Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2017, 12:18   #376
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
I hope you have found it already. I have got matchpoint gps installed recommended by HDFC Bank loan personnel. Its working fine. OBD port is located below the fuel lid opener on the right side of footwell( driver side).
Thank you. i was planning to install Trak N Tell.
What is the cost and recurring charges of matchpoint?
Old 24th July 2017, 12:21   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Thank you. i was planning to install Trak N Tell.
What is the cost and recurring charges of matchpoint?
HDFC Bank inbuilt all charges approx. Rs. 18000/- in the loan. It takes care of 5 years of usage. SMS alerts as well as a tracker app ( for ios and android). No recurring monthly/ annual charges.
shatrughna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 20:10   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

GaadiWaadi reports, via an exclusive, that Toyota India has commenced production of the TRD Sportivo body kit for the Fortuner.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-toyotafortunertrdsportivo6.jpg

Quote:
Ahead of its market entry next month, production has begun at the brand’s facility in Karnataka. Unlike the Fortuner TRD Sportivo sold in foreign markets, the India-spec model will only be sold in the 4×2 grade of the 2.8-litre diesel automatic version. The latest generation Fortuner was launched last year and it will have its equipment list packed with new additions like six-speed diesel AT with idle start and stop on the 4×2 and 4×4 diesel versions whereas the new fog lamps replace the normal units across all petrol and diesel variants.

It could don a black painted roof while the standard exterior will be heavily applied with sporty body kit. It is likely to get TRD branding on the front bumper and at the side profiles as well besides dual-beam LED headlamps and fog lamp enclosures sporting aggressive look. There could be silver skid plate elevating the muscular stance of the big premium SUV. The upcoming Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo may comprise newly design 20-inch sporty black alloy wheels, rear diffuser, bold body cladding as an underneath protection, TRD Sportivo badge at the tailgate and sporty exhaust pipes. The interior will likely feature contrast seat stitching, TRD embossed parts, several premium touches, etc. It could cost about Rs. 1.2 lakh over the standard 4×2 automatic diesel variant.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 12:17   #379
BHPian

Hey folks,
Me and my dad were fortunate enough to experience this beast yesterday for over 500 kms. So, I planned put down my list of likes and dislikes abut this beast.

PRELUDE :
The car was bought by my uncle so that his dad can use it. This particular Fortuner is replacing the aging Innova what his dad owns. BTW, my uncle also has a Porsche Cayenne and a Mercedes Benz S-Class. This is the top-end 4x2 Diesel (2.8) AT which I'm going to talk about. We got to experience this beast yesterday because we all were going to our farm which is 250 kms away from our city. Though for 90-95% of the time, the chauffeur drove this car, my dad drove it for other 5-10% which included undivided section of roads and a 6-lane expressway.

EXTERIORS :
The styling of the new Fortuner is much talked on all the forums and my take on the styling is no different from those. The front end looks like a Chinese Warrior and the front-end is a bit overdone IMO. Though this grows on you overtime, it didn't grow on for us atleast. I feel that the ol' Fortuner looked butch and timeless at the same time whereas the new one looks butch but looks a bit too flashy and futuristic to my liking. I'm a guy who likes a blend of understated looks plus a pinch of futuristic design ( Jeep Compass and Tata Hexa does this rightly for me atleast ). The front-end is loaded with lots of chrome which is not to my liking. The headlamps are so thin and are swept back and look a bit too flashy again.

The side profile looks handsome with the new alloy-design and the wheels fill the wheel arches well and I've got no complaints here as well.

The rear-end is what I like the most in this beast. I'm a sucker for those LED lights which look sick when in action and the rear end has a perfect blend of understated looks plus a pinch of futuristic design which cannot be said for the front-end.

Coming to the paint quality, the paint quality has orange-peel effect which is glaringly obvious. Not a good sign Toyota. Small things like this spoil the feel of owning an expensive Toyota. The panel-gaps are consistent and I've got no complaints in this regard.

INTERIORS :
The interiors was something about which I always had a complaint with the old Fortuner. The new one does rectify my complaint in this regard. The dashboard up-front is leather wrapped and the quality feels top-notch and good to touch. The plastics are also of good quality and my dad's in love with the interiors of the new beast. The touchscreen is of the correct size (unlike my Hexa) and is good to use for most of the time.

The old fortuner was a perfect blend of a family mover and a proper 4x4. Unfortunately, the new one has forgotten the first trait of its predecessor. The comfort levels in the cabin is nothing home to talk about. The first row of seats (i.e the driver and co-driver) offer adequate comfort, the second and third row comes as a surprise to use. Due to the higher floor and lower placement of the seat, under-thigh support was a miss even for average-height adults and my dad was ever complaining sitting in the middle of the second row, Here, at this particular point, the under-thigh support as well as the headroom was a concern. Add to that the ride quality of the truck made sure that my dad would suffer from a back pain at the end of the trip (which did happen). My grandpa (my uncles dad) was also complaining about the middle-row seat comfort and he usually occupies the co-driver's seat. The third row is just about adequate and I personally felt that my Hexa's third row was better.

The ride-quality though improved over the predecessor is way too far from plush. I was feeling this especially after experiencing the mind-blowing ride quality of my Hexa. I could feel every bump on the road and almost each and every thing was filtered into the cabin. Though, the expressway ride-quality is better than before and is good enough. The overall NVH levels were also great. No complaints in this regard.

So, the Pro's and Con's of this beast for me.

Pro's :
  • Tough built-quality. Toyota's Body-On-frame UV's are known to last the distance.
  • The 2.8 ltr Diesel powertrain is very refined and is perfectly mated to the AT gearbox.
  • Safety Features such as 7-Airbags, ABS, ESP, TC, Hill assist,...etc.
  • Toyota's reliability and after-sales service are top-notch and assures peace of mind.
  • Interiors are practical and user friendly and everything is easily accessible.

Con's :
  • Pricey. The new Fortuner is pricey for what it has on offer. It's not a VFM 'et all. The chief competitor i.e the Ford endeavour is priced a lot less for what it has on offer.
  • Missing equipment vis-a-vis the competition such as a sunroof, auto-dimming IRVM, lumbar adjustment, front parking sensors,...etc.
  • Ride-Quality is a miss.
  • Cost-cutting in a few areas such as the ICE quality, camera display,..etc.
  • No cheaper/smaller diesel variant available like the Endy 2.2 for the mass market.

Thanks for reading,
Varun

Last edited by Varun_HexaGuy : 27th August 2017 at 12:36.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 08:07   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Pricey. The new Fortuner is pricey for what it has on offer. It's not a VFM 'et all. The chief competitor i.e the Ford endeavour is priced a lot less for what it has on offer.
While I understand this has been the general opinion on the forum that the Endy is more VFM than the Fortuner. But then when you look at the current offerings after Ford pulled out the MT:
  • 2.8 4x2 AT Fortuner is costs 2.7% (about 73k more) more than 2.2 4x2 AT Titanium but gets you 16 BHP/65Nm more. And the 2.7% extra is VERY easily offset by the higher resale of the Toyota.
  • 2.8 4x4 AT Fortuner is actually about 0.9% cheaper than 3.2 4x4 AT Endy. I do believe that the 3.2 Endy might be a better product overall than the Fort, but it still does cost a tiny bit more. And again, the resale changes the long-term price dynamics.
  • If you're a MT guy, the Endy is simply not an option anymore unless you go pre-owned.

If only Ford hadn't made a joke out of the Endeavour's offerings and pricing.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 29th August 2017 at 08:09.
Tanmay K is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 00:45   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
[*] If you're a MT guy, the Endy is simply not an option anymore unless you go pre-owned.[/list]
If only Ford hadn't made a joke out of the Endeavour's offerings and pricing.
True. I for one, have been following the Endy closely. I am a total MT guy. Now even though I like the Endeavour, I cannot simply go for it since its only available in AT. What a pathetic move by Ford to discontinue MT..

The only option I am left with is Fortuner MT; however I don't like the ICE set up in the Toyota. And also, I like the old school looks of the Endy better than the Toyota.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 30th August 2017 at 00:48.
Old 30th August 2017, 13:57   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Now even though I like the Endeavour, I cannot simply go for it since its only available in AT. What a pathetic move by Ford to discontinue MT..
The 2.2 4WD MT was a good offering by Ford. Just don't understand why they would delete a model which was a cost effective option to the Fortuner 4WD Manual. Anyways, we know why Toyota is always laughing to the bank with the Fortuner and Innova while Ford/Chevy struggle with their products.
Old 30th August 2017, 14:42   #383
BHPian

Hey guys,

I currently own a Renault Duster and plan to upgrade to a "pre-owned" Fortuner sometime next year.

My requirements:

1. Vehicle should be less than 5 years old
2. Odometer reading of around 1 lakh KM is okay ( That's common in Fortuner! )
3. First owner with all service records & clean documents ( Most important )
4. Manual Transmission ( 4x2 / 4x4 ). I don't like Automatics.
5. Budget: ~ 18 Lakhs

I did some research online. Vehicle with above criteria is available in the range of 16 lakhs - 20 lakhs ( Bangalore )

Need advice from Experts or Fortuner owners on below topic.

1. Is it a good decision to buy "pre-owned" Fortuner if above criteria is met ( I plan to keep the vehicle for 5 years )

2. I did see some vehicles in Toyota U-Trust ( Online ). Their quote is on little higher side ( Say 20% more )
How reliable they are? Specially Certified cars from Toyota U-Trust?

3. Any other "trusted" dealer in Bangalore?

4. How about online Auto sites like Cartrade.com? They also have listing of Certified cars.

5. I would like to get the vehicle completely checked by my side before closing the deal.
I am not a Automotive "Technical" guy. Can we consult a "Car Evaluator" in Bangalore who can help with this? ( I don't mind paying their fees )
If any experts from Team-BHP who is willing to help with Evaluation, that is highly appreciated! ( Of course, we can have a big party later! )

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
RAHS
Old 2nd September 2017, 14:58   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,

Just got to know there are 2 changes happening in the Fortuner;

1) Will get Auto Engine Start/Stop function to save fuel
2) LED Fog Lights
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:54   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hello,

2) LED Fog Lights
Thanks Karan for the update.
I was a bit curious that these updates will be with the facelift model or with the TRD sportivo model which is expected early 2018. Thanks in advance.
db0009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:43   #386
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hello,

2) LED Fog Lights
I will not use the Auto Start-Stop, but i will try and get the LED Fogs. The Thai model also had electronic passenger front seat. Does the Indian model get that?
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:51   #387
BHPian

I regret buying a New fortuner because of one main aspect, The headlight throw and luminance is inadequate in opposite Traffic. I have driven more than 15 lakh kilometres in a span of 25 years and I have driven almost all brands of cars. I had great respect for Toyota as our corolla Altis has done 150k and still it is as good as new with the same reliability. Our 2 Innovas have crossed 350k and 250k kms and still i have the confidence to take it to Leh Ladakh. Inspite of Ford endeavour being a better bet in terms of the specs and power I opted for Toyota for their reliability. So I did go for a Fortuner 4*4 fortuner AT. I will list what I have faced,
1) The vehicle after delivery had an issue when the rear windows where rolled down and up the plastic panel in the door vibrated which was rectified at my place by the dealer
2) Brake Shudder was noticed at around 7000 kms and the dealership took a few days as someone from Toyota will address this issue. Then they offered to machine the rotors to correct this issue to which I objected but the dealership promised to replace the rotors in my next visit as per Toyota's directions and they did replace it for me in my next service free of cost.
3) But the main issue of inadequate headlights have not been addressed. I use stock bulbs for all the cars which I drive. When I first complained about my concern to the dealership they got back with a response from Toyota conveyed to me that the lighting is as per ARAI norms. Then I questioned whether they mean to say other brands and their own products are not as per ARAI Standards except for the new fortuner, as the lighting is good enough for me to drive other vehicles. Then I started asking about the lights of the new fortuner to whomsoever I come across and they all told they too have complained to their dealership for which the same ARAI standards was the reply they received. I seriously feel I am risking my life with this vehicle when I drive at nights. It's a worst nightmare when it rains or when I drive on a road with opposite traffic.

I don't know how to further take up my issue as it goes to a deaf ear

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 2nd September 2017 at 20:54.
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:10   #388
Team-BHP Support

^ Maybe this reply would help you understand the lightning bit, but am afraid, it will not be a solution. Link
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:53   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I regret buying a New fortuner because of one main aspect, The headlight throw and luminance is inadequate in opposite Traffic
Don't regret, instead visit nearby Ironman or ARB stores and get yourself an Off-road bumper and fit Intensity or similar lights from ARB

https://www.arb.com.au/toyota-fortun...al-protection/
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-1.jpeg  

Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:21   #390
Team-BHP Support

Aren't the alloys of the 4X2 version? Or is it different for International variants?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks