Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:35   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Simply because that bonnet wont need any opening at all, other than during regular service
Yes, true but checking of fluids and topping up of water reservoir is something which most of us do
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 14:56   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simply because that bonnet wont need any opening at all, other than during regular service
Good one,pun intended?

On a serious note ,I am used to clean up inside the bonnet atleast once a week,hence looking for one.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 19:59   #288
BHPian

Quote:
To me Toyota SA told that this is not a good to have feature. I asked why so as even my 6 year old Safari have this to which he replied it will add on to maintenance cost as struts may fail and are costly to replace.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 20:04   #289
Senior - BHPian

This one's bumber doesn't look like the Regular variant nor the TRD type.
Looks nice though.

Is this a third varient?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20170423wa0193.jpg  

ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 20:48   #290
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
This one's bumber doesn't look like the Regular variant nor the TRD type.
Looks nice though.

Is this a third varient?
This one looks nice, but IMO, makes the Fortuner look very naive. For me, the TRD bumper looks best, followed by the regular one.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-screenshot_20170423204456.jpg

OT: It was nice meeting you today morning buddy. I thoroughly admired the additions/changes you had carried out on your Fortuner. I'm equally impressed about your passion for the car and "leather".
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 14:51   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Just picked up this point: what about refilling the regular fluids like windshield wiper?
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 15:15   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yes, true but checking of fluids and topping up of water reservoir is something which most of us do
True !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Good one,pun intended?

On a serious note ,I am used to clean up inside the bonnet atleast once a week,hence looking for one.
I agree, you should go with that aftermarket accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
To me Toyota SA told that this is not a good to have feature. I asked why so as even my 6 year old Safari have this to which he replied it will add on to maintenance cost as struts may fail and are costly to replace.
Good point !

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Just picked up this point: what about refilling the regular fluids like windshield wiper?
Anshuman, dont get picky man, it was just a joke, TOYOTA joke

Have a look at this ad;

Last edited by karan561 : 24th April 2017 at 15:17.
karan561 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 04:58   #293
BHPian

Hello!

I had booked the 4x4 AT a couple of months ago without firming up on the desired colour or delivery date. Now,the itch to acquire one immediately is overwhelming and the dealership has none but an 'avant garde bronze' with 9kms on the ODO, sitting in their showroom for public viewing(mauling?).

The truck seemed alright to me post a cursory inspection.Is there anything I need to be wary of? How much and what kind of abuse could've been inflicted by the thronging masses and their sometimes pesky/meddling offspring, for the week or more it's been on display? The battery was disconnected for the entire duration of display,as claimed and is the norm too,I guess.

All advice and insight is eagerly solicited regarding the above and also the feasibility of having the entire truck wrapped in 3M PPF,expensive stuff but the fella is going to be exposed to the elements 24/7 for the lack of a sheltered parking slot.

Also,has anyone here physically verified the GC of the new Fortuner,I've seen claims ranging from 184/193mm to 220/225mm online, although the Toyota website has this particular spec omitted altogether. I remember scraping the underbody on a rock while TD'ing off-road up on Nandi Hills.
Old 2nd May 2017, 00:33   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Also,has anyone here physically verified the GC of the new Fortuner,I've seen claims ranging from 184/193mm to 220/225mm online, although the Toyota website has this particular spec omitted altogether. I remember scraping the underbody on a rock while TD'ing off-road up on Nandi Hills.
GC (Unladen) is 225 mm

Check this post;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4134017
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:02   #295
BHPian

Quote:
GC (Unladen) is 225 mm

Check this post;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4134017
Hi Karan,thanks, though I did ascertain that for myself by crawling underneath the big fella,armed with a measuring device of course

Also, I registered my ownership, of a brand new 'Avant Garde Bronze 4x4AT',in spite of all the apprehensions listed in my previous post. Have also decided to wrap it all with PPF, and the job is underway.

Karan,you seem steeped in Fortuners old and new,any recommendations vis-a-vis appropriate 'run in etiquette' for the 2.8GD?have tried the owners manual and the interwebs;^) too,miserably unable to glean anything yet.Could I be taking to the hills in the first couple of k's?

Thanks again
thorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:08   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karan,you seem steeped in Fortuners old and new,any recommendations vis-a-vis appropriate 'run in etiquette' for the 2.8GD?have tried the owners manual and the interwebs;^) too,miserably unable to glean anything yet.
Running in for 2500 kms is recommended, many people arguably skip this period thinking its not required in modern engines but i prefer the old school way of running in (i.e. not to exceed 2.5k rpm for the 1st 2500 kms), also avoid short distance runs where you know the engine will be shut off even before it has reached the ideal warm temperature as you have already reached the destination. Rest mostly the owners manual has covered the instructions.

Quote:
Could I be taking to the hills in the first couple of k's?
Off course yes
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:25   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Running in for 2500 kms is recommended...reached the destination. Rest mostly the owners manual has covered the instructions
The owners manual seems totally mute on the issue, please share page numbers if you could & thanks.
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:34   #298
BHPian

Quote:
The owners manual seems totally mute on the issue, please share page numbers if you could & thanks.
Here you go. I had posted it earlier as well:

Owners Manual: Ref. Pg 149. Hope this helps.

Breaking in your new Toyota

To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

● For the first 300 km (200 miles):

Avoid sudden stops.

● For the first 800 km (500 miles):

Do not tow a trailer. (→P. 163)

● For the first 1000 km (600 miles):

- Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
- Avoid sudden acceleration.
- Do not drive continuously in the low gears.
- Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.
- Do not drive slowly with the manual transmission in a high gear

However, more than this I agree with Karan's approach of 2500 kms under 2 - 2.5k rpm.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 2nd May 2017 at 11:35.
nareshtrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:14   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Here you go. I had posted it earlier as well:

Owners Manual: Ref. Pg 149. Hope this helps.

Breaking in your new Toyota

To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

● For the first 300 km (200 miles):

Avoid sudden stops.

● For the first 800 km (500 miles):

Do not tow a trailer. (→P. 163)

● For the first 1000 km (600 miles):

- Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
- Avoid sudden acceleration.
- Do not drive continuously in the low gears.
- Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.
- Do not drive slowly with the manual transmission in a high gear

However, more than this I agree with Karan's approach of 2500 kms under 2 - 2.5k rpm.
Thanks Naresh,I see it now,has idling instructions listed to boot .

Surprisingly or maybe not,when I queried this 'trainer' working at Nandi about idling rules and the run-in process,he dutifully informed me that there were none prescribed by Toyota and that hill climbs were to be avoided for the first 1000kms (seemed like his personal opinion).

On the 4H being engaged for wet roads/paved surfaces,his answer was a resounding yes,has even sent me an official mail confirming the same. This was contradicted by https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/

The turbo too,according to Mr.trainer,kicks in from the word go(!?).Is east really the new black?
thorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 22:07   #300
AAD
BHPian

A question for Guru's of Fortuner.

Cross posting from a post on the Endeavour below,

"Endy has a mechanical fan with a slip clutch connected to the engine. Find out if the clutch is functioning properly. While the engine is switched OFF (ideally keep the key in hand) and not harming hand with a hot engine, gently rotate the fan blade with hand. It should move with some amount of friction. If it is locked tight that means the clutch unit of the fan is stuck and would be turning at same speed as engine is. This can cause loud noise from the fan."

Does the Fortuner too have a Mechanical Fan for radiator cooling that also has a slip clutch?

The reason I ask is I have observed higher radiator fan noise in the afternoons when I am driving long distance & while aggressively overtaking at higher rpm's.

I have the earlier generation Fortuner 4x4 Automatic & feel that the increased noise is due to the slip clutch operating & not allowing the fan to slip thus making it spin at the engine rpm, whereas at other times, when the operating temperatures &/or the engine rpm is not high, the clutch allows some slip thus reducing the fan rpm and hence the noise.

Would like to know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed