Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2017, 19:03   #301
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Anyone from Bengaluru knows about Hot Tracks, Victoria Road?

Carryboy in Thailand recommended them as dealers for their roof carriers for new Fortuner. I ordered a silver color carrier with 10,000/- advance to Hot Tracks agent in Gurugram (Bimbra 4x4) on 4th April when one Mr. Ramesh of Hot Tracks asked me to pay advance and promised to send the carrier within 10 days.

After a month and on persistent inquiries Bimbra4x4 (Mr Taran) told me to pick up the carrier. I paid him balance money through credit card (21,127/-). When i opened the package right there, it was black color and without basic clamps used to attach with roof rails.

I asked him (Bimbra 4x4) to refund the money to which he said he will pay back in cash next day. When i called him for money, he said he can't return as he has already paid to Hot Tracks. He can pay only after the concerned person Mr. Ramesh gives him a green signal.

And Mr. Ramesh is neither responding to calls nor to WhatsApp.

So, does anybody knows who the owner/senior person is in Hot Tracks. Is their reputation so bad?

Thanks in advance.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 07:26   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
The turbo too,according to Mr.trainer,kicks in from the word go(!?).Is east really the new black?
I guess one of the reasons for downsizing the turbo was to make it responsive at low RPM and provide more low end torque. The new 1GD engine produces 370NM at 1200RPM which Toyota calls low speed torque; (370NM is more than the maximum output of the previous 1KD engine!) and the engine produces its max torque of 450NM between 1600RPM to 2400RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Does the Fortuner too have a Mechanical Fan for radiator cooling that also has a slip clutch?
Yes, belt driven fan with a clutch.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 15:00   #303
BHPian

I recently got the fortuner, and when i try to switch on the navigation, the navigation card seems to be missing. Has anyone else faced this problem or do I need to purchase one as an accessory?
shovan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 01:09   #304
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
I recently got the fortuner, and when i try to switch on the navigation, the navigation card seems to be missing. Has anyone else faced this problem or do I need to purchase one as an accessory?
The navigation works via the SD Card, which comes separately and is handed over/ installed by the dealer at the time of delivery.

Please check with your dealer.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 15:09   #305
BHPian

I have an issue with my new Toyota fortuner the "LED Headlights are not adequate in opposite traffic scenario" . In case of four lane highway the lights are okay as we don't have any opposite lights due to the concrete boulders/plants in-between. Then i checked with three other Fortuner owners they too have the same complaint, to which the dealers simply say no one else complained. Then my friend lodged complaint to Toyota directly by mail and they direct to the dealer and he gets the same old reply from the dealer. Then when insisting on the problem he got a reply that we have maintained the Indian Motor vehicle standards by the dealer. But we do drive cars for the past 30 years and when other manufacturers vehicles and even their old innova which has run 3,50,000 kms has better lighting their reply is evasive. So by refusing to solve this issue Toyota is putting the lives of its customers into danger by providing inadequate lighting. The light seems to focus low and due to auto levelling the lights are unadjustable by the customers. People driving fortuner in cities and four lane will not be able to feel it so they take advantage of it and instead of providing a proper solution they make us feel Toyota is no different from other manufacturers

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 12th May 2017 at 15:11.
Old 12th May 2017, 21:01   #306
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
I have an issue with my new Toyota fortuner the [b]"LED Headlights are not adequate in opposite traffic scenario"
With the limited driving I have done on the new Fortuner, I haven't experienced any inadequacy.

The New Fortuner has the "cooler color" Bluish White LED lights with higher color temperature, whereas the older Innova has the "warm color" yellowish white light of lower color temperature. Hence there will be difference in visibility.

I own a Creta and it has very good headlights (with the warmer yellowish white beam). But, every time I drive a Creta immediately after driving the Fortuner, I have always found the Creta's headlights to be inadequate.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 22:43   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have an issue with my new Toyota fortuner the "LED Headlights are not adequate in opposite traffic scenario" . In case of four lane highway the lights are okay as we don't have any opposite lights due to the concrete boulders/plants in-between. Then i checked with three other Fortuner owners they too have the same complaint, to which the dealers simply say no one else complained. Then my friend lodged complaint to Toyota directly by mail and they direct to the dealer and he gets the same old reply from the dealer. Then when insisting on the problem he got a reply that we have maintained the Indian Motor vehicle standards by the dealer. But we do drive cars for the past 30 years and when other manufacturers vehicles and even their old innova which has run 3,50,000 kms has better lighting their reply is evasive. So by refusing to solve this issue Toyota is putting the lives of its customers into danger by providing inadequate lighting. The light seems to focus low and due to auto levelling the lights are unadjustable by the customers. People driving fortuner in cities and four lane will not be able to feel it so they take advantage of it and instead of providing a proper solution they make us feel Toyota is no different from other manufacturers
Hi, to be honest there is no issue with the LED headlights, nor with the brightness nor the throw. Your concern is valid with every car in this situation (single lane driving & cars coming from the opposite side). The problem is with the attitude of the people who drive in high beam on such highways. Also Toyota may not have any solution to this, nor will they increase intensity of their existing headlight setup as that will blind the opposite person and he may bang into you. So here are some of the things you can do;

1) Upgrade the fog lamps to brighter bulbs
2) Upgrade the fog lamps to LED
3) Install LED bar
4) Drive more carefully

All the best
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 00:12   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
With the limited driving I have done on the new Fortuner, I haven't experienced any inadequacy.

The New Fortuner has the "cooler color" Bluish White LED lights with higher color temperature, whereas the older Innova has the "warm color" yellowish white light of lower color temperature. Hence there will be difference in visibility.

I own a Creta and it has very good headlights (with the warmer yellowish white beam). But, every time I drive a Creta immediately after driving the Fortuner, I have always found the Creta's headlights to be inadequate.
Sir as i said i do drive regularly a Merc E class with LED head lights with bluish white throw and the visibility is great in it. Also i was driving a creta in which i clocked 50,000 Kms in an year and never felt it inadequate. The fortuner lights are brighter than creta's but the throw is good.

The LED lights are brighter in the fortuner but the problem i find is with the throw which seems to focus more on the floor rather than projecting it little higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hi, to be honest there is no issue with the LED headlights, nor with the brightness nor the throw. Your concern is valid with every car in this situation (single lane driving & cars coming from the opposite side). The problem is with the attitude of the people who drive in high beam on such highways. Also Toyota may not have any solution to this, nor will they increase intensity of their existing headlight setup as that will blind the opposite person and he may bang into you. So here are some of the things you can do;

1) Upgrade the fog lamps to brighter bulbs
2) Upgrade the fog lamps to LED
3) Install LED bar
4) Drive more carefully

All the best
Thank u Karan561 but please understand that i am not a new driver i have clocked more than 12 Lakh kilometers in various cars and 50% of my drive was in opposite traffic. I am not complaining the luminance of the Fortuner Head lights i am talking about the throw and i am used to driving with stock headlights only for all my vehicles and never felt the problem except in Fortuner. And this problem was acknowledged by 2 of my friends who own New fortuner.

New innova top end model comes up with the same LED lights i hope but the lights seems to solve the purpose, i strongly feel the throw is a problem incase of the Fortuner

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 13th May 2017 at 00:17.
pjegadeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 08:09   #309
BANNED

Quote:
The LED lights are brighter in the fortuner but the problem i find is with the throw which seems to focus more on the floor rather than projecting it little higher.
I understand what you are saying. Fortuner and top end Innova has auto headlamp leveller and the beam level adjusts itself based on loading.

Though these are auto leveling headlights the screws to adjust the headlight beam vertically and horizontally would still be there.

You need to ask them to check whether it is possible the increase the base beam height so that the beam falls a little further from where it falls now. I had done this in the old Octy which had auto levelers and the light always fell a bit short.

Quote:
New innova top end model comes up with the same LED lights i hope but the lights seems to solve the purpose, i strongly feel the throw is a problem incase of the Fortuner
Yes but those are not bi beam-led but only for low beam. High beam is a halogen.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:46   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The navigation works via the SD Card, which comes separately and is handed over/ installed by the dealer at the time of delivery.

Please check with your dealer.
Thanks I checked with the dealer, it seems they don't have stock of the sd cards and have to be called from the factory.
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:34   #311
BHPian

Hi, any suggestions for DIY painting of letters on the tyres. I am sure it will enhance the visual appeal of the T fort.
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:14   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Hi, any suggestions for DIY painting of letters on the tyres.
Easy to paint the tyres but tough to make it stick.

Painted tires are heated in their moulds at the factory and that is how their names hold on to the sidewall.

Quit it, it wont happen.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:17   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, any suggestions for DIY painting of letters on the tyres.
This thread will give you the answers. Here is a video of Bhpian anilntny's attempt at painting the letters white:
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:45   #314
BHPian

Many thanks for your advice Mr Devdath and daily driver. The paint marker is not permanent, it will get washed quite easily, either I keep on Re coating with the paint marker or as Mr Devadath advised to forget doing it.
Old 23rd May 2017, 00:04   #315
BHPian

Quote:
The paint marker is not permanent, it will get washed quite easily, either I keep on Re coating with the paint marker or as Mr Devadath advised to forget doing it.
Yes kindly forget this DIY on tyres. It will look ugly once the paint gets dirty and you can't clean it. So the only option is to repaint which is a cumbersome process.

If you can't live without it then better to go for RWL tyres. Although I would like to mention they are also very hard to maintain as I had them for around 70k in my Safari. It was a weekly or biweekly task to keep them shining like new. You have to clean the white part with chemical solvents like wheel & tyre cleaner to remove the accumulated dust and grime. If you have enough time and patience plus your running is very low then only go for it else stick to current setup.

Got some some old pics of my tyres the shine will definitely make your decision tough but don't forget the pain behind maintaining them.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-fb_img_1495476947764.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-fb_img_1495476961683.jpg  

Last edited by roby_dk : 23rd May 2017 at 00:10.
roby_dk is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed