Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2018, 12:58   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
This is the reason why I said that the higher displacement of the engine might prove to be an advantage for the gearbox here.
Please read up about type of automatic gearboxes. The Hexa has the same old school Torque Converter gearbox mentioned in the same Fortuner review.

No offence, but when you read up about automatic gearboxes you will find that the Torque Converter is the oldest form of automatic gearbox that comes in the Hexa and the Fortuner/Innova. Even within Torque Converter gearboxes there are more modern ones like the ZF that comes in BMW, Volvo, JLR etc.

What they mean in the review is that it is not a Dual Clutch which is considered a better technology but comes with it's own complexities as you may have read about the number of failures in the VW/Skoda/Audi range.

Don't want to bust your bubble, but the 6-Speed AT in the Hexa and in the Fortuner/Innova are the same type but from different manufacturers. Toyota uses it's own. Hexa is a General Motors/Chevy unit.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 22:30   #452
BHPian

I just spotted a brand new Fortuner with these towel type seat covers.
I’m pretty sure they’ll mess with the deployment of the torso airbags in the seats, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-b6b67981c2e649c78f0e22495e63441b.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-f5019712399144418b4f8086b6b36e2f.jpeg  

AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 08:44   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I’m pretty sure they’ll mess with the deployment of the torso airbags in the seats, right?
Definitely. Very dumb thing to do is to cover your seats with side air bags with seat cover.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 21:14   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yep, its too expensive for what it is and what it provides. I rather put Philips H11 LED in the existing fog lamps, it may not be as bright as Koito LED units but Philips H11 LED has the best beam pattern comparable to H11 incandescent so a replacement Philips LED should work good as stock bulb when it comes to light pattern on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thanks, will explore this option
Did it and here is how it looks. This is Crysta but it is the same for Fortuner.
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-20180128_193819.jpg

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-20180128_193905.jpg
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 17:57   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Did it and here is how it looks. This is Crysta but it is the same for Fortuner.
Attachment 1721649

Attachment 1721650
Is it DIY? As I know you have to remove bumpers to access Fog lamps in Crysta. Can you also provide me the link where I can get the bulbs from?
Old 29th January 2018, 18:25   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Is it DIY? As I know you have to remove bumpers to access Fog lamps in Crysta. Can you also provide me the link where I can get the bulbs from?
Did it myself through the wheel well. Turned the wheel out and partially unclipped fender liner and installed it. To remove fender liner there are three screws under the bumper on each side, two screws on the side of the wheel arch which you can see in plain sight, and one plastic clip near the top screw on the wheel arch. Removing all this will let you open the wheel liner and put the bulbs in. On a ramp it will be easier if you have access to one.

Looks like its sold out now
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B072B94F6G/
Pic shown does not match actual product.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 07:36   #457
AAD
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I own the Old Fortuner 4x4 Auto (Oct 2015 model) and am looking to upgrade the Head Unit of my In-Dash Music System. I need advise if such a replacement is possible which will give me the following features,

1. Incorporate a larger touch screen
2. Support Apple CarPlay
3. Compatible with MapmyIndia SD card based navigation system
4. Compatible with existing steering controls
5. Essentially should be a plug n play replacement that utilises existing connectors and does not need splicing or cutting of any wires.

Any suggestions on the above indicating the Make n Model of such head units will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th February 2018, 21:28   #458
Senior - BHPian

Choose any navigation headunits available in the market if you want inbuilt navigation. Checkout Pioneer website you may find one that suits you. You can check out MMI compatibility there. You will find ones that support Carplay and Android Auto both. Steering controls can be made to work with an additional interface box. Cutting or splicing vehicle wiring is not needed, suitable adapters are available.
Old 4th February 2018, 21:42   #459
AAD
BHPian

Thank you Sankar. I have researched on the Pioneer website and they do have a head unit for the Fortuner which seems to be a straight fit. Hope to visit one of their dealers in MUMBAI soon for a touch and feel before I take the plunge.

Am also looking to increase the screen size to 8" (alpine has a product) so I guess it will take me some time to zero down on a particular model.

Cheers and thanks again for your reply
Old 8th February 2018, 12:22   #460
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends
My friend's Fortuner 4X2 AT(2013) has clocked 42750 Kms and is asking for Brake pad change(Make screeching sounds while braking)

Understand that OEM brake pads cost around 4900 INR. Please suggest:

1. Is it advisable to go with Rane or Bosch brake pads or any other brand OR stay with OEM brake pads only?
2. If you recommend to go with any of the other brand pads, which is the best brake pad for the above model Fortuner?

Last edited by gkveda : 8th February 2018 at 12:23.
Old 8th February 2018, 14:01   #461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
stay with OEM brake pads only?
why will you like to experiment with your truck for such important parts? That too when Toyota has priced so competitively. Better maintain your truck at Dealership. There are too many fakes in open market even for an experienced eye. Besides, if you were to sell your truck, it will always fetch you a higher resale if you have maintained at company dealership.
Old 8th February 2018, 14:17   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
why will you like to experiment with your truck for such important parts?
Thanks for replying, but Sorry, if I have not communicated my question properly.

If I put the question other way, Are there any brake pads that gives an improved braking performance for this truck? i.e., Instead of using OEM brake pads, Can we install any other brake pads to improve the braking performance of Fortuner?
Old 8th February 2018, 14:30   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are there any brake pads that gives an improved braking performance for this truck?
Not that I am aware of, probably you should check other threads and see if your truck is equipped with the revised setup.

Quote:
(Make screeching sounds while braking)
Don't delay change, else you will have to get rotors wrapped or replaced.

Check these -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ics-added.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-fortuner.html
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 18:56   #464
Senior - BHPian

Hey just test drove the Fortuner 4X2 AT and will post a brief experience report soon, before that I have this thing that is bothering me for which I want to know the answer.

When I was in D and I started pulling the paddles, it kept going D4, D5, D6 even when no shifts were happening, it just kept going till D6 when I pressed the upshift lever even at 2 kmph which obviously means the car was not in 6th gear, then how come it showed D6? It should not allow me to go 6th at 6 and 10 kmph right?

Same thing happened in S mode too, I kept going S6 at 10 and 12 kmph while obviously it was not in that gear.

What is this sorcery?
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 17:46   #465
Senior - BHPian

Okay, let me give my thoughts on when I drove the Fortuner Automatic 4X2, 2 days back.

It was at Madhubhan Toyota, Kurla, the roads around the showroom are 50% potholed and 50% typical city roads

We got a friendly welcome, all the features of the car were explained with variants, we narrowed down on the 4X2 AT variant which costs a mind numbing 37 lakhs, 14 thousand on road Mumbai.

Let me give a breakup of this, so that you guys can suggest where I can save

Ex showroom - 30,12,000
Registration Charges - 480070
Insurance - 113888
Depot Charges - 16500 ( What in the world is this? )
Extended Warranty 4th and 5th year - 27730 ( It has a 7 year extendable warranty now right? )
TCS - 30120
Fast tag - 600
Toyota Genuine Accesories - 33139 ( This has Fabric Floor Mat, Trump Mat, Chrome Door Housing, Headlamp Cover Chrome, Rear Headlamp Cover Chrome, Car Cover) I will do away with all of this, I don't like the chrome stuff on such a big SUV, and floor mats I can buy from outside, so that's a clear 33139 save, also the TCS can be claimed back while filing tax returns so that is another 30120 saved.

So effectively I am standing at 3650788, any ideas on how I can save some more?

Now for the review.

I drive a 2008 Swift Diesel currently and since 10 years, 1 lakh 51 thousand done, steering is a whee bit harder than the newer swift models.

As soon as I got in the Fortuner, I pumped the seat height to the maximum, I am 172 centimetres tall (5,7 nd half), pushed the seat back by quite a bit and instantly felt at home, did not feel uncomfortable at all driving such a huge SUV after I had just driven a Swift to the Toyota Showroom.

Took her out of the showroom gate and instantly the huge torque was perceptible, the car was in eco mode and I pressed the accelerator and she lunged forward until I had to brake for a u turn. The steering felt quite nimble and light (maybe because I drive a car which has a heavier steering already) and the U turn was decimated like I would have taken one in my Swift.

When I drove the Hexa what I particularly liked was the lightning fast gear shifts and I kept manually shifting the gears to experience this, somehow in the Fortuner the numbers kept increasing on the centre console whenever I pushed the paddles but the car did not shift any gears.

Like I was in 1st and I tapped it and tapped it a couple of times, it went till D6 while the car was at 5 kmph, I am sure that's not possible and then it would shift gears like how an auto would, why did it not take the driver inputs? In the Hexa, I put it in Manual and all my inputs were taken and whenever I tried to shift to a gear which was not acceptable to the gearbox ( like 2nd to 3rd at 5 kmph) it would show a message "Drive Control, Shift Denied), in the Fortuner, the numbers just kept increasing, is this how it is or was something wrong with this car?

Even in S mode, the counter kept going till S6 at 5 and 10 kmph, what's the point of the paddles and plus minus if the gearshifts are going to do their own thing or am I missing something here, Fortuner AT owners, can you please explain how this works? Driver's engagement is atmost important to me as I enjoy shifting gears on my own on the highway, even when we go for trips in my cousins Celerio AMT, I have immense fun shifting the gears in manual mode.

Then we shifted to a road which was dug up and had a lot of uneven surfaces. The car did feel like it was a bit bouncy there, my parents sitting in the rear seat commented that it was no Isuzu Dmax when it came to bounciness but it was not a carpet ride too.

The driving position was so commanding, it felt like on the highway I would be able to see road for quite a distance afar, which is amazing.

All aspects aside, I would really like to go for the Fortuner, will be test driving the Hexa again soon, but Toyota Fortuner is where my heart is set, if you guys could please clarify on the Auto Gearshifting bit, my mind would be at ease!

Thanks
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed