Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2018, 18:08   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Understand that OEM brake pads cost around 4900 INR. Please suggest:

1. Is it advisable to go with Rane or Bosch brake pads or any other brand OR stay with OEM brake pads only?
2. If you recommend to go with any of the other brand pads, which is the best brake pad for the above model Fortuner?
Your life depends on those brake pads so get them from Toyota. And at 5K a pop for a SUV is no-brainer.

My Altis' rear brake pads are Rs 9K with labour and front pads are 12-13K with labour. Hope that puts the choice in the correct perspective at least cost wise. Apparently Fortuner owners have it good.

I bought Bosch pads (OEM are also Bosch) at approx. Rs 1300/- but hesitate to fit them as I still trust Toyota's ASC and OEM parts more than I would trust a seller on Amazon. I know I'll wind up going with Toyota and keep the Bosch kit as a spare. Believe me, peace of mind is addictive.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th February 2018 at 18:09.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 19:59   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Okay, let me give my thoughts on when I drove the Fortuner Automatic 4X2, 2 days back.

It was at Madhubhan Toyota, Kurla, the roads around the showroom are 50% potholed and 50% typical city roads

Quoting from the official review.

The Fortuner's S-mode is very funny. Actually, it's not an S mode at all. Remember the D2 / D3 / D4 positions on older ATs which denote the max gear you are allowing it to shift up to? That's exactly what the Fortuner AT does in 'S' mode. As an example, move the lever to S and you'll see S4 on the instrument cluster chosen by default. This doesn't mean that the current gear is no.4. Rather, that's the topmost gear that the AT will drive in. It will remain between 1 - 4. You can similarly choose to restrict the AT to 3rd; drive at 4,500 rpm all day long and the box won't upshift. This is unlike proper 'S' modes which move up the shift points and give the gearbox a more aggressive nature. No such thing here, Sport mode doesn’t necessarily result in a lower gear for every situation. The problem is, the layman won't realise this. He'll select 'S' mode thinking it's quicker and see 120 kph at higher revvs in 4th (as S4 is chosen by default). Many people won't even know what they are supposed to do for easier cruising. Only an enthusiast will manually shift up to S5.

Last edited by theMAG : 12th February 2018 at 05:20. Reason: Trimming full quoted post in the best interests of readability.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 21:04   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So effectively I am standing at 3650788, any ideas on how I can save some more?
Quote:
Insurance - 113888
That looks too high, try outside with New India probably.

Quote:
Extended Warranty 4th and 5th year - 27730
You can buy later, I think prices remain same but double check, some manufacturers increase post initial few weeks/ months.

How much delivery time are they asking?
Old 12th February 2018, 12:37   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terrorist View Post
Quoting from the official review.

The Fortuner's S-mode is very funny. Actually, it's not an S mode at all. Remember the D2 / D3 / D4 positions on older ATs which denote the max gear you are allowing it to shift up to? That's exactly what the Fortuner AT does in 'S' mode. As an example, move the lever to S and you'll see S4 on the instrument cluster chosen by default. This doesn't mean that the current gear is no.4. Rather, that's the topmost gear that the AT will drive in. It will remain between 1 - 4. You can similarly choose to restrict the AT to 3rd; drive at 4,500 rpm all day long and the box won't upshift. This is unlike proper 'S' modes which move up the shift points and give the gearbox a more aggressive nature. No such thing here, Sport mode doesn’t necessarily result in a lower gear for every situation. The problem is, the layman won't realise this. He'll select 'S' mode thinking it's quicker and see 120 kph at higher revvs in 4th (as S4 is chosen by default). Many people won't even know what they are supposed to do for easier cruising. Only an enthusiast will manually shift up to S5.
Oh I read this atleast twice in the review, but I am still not able to figure out what the paddles do then? or the + and minus on the gear lever does? I mean does it only do the job of moving up and down the max selected gear that the gearbox can shuffle in even in D and S mode?

Quote:
Oh I read this atleast twice in the review, but I am still not able to figure out what the paddles do then? or the + and minus on the gear lever does? I mean does it only do the job of moving up and down the max selected gear that the gearbox can shuffle in even in D and S mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That looks too high, try outside with New India probably.
All right, how much of a difference you think this will make when I asked him that I could buy it from outside, he said no, is it like that in Toyota?

Quote:
You can buy later, I think prices remain same but double check, some manufacturers increase post initial few weeks/ months.
Warranty atleast I would like to go for the maximum at the start itself just so that the process is done and I am set for 5-7 years

Quote:
How much delivery time are they asking?
I did not ask as I told him I will probably book after 3 to 4 months, how long is the delivery time usually?

MODS: My mistake Sorry, I ended up creating two posts, can you please merge them?

Last edited by navin : 12th February 2018 at 12:56.
Old 12th February 2018, 19:48   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
So effectively I am standing at 3650788, any ideas on how I can save some more?
The latest edition of Autocar India mentions 1.5 lakhs discount on the fortuner.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 21:55   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollapalooza View Post
Let me know as well. My Endy is also on the way...
Hi. Have been using an Altis and am aware of the trouble free motoring that Toyota stands for. Looking to move to an SUV. I am in a dilemna of whether to go in for the Fortuner or Endeavour. Endeavour entices me for the frills while Fortuner for the no nonsense motoring that is synonymous with Toyota products.

Have a few questions.
How long have you been using the new Endeavour ? Is your drive primarily Urban or a mixture of Urban/Highways ? Do you drive or get driven ? Is the SUV comfortable ? Have you had any issues with you vehicle as yet ? Service aspects? Any other info that you share would be helpful to me and others such as I.

TIA
Old 17th February 2018, 12:53   #472
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised there is still no clarity on the issue I had raised above, Quoting from the review of the Automatic Fortuner by Overdrive

"One oddity I also observed was with the kick-down in the automatic transmission diesel Fortuner. Using the paddle shift, you move up to 6th gear, but when your speeds and revs drop, the gear indicator on the instrument panel between the clocks does not change. Instead it stays stuck indicating 6th gear though when you drop the accelerator pedal from 40kmph, and you can feel the shift and see the revs climb and drop at each gear shift"

I reiterate what I said before, If the paddles and plus minus on the gear lever are just to select the max allowable gear and not actually move up and down when you want, its a shame.

Yes if you are in 6th and crusing at 100 and you pressed the minus button on the flappy's, it will downshift but that is because you changed the max allowable gear to 5th.

What if I was 100 in 6th gear and wanted to move to 140 but without a downshift as I want to use the available torque, I won't be able to do that right? As a little more prodding of the pedal and the car will downshift to 5th, rev a bit and then change to 6th again and move to 140, whatever happened to taking over full manual control when a humble AMT Celerio lets you do that too?

In the Celerio shove it into manual mode, plonk it into 5th at 60 and even if you bury the accelerator to the floor, it will not downshift but prod along and increase the speed as its possible in 5th gear and from 60, that is what makes it super fun to drive as while driving I know how much acceleration and speed I want, I know if I want to amble around smoothly and gradually increase my speed, I know If I want a sudden change of pace and I am the one who should be deciding that and not the car and gearbox. Ofcourse if I slow down to 40 in the Celerio, it will downshift on its own and that's okay.

In the Hexa, the gearshifts are totally user dependant unless you ask for the unaskable like 40 and 5th gear, but during these times too it tells you that the shift is not possible and just does not change the number and keep you in the dark.

Sorry to say, I hope Toyota corrects this, the car should have a mode where in the user takes control of the gearshifts and change of pace, otherwise on a highway run, I will get totally irritated if unnecessary downshifts keep on happening, that is the grouse we had when we test drove the old toyota fortuner automatic, whenever I prodded the accelerator a bit, it downshifted and revved when all I wanted was a gradual increase in speed.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 13:45   #473
BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised there is still no clarity on the issue I had raised above
Thanks for reiterating the issue.
From your last post I was not able to make up what was the exact problem. I didn't checked this while test drive as I thought paddle shift will work like the manual mode in other automatics. It will upshift and downshift as an when we press paddles. This means these are not action buttons but are sort of limiters which will work based on accelerator inputs.

Ideally everytime when these are pressed some action has to be there interms of either upshift or downshift. If this is not the case then these are just marketing gimmicks played from Toyota.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:24   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

In the last three days, I test drove the Ford Endy 3.2 4x4 Auto, MUX 4WD Auto & Fortuner 4WD Automatic. These are my observations:

Soft Ride over bad surfaces: 1) MUX 2) Endy 3) Fortuner
Highway handling including very sharp Lane Changes: 1) Fortuner, 2) Endy, 3) MUX

The above is understandable since the more soft you make the suspension the worse highway/high speed handling becomes. Endy has managed to strike a reasonable balance here.

In terms of kit/Hardware 1) Endy 2) Fortuner 3) MUX.
Endy 3.2 blows the other two out of the water with the following advantages
a) Full Time 4WD with Center Differential.
b) Lockable Rear differential
c) Drive modes that modulate the power-train
d) Sun Roof
e) Modern System with Sync 3 . Android Auto etc
f) Active Noise Cancellation
g) Front Parking Sensors

Third Row: 1) Fortuner, 2) MUX, 3) Endeavour
The Fortuner has the best third row in terms of access to Third row. The MUX is next. The Endy Third row is decent in terms of space, but the back rest is almost straight and the most annoying part is that the head rest is carved out of the back rest, so when you lift the headrest, there is a gaping hole just above your shoulder blade and is very uncomfortable. They should have definitely thought of a better way to integrate the headrest or just made the headrest removable. This hole in the seat was my major gripe with the Third row.

Mileage 1)Fortuner & MUX (tie) MID showed 8 kmpl in city. 2) Endeavor MID showed 6.6 kmpl in the city. These were obviously test drive vehicles and probably driven hard most of the time within city limits.

I must admit that I am a huge Toyota fan and always felt that Fortuner was a no-brainier, but I must say that these back to back test drives gave me a new perspective on the Endy. It is too much of a value to pass up on. From an off-roaders perspective, I would prefer to have a Full-Time 4WD any day over the part time system. I don't understand why Toyota Deleted the center differential in a new model. I suspect to keep the Prado a range above the Fortuner.

My only worry is that if I plan to keep for 10 years and will these Ford electronics last or should I just go with simple Tried and Tested Fortuner? Honestly the only irritant with the Endeavor for me was the 3rd Row access and 3rd row seat design. That and I hate beige interiors. Also the abysmal mileage given the huge engine. Other than these three things, I think Endy 3.2 Auto is the way to go. And this is from a die hard Toyota Fan
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:07   #475
Senior - BHPian

The reliability of a Ford Endy on a 10 year ownership period is highly doubtful. Electronics and vital drive train systems.

Seen so many of these endys here and Ford Explorers and its Mercury Mountaineer stable mate earlier.

Must have pulled out over 100 stuck Ford Explorers in person maybe.

A full time 4WD with Central Diff lock is good but not essential. For Indian conditions hard mud off roading and firm soil even a part time 4WD is equally good.
Honestly a 40 lakh car is hardly taken off road in India.

A close friend of mine took his company provided Ford Endy off road one day. It was a light off road trail and some excellent burgers that he makes day.

My philosphy is rather simple. I will not put 35 to 40 lakhs of my own money in a Ford or any american SUV.

On moderate climbs we faced two bog downs front number plate lost and recovered and a cracked front fender. Plus a huge dent on the front bumper. Not at all a decent angle of approach.

Last edited by desertfox : 23rd February 2018 at 23:13.
desertfox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 08:49   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
In the last three days, I test drove the Ford Endy 3.2 4x4 Auto, MUX 4WD Auto & Fortuner 4WD Automatic. These are my observations:
Just for comparison sake, would wish to know as to where would the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport stand. If you have access to one, please do take a TD and let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The reliability of a Ford Endy on a 10 year ownership period is highly doubtful. Electronics and vital drive train systems.

On moderate climbs we faced two bog downs front number plate lost and recovered and a cracked front fender. Plus a huge dent on the front bumper. Not at all a decent angle of approach.
Mod Anshuman has his You Tube channel where it can be seen that the 3.2 does struggle in sand dunes. But on roads and soft roading, the Endeavor has very good road manners.

Approach angle of both should be almost the same.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 23:25   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Just for comparison sake, would wish to know as to where would the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport stand. If you have access to one, please do take a TD and let us know.
I was limiting my options to Full-Size SUVs with Automatic Transmission and 4x4 with Low range. I didn't bother to test drive the Pajero since it doesn't have the AT & 4X4 that I was looking for.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 15:39   #478
BHPian

I have always wondered as to why Toyota doesn’t offer captain seats on the Fortuner ?
Sure, people have retrofitted them and most dealerships offer to do it for about 80k-85k. But considering how popular captain seats are on the Innova, Toyota should definitely consider offering it as an option.
Also, the light brown, almost orange colour seats on the international version looks fantastic. Hope that's offered in the Indian market soon.
utkarsh10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 11:30   #479
BHPian

Toyota 2.8 DPF failures & the moral case for particle filters. Does Toyota have a problem with the DPF installation on its new 2.8-litre 1GD-FTV engine ?
Old 26th March 2018, 17:18   #480
BHPian

Toyota 2.8 DPF blockage part 2

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks