Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 15:42   #931
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Hey Everyone,

Planning to book for the 4x2 Petrol AT.
Primarily my usage is going to be for Outstation and Family Usage. We were actively comparing the Innova Crysta and the Fortuner, I am more inclined towards Fortuner as I am usually going to drive the car, we are not much inclined to get the Innova.

Views Please.
aamishdhingra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:52   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post
Primarily my usage is going to be for Outstation and Family Usage.
Very few Fortuner petrol automatic owners out here, but having owned one for last 10 months and done 16,000 kms on that, here's my take.

1. Excellent all round vehicle, so long you do not compare with the diesel. This is the only car i own so used both in city and on highways. Has given me 10 kmpl till date and i have done Orissa, Gujarat, Jaisalmer and Spiti in this, so there's the credentials.

2. The only petrol, 7 seater SUV WITH a usable boot this side of 50 lakhs that you can lay your hands on that is available within 2 months (the Kodiaq is the other one, but that is not available for a year atleast). So not much of a choice really for folks in NCR.

3. The same respect on the road that you get with all Fortuners, with marginally better ride quality than the diesel.

4. However, if you want to have fun with it, fuel efficiency drops, so best suited for sedate driving style.
achyutaghosh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:20   #933
BHPian

My 2018 Fortuner has just come in from its 75k kms service. I have been advised by the service technician to get the discs skimmed as they can feel vibrations while testing which i am yet to feel. I informed him that till date you have never changed any brake pads inspite of me insisting on checking and replacing if required and even now you say that there is a good life of 7mm thickness in the brake pads and yet you are talking of skimming the discs. He had no reply to this and said that we can wait and watch till the next service.He did mention though that this is one of the first times he's seen a fortuner at my mileage to have had no brake pad replaced.

The vehicle has an advice for a new rear wiper blade. I realised that at every second service they find either the front or the rear wiper blades damaged and requiring replacement. Never seen it with any other car yet.

Also I got my tyres changed to Michelins LTX Trails at 70k kms and I have been facing alignment issues since then. The service advisor has said that this is also due to the tread of the new tyres!!!

Toyota for me is now sounding like any other dealership. One would think that the way they have upped their prices they would not need to resort to trying to fleece customers as much as they can in service.

I'd definitely appreciate your views on whether i should contemplate getting the brakes skimmed or write to Toyota to understand whether skimming is actually precise and should't the discs be replaced if at all the need is there and why is the need for the same in the first place.
rugsrags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 00:27   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Primarily my usage is going to be for Outstation and Family Usage. We were actively comparing the Innova Crysta and the Fortuner, I am more inclined towards Fortuner as I am usually going to drive the car, we are not much inclined to get the Innova.

Views Please.
If your usage is primarily outstation trips, go ahead with the petrol 4x2 without a doubt
Makes the most sense in the current NGT ruling for NCR. If you plan to use it as a daily driver then diesel is the way to go, in my case i chose the diesel as its a daily driver having clocked 2700kms in 25 days of ownership.
Old 5th August 2022, 22:26   #935
BHPian

Today I finally got a chance to try the 4x4 mode- in my son's school.....let me explain !

The school parking for parents in a slushy pit in the monsoons, a stretch right next to the school. These days some of the school buses are also parked there, making it worse. It takes a brave soul to venture there. So its usually some buses, Thars, and the odd Santro etc which are "beater cars" At least you get a place to park !!!

I had reached early and had some time to kill. So I parked right in that 6 inch slush-field, between 2 buses. And lo and behold, when it was time to drive out, I could feel the loss of traction. 4x4 Hi saved the day.. Not the way I thought I would inaugurate the 4x4 mode, but what the hell....
Contrapunto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 12:41   #936

Hello Team-Bhp, I am an avid reader of this forum and am very grateful for the immense information that the members of this esteemed forum share regularly. I finally had my Team-Bhp membership approved yesterday and it really is an amazing feeling to be part of this community. I am based out of Margao-Goa.

Today, I am requesting the advice and assistance of forum members in order to make the right decision. Let me give a small background first.

Ever since Toyota launched the Fortuner in India, I always admired it for its Butch presence and looks. I remember very clearly the day I saw it on the road while going to college and that day I decided that someday I would own one. While it has been 14 years since that day, I could not buy one due to various other commitments in my personal life. But that does not mean I did not purchase any car, I did purchase the Ford Ecosport when it was launched in 2013 as a wedding gift for my brother. My brother used it for 7 years, 2.5lakh KMS before exchanging it in 2020 for a Brand new KIA Seltos, Petrol CVT. We also have an MS Swift ZXI AMT which my brother uses. But the heart wants what it wants and I always yearned for the Toyota Fortuner and used to always tell my wife that someday I would own one. Toyota on the other hand had different plans where-in they would keep increasing the prices of Fortuner every quarter and this resulted in buying a new one totally out of reach of normal salaried class people like me. Hence I started looking out for ones in the used market and recently managed to find one on OLX.

The vehicle is the Fortuner 2017 Model, OCT 2017 registered 2WD MT Model, in Pearl white color. The current ODO stands at around 71000KMS. Based on my interaction with the seller, it is registered in his brother's name. Now during my inspection, I noticed that 4 of the tires are almost at the end of life and need replacement. Then, there is a dent on the bonnet which he claims is due to the pole or heavy object falling on it, and from the looks of it, what he is saying seems true due to the nature of the dent. He is ready to get that fixed(via insurance. will this affect the next premium?). I did a small 5KM test drive and can confirm that there are absolutely no rattles whatsoever and the gear shifts are smooth too. The seller also said that he services the vehicle at the Toyota ASC every 10000Kms and there is a service schedule upcoming. He is even ready to send the car for inspection at the Toyota ASC. Another point to note is that there is an active loan on the vehicle of around 15lakhs. The buyer is expecting 32lakhs for this.

Now my question is, is this asking price too much? What should be the ideal price for this vehicle looking at the age and usage? Also, is this price worth it keeping in mind the age and the usage of the vehicle? Requesting input from the members of this esteemed forum so that I make the right and informed decision.

Note to Mods: Please do let me know if this query needs to be created as a separate thread instead of posting here

Thanks

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd November 2022 at 11:45. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 12th August 2022, 14:47   #937
BHPian

Hi guys, My 2017 Fortuner is having a strange problem. Usually, when the car is locked with the interior reading lamps ON, lights would automatically turn off. But from a couple of months, the car alarm goes off after 30 mins instead of the lights turning off. This has understandably become a nuisance whenever I forget to turn them off. Does anybody have a solution to this? What must've gone wrong?
Old 12th August 2022, 16:34   #938
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-14 View Post
The vehicle is the Fortuner 2017 Model, OCT 2017 registered 2WD MT Model, in Pearl white color. The current ODO stands at around 71000KMS. .....The buyer is expecting 32lakhs for this.

Now my question is, is this asking price too much? What should be the ideal price for this vehicle looking at the age and usage?
Have a fair bit of idea about prices in Bombay. This is overpriced by around 20% at a minimum. As a reference, a 2016 model 4x4 MT is listed here by Toyota Trust guys. That additional 20k in running in the link above is moot, a year older is offset by the fact that it is 4x4 (which is what the trend is). Do keep in mind that Toyota Trust cars also keep prices on the higher side (some of which can be negotiated down) in return for some nominal warranty. This should serve as a good indicator of where prices are at.

Rest of the flags about condition, owner etc is something you will be anyways checking on.

Quote:
Also, is this price worth it keeping in mind the age and the usage of the vehicle?
Coming to your question on whether it is worth at the price/ age - I have done the calculations earlier and a used Fortuner of this gen (facelift/ prefacelift from 2016 onwards), inspite of its resale value does not make financial sense as a buyer. Am not saying it is worth the price or not, am just saying if we do number crunching, a used one is more expensive than a new Fortuner if a loan is taken in both cases. If a loan is not taken for an old Fortuner, even then the numbers will show a new one is financially more prudent than a used one if we use cash in hand as an investment and then take a partial car loan. It is non-intuitive but try the numbers with some assumptions and see if that makes sense with respect to your plans.

All the best

Last edited by One : 12th August 2022 at 16:37.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:46   #939

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post

Coming to your question on whether it is worth at the price/ age - I have done the calculations earlier and a used Fortuner of this gen (facelift/ prefacelift from 2016 onwards), inspite of its resale value does not make financial sense as a buyer. Am not saying it is worth the price or not, am just saying if we do number crunching, a used one is more expensive than a new Fortuner if a loan is taken in both cases. If a loan is not taken for an old Fortuner, even then the numbers will show a new one is financially more prudent than a used one if we use cash in hand as an investment and then take a partial car loan. It is non-intuitive but try the numbers with some assumptions and see if that makes sense with respect to your plans.

All the best
Thank you for your kind reply and advice. At this point in time, I do not want to invest 40+(current OTR price, Goa) lakhs on a new Fortuner hence will try to find a good used example only.

For now, I have made a counter offer of 27lakhs. Awaiting for the seller to revert. If not will keep on the lookout for other options.

Thanks

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd November 2022 at 11:45. Reason: spacing for improved readability
C-14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 19:31   #940
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-14 View Post
Thank you for your kind reply and advice. At this point in time, I do not want to invest 40+(current OTR price, Goa) lakhs on a new Fortuner hence will try to find a good used example only.
For now, I have made a counter offer of 27lakhs. Awaiting for the seller to revert. If not will keep on the lookout for other options.

Thanks
Other than a new one at 40 being more economical than a used one at 27 (irrespective of loan/ no loan payment), the only other thing I had considered for a 2016 car (was getting a clean 2016 car few months back) was the possibility of 10 year rule pan-India impacting the time I would potentially get with the car. I can't predict the future, but based on what we all see happening around us in this regard (NGT, CAFE norms, Toyota diesel plans etc.), I wasn't 100% sure if I would be able to drive a 2016 car 5 years from now.

Hope you find a used one to your liking
Old 14th August 2022, 19:43   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't 100% sure if I would be able to drive a 2016 car 5 years from now
That is possibly the biggest threat looming over older diesel cars now, not to mention the knee-jerk directives to the tune of banning all pre BS6 diesels, as being heard for NCR of late. Of course if the entire diesel engine regime collapses then new car owners lose more money. It is a double-edged sword
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 10:31   #942
BHPian

Has anyone removed the front driver side grab handle? I want to do so to reduce the blindspot at the A-pillar.
Old 7th November 2022, 20:55   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Other than a new one at 40 being more economical than a used one at 27 (irrespective of loan/ no loan payment), the only other thing I had considered for a 2016 car (was getting a clean 2016 car few months back) was the possibility of 10 year rule pan-India impacting the time I would potentially get with the car.
Can you please explain the first statment? Curiouto know why it would be good to buy a new one at 40+L

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:29   #944

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Can you please explain the first statment? Curiouto know why it would be good to buy a new one at 40+L

Thanks
The reasons why buying a new car is more economical than an old car are:-

1. The maintenance cost of a new car is less than an old car.
2. Interest rate for car loan is higher on an old car.
3. Technologies are more advanced in a new car for the price. The engine is more technologically advanced and refined so it gives better performance and fuel efficiency. Ultimately you get higher mileage.
4. Depreciation can be claimed by corporates.
5. Resale value of new car is higher than an old car.

These are some points I could think of.
braveironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 18:20   #945
cka
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Views Please.
I am also one of the few owners of Fortuner 4x2 Petrol Automatic. We brought home the black colored beast on Dhanteras and have driven close to 1500 kms in a month. Key pointers are-
1.City mileage is very low at 5/6 Kmpl
2. Highway mileage is appx 9 kmpl
3. NVH levels are quite good. Hardly any disturbance in cabin
4. Turning radius is quite high. It's really a trouble to turnaround in crowded streets

General Trivia- My parking is smaller than standard size but used to host our Swift comfortably. The new car is occupying nearly 1.5 times the space(Apologies for bad image quality).
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-20221028_210047.jpg  

cka is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks