Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 13:56   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Really sneaky on part of Toyota to do this. Interesting to know, if other car manufacturers are also, doing / planning to do, this? Wonder if such behavior can be noted in any way by some regulatory organization, at least in the initial few months of GST coming into effect.

That's how they took Fortuner from 18-odd to 32-odd in pricing. Always looking for an opportunity to milk the herd (us). It's disappointing and I doubt that even if regulatory agencies noted and reprimanded them for for this, it would hardly change anything. They are able to pull this off not because no one knows how they operate but they know that we know and they still do it and laugh their way to the bank. Lack of competition I guess. In some instances, it helps to have compliances kick in. Example, hybrid battery life warranty is mandated at 10 years in USA. Toyota/Lexus in India only offer 5 years.

After the braking fiasco with Prius and some other models, Toyota brand took a severe beating in USA. They are still coming out of the shadows of that past and have had to offer never before discounts on Camry (sorta like Maruti Swift Desire in terms of positioning in that part of the world) and Prius to earn people's trust and build back their reputation. Honda, Hyundai and Nissan give Toyota fierce competition there. In India, because of the diesel first mindset and lack of competing vehicles in various segments, Toyota has had a field day.

Really wish someone stood up to them and got the prices in competition zone, far away from daylight robbery-homicide that it currently is.
t2k4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 04:42   #347
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
Really wish someone stood up to them and got the prices in competition zone, far away from daylight robbery-homicide that it currently is.
The Fortuner will continue to be the king of the SUV segment as long as....

- it is reliable,
- remains niggle-free,
- offers Fill-it-Shut-it-Forget-it driving
- gives the owner the confidence to take it anywhere
- has one of the most efficient service system
- it ous a synonym for "PEACE-OF-MIND"

No matter what we call Toyota (day-light robbers, too proud, whatever...), they will continue to sell and that too at a premium.

The competition simply does not exist. Some of the Endeavour owners have reported serious niggles. Trailblazer & MU-X are DOA.
MAS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:20   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The competition simply does not exist. Some of the Endeavour owners have reported serious niggles. Trailblazer & MU-X are DOA.
The only worthy competitor can be the brand Mitsubishi and may be Isuzu. Both are least interested to counter Toyota.

If Isuzu was interested, they would have launched their face lifted MU-X instead of bringing in the older model and that too at a price, which would have made a difference [at least 8L or higher]. Mitsubishi are pretty clueless.

Endeavour might be superior [not in my books to be brutally honest] but the amount of niggles owners are facing isn't funny. But I just wish Toyota does some charity and lowers the price [GST effect or whatever] so that more people can go and buy this SUV.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 10:20   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

A very important point is reasale after 5 to 7 years. The fortuner will give you the down payment for your next upgrade from the resale value. Many people may not consider this, but for me, a large purchase has to have financial sensibility also.

About Chevy/Trailblazer, less said the better.

Isuzu is charging an ex-show room of Rs. 11 lakhs more for the MUX compared to the VCross. I don't see how they can make such a difference for both? The premium over a VCross should be ideally 5 Lakhs for the engine, auto transmission, extra sheet metal, etc, etc or maximum 7 lakhs more. The 4WD Isuzu given the dated power-train shouldn't have been more than 20 lakhs ex-show room. One thing they should realize is that for a person who has an budget of 32 lakhs on the road, will pay another 5 lakhs on the road for a better product.

Quote:
Unfortunately the competition is happy giving Toyota the edge. The top end 3.2 AT Endeavour and 4x4 AT Fortuner is too closely priced to give Ford any particular advantage. Toyota has established itself in India. Ford has some legacy problems related to product/service to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Endeavour might be superior [not in my books to be brutally honest]
I too feel the same. A better brochure doesn't make a better product. I wouldn't risk buying an Endy 3.2, I would rather go with a Toyota Fortuner.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:28   #350
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what about locking it from inside? Say, I am out for ~15 mins for an errand and my family is in the SUV, how do they lock themselves?
By default, when the driver opens the door from inside, that door alone is automatically unlocked. All other doors remain locked.

If the passengers needs to lock themselves, someone has to stretch out to the driver's door and press the lock button.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-toyotafortuner2017illuminatedcontrol.jpg

Quote:
The only worthy competitor can be the brand Mitsubishi and may be Isuzu. Both are least interested to counter Toyota.
You are right. Even though both Mitsu and Isuzu have the products, they are just beating around the bush instead of even planning to take the Fortuner Head-on.

Quote:
Endeavour might be superior [not in my books to be brutally honest] but the amount of niggles owners are facing isn't funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I too feel the same. A better brochure doesn't make a better product. I wouldn't risk buying an Endy 3.2, I would rather go with a Toyota Fortuner.
Since i owned the previous generation Endeavour, i can tell you that reliability was not an issue, but there was no peace-of-mind in the ownership. Something or the other would go wrong and I had to make frequent visits to the service centre. Every long drive would be a bit tensed and i would never take the car over 100 kmph.

When it was time to change the Endeavour, i never even considered the New Endeavour. I had only two choices; it was either going to be the Innova Crysta 2.8 Z AT or the Fortuner 4x4 2.8 AT. Coming to think of it, i haven't even seen the brochure of the New Endeavour.

Ended up buying the Fortuner and have thoroughly enjoyed the ownership. My car has clocked just over 3000 kms and i will be taking it for the second free service tomorrow.

I have the following issues to be sorted
- Outside smell is percolating into the car even when the aircon is in circulation mode.
- Accessories
> Metal Clips missing in the Sun Visors (Thanks to Dr. Kumar aka ecosport_rules for pointing out the missing clips)
> I am unable to change the colour of foot well lights as i am unable to connect the car with the "Toyota Leg Room Lamp" App.

I will ask the service guys to grease the drive shaft. Will keep this thread updated!!!

Last edited by MAS : 13th June 2017 at 12:52.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 01:34   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortuner is a no nonsense reliable and robust SUV.
Toyota ownership experience is one of its kind.

The fact of the matter is "Competition does not exist" Period.

Whatever is left of the so called competition, has either declared ,shut shop in India or about to declare.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 14th June 2017 at 01:45.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 18:30   #352
Senior - BHPian

I have been to the local dealer for 55k service of my Fortuner, I have a feeling that Toyota has been silently increasing the spares and service costs. The drive shaft boots were 4.5k earlier and the revised cost is about 8k + !!
Old 19th June 2017, 14:19   #353
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I have been to the local dealer for 55k service of my Fortuner, I have a feeling that Toyota has been silently increasing the spares and service costs. The drive shaft boots were 4.5k earlier and the revised cost is about 8k + !!
Strange when competition(Ford) is trying hard to reduce the spare parts and service cost, Toyota is on killing spree with its greedy philosophy. I wish someday somehow end users teach them a lesson by boycotting Toyota vehicles. BTW Ford service prices are much lesser and transparent then Toyota.
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:55   #354
Senior - BHPian

What could be Toyota's strategy in not launching the 2.4 litre Fortuner in India.?
Or Is it the right move as Ford is struggling with the close to zero sales of the 2.2 litre Endeavour
Old 23rd June 2017, 06:26   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What could be Toyota's strategy in not launching the 2.4 litre Fortuner in India.?
Simple, more profits on higher specced versions. The difference in production costs of 2,8 and 2,4 may be very little as both must be having similar architecture. As long there are enough customers for higher versions why bother launching lower variants.

FORD did this mistake of having too many variants and little supplies, remember there were no Endeavours in particularly Titanium for many months last year, now think if FORD had launched only one variant Titanium, at least till the time new Fortuner was away and had made sure enough are available, I am more than sure they could have sold everything they had even if they had launched Titanium @ 35 Lac- Ex-Showroom. Unlike Australian market where they launched this against Prado, here they went after Fortuner and messed up badly. Can be a good case study somewhere

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd June 2017 at 06:44.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 18:09   #356
BHPian

GST price has been updated on the Toyota India web site. Wondering how come the price reduction is same (2.1L) for all models, while the ex-showroom price is different ! i think Toyota is the best candidate for the govt to exercise the anti profiteering law in GST.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-fort.jpg  

LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 01:35   #357
Senior - BHPian

2.17 Lakhs reduction on ex showroom translates to much more for Onroad price

http://m.timesofindia.com/auto/cars/...w/59402787.cms
Old 2nd July 2017, 14:45   #358
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

A friend wanted to get some 4x4 upgrades on his 2017 4x4 MT Fortuner.

Posting the price list here from Bangalore ARB dealer for reference. These are pre-GST.

1. OME suspension for the Fortuner 2017- ₹84,972
2. Rear ARB Air locker with compressor- ₹1,36,725
3. ARB Summit bar - ₹1,65,461
4. ARB Safari snorkel - ₹51,917
5. ARB Summit rails & step - ₹1,06,992
6. LHS Recovery point - ₹15,427

Last edited by Tanmay K : 2nd July 2017 at 14:48.
Tanmay K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:52   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
A friend wanted to get some 4x4 upgrades on his 2017 4x4 MT Fortuner.

Posting the price list here from Bangalore ARB dealer for reference. These are pre-GST.

1. OME suspension for the Fortuner 2017- ₹84,972
2. Rear ARB Air locker with compressor- ₹1,36,725
3. ARB Summit bar - ₹1,65,461
4. ARB Safari snorkel - ₹51,917
5. ARB Summit rails & step - ₹1,06,992
6. LHS Recovery point - ₹15,427
Awesome list.
Please keep us posted with the pictures after the installation
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:29   #360
Team-BHP Support

Isn't summit bar a bit too steeply priced? Other items prices are on par with what we usually read. Or maybe that is the best one out there.

Please do share detailed pictures once it is done.

Most Viewed