Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 19:42   #181
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani7766 View Post
How does the ride quality of the New Fortuner compare to the Innova Crysta. And which would be the better variant, automatic or manual. In Hexa thread the automatic seems better was the conclusion. How is it in the case of Fortuner? Looking for a replacement for superb. So space would be an important factor. Also want piece of mind. So takes Germans out of the equation. Ride quality would also be an important factor, because wouldn't be using much for off road. If ride quality of Innova Crysta is better, would be saving a few lakhs.
Dear buddy, in case looking for replacement for superb, I would definitely not recommend Fortuner. I just got mine and went for a 300 km drive. Being very honest it's no where comfortable as compared to my other saloon cars. Intact , I did not have any other option as my father just wanted Fortuner. I did not even test drive Crysta , which even Toyota officials told them is more comfortable. It all depends what are your needs. In case looking for a comfortable cruiser, Crysta is the car for you.
I have doubts about long term reliability issues with Hexa. Although Hexa looks very promising.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 00:48   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Big congratulations on the beast! Wish you lots of happy miles ahead! Please share some pics of the beauty also the CR70 film in particular Really considering tints on all the rides so was considering either this or CR50 since quite a while would be great if you can share pics of it. Also, I really couldn't make out from the pics I saw on the net but is the shade of the CR70 lil on the greener side or its black?
Sorry sir will post the image soon but CR70 is little bit on the black side i will post the images soon.

I went on a birding trip to Valparai and the fuel economy was 8 KMPL, tank fill to tank fill 510 kms (225 kms ghat road out of which 80 kms pure off road at crawling speeds, start/stop numerous times and engine idling with four wheel drive engaged for atleast 15 kms and the remaining 285 kms in village roads with less traffic) 63 litres consumed.

I owned a creta automatic prior to fortuner which i used to abuse in the same roads which returned a mileage of 12 kmpl and took underbelly scraping even when driven with utmost care.

Fortuner compared to Creta proved it's worth every penny i have invested on the whole except the mileage, ride comfort and turning radius.

One of the images from my mobile, this was one of the decent stretches, but mostly it was worse where no other vehicle would have been able to come out unscathed.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-fortunerbhp.jpg  

pjegadeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 03:39   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Automatics anyways have much shorter brake pad life for various reasons.
True that!
Primarily due to lack of engine braking and in your particular model the front discs take all the brunt (disadvantage of being a 2 disc system)

Did you change your front brake pads at 20000 or 25000 kms?
(Heard the pads in manual are good for 50000kms)
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 07:51   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani7766 View Post
How does the ride quality of the New Fortuner compare to the Innova Crysta. And which would be the better variant, automatic or manual. In Hexa thread the automatic seems better was the conclusion. How is it in the case of Fortuner? Looking for a replacement for superb. So space would be an important factor. Also want piece of mind. So takes Germans out of the equation. Ride quality would also be an important factor, because wouldn't be using much for off road. If ride quality of Innova Crysta is better, would be saving a few lakhs.
I own a 2012 superb still and recently got a Fortuner. You cannot replace an SPORTIVE SEDAN with an pure OFF ROAD vehicle.

1) The ride quality of superb is on the stiffer side but still far better than the new fortuner
2) The power delivery of superb is far better even with the 140 BHP 2 litre diesel engine
3) In terms of Fuel economy Superb beats the Fortuner.
4) Legroom again skoda superb wins
5) Quality of materials and premium feel superb wins.
6) Seating comfort again skoda with passenger seat adjustment and driver 8 way seat adjustment is better.
7) Steering of superb is lighter and easy to manoeuvre at city speeds.

But still if you want to go for a fortuner/innova you should have only three reasons,
1) Toyota brand resale value & reliability.
2) Need a seven seater.
3) Planning to go Off road quite often.

If one and two points of the above post is your answer go for Innova Crysta 2.8 AT or else consider the new Camry hybrid its awesome vehicle take a test drive.

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 21st March 2017 at 07:53.
pjegadeesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 09:31   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
True that!
Primarily due to lack of engine braking and in your particular model the front discs take all the brunt (disadvantage of being a 2 disc system)
I try to use a lot of engine braking by shifting from D-to-4-to-3 and sometimes even coming down to 2 before pressing on the brakes. Also helps in maintaining the composure of the vehicle. AT is heavier than MT by almost 125kg and also produces more torque (450 Nm vs 420 Nm). These are for the new Fortuner. I believe this is true for previous generation as well. This higher momentum and torque accompanied with no engine braking by many drivers reduces the life of brake pads IMHO.

Quote:
Did you change your front brake pads at 20000 or 25000 kms?
(Heard the pads in manual are good for 50000kms)
Mine was changed at 30,000 kms when they were completely worn out. Many owners have reported the change as early as 10,000 kms.
Anyone tried Brembo or other upgraded brake pads?

Last edited by ragh_bhushan : 21st March 2017 at 09:37. Reason: Adding more info
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:43   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
...But when pushed to the limits mine still gave 10kmpl while his gave 7-7.5kmpl.
Agree. Automatic transmission loses out on fuel efficiency if pushed hard. Possibly even more so if taken off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
...So I would say that you should go for the Fortuner only if 4x4 is a requirement...
Am inclined towards 4X4 A/T as a large part of my driving is in the city and highways (hence A/T), with occasional treks up the Himalayas (hence 4X4). To be honest I haven't really needed 4X4 so far wherever I have chosen to go. However, that is an envelope I would want to push further in a 4X4.

What i'm not sure of is throwing around such a heavy vehicle in the mountains without 4X4 or performance of 4X4 A/T given 4X4 (ish) conditions (read steep mountain roads, causeways, no roads, or even dune bashing in the desert!!).
Old 21st March 2017, 15:46   #187
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I took the Fortuner for an earlier morning drive from Chennai to Salem.

Left home at 6.05 and reached my destination in Salem at 10.25 with no break in between, except for brimming up Diesel at Shell Chromepet.

The car performed very well

Average Mileage at the end of the journey - 14.8 kmpl.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-screenshot_20170321152452.jpg

This average mileage touched 16 kmpl in the initial 100 kms, but gradually climbed down as speeds increased. I maintained a cruising speed between 100-120 kmph and I used cruise control @110 kmph for quite a while.

The average speed as per MID was 80 kmph. I will start my journey back to Chennai in a couple of hours. I'm curious to see how much mileage the truck returns for this trip.

This is a big improvement over the old Endeavour I owned, where the best mileage I got was around 10+ kmph, that too after ensuring a maximum speed 100 kmph.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:06   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

.. I'm curious to see how much mileage the truck returns for this trip.
A general observation regardless of the vehicle is that any drive from Bangalore to neighbouring places yields a much better mileage than the return journey back to Bangalore.
This is because of the higher elevation of Bangalore, the outward journey slopes downward is easy on the vehicle and the mileage is better.

NB: Just noticed you started out from Chennai, so the above will not apply to you. Mods, please delete this post.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd March 2017 at 14:09.
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:08   #189
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
A general observation regardless of the vehicle is that any drive from Bangalore to neighbouring places yields a much better mileage than the return journey back to Bangalore.
This is because of the higher elevation of Bangalore, the outward journey slopes downward is easy on the vehicle and the mileage is better.

NB: Just noticed you started out from Chennai, so the above will not apply to you. Mods, please delete this post.
You are absolutely right.

I got 15 kmpl for my Bangalore-Chennai drive.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:37   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
OT: You are right. I have noticed this on my trips out of Bangalore too. Example - a drive to Tirupati was around 9.8 Outwards including the climb up the hills and 8.9 on return overall. High speed driving. Of course that was another vehicle and not a Fortuner.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 22nd March 2017 at 16:39.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 18:32   #191

Hi BHPians! Here are a few photos of my new beast. I am very excited to share it with all of you. Please share you thoughts

Details:
Model: Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4 AT Diesel
Color: Pearl White
Wheels: Lenso RT-Concave 20"
Tyres: Goodyear (P285/50 R20)
Body Kit: Fiar Design FD-2 (Imported from Thailand)
Tints: 3M Mafia Tints
Plates: Thai Famous Red Plates
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170326-6.10.55-pm.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170326-6.10.55-pm_1.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170326-6.13.53-pm.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170326-6.10.55-pm_2.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170326-6.15.01-pm.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170326-6.10.55-pm_3.jpeg  

varshi93 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 18:47   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varshi93 View Post
Hi BHPians! Here are a few photos of my new beast. I am very excited to share it with all of you. Please share you thoughts

Details:
Remove the tints pls. They're illegal. See http://tilakmarg.com/opinion/supreme...lms-clarified/ Be proud to be a complying citizen pls, a gentle request to you. There's no shame in it, only honor. Indeed, there's shame to be like the mafia!

Besides, tinted glasses severely degrade the driver's visibility at night when the driver looks in the rear view mirror to spot vehicles coming from behind (eg. when changing lanes, etc). Even more so if those vehicles coming from behind haven't switched on their headlights! (havent we seen this often, esp 2-wheelers!?!)
vharihar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 19:07   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Remove the tints pls. They're illegal. See http://tilakmarg.com/opinion/supreme...lms-clarified/ Be proud to be a complying citizen pls, a gentle request to you. There's no shame in it, only honor. Indeed, there's shame to be like the mafia!

Besides, tinted glasses severely degrade the driver's visibility at night when the driver looks in the rear view mirror to spot vehicles coming from behind (eg. when changing lanes, etc). Even more so if those vehicles coming from behind haven't switched on their headlights! (havent we seen this often, esp 2-wheelers!?!)
Thank you, I really appreciate your concern for my safety! I shall definitely remove it at once.
varshi93 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 19:26   #194
BHPian

Quote:

Details:
Otherwise (ie. other than the tints), the car looks very good. Wish you many, many years of safe and enjoyable driving!
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 20:28   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks awesome Varshi93
Congratulations and happy motoring

Few quaries /observations

1)Cost and source of the number plate frames? (I need one pair)
2)What is the cost of the FD 2 kit(what are the inclusions in that kit?)
3)Did you remove the original side steps or just got the borders painted?
4)With 20 inches and low profile tyres the comfort must have gone for a toss (correct me if I am wrong)
5)You need to be careful with those 20 "alloys as they are prone to cracking due to lack of cushioning. (Especially on highways)
6)You need to be careful and look for side wall damages and bulges due to low profile tyres pinching easily.
7)I've seen that you have changed the rear bumper reflectors to LED's.
Have you tapped the power from tail lamps?
Also when switched off does the new light have reflector function (this is very important as things can get dangerous sometimes without a reflector)

Have you got the auto dimming mirror from Thailand (sold as an accessory there)

Last edited by ecosport rules : 26th March 2017 at 20:34.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed