Team-BHP - Toyota Fortuner : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Toyota Fortuner : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/183668-toyota-fortuner-official-review-38.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by getsurya (Post 4522178)
Hi Wrongturn- good to know that the cars issue is resolved. Keep an eye on the belt at regular intervals.

Exactly.

Won't be surprised if this new belt meets the same fate. It seems to be the case of belt rubbing against some part and this will not change with just the replacement.

Better to carry an extra fan belt if traveling to far off places.

After 2 years and 2 weeks, my Fortuner clocked 11,111 kms.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-11111-km.jpeg

As i write, the car is being serviced at Lanson Toyota, Pallikaranai.

I reported the following issues
- Outside smell entering the cabin while driving on the highway
- Rubbing noise when driving between 35 - 40 kmph

My SA, Rahul, as always, has been wonderful and knowledgeable. He always inspects the car while being serviced, which is very reassuring. Rahul checked the VIN and informed that my Fortuner was part of the recall for wiring harness inspection and taping.

The service levels of Toyota have been getting better after a dip i experienced last year. The car was allotted a service bay right in front of the customer lounge and i could see the car being serviced right in front of me.

The Propeller Shaft was also greased apart from the regular service and recall. As per the rubbing noise, i am scheduled to drive the Demo car to see if the rubbing noise is a common "feature" or is it an issue in my car.

Otherwise, the car is wonderful and i am extremely happy with the decision to buy a Fortuner.

Mileage - Tracked on Fuelio App (Full Tank to Full Tank Method)
Best Fuel Consumption - 14.37 kmpl
Worst Fuel Consumption - 10.06 kmpl
Average Fuel Consumption - 11.94 kmpl clap:

City : Highway driving - 50:50

Can anyone tell me the OTR or ex showroom price of the previous gen fortuner in Maharashtra. I'm planning to buy a used one and the one in question is the 2012-16 model, was it like 33L?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejinair (Post 4537657)
Can anyone tell me the OTR or ex showroom price of the previous gen fortuner in Maharashtra. I'm planning to buy a used one and the one in question is the 2012-16 model, was it like 33L?

I own previous generation Fortuner (4x4 AT). It was 33L OTR. Ex-showroom 28.3L in February 2016. This is excluding discounts though which varied from dealer to dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan (Post 4537755)
I own previous generation Fortuner (4x4 AT). It was 33L OTR. Ex-showroom 28.3L in February 2016. This is excluding discounts though which varied from dealer to dealer.

so I am guessing the 4x2 AT would have been around 31L, thank you

Friends - So i have made up my mind on getting home the Toyota Fortuner after years of dreaming about it and saving up.

I need your advice on the big question now 4X4 or 4X2. I'm not a off roader and do not intend to go into core off roading with the car. The maximum i might encounter are ghat roads and some steep climbs / really bad roads. Is it worth spending the 3L for the 4X4 if this is the case?

Also another dampener is i read that the ride quality of the 4x4 is harder and more bumpy than the 4X2 on account of the lesser tyre height on the 18 inch alloy. which is what is pushing me more towards the 4X2 . I'm going to book today and I'm still in 2 minds and kinda embrassed im not able to make up my mind so please help with your thoughts :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyvictor (Post 4539383)
I need your advice on the big question now 4X4 or 4X2 - I'm not a off roader and do not intend to go into core off roading with the car

Better stick with 4x4 only if you are considering Fortuner. It will not only help you in occasional tricky situations or any urges to travel beyond your comfortable boundaries but also get you more in Re-Sales as it will appeal to broader audience. But if you don't need a 4x4 why are you even considering Fortuner at first place? Is it just because of image Fortuner carries? It's ride is certainly harsher then Innova. I know Toyota sells a major portion in this variant but I don't understand the reasoning for choosing a vehicle like this without 4x4.

There should not be a major variation in the ride Quality of 4x4 and 2WD, although there is a slight difference in the tyre size- 4x4 gets - 265x60xR18 whereas 2WD gets 265x65xR17 so 17 might be a little more comfortable but given the overall suspension setup, difference may be too little On the contrary, you might have less feel from the steering with 17 inch tyres.

Quote:

Friends - I need your advice on the big question now 4X4 or 4X2 ...

I don't see a point buying a Fortuner without 4x4. Better buy an Innova.
Regarding not going off-roading, you can always start :D
I have gone to a lot of place where a normal 4x2 may face difficulty. 4x4 will give you added peace of mind.

I have heard from friends about Innova's belly getting scraped. The ride no boubt is better than the fortuner. Since the new one is not a full time 4 wheel drive you do get an option to drive it on 2 wheels. If you have the bling bling for it buy the 4x4. By the way are you considering AT or MT

Quote:

Friends - So i have made up my mind on getting home the Toyota Fortuner after years of dreaming about it and saving up

2 points.

1. A BOF SUV without 4WD/AWD is not worth the price or the compromise in features or comfort, irrespective of the brand.

2. If you are sure you dont need a 4WD, look at the overpriced Innova or the VFM Hexa, both in the AT Trim, they will keep you more than happy and can be driven anywhere a 2WD BoF SUV can go.

Quote:

Friends - I need your advice on the big question now 4X4 or 4X2 - :)

Many fellow members have prompted you to go for 4x4 or pick an Innova Crysta or Hexa. If you choose 4x2 still then IMHO recommend Fortuner instead of Crysta. The Fortuner or Innova AT gear boxes don’t support engine braking and you end up using brakes more than often, in an AT compared to MT. OTOH, on the Innova Crysta thread, I have read comments on the weak braking system of Innova Crysta fitted on the 2.8 AT Innova Crysta, and so I would suggest you to go for Fortuner 4x2 instead of Innova Crysta 2.8 AT.

Quote:

Friends - I need your advice on the big question now 4X4 or 4X2 ....

Bobby,

My advice is to go in for the 4x4. The reasons are as follows

- When you are driving a 2 ton plus vehicle, a 4x4 can get you out of any tricky situation.
- When you are spending over 32 Lakhs for a 4x2, a 3 Lakh premium (less than 10% more) will get you a 4x4.
- Since you have been dreaming about owning the Fortuner, i am sure you will keep it for a long period of time (say 7 years). In that case, it is better to go in for the 4x4 as there will be situations where you will miss the 4x4.
- I have driven the 4x2 extensively and the steering feels very light when compared to the 4x4. In other words, if you "Live To Drive"... get a 4x4.

Thanks for those inputs - Decision Made :-) 4X4. MT - Pearl white !!!. Now the wait begins !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyvictor (Post 4540284)
Thanks for those inputs - Decision Made :-) 4X4. MT - Pearl white !!!. Now the wait begins !

Excellent decision:thumbs up

I have a Super white 4x4 MT. I have done around 60,000km with it and I am happy with my decision. The iMT feature and the 6-speed manual transmission is a joy to use on spirited drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_rajesh (Post 4539754)
I have read comments on the weak braking system of Innova Crysta fitted on the 2.8 AT Innova Crysta, and so I would suggest you to go for Fortuner 4x2 instead of Innova Crysta 2.8 AT.

I disagree. I have an Innova Crysta 2.8 and dont' have any issue with braking. It is the same 2.8 engine but deturened to 350 kgm torque for better mileage. My only complaint is that the tyres are too skinny for the power and I plan to upgrade to 225 for the next change. My vehicle clocked 20K before front pads were changed.

That being said for me and SUV isn't and SUV unless it has 4x4. So, if someone can afford it best to get the Fortuner 4x4 over the Crysta. But getting 4x2 Fortuner probably has more prestige than the Crysta.