Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 01:04   #841
BHPian
 
Vikram Arya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Calgary/Shimla
Posts: 328
Thanked: 1,397 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube
As far as I know, the second generation Fortuner does not have a center differential, as it is a part-time 4WD, i.e. cannot be driven on tarmac in 4WD mode. This is unlike the first generation Fortuner which was a full-time 4WD and hence, had a lockable center differential.
An you're absolutely right. My comment was meant for LC Prado. I believe 2ng gen Australian variant of the Fortuner though has a locking differential on the rear axle. It's indeed a shame that Toyota has decided to omit this feature on the Indian 4WD version of the vehicle.

I don't find the lockable centre differential of much use (although better than not having it at all) as the front/rear differentials are still open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube
So, the A-TRAC is not active in 2H and 4H?
Yes sir, it is not active in 2H & 4H.

As soon as the vehicle speed exceeds 6 KMPH, the A-TRAC will disengage. Think of A-TRAC as the heavy duty/off road version of your standard traction control as that is how the algorithm has been designed by Toyota.

Think of it; if you're vehicle is moving at a speed higher than 6 KMPH, you're moving and do not need A-TRAC anyway.

For the standard fare you have you your good old traction control.

Hope it helped.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 18:46   #842
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,968
Thanked: 2,148 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I believe 2ng gen Australian variant of the Fortuner though has a locking differential on the rear axle. It's indeed a shame that Toyota has decided to omit this feature on the Indian 4WD version of the vehicle.
Could not agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
As soon as the vehicle speed exceeds 6 KMPH, the A-TRAC will disengage. Think of A-TRAC as the heavy duty/off road version of your standard traction control as that is how the algorithm has been designed by Toyota.
Thanks for your inputs
cool_dube is online now  
Old 29th December 2020, 11:48   #843
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Hello all!
Me and my dad are proud owners of a Fortuner (Ps: It will be all mine in 6 months when I get my license &#128513. To be honest the navigation by Toyota is quite literally useless. I was wondering, since Innova and Fortuner share the same infotainment system. Is there a way to retro fit the new one with android auto and apple car play into my Fortuner. It is a 2019 make.

Any and all inputs appreciated!
Ravi2k3 is offline  
Old 6th January 2021, 12:40   #844
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,968
Thanked: 2,148 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
Facelift: This was a more deliberated and considered decision. As I had already pointed out, and apart from the possible engine upgrade, I am not interested in other cosmetic upgrades that the facelift are expected to offer (based on Thai specs being quoted - not sure what all will come to India, including the engine upgrade). Further, the sun-roof is also not on cards - which is the one thing my son cares about :(. In-fact, after going through the facelift pages extensively (and over and over again), I feel that I will end up paying bit more for the vehicle whose previous iteration I just love and am comfortable with (including the current state of tune of the engine).
I guess you were spot on and did the right thing, going by the pricing of the facelift!

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th January 2021 at 13:00.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:09   #845
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 968
Thanked: 2,811 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi2k3 View Post
Hello all!
Me and my dad are proud owners of a Fortuner (Ps: It will be all mine in 6 months when I get my license &#128513. To be honest the navigation by Toyota is quite literally useless. I was wondering, since Innova and Fortuner share the same infotainment system. Is there a way to retro fit the new one with android auto and apple car play into my Fortuner. It is a 2019 make.

Any and all inputs appreciated!
Off topic: if you upgrade ICE to android and planning to sell the OEM System, please let me know through PM.

Am interested to upgrade my Fortuner {2013} OEM System to one that has Navigation
gkveda is online now  
Old 6th January 2021, 15:40   #846
BHPian
 
On the Move's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai, Jodhpur
Posts: 41
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I guess you were spot on and did the right thing, going by the pricing of the facelift!
Thank you.

I was watching the live unveiling with fingers crossed and remembering all well-wishers who recommended to wait for the facelift. I was just interested to see whether they launch the higher state of tune in manual option or not - if they had, I would have cried my heart out today. Thankfully they didn't and I can now breathe easy, coupled with the fact that I ended up saving alteast 3 Lakhs on my 4*4 MT (plus not having to wait for 4-5 months to own the road).
On the Move is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 10:19   #847
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Hello all, I own a T-Fort Petrol AT 4X2 (bought in Jun 2020 - and am thankful to myself that I didn't wait for the upgrade which is around 1.5L costlier than my version ). The truck went for its 10K servicing today and the service advisor suggested that (as per the service manual) wheel balancing, alignment and rotation has to happen every 10K kms. I owned an XUV earlier and would get the alignment done every 5k kms and balancing every 10K kms. Tyre rotation was done may be once or twice in my entire 97K kms that i drove. That helped me run my stock tyres for the entire 97k kms with almost 10K kms life still left.

I am seeking help regarding whether:
- I can follow the same routine of alignment every 5k kms and balancing every 10K kms?
- Is tyre rotation required every 10K kms?

The service advisor suggested that the Fortuner being heavier than the XUV would require the regime he has suggested, which I believe is more of a service gimmick.
Thanks in advance
Car-riedAway is offline  
Old 9th January 2021, 13:02   #848
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Off topic: if you upgrade ICE to android and planning to sell the OEM System, please let me know through PM.

Am interested to upgrade my Fortuner {2013} OEM System to one that has Navigation
Sure thing! Will let you know when if sell my ICE.
Ravi2k3 is offline  
Old 11th January 2021, 15:41   #849
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
An you're absolutely right. My comment was meant for LC Prado. I believe 2ng gen Australian variant of the Fortuner though has a locking differential on the rear axle. It's indeed a shame that Toyota has decided to omit this feature on the Indian 4WD version of the vehicle.

I don't find the lockable centre differential of much use (although better than not having it at all) as the front/rear differentials are still open.



Yes sir, it is not active in 2H & 4H.

As soon as the vehicle speed exceeds 6 KMPH, the A-TRAC will disengage. Think of A-TRAC as the heavy duty/off road version of your standard traction control as that is how the algorithm has been designed by Toyota.

Think of it; if you're vehicle is moving at a speed higher than 6 KMPH, you're moving and do not need A-TRAC anyway.

For the standard fare you have you your good old traction control.

Hope it helped.
Australian Fortuners comes with rear diff lock and A-TRAC both. It is just that when you engage rear diff lock A-TRAC get switched off automatically.
A-TRAC works in 4H and 4L both, engine traction control get disengaged automatically when you engage 4L but A-TRAC is still activated. A-TRAC does not disengage above 6kmph. I have done alot of off roading on my 2020 Fortuner and it has worked like a charm even at higher speeds. I only only disengages when you do it manually.

Just came back from a dune bashing trip on my Fortuner AT. I will let the pictures speak for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-69bcdb21fe444f20a77a47689411f2e5.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-510a099359f743a4abc1191eedd1001d.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-f692acd5ad3d4e2dac290c98027e484f.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-976374588fdb4a1b9ba04ffa046f18b8.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-e29b6bbd8d654847b2024ddac00b62ca.jpeg  


Last edited by moralfibre : 11th January 2021 at 15:59. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / Multi-QUOTE function within 30 minutes of posting.
Maverick07 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 00:02   #850
Senior - BHPian
 
CEF_Beasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 5,320 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

For folks who find the auto headlights sensor too sensitive, there is a way to change the sensitivity of the sensor in 5 different levels. This can be changed from the headlight stalk itself. Most probably works in the Innova Crysta and previous gen Fortuner as well which have auto headlights.


Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th January 2021 at 00:03.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 19:09   #851
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 22
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

So had plans of installing the Pioneer 5290 installed on my 2017 Toyota Fortuner. Asked around and it looks like apart from the head unit, you need a lot of connectors and stuff.

Pioneer HU - 20-23k. Prices have increased recently due to stock issues.
Adapter for OEM reverse camera
Adapter for steering buttons
Adapter for FM Radio
Full-frame to replace the stock dashboard frame.

Apart from the HU, these things will cost an additional 7-8k.

Now I am unsure if I should proceed with the upgrade or not. Just want Android Auto on my car :\
eRajesh is offline  
Old 24th January 2021, 21:22   #852
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRajesh View Post
So had plans of installing the Pioneer 5290 installed on my 2017 Toyota Fortuner. Asked around and it looks like apart from the head unit, you need a lot of connectors and stuff.

Pioneer HU - 20-23k. Prices have increased recently due to stock issues.
Adapter for OEM reverse camera
Adapter for steering buttons
Adapter for FM Radio
Full-frame to replace the stock dashboard frame.

Apart from the HU, these things will cost an additional 7-8k.

Now I am unsure if I should proceed with the upgrade or not. Just want Android Auto on my car :\
You can choose to go for Pioneer DMH ZS-8290BT which is 8 inch unit and fits really well in the 2016+ Fortuners.
Attaching a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-6d55c706cab44566aedd715363ac92b7.jpeg  

Maverick07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 22:50   #853
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 22
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

@maverick07 were any adapters required for the steering buttons and rear camera? Did you need a new frame?
eRajesh is offline  
Old 28th January 2021, 16:53   #854
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 22
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

I got the 3M acoustic treatment done from 3M Kolkata on my 2017 Fortuner this week. Costed Rs 7608. Definitely notice a difference. All the sharp noises have gone down. For 6-7k, would definitely worth recommend getting it done. Worth the money.
eRajesh is offline  
Old 29th January 2021, 17:34   #855
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,968
Thanked: 2,148 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
The fuel meter showed full tank and the same range - about 575 kms
Did this issue eventually get sorted out?
cool_dube is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks