & in stop-go traffic, preferably during peak hours, before committing to the car.

If you are fully satisfied with the car and feel that it performs on expected lines AND meets your requirements regarding day-to-day driving despite it's quirks (no creep function, no manual gear-changing option), then only plonk your money into it.

There are better options in the Rs 5 lakh-OTR range.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 23:09   #65
BHPian

Quote:
That really was helpful my friend. It would be great if you can put in some quick comparison between the two, like the pros and cons of both. Hope am not asking for a lot
compare the looks kwid wins handsdown the vehicle is an eyecatcher, ingress is a bit tight however the 2Din infotainment will make you Smile, turn on the ignition and the cookie crumbles. The knob selector looks like a premium big size A/c blower knob. Engine starts with a light judder which can be felt and the drive lacks Peppiness. Vehicle comes with only front power windows and the switch is placed onto the dashboard, audio lacks life and you will feel that ur in a budget amt for the rest of the ride.
Celerio looks good from the front and the rear looks like the designer was not happy with his paycheque. Zxi variant comes with a 4 door power window and the switches are placed on the Handrest along with the side mirror controls. No seat height adjustments as well as telescopic steering. The 2 Din audio is decent and it comes with bluetooth and steering mounted controls including phone answer/disconnect/bluetooth buttons. Engine is peppy and smooth you will not be worried about the three cylinder vibrations. Gearshifts are smooth A/C is powerfull and it gives the confidence factor. No alloywheels for any variants abs and two airbags are only in zxi(o) version. Hope this helps
quakerme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 07:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
compare the looks kwid wins handsdown the vehicle is an eyecatcher, ingress is a bit tight however the 2Din infotainment will make you Smile, turn on the ignition and the cookie crumbles. The knob selector looks like a premium big size A/c blower knob. Engine starts with a light judder which can be felt and the drive lacks Peppiness. Vehicle comes with only front power windows and the switch is placed onto the dashboard, audio lacks life and you will feel that ur in a budget amt for the rest of the ride.
Celerio looks good from the front and the rear looks like the designer was not happy with his paycheque. Zxi variant comes with a 4 door power window and the switches are placed on the Handrest along with the side mirror controls. No seat height adjustments as well as telescopic steering. The 2 Din audio is decent and it comes with bluetooth and steering mounted controls including phone answer/disconnect/bluetooth buttons. Engine is peppy and smooth you will not be worried about the three cylinder vibrations. Gearshifts are smooth A/C is powerfull and it gives the confidence factor. No alloywheels for any variants abs and two airbags are only in zxi(o) version. Hope this helps
Thank you very much for the quick and sharp comparison, straight to the point. We had a test drive of Celerio last week (again) and felt the same. The issues I faced during the previous test drive never resurfaced.So, we are leaning towards Celerio now. Think it's a better overall package.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 08:11   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the user reviews, the 1.0L engine on Celerio is tried and tested by Maruti for 7 years now. The Kwid lacks even a basic feature like ORVM adjustment, atleast the 1.0L version should have had wheels with 4 bolts considering the higher torque.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 09:25   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for the quick and sharp comparison, straight to the point. We had a test drive of Celerio last week (again) and felt the same. The issues I faced during the previous test drive never resurfaced.So, we are leaning towards Celerio now. Think it's a better overall package.
There is a 25k discount happening for celerio amt for all varients and another 5k if the spouse is working in as a teacher or a govt employee, zx(o) version is 6.10-.30=5.90L onroad.
quakerme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 09:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:
My parents use Celerio AMT for the last 1.5 years and it really is a very good car. It is the best AMT city hatchback in my opinion and in fact feels quite premium too for the class (E.g., Speed-sensing door lock, ICU and Bluetooth, the best gear info display below 20 lakhs ). Unless you would want to wait for a Tiago AMT, this is the best you can get at the price point. Steep inclines with load is the only area where you need to be extra-careful with the Celerio but I presume that is the case with all small AMTs.
VinsWagen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:28   #70
BHPian

My in-laws have a Celerio AMT and its an absolutely a gem of a car. Compact, easy-to-drive and very convenient. Offering a manual control in an AMT is a good option for spirited drivers but the chances of someone using it would probably be <5% in their ownership life.

Which is why I felt giving a dial like in the Kwid is much more convenient and frees up a lot of space in the centre.
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 22:38   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Superb review Omkar, thanks for sharing
I have experienced the Celerio AMT quite well and here are my observations which will tell how important is creep and manual mode in an AMT:

1. Overtaking a fast moving bus on a two lane single carriageway
even before the overtake was completed; the car up shifted to fourth. :4639185480:

The point of concern here is, Alto or Celerio etc have a better power delivery than the Kwid, which already has a weak mid range. Those cars can still manage to bring you out of tight situations, though in tight condition. But what about the Kwid? Neither you have the engine nor the gearbox, all the driver relying here is on the mercy of electronics. IMO, not the car for tight overtakes at all.

2. Driving uphill
Creep mode in Alto or Celerio is not useful just in the city. Try to drive these cars uphill, if you are on a gentle slope (Not the first-second gear ones) and have to stop midway for any reason. The creep function helps a lot there, release the brake pedal and the car slides back by say 6 inches and then it starts moving ahead slowly like some sort of hill hold..
I did a TD along with a colleague who wanted to buy the Kwid AMT and since I had the Celerio with me he insisted I drive it once and check it out. I can second these points and I had notified this earlier too before the review or my TD happened. I didn't comment anything after the TD but gave my colleague the keys to my Celerio and he booked the ZXI AMT this weekend.

Well there's cost cutting all around the car as well as the AMT. It's the most poorly programmed of the bunch of Magnetti, ZF and this one by Bosch? The duster is the smoothest of all I must admit. Either its the bigger engine or a better clutch control that makes the difference. Lets keep that apart. Coming to the Kwid, the transmission has its own mind of shifting and that is quite monotonous. In contrast my car understands when I am actually interested in an upshift. Modulate the pedal and that will ensure no surprises at all. Even downshifts are accurate and it drops one or two gears without effort.

In the case of the kwid, if the car has reached a certain speed, the transmission upshifts without giving a damn on whether the driver wants it or not. This makes overtaking and some enthusiastic acceleration attempts go bust and you will end up with a lag just when you are in the middle of an overtake.

And creep mode just as I expected is annoying not in traffic but during parking. You jab the pedal and then brake since the car accelerates more than required. In my car, creep is a fixed 6-7kmph which allows me to concentrate on the surroundings rather than controlling my speed. Hence I make it a point not to touch the accelerator since that will ensure a safe parking and if there is a bump somewhere out of notice it will be caused at a slower speed thus reducing the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Driving the Kwid AMT

Starting the Kwid AMT: Turn the key into ON position and you'll hear a wheezy sound. No need to worry, that's just the AMT gearbox initialising. Slot the shift control dial to N position, press the brake pedal and crank the engine after 3 seconds (it won't start if you don't wait). With the brake pedal pressed, turn the dial from N to D mode and off you go! If the brake pedal isn't pressed, the system warns you with 4 beeps and the 'foot on brake pedal' light.
. ]
This itself shows how basic the whole setup is and the lesser premium being charged. In the Magnetti marellii transmissions, the transmission pump primes itself and charges the hydraulics as soon as the driver door is opened. This will ensure there is no delay before starting. Hence as soon as I open the door of the car in the morning I can hear the whine and start the car instantly. Though this 3sec wait is not a big deal, sometimes when we might have to start the car in a hurry or when we forget to move off in a signal and need to start it immediately, this three second wait might end up becoming annoying.

As GTO rightly told, they could have rather charged 10k extra and provide us a better package wrt transmission than ending up with this setup. That time it would definitely be a way better alternative to the Alto and a worthy competitor to the Celerio. But at the moment, I personally wouldn't buy one and would prefer a WagonR AMT for the same price.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 10:13   #72

Renault Kwid AMT - Ownership Review ( 1.5 Months and 1200 kms )

Prelude - How and why i brought the car.

The quest for an automatic had begun. The requirement list was drawn, small car, easy to maintain, easy on the budget and should stand a little bit of abuse. The Hyundai was never a contender and the maruti was a bit too common. Kwid 800 was launched and wifey decided she would try learning on the manual. We booked a Kwid in Sep 2015 even before the test drives were available. Once i test drove the car, the lack in power was a nagging worry. The waiting time was roughly 3 months. This was when rumours on the AMT started trickling in. The booking was kept on hold and we started scrounging the net to check for updates. The Delhi motor show was much anticipated, Team-bhp was checked every 1 hr for updates, hooked on to the twitter feed of Renault and a few motoring magazines. The announcement of 1.0L and AMT calmed my nerves. These announcements also gave the S.A assigned to me a little peace of mind. The booking was put on hold till the AMT was launched. Since my booking was from 2015, the sales guys assured me that i would ideally be taking the first Easy-R delivery of the Kwid in Bangalore. The week before the formalities were done and the handover was to be made, i was not in town. So ended up being not the first owner of Easy-R in Bangalore.

Introduction - The test drive route.
Before a ownership review comes a mandatory long trip. The route selected was Bangalore-Mysore (Mysore road)-Gundalpet- Bandipur-Vythiri-Thamarassery-Kozhikode.On the return journey, use the Kanakpura road for Mysore-Bglr to get into 2 lane traffic. This route had its share of 2 and 4 lane highways, ghat roads (Undulated stretches), hairpins ( thamarassery) and city traffic. The plan was to travel till Vythiri, stay there, and then continue to Kozihkode the next day morning. On the return leg, the idea was to take the Begur-Bavali route back to Bangalore if i felt climbing the thamarassery hairpins was risky.

The lack of a manual gear shifter and creep functions are what has made a lot many amongst us cynics to this car. For the last 4 years the cars i have been driving were the 1.6 Tdi Vento, 1.6 Baleno Lxi ( the old one), and a friend's Duster Awd. These cars have enough torque/bhp and are good on the road. My shift was from these 1.6 engines to a 1.0L AMT. The transition was never easy. Profanities echoed between the A and C pillars of the car in the initial 2 weeks of ownership. Now onto the test drive trip.

Phase 1 - Bangalore to Mysore via Mysore road. 4lane highways.
We started of at 5.30am on a Friday and maintained a healthy ~90kmph till Mysore. Since the relationship between me and the car was pretty new, we were getting along like a couple on a honeymoon. The only thing we achieved was getting to know each other. I was trying to coax the ECU to downshift a gear for a overtake manoeuvre. And she would shift 2 gears down. I would immediately lift off from the a-pedal, and we would lose all momentum. The stretch was covered in 2.45hrs with very little morning traffic. The take away were simple. The AMT box is not like a manual. Don't treat it like a manual.

Conclusion:-
The gear shift is slow. If you are finicky about what gear you are in, then ensure you practice all your swear words well in advance. Think like a truck driver and not like a racing driver.

Momentum and inertia are your friends. Not torque and rpm.

Phase 2 - Mysore - Vythiri.
Took a break for breakfast at Mysore and started the second leg ie Mysore - Vythiri. The stretch was sober except for a couple of elephant sightings in Bandipur forest. The seating is pretty upright, just like you sit on a office chair. I find the seating on the Baleno; lower with legs stretched to the pedals; more comfortable on long journeys. Sitting upright makes my legs cranky after 4 hrs of driving. The ground clearance and suspension settings are a boon and you don't have to do your maths when a speed breaker comes up. On the baleno i had to think of the load, the speed, the height of the speed breaker, presence of pot holes after the speed breaker etc. On the Kwid, you slow down, jump and then continue. As we entered the roads in Wayanad and increasing traffic the A pillar on the driver’s side started giving me trouble.. It blinds everything approx. at your 2'0 Clock. This was very scary on medium (30-40kmph) right hand turns. The chances to miss those jay walkers from the RHS on very narrow roads is also high.

There this instance when we were cruising at around 60kmph for a while and then had to take a turn and climb a steep slope. The AMT box assumed we were still on level roads, climbs the slope a little bit, shifts up from 2nd to 3rd, realize that it is the wrong gear and shifts down to 2nd. It then held onto that gear till the whole climb was done. Even though the engine sound was terrible, after several instances like this, the amt box gave me the confidence to climb the hairpins on the route back. I dropped the plan for the longer Bavali route on the return journey post this. I believe the gearbox considers the load on the engine, and not just the rpm, for shifting a gear. I never felt for once, a lack of confidence, when climbing inclines due to a wrong selection of gear.

This was the stretch where i started having a bit of liking towards the car. This was also the stretch where the car gave me a little bit of hope and confidence. This was the stretch where i started to feel that i hadn't bought a Lemon after all.

Conclusion.
A pillar. Be careful on right turns. Sit up, check twice. On climbing inclines, use the A pedal like on a Activa. Press a little bit more until you feel is sufficient. Forget about what gear the car is on. It is difficult, and takes a little bit of getting used to for converts. Works perfectly fine for newbies.

Phase 3 - Vythiri - Kozhikode (Hairpin, downhill)
The stay was at Vythiri Village. Had a good sleep, hearty breakfast and started the next day at around 9.30 to avoid any fog and tiredness. I was very skeptical about the hairpins at thamarassery after reading the official review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
....Not so with the Kwid where you'll have to depend on the brakes only. This can get pretty unnerving on downhill slopes & mountain roads. Continuous downhill driving can overheat the brakes. What's worse, if you gain a bit of speed or take your foot off the accelerator, the transmission will upshift (the last thing you want when rolling down)!! Solution = Manipulate and keep the speed low to prevent an upshift....
. My plan was to have multiple breaks if there was even a slight hint of bad breaks. Oh boy, was i pleasantly surprised. On the declines the ECU is brilliant on holding the gear. The hairpins started, there was a i10 (local number plate) in front of me. I kept a safe 4 second gap from it. The Kwid was brilliant with the gear shifts here. She maintained the speed on the right gear. All i had to do was tap the breaks when a curve approached, tap the accelerator out of the curve , lift off and way behold she is on the right gear, right speed with engine breaking. I had touched my brake pedal way lesser than i saw the brake lights on the car i was following. My wife was worried as i was smiling and talking to the car. I think i was also getting jealous at some point, because the AMT box was doing better than what i would have done. The average mileage went through the roof as we were engine breaking the whole time. I was perfectly fine on the Thamarassery hairpins and i couldn't punch any holes in the way it drove.

Conclusion.
All cynicism on continuous downhill driving overheating the breaks and transmission upshifting on continuous slopes can be put to rest. The ECU is better than me.

Phase 4 - Kozhikode (city+ Bangalore city)

Stayed at a friend's place in Kozhikode. Had a brilliant Biryani. Slept like a log. And then took the car to the city. This is the Kwid's home ground. (I am including all my findings from the time the Kwid was in Bangalore under this section). I have never extensively used a automatic car. And i think that is the only reason i did not miss the creep function that many were worried about. And i have a inkling that the lack of a creep function got the criticism just because the idea was out of the box. I like to think of it like an Activa. What if the Activa was designed so that unless the brakes are on, the scooter creeps forward?. Coming back to the topic, i have the practice of using the handbrake on signals. And in the Kwid, it works perfectly for me. I do not miss holding the break at signals.
The next worry in the city is the small parking spots. I fumbled several times in the initial days. It was hard for me to get the Kwid to inch fwd. But after about 2 weeks with the car, this becomes easy. Think of the gearbox like using a gearless scooter. I never had any issues with the car in the city. The pot holes are dismissed off with disdain and Speed breakers ( Bangalore ones) are what we trot on. Mileage is decent. The AMT gear shifts are slower than what you want it to be. You really start appreciating DSG gear boxes.

Conclusion
The Easy-R is easy in the city. And Comfy. The A/C needs to be more effective.

Phase 5 - Kozhikode - Mysore (Hairpins - Uphill)
This was the leg in the journey i was seriously worried about before the start of the trip. I had a plan B route just in case the Kwid did not give me enough confidence on taking this route. I was thinking of all scenarios that could go wrong. The downhill journey on the ghat road instilled in me some confidence. And that triggered the idea that Renault Engineers would certainly have considered all these scenarios while testing and tuning the ECU. Worst case, they had 9 months, from the time the AMT was announced till the time it was launched.

Just like we came downhill, my plan was to get a good lead car, i could follow. A Kerala RTC bus poured a bucket load of water on my plan, and managed to get right in front of me. We started the ghats/hairpins and there were no issues at all. I did not notice a single wrong shift. 2 turns into the stretch, the KSRTC driver signals me to overtake, and that was done slowly. Then for a while there was no traffic in front of me and i was doing my own pace, until we reached a convoy by around the 6th(?) Hairpin. We had to stop on a very steep slope. Incline Handbreak starts are a breeze with this car. Even on very steep inclines, i felt this as a good arrangement. Handbrake on, Accelerator on until you feel a small vibration, release handbrake immediately, and the car takes off. Not an inch backwards. Only one foot along with the handbrake is required.

The stretch from Bandipur to Mysuru for about 40kms, my wife drove, which was surprisingly un-eventful. The last time my wife drove the Baleno for 15mins, i ended up being a nervous wreck. I have never let her sit on the drivers seat after that. This time it was better. Much Much better.

Conclusion.
Handbrakes are critical. Very. If you even doubt their functionality, get them checked, immediately. No issues with very steep climbs, stop and go on inclines. If you are planning to get a car to learn driving, all AMTs will give you peace of mind. Truck loads.

Phase 6 - Mysore - Banglore ( Kanakpura road)
Being used to torque-y 1.6 diesels, overtaking on 2 lane highways is daunting at first. Especially with a 1.0L petrol AMT .Driving this car involves a little bit of unlearning and learning. I had given up on overtaking during the first leg. Overtaking happened very rarely, and every time we overtook something, i would lovingly pat the steering .Almost 2 sec gap for shifting a gear, and the opportunity was lost. After a while i had got used to this particular AMT box. Overtaking stops being precision driving. It becomes a drama that unfolds, with a story line. The script: keep a decent distance from the vehicle you want to overtake, plan your overtake, floor the pedal 1/2 a sec before what you normally would, wait, cringe at the downshift, bob your head, and ta-da, the overtaking begins. Yes, a manual selector or a Sport mode (with a higher rpm cut off) would certainly improve things. Renault, i feel should seriously look into this.

note: My wife did complain about the lag when overtaking. She has driven a total of ~ 50 km after getting her license. Of that ~40 is on the Kwid.

Conclusion
Plan your overtaking on 2 lanes roads. Avoid all unnecessary risks. In doubt, follow.
Mail Renault to add a Sport mode.

Other points.
  • A/C - not very quick to cool. Bought magnetic snug fit shades for all windows. Much better now.
  • Blower speed at 1 is way too high. And noisy.
  • Driver/ passenger door handles act as proper arm rests.
  • Speakers are a terrible let down. Only 2 in the front.
  • The Nav and Maps are decent. Warns you of official speed limits.
  • Turning radius is bad.
  • Boot space is good. Very Good.
  • Engine noise. You would want your mute button to mute that as well, esp during high rpms.

The Renault team has the habit of not over doing stuff. They make what they are required to do.Barely. But they do a brilliant job of what they are supposed to do . I was and is still impressed (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4132628) with what Renault has done with the Duster AWD . And that was the primary reason the Kwid was considered.

Verdict.
If you are looking for a driver’s car, if you are worried about your rpms and the gear selection, if you are worried about apex and exit speeds, look beyond all AMTs . DSG is what you want.

In real life, the point of taking an AMT is to not bother with the gear most of the time, and i think in the last 2 months, the un availability of a gear selector on the AMT hasn’t bothered me much. If you are confused between the Maruti's and the Renault the only things to differentiate between them are the availability of service centres and the suspension. Maruti has a brilliant network of service centres and the Kwid has a brilliant suspension setup. Apart from that, there isn't much to differentiate.

The Kwid has also given me the confidence to take it on small trips which are less than 7 hrs. It's not as comfortable as any of my previous cars. But its 2 segments down , and does a decent job at that price point.

The gripe with the Kwid AMT will last till you realize what the car was made for. The car was not made to burn rubber, or do handbrake turns, or do redline shifts. It was made for my Wife, so she can commute from Point A to Point B , with minimum Fuss. And the occasional road trips. And it does precisely that.

**The lack of pics are because i never felt any pic would add more value to what is covered in the official review . There is a picture of everything except the door handle.
vijayrajthampi is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 12:09   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayrajthampi View Post
The Kwid has also given me the confidence to take it on small trips which are less than 7 hrs. It's not as comfortable as any of my previous cars. But its 2 segments down , and does a decent job at that price point.

The gripe with the Kwid AMT will last till you realize what the car was made for. The car was not made to burn rubber, or do handbrake turns, or do redline shifts. It was made for my Wife, so she can commute from Point A to Point B , with minimum Fuss. And the occasional road trips. And it does precisely that.
Nice report vijayraj. Since I do this exact route very frequently, could nicely visualize your journey and relate to the various sections mentioned. This route is a good test for an AT car since it has a mix of 4 lanes, 2 lanes, fast stretches, twisties, hairpins and very heavy traffic sections. Good to hear that the Kwid AMT mostly managed it well.

The lack of a manual mode is definitely still a big issue. Major miss from Renault.

Edit: you should expand this into an ownership report. Nothing like a real world experience of a car by its owner in different situations.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th January 2017 at 12:11.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 18:01   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
... The lack of a manual mode is definitely still a big issue. Major miss from Renault.
Edit: you should expand this into an ownership report. Nothing like a real world experience of a car by its owner in different situations.
Thank you Rajeev for your kind words.

There are few things I wanted to cover before expanding into a ownership report,
1. Use a Maruti AMT for a day. Right now, my views are a bit biased.
2. Complete the at least one service.
3. Get a few good friends for feedback.
4. Get a perspective from my wife who is learning to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
...Compact, easy-to-drive and very convenient. Offering a manual control in an AMT is a good option for spirited drivers but the chances of someone using it would probably be <5% in their ownership life. Which is why I felt giving a dial like in the Kwid is much more convenient and frees up a lot of space in the centre.
Agree. This is exactly how i feel after a month and a half of ownership. I missed the manual selector during the initial days especially while attempting tight overtaking maneuvers. For a spirited driver any AMT car will not make him smile. We tap for a shift, and then a song later, there is the shift.

Most of the threads on any AMT box talks about techniques that one learns to manipulate the ECU to downshift. In real life scenarios, i believe, its all about learning these techniques over the period of ownership than using the M mode consistently. I am not claiming that the Kwid has the perfect arrangement. Far from it. Its just that i feel its not something i cant live without on an AMT.

And on a lighter note, the space in the middle is the perfect place for a water bottle. It is almost never that we keep 2 water bottles on each door, one for the driver and one for the passenger.
And as per Murphy, the the bottle is almost always not on the door of the thirsty person.

** Contemplating: I really *need* to use a Maruti AMT for an entire day before being judgmental. Not available on Zoom Car/ Miles.

Last edited by vijayrajthampi : 24th January 2017 at 18:10.
vijayrajthampi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 22:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayrajthampi View Post
Verdict.
If you are looking for a driver’s car, if you are worried about your rpms and the gear selection, if you are worried about apex and exit speeds, look beyond all AMTs . DSG is what you want.

In real life, the point of taking an AMT is to not bother with the gear most of the time, and i think in the last 2 months, the un availability of a gear selector on the AMT hasn’t bothered me much. If you are confused between the Maruti's and the Renault the only things to differentiate between them are the availability of service centres and the suspension. Maruti has a brilliant network of service centres and the Kwid has a brilliant suspension setup. Apart from that, there isn't much to differentiate.

I own the K10 AMT. I live in Chandigarh and I keep driving to the hills. Trust me, the manual mode of the K10 is a big plus driving in the hills(mostly uphill). The car downshifts unnecessarily if not in the manual mode uphill. This apart, taking tight steep uphill hairpin bends is rather comfortable in the manual mode holding the car in 1st gear. Then the lack of creep function is a must for me as I keep travelling the the overcrowded Ludhiana city which has numerous traffic jams and thus a lot of bumper to bumper driving. The Kwid is a looser here too as it does not have the creep function. Another thing which bothers me about the Kwid is the plastic sump. A plastic sump can never make me comfortable over kuccha Himachal roads.
jassi_jeeper is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks