Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2020, 19:50   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
4x2 models in Fortuner comes with AT tyres. In 4x4 models they provide HT tyres
Is this a typo? Are you sure it is not the other way round?!
Old 19th January 2020, 21:22   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Is this a typo? Are you sure it is not the other way round?!
No my friend. It's not typo. Pl see following post of this review thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4134017 (Toyota Fortuner : Official Review)
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-screenshot_20200119212131.png  

rutvij is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 21:54   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No my friend. It's not typo. Pl see following post of this review thread
This is insane and ridiculous! Why on earth would a company like Toyota do that to a car like the Fortuner?!?!
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 08:44   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner BS6 Variants in leaked image:

Existing 2.8-liter oil burner will indeed continue to power the off-roader.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-toyotafortunerbs6engineoptions1536x659.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 12:51   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajesh for your suggestion. After your suggestion I researched these tyres. They really seem impressive......
I will definately check out Yokohama Geolanders tomorrow.
Have a look at latest Yoko-Geo AT G015 (manufactured in Japan)
Old 3rd February 2020, 18:45   #696
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

After lot of deliberation I have decided to go for a Fortuner Petrol as a replacement for my XUV. I like to drive and love SUVs, which makes me inclined towards Fortuner. I was considering BMW X1/Volvo XC40 but dropped the idea due to the ultra high premium these cars would command (~ INR 48L OTR). Somehow, in my mind I was unable to justify the extra 10-12L for luxury/status symbol, which may loose its sheen soon (This is my personal opinion so no offense meant to the owners of these vehicles, it was purely a case of mind over money).

However, before making the final plunge, I thought of just asking you experienced lot about:

- How has the experience been with the Fortuner?
- Is it a vehicle that could serve you for 10 years or more?
- Is rear seat comfortable? I already have an XUV and family is quite happy with the comfort on long drive. I know the comfort may not be comfortable but am hoping it is not a total downer. Most of the fortunes I have seen are chauffeur driven with the owners sitting at back and so assuming that it would be comfortable.
- How high are the servicing costs?

Thanks in advance.

Nish
Car-riedAway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 23:16   #697
BHPian

Petrol fortuner is a very rare vehicle, means a very low selling one. I don't think most of the members have any exposure to it. According to me, diesel is the way to go for big SUVs as the torque is considerably more and also available at lower revs. So before making any decision you should try to test drive both petrol and diesel back to back. Then decide which you like the best.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th February 2020 at 06:56. Reason: Punctuation errors.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 09:34   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
- How has the experience been with the Fortuner?
"EXCELLENT" OR "FABULOUS" is one word that explains the least of the feelings when some one asks me about my experience with my Fortuner after driving around 30,000 Kms within 5 years.
It just takes you anywhere and everywhere on the planet without saying "Need more power". No preparation required to ride. I dream of a place to visit, next moment, I can be at driver seat. Only two things that I check before I leave to any long drive is, air pressure in tires and Fuel in the tank. Other than this, I do not even know what are the other parts available in my car. Being T-Bhpian, this may be slightly exaggerated statement . But, this explains the reliability of Toyota.

Quote:
- Is it a vehicle that could serve you for 10 years or more?
They say, once a teacher, always a teacher. I modify it slightly and say, Once a Toyotian, always a Toyotian. And I am sure all Toyotians here agree to my modification. I was driving Toyota Qualis for 15 years and even today, I regret selling my Qualis since it had ZERO issues for 15 years. After I sold Qualis, per my own quote, I went for Fortuner and have spent 5 years. Till date, there is no regret as far as the purchase is concerned. I am sure, it will serve me another 10 years easily.

Quote:
- Is rear seat comfortable?
It depends on how you adjust middle seat and what is your family average height. We have distributed middle row space and last row space equally. So, for a height of 5'4" to 5'6", our family have not complained of space in rear seats. Definitely, middle row people who are 5'8" to 5'10" have also not complained about the space.
However, if the height increases beyond 5'6" in last row, then, it may raise a concern.

If you are talking about riding comfort, I have to say, it is hard compared my earlier car(Qualis). If you ask me the riding comfort within city(Humps, bad roads etc) comparison on a scale of 1-10, Qualis scores between 8 and 9 whereas Fortuner Scores 5. But on a long drive, on same comparison scale, Qualis scores 9 and Fortuner also scores 8

Quote:
- How high are the servicing costs?
Average 4K to 5K for minor services (45K, 35K services) and around 8-10 K INR for major services (40K, 50K Kms)

But, I will be very clear to the SA saying without my consensus, not even a single part or service can be done. Without this strict warrant, I had to pay around 13K INR once Since Engine Decarbonization was done without my consensus at 30K Kms Servicing

PS: All these are my own experiences and are for Fortuner Diesel. There may be slight variations for Fortuner Petrol Version. But, please check with owners

Finally, Will I recommend my friends to go for Fortuner? 100% YES

If in case, I sell my current one, will I go with another Fortuner again? Definitely YES.

Last edited by gkveda : 5th February 2020 at 09:46.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:58   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

After lot of deliberation I have decided to go for a Fortuner Petrol as a replacement for my XUV. I like to drive and love SUVs, which makes me inclined towards Fortuner. I was considering BMW X1/Volvo XC40 but dropped the idea due to the ultra high premium these cars would command (~ INR 48L OTR). Somehow, in my mind I was unable to justify the extra 10-12L for luxury/status symbol
I am actually in the exact same dilemma. I am super inclined towards a reliable petrol car with space but every time I read the review or post a query here on the forum the responses put me off my decision of getting a petrol SUV, folks always nudge me towards the diesel. Diesel doesn't make sense for me given we already have an Endeavour and this car would be driven not more than 8000KMs in a year. Being in NCR I don't want to buy another diesel SUV that I might struggle selling in 8 to 9 years. Honestly I don't want the pain to sell it in another state and all.

Would love to see you buying one. Wish you the best for the decision making.
karan85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:31   #700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have decided to go for a Fortuner Petrol as a replacement for my XUV. I was considering BMW X1/Volvo XC40 but dropped the idea due to the ultra high premium these cars would command
I won’t suggest you to for Petrol Fortuner, it will not only be a depreciation disaster, even though you currently plan to keep for 10 Years, it’s a long time and preferences/ earning changes.

There are 2 different situations - you don’t want to pay premium or you can’t afford. If you have money, will suggest to negotiate a deal on X1. After discounts it will be very close to Fortuner. Start with negotiating on ex-showroom and than compare all other expenses.

Quote:
How has the experience been with the Fortuner?
No one probably here owns a petrol Fortuner, I do have Petrol Innova which has same gearbox/ engine combo. It’s a good engine but for a SUV like Fortuner, nothing except for low speed/ idle noise that will be different. Diesel might have a better pull due to the high torque.

Quote:
- Is rear seat comfortable?
It’s so-so. Innova is far better and so will be X1/ Volvo.

Quote:
How high are the servicing costs?
Very cheap. BMW is also competitive though and you can buy maintenance packages as well.

In case, you don’t want to spend more money now, I will suggest you to wait or if it’s immediate requirement, reconsider Fortuner Diesel or some of the smaller VW/ Skoda cars being launched.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 15:27   #701
BHPian

My car has just come back from the 40k kms service with a total bill including tyre rotation and alignment of 10.5k. This time they have also changed the differential oil and brake fluid. Apart from that they kept the car for a day due to my glovebox issue which has still not been sorted. Another report has been sent to Toyota, wonder when they'll resolve it instead of making and sending multiple reports to Toyota. I must say the engineering prowess of Toyota is shining through. They've had me pay a part for the replacement of glovebox once already which was of course broken during their various inspections and they're pretty persistent on still following through every time my vehicle goes for servicing with no end in sight. It's been a quite a ride, nearing 2 years and 40k kms done but the glovebox has been their and mine achilles heel for so long that i'm wondering how i'll feel if and when they finally resolve it.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 16:04   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
................ It's been a quite a ride, nearing 2 years and 40k kms done but the glovebox has been their and mine achilles heel for so long that i'm wondering how i'll feel if and when they finally resolve it.
I frankly am quite surprised. This would have been as simple as a goodwill warranty which the dealer can punch in and the Area Manager can approve and they can simply install the correct part.

So either there is a mounting issue with the whole dashboard misalignment of which is causing the malfunction of the glove-box or the dealer hates you!

Now if we take the warranty thing out of the picture, it is highly unprofessional on their part to not being able to resolve an issue which is very evident. It does not take these many reports had it been a simple issue. Which brings me back to the point that there is something wrong with the mounting point of the dashboard i.e. in the metal body of the vehicle.
Please ask them to have a meeting with their Area Service Manager. He is no prime minister who cannot be approached. Please ask him to share what are the facts and what is the Root Cause Analysis which he has done and sent to the company.
Toyota is very stringent towards this. Every problem must have a root cause analysis and there is a traceability to the root of every part, defective or otherwise. Please ask him to show all these technical details. Since this is a vehicle owned by you, there is nothing confidential about it.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th February 2020 at 18:02.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 22:31   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
"EXCELLENT" OR "FABULOUS" is one word that explains the least of the feelings when some one asks me about my experience with my Fortuner after driving around 30,000 Kms within 5 years.

Finally, Will I recommend my friends to go for Fortuner? 100% YES

If in case, I sell my current one, will I go with another Fortuner again? Definitely YES.
Dear gkveda - Thanks for re-establishing my faith in the quality and reliability of a Toyota. People like you have convinced me to go for a Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won’t suggest you to for Petrol Fortuner, it will not only be a depreciation disaster, even though you currently plan to keep for 10 Years, it’s a long time and preferences/ earning changes.

There are 2 different situations - you don’t want to pay premium or you can’t afford. If you have money, will suggest to negotiate a deal on X1. After discounts it will be very close to Fortuner. Start with negotiating on ex-showroom and than compare all other expenses.
In case, you don’t want to spend more money now, I will suggest you to wait or if it’s immediate requirement, reconsider Fortuner Diesel or some of the smaller VW/ Skoda cars being launched.
Dear Turbanator - I know it would be a depreciating disaster today but you never know if the situation may change 10 years from now. Already there's too much of hue and cry nowadays about diesels polluting the environment and you never know if in 10 years situation may become extreme for diesels. I plan to keep this vehicle for 10 years. Also, in Delhi NCR, you cannot keep a diesel vehicle for more than 10 years. This is another depreciation factor where your return vehicle reduces considerably because the diesel vehicle won't be sold in Delhi as I move closer to the 10 year deadline.

I am sure about my situation - I don't want to pay premium for a car that would be too delicate for my handling. Coming from an XUV experience, where I can move the vehicle through our Delhi potholes and mini pools in monsoons, I am sure I won't be able to risk that in a Bimmer or a Volvo, however capable the vehicles may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Petrol fortuner is a very rare vehicle, means a very low selling one. I don't think most of the members have any exposure to it. According to me, diesel is the way to go for big SUVs as the torque is considerably more and also available at lower revs. So before making any decision you should try to test drive both petrol and diesel back to back. Then decide which you like the best.
Dear Sandeep - I drove both. The dealer I was talking to arranged for TD of a petrol vehicle owned by their MD. The dealer said that the demand for petrol Fortuner is slowly growing. close to 15% of Fortuners they sell are petrol ones. Thus, people in Delhi are thinking of petrol ones and I am not alone.

The update at my end is that the dealer I was talking to - Galaxy Toyota - says that a petrol vehicle is made to order and thus delivery period would be three months at least. Which means that they won't be able to provide a final quote and offers to me now. I have been asking for discounts and offers to be indicated to me based on current price but that is not working out with the dealer. I may have to now explore other dealers but I expect a similar response. I am thinking of waiting for some festive offers later this year or maybe waiting until December to go for the purchase, in case none of the dealers are able to offer anything good.
Car-riedAway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 22:48   #704
BHPian

The chances of getting any discounts on petrol Fortuner are nearly impossible because they are made to order and the product which is made only after getting booking is bound to sell. So no obligation to sell it on discount. You should not buy something for sake of discount, but buy what you like and you find better. Please do tell about your test drive of both and which you liked most.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 22:30   #705
BHPian

Leather seat maintenance:

Although a generic question, since I've a Fortuner, thought I'll ask here:

Friends, please recommend vendors (Bangalore based) who can clean\rejuvenate the leather seats on Fortuner. Mine is mid-2012 model.

I'd like to avoid the costly prospect of changing the leather. Your knowledgeable suggestions very welcome!

Most Viewed