Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 19:54   #766
BHPian
 
CEF_Beasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 682
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
I am content with the current 4*4 MT just the way it is.
Yes I agree the facelifted one is not a big update, also the manual facelifted fortuner will not see the torque upgrade as seen Australia so better get this one with 177hp, 23hp is not big!

But do get the 360 degree camera and the chamois interiors. Considering the facelift will be getting full black interiors.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:01   #767
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 4,055
Thanked: 12,140 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Are you sure about this timeframe?
With the kind of secrecy Toyota normally keeps, I doubt anyone can predict accurately. Early January makes sense as Toyota still get a lot of parts from overseas and most vendors will never have 2 different production lines for new and older.

New Innova dispatches will start around the end of this month to the dealers, if that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
the upgrades are simply not worth the additional premium - the current gen itself has seen hike of about 1.5-2 Lakh since its launch in 2017.
Also, as for schedule of facelift - I concur, i don't see it being available before next fiscal.
I am content with the current 4*4 MT just the way it is (and its taken a lot of effort to get here too).
As an Ex-owner of 4x4 Manual, I will suggest you to try Auto for extended time. Auto box on the Fortuner is well sorted, Auto holds to the resales better as well. To wait for new or pick the existing is your own decision, but if you can wait, no harm. There are chances that you may get some discounts when the newer ones start coming but this is not sure as Toyota handles market inventory exceptionally well.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th November 2020 at 20:10.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 22:41   #768
BHPian
 
On the Move's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai, Jodhpur
Posts: 41
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Yes I agree the facelifted one is not a big update, also the manual facelifted fortuner will not see the torque upgrade as seen Australia so better get this one with 177hp, 23hp is not big!

But do get the 360 degree camera and the chamois interiors. Considering the facelift will be getting full black interiors.
Thanks. Yes, the 360 cam and auto folding mirrors seem the only necessary accessories worth considering immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
With the kind of secrecy Toyota normally keeps, I doubt anyone can predict accurately. Early January makes sense as Toyota still get a lot of parts from overseas and most vendors will never have 2 different production lines for new and older.

New Innova dispatches will start around the end of this month to the dealers, if that helps



As an Ex-owner of 4x4 Manual, I will suggest you to try Auto for extended time. Auto box on the Fortuner is well sorted, Auto holds to the resales better as well. To wait for new or pick the existing is your own decision, but if you can wait, no harm. There are chances that you may get some discounts when the newer ones start coming but this is not sure as Toyota handles market inventory exceptionally well.
I completely agree. I have a feeling that if I end up buying right away, Toyota may start dispatching new versions starting Dec only, but if i wait, I may only see it coming in March/April. But yes you could be right, inventories are limited at the moment - no ready stock in the state, only pre-booked variants being given to dealers on first come basis - contacted almost all dealers across Rajasthan - same story everywhere. Also another interesting thing I noted, was that dealers support and allocate units and refer customers to each other. 4 dealers across Rajasthan. are aware of my requirement and had referred to each other to allocate a 4*4MT.

I agree with your observation on auto-box, it is indeed comfortable. I had experienced a TC's convenience in Creta during a 2 week drive across NE circuit, and then again with a Fortuner 4*2AT during lockdown trip from Mumbai to Jaipur. But since we have auto hatches and sedans, we want to have the last of those of those big 4*4 MTs that can pass on to next generation.

We want the MT for the effort and satisfaction of the drive - so prepared for what lies ahead. Also, the single digit fuel economy too is what we don't like - although should not be more than couple of points difference in both variants.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th November 2020 at 11:00. Reason: No acronyms please. You are requested to type in full form.
On the Move is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 23:48   #769
BHPian
 
Brishti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 331
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Been driving my cousin's 3 months old Fortuner daily and no matter what I do it's high beam always blinds people on the highway or even when I flash them people in the wrong lane.

Tried getting the lights reset via toyota service center but all they say is that "Sir High beam hai eyes mei too legi gi na, aur level low karra too low beam down hojaiga".

This car has auto leveling so does that not help in high beam?

Last edited by ajmat : 6th November 2020 at 21:48. Reason: grammer and spelling
Brishti is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th November 2020, 01:17   #770
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,909
Thanked: 2,316 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Been driving my cousins 3 months old fortuner daily and no matter what I do its high beam always blinds people on the highway or even when I flash them for people in the wrong lane.
Isn't that the point of high beam? One flash shoud be okay though but indeed, one must drive with low beams when there is traffic coming your way.
McLaren Rulez is online now  
Old 6th November 2020, 11:23   #771
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 767
Thanked: 1,164 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post

I agree with your observation on auto-box, it is indeed comfortable. I had experienced a TC's convenience in Creta during a 2 week drive across NE circuit, and then again with a Fortuner 4*2AT during lockdown trip from Mumbai to Jaipur. But since we have auto hatches and sedans, we want to have the last of those of those big 4*4 MTs that can pass on to next generation.

We want the MT for the effort and satisfaction of the drive - so prepared for what lies ahead. Also, the single digit fuel economy too is what we don't like - although should not be more than couple of points difference in both variants.
As an owner of a 2016 4x4 Manual Transmission Fortuner, I would whole heartedly recommend going for the manual version. I hated driving the over revving Auto Transmission of the Fortuner. The upshifts are slow too in full throttle scenario, instead it just revs upto 3000 rpm for no reason.
On the other hand the manual is just so engaging to drive. I have done around 1lakh km with it and I am totally happy with it.

Sharing some random pictures:
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img_3742.jpg


Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img_3735.jpg


Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img_3521.jpg

Regarding the 360 Camera system, I have installed it, but it's not that user friendly or rather useful I would say, when you need to do reverses multiple times, as the display goes off after disengaging reverse and needs to be enabled manually again by pressing the button.

Last edited by dean5545 : 6th November 2020 at 11:49.
dean5545 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:18   #772
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,789
Thanked: 1,576 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Sharing some random pictures
Did you go for a lift? Somehow the GC seems more than that of a stock Fortuner.

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th November 2020 at 12:42.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:31   #773
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 767
Thanked: 1,164 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Did you go for a lift? Somehow the GC seems more than a standard Fortuner.
I wanted to see if some one notices it.
I am running a 2" Old man Emu lift kit and BF Goodrich tyres.
dean5545 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:39   #774
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,789
Thanked: 1,576 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I wanted to see if some one notices it.
I am running a 2" Old man Emu lift kit and BF Goodrich tyres.
Thanks How has it helped, if at all, with the ride quality?
cool_dube is online now  
Old 6th November 2020, 12:56   #775
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 767
Thanked: 1,164 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks How has it helped, if at all, with the ride quality?
It's definitely more comfortable than the stock setup.The sharpness of the bumps are taken out. With full load it glides over surface imperfections. Have had it for only a week. Shall update further in a month's time after a long trip once I have driven in all circumstances.
dean5545 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 13:50   #776
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
high beam always blinds people on the highway or even when I flash them for people in the wrong lane.


This car has auto leveling so does that not help in high beam?
The High beams of this car are very strong and being LED's they pinch even in low beams but not a lot. You should not decrease the level too much since the lenses are same for Hi/Lo.

Auto leveling is only for low beams I think.
ajaiD is online now  
Old 6th November 2020, 14:57   #777
Senior - BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BLR
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 727 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
It's definitely more comfortable than the stock setup.The sharpness of the bumps are taken out. With full load it glides over surface imperfections. Have had it for only a week. Shall update further in a month's time after a long trip once I have driven in all circumstances.
Hey dean5545,
Could you please let me know from where you picked it?
Any contact information would be very helpful.
I have been trying to source a kit for my Fortuner (3L) but its not in stock.
Thanks
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 15:13   #778
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 767
Thanked: 1,164 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey dean5545,
Could you please let me know from where you picked it?
Any contact information would be very helpful.
I have been trying to source a kit for my Fortuner (3L) but its not in stock.
Thanks
Did you check with Air90? They are based in Chennai I believe. They should have stocks for it.
dean5545 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:59   #779
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,789
Thanked: 1,576 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
also the manual facelifted fortuner will not see the torque upgrade as seen Australia
Could you please elaborate? I do know that Toyota Australia no longer offers the M/T at all across all variants of the Fortuner now, presumably due to the manual transmission's incompatibility with higher tune of the engine. So, this could lead to two outcomes if the higher tune engine is indeed launched here:

a) M/T is dropped altogether, like in Australia

b) Toyota India continues to offer M/T with the current engine spec (but along with other upgrades?) and the A/T with the higher tune of the engine

Did I get that right?
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:08   #780
BHPian
 
CEF_Beasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 682
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Could you please elaborate? I do know that Toyota Australia no longer offers the M/T at all across all variants of the Fortuner now, presumably due to the manual transmission's incompatibility with higher tune of the engine. So, this could lead to two outcomes if the higher tune engine is indeed launched here:

a) M/T is dropped altogether, like in Australia

b) Toyota India continues to offer M/T with the current engine spec (but along with other upgrades?) and the A/T with the higher tune of the engine

Did I get that right?
Sorry I didn’t realise that Australia has dropped the manual altogether.

Quoting caradvice
Quote:
The new Fortuner will only be available with an automatic transmission, with the option of a manual phased out back in 2018.
If this is to be believed then lower sales for the manual may have killed it in Australia.

For India I expect the manual to continue but with the lower torque figures of 420nm unlike the soon to be launched automatic’s 500nm. In India the manual will continue because of the lower price tag of the 4X2 MT as compared to the 4X2 AT, if the manual is removed then the price difference between the base endeavour and base fortuner will become massive.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks