Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 14:50   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Any inputs on changing the yellow fog lamp bulbs to the white ones.
OEM ones are highly inadequate. Not going HID route for the fogs.
Thanks in advance.
Hi , I have recently upgraded my car's fog lamps to dual LEDs. I procured them from US.
It has two options 6000k and 3000k.

Last edited by getsurya : 6th November 2018 at 14:52.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 18:21   #527
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi , I have recently upgraded my car's fog lamps to dual LEDs. I procured them from US.
It has two options 6000k and 3000k.
Thanks buddy, would you be so kind to shed some more light. Any leads, costs of import or did somebody hand carry it.
Old 9th November 2018, 19:13   #528
Senior - BHPian

https://www.toyota.co.th/fortunertrd...sQAvD_BwE#home

looks like the Fortuner is going to get a new and much better looking official TRD kit (at least the ones in Thailand)
Old 24th November 2018, 13:32   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Thanks buddy, would you be so kind to shed some more light. Any leads, costs of import or did somebody hand carry it.
I had one of my known friends carry the bulbs for me from US. Costed me $55. Purchased at Amazon.com.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:59   #530
BHPian

Toyota to increase prices across its range by 4 percent from January 2019.
Stratosphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 02:30   #531
BHPian

This is how the updated Fortuner looks with the new fog lamps in the rear, they are in place of the earlier reflectors.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-20181129_022403_resized.jpg

And how the earlier when used to look

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-screenshot_20181129023117_chrome.jpg

Last edited by CarLoverJosh : 29th November 2018 at 02:32.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 07:49   #532
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
This is how the updated Fortuner looks with the new fog lamps in the rear, they are in place of the earlier reflectors.
The new ones are part reflectors and part fog lamps. These were already available in the TRD Version launched in Thailand last year.

I bought these from Toyota Thailand, but have not been able to install in my 2017 Fortuner as there is no wiring provision
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 09:39   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The new ones are part reflectors and part fog lamps. These were already available in the TRD Version launched in Thailand last year.

I bought these from Toyota Thailand, but have not been able to install in my 2017 Fortuner as there is no wiring provision

Hi,
How did you manage to buy from Toyota Thailand ?
I need to buy a dash cam from them. My friend went to their dealership in Thailand but they said they have to preorder the same.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:35   #534
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hi,
How did you manage to buy from Toyota Thailand ?
I need to buy a dash cam from them. My friend went to their dealership in Thailand but they said they have to preorder the same.
You are right. The dealers do not carry any stocks, but can have it arranged in 4 days max.

I had visited a Toyota Dealer during one of my trips and bought a TRD Number plate as that was the only one they had in stock.

Before the sale, the dealer requested for the chassis number of my car and punched it into their system. Confirmed that i own a Fortuner and implemented the sale.

A common friend (Thanks to fellow BHPian Dr Kumar), was visiting Bangkok at a later date. Placed an order 10 days in advance (Fog lamps, puddle lamps, TRD Logo, Trumpet horn, etc etc) and he bought these from the dealer; hand carried it back to India.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 22:16   #535
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Toyota Fortuner tyre comes off while off roading

Quote:
A highly modified new-generation Toyota Fortuner getting royally stuck in the sand dunes not once, but twice!

The Toyota Fortuner came in at high speed and took a larger turn, which took it to an incline on the dune. The vehicle got stuck in the dune due to lower traction and lifting the accelerator, which in turn reduced the momentum of the vehicle. The heavy Toyota Fortuner went sideways and got stuck badly in the loose sand.

The recovery process is quite long and tricky. A modified previous generation Ford Endeavour starts the rescue with the help of a winch. The Fortuner is so badly stuck in the sand that the Endeavour starts sliding and moving forward on the sand. The recovery vehicle has been put on the sand ladders to increase the traction but it keeps on getting pulled towards the stuck vehicle.
Full Article and Video: https://www.cartoq.com/toyota-fortun...why-video/amp/
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 07:24   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

Nice coming from a person who has a Endy as his profile picture. This particular fortuner went through an after-market modification? So what does this video mean? There are many different vehicles that go off-road. Some break down, some don't. Besides dont' forget Toyota has owned the dunes for years. Ford is nowhere close.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 08:06   #537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This Video must have been lifted from here which is the channel of Mod- Anshuman-

By the commentary in the article, I can only laugh at such guys writing all the stuff sitting at a desktop and fantasising, only to sensationalise and perhaps create a readership for them. Most of the guys in this group have been doing all this for a while and must have spent about a week in Jaisalmer. I was standing next to with the other guys here, the tyre came out due to hitting some hard surface. In fact, at this very place, only a while ago, the white old Fortuner had similar fate- don't know if it's in video or not.

I agree not everyone will be an expert but the way Group takes care of all accompanying participants needs to be experienced

One of the comments that I liked from youtbube & is a fact

"Nadeem Nazeer

most channels show the glamorous and glitzy part of offroading, only your channel streams the truth about offroading and how much time is spent in recovering stuck vehicles and assisting each other. appreciate it sir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This particular fortuner went through an after-market modification? So what does this video mean? There are many different vehicles that go off-road. Some break down, some don't. Besides dont' forget Toyota has owned the dunes for years. Ford is nowhere close.
Exactly, just dramatised everything with poor knowledge. Mod Anshuman's Isuzu broke down on the very first day, the Axle simply broke. All Toyota's performed well, New Endeavour joined later, there must be some videos. I had to leave early so cannot comment.

Edit - here's one for Endeavour

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th December 2018 at 08:24.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 10:08   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The video is from my Youtube channel, and I am the spotter here too. So let me post my comments.

These Cartoq guys have a habit of embedding my videos on their site with their stupid analysis. I can assure you that 100% of the times they dont have a clue whats going on, its a clickbait masala article they are aiming to post, which they usually succeed in. But I can't believe someone on team-bhp taking such click bait articles seriously.

Coming to the situation, It cant be blamed on the car, if there was any other similar sized SUV with similar size tyres the situation would have been same.

Reason- these are virgin dunes, cars sink in no time, so the cars are running 11-12 psi, at these pressures as soon as you hit a hard patch with wheels turned the tyre comes off, its not a problem as long as driver and car are safe. We can rebead the tyre in 10 mins. The white Fortuner before the grey Fortuner also had a debead seconds earlier, nobody noticed because car did not get stuck, I just radioed for him to stop.

On the driver's response- He did the right thing by steering to left, when car was falling to left, a typical unexperienced driver's response would have been to counter steer and car would topple. It would have been much smoother if he would have floored the A pedal, he would have the car's nose hit the ground first and car would never have got stuck, like the white Fortuner earlier, but we all learn from experience.

Even the Endeavour has same tyre size, it would also end up in same situation or worse (if the car gearbox would have decided to upshift mid obstacle, which it does all the time). Car with higher profile tyres with smaller rims have better chance.

On tyres- these are Yokohama AT G015, absolute best choice for dunes, no wonder everyone in group is using these.
.anshuman is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 10:38   #539
Team-BHP Support

Me and .a were discussing this over WhatsApp one day. There was something equally stupid/similar reporting by some media.

Click bait for views is there bread and butter.

I am sure any of us can post a video which shows the Fortuner in a better light than Endeavor, at least as far as OTR's go, but that is just not done.

Read the analysis.

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181021-10.33.07-am.jpeg

Last edited by Sheel : 13th December 2018 at 11:06.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 11:01   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Haha. I am at loss what exactly were you thinking while posting. A quick look at Cartoq's articles and you would know that they are known for their clickbait titles for readership and are living off other people's work. This post is no different and means nothing in terms of value in real life, none... zilch!

Turbanator and .anshuman have said enough, I am adding just a couple of things from my end since I was there (the one on handheld radio in the video during recovery is yours truly only).
  • Both old and new Fortuners were like heroes on these dunes, and these are not like your regular safari dunes of Sam, Jaisalmer where sand is packed by repeated safari traffic and you can literally cruise over sand; the sections you see in the video are some of the most remotest and untouched dunes you can find in India. The surface is so soft at places, I can bet best of the best will see their cars sinking in no time.

• The owner of the Fortuner in question is not a newbie at offroad, however it was his first time experience on sand dunes. And despite that, if I am saying his vehicle was a hero, you can imagine how good the vehicle must be! Fortuner had its fair share of incidents of getting stuck, but so did other vehicles and this barely raises a question on the vehicle IMHO.

• In this particular incident, the driver behavior was absolutely correct by steering into the ditch once he realized he didn't have enough momentum to clear up and was sinking in the sand. He was at an angle and like .anshuman said split second of wrong response would have resulted in a toppled car. His only bad luck was the the patch where soft sand was ending was hard surface and as he hit the hard patch at an angle, Fortuner's 18" wheels with very little rubber side wall and low tire pressures of 12PSI resulted in a debeaded tire immediately. And BTW, the kind of dune bashing we were doing that day, we saw tire debeading off old Fortuner, new Fortuner, Pajero Sport and others too. Like .anshuman said, we were prepared for that and rebeading the tires was an easy job.

• I didn't drive the new Endeavour this time, simply because I am too anxious by nature to use trial-and-error method to figure out electronics of the Endeavour. Endeavour has a habit of randomly shifting a gear up even when you have locked it in a particular gear for a particular terrain. I simply lose my patience with such a vehicle. Not that it is a bad vehicle, I have advocated Endeavour to countless people for its merits despite that I own a Toyota. Every vehicle has its quirks and this applies to both Fortuner and Endeavour. A quick look at the video that Turbanator shared, you can see how unpredictable Endeavour's gear shifts can be and what sort of consequences it can have. In that case as well, driver's quick reactions saved the topple otherwise it would have been a completely different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
By the commentary in the article, I can only laugh at such guys writing all the stuff sitting at a desktop and fantasizing, only to sensationalize and perhaps create a readership for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
These Cartoq guys have a habit of embedding my videos on their site with their stupid analysis. I can assure you that 100% of the times they dont have a clue whats going on, its a clickbait masala article they are aiming to post, which they usually succeed in. But I can't believe someone on team-bhp taking such click bait articles seriously.

To bring back the discussion on track, let me drop a sweet snap from this trip related to thread topic. Photo taken by .anshuman
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20181210wa0004.jpg
Ace F355 is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed