Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 18:50   #571
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
Thanks for those inputs - Decision Made :-) 4X4. MT - Pearl white !!!. Now the wait begins !
Congrats! Any specific reasons of choosing Manual? I will suggest you to double check Auto. It works well, not many people choose manual these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I disagree. I have an Innova Crysta 2.8 and dont' have any issue with braking. It is the same 2.8 engine but deturened to 350 kgm torque for better mileage.
Even I have not faced any problems with brakes on Crysta. Though we have Petrol and done only around 10 K but never felt anything wrong.
Old 6th February 2019, 20:51   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Excellent decision

I have a Super white 4x4 MT. I have done around 60,000km with it and I am happy with my decision. The iMT feature and the 6-speed manual transmission is a joy to use on spirited drives.
Hi Dean
i heard a couple of concerns with the visibility of the headlights during rain , I see the official reviews speak good about the visibility -how does it do during the rains / fog - having driven 60 K , i thought you are best placed to tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats! Any specific reasons of choosing Manual? I will suggest you to double check Auto. It works well, not many people choose manual these days.

Even I have not faced any problems with brakes on Crysta. Though we have Petrol and done only around 10 K but never felt anything wrong.

I kind of like Manual more as I feel it gives more control on the response of the vehicle

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2019 at 07:23. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 7th February 2019, 00:20   #573
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for those inputs - Decision Made :-) 4X4. MT - Pearl white !!!. Now the wait begins !
Fantastic Decision

Mine is a 4x4 AT Pearl White.. Even today, the Fortuner manages to turn heads just like it did when it was launched exactly 2 years and 2 months ago.

Try test driving the Auto as it is very comfortable, especially in the city and while driving on Ghat roads.
Old 8th February 2019, 08:43   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dean

i heard a couple of concerns with the visibility of the headlights during rain , I see the official reviews speak good about the visibility -how does it do during the rains / fog - having driven 60 K , i thought you are best placed to tell me

I am quite happy with the stock headlights even in the rains, more so after I applied a water repellant coating on my windshield this year.

There is a slight dip in visibility during the rains on divider less roads with oncoming traffic though. If you are not happy with the visibility you can always add auxiliary lamps or led bars.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 11:47   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, come tier2-3 cities and towns, lot of folks are still buying manual. I know of couple of people who dropped Endeavour because a manual tranny isn't available.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 11:53   #576
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
On the contrary, come tier2-3 cities and towns, lot of folks are still buying manual. I know of couple of people who dropped Endeavour because a manual tranny isn't available.
True, in fact, people who employ drivers, even in tier-1 cities prefer the manual.

I once asked a driver (a white Fortuner, ), if I should buy a manual or an automatic and he was quick to recommend the manual and said that its FE is at least 2-3kmpl more than the auto and the auto is higher maintenance too...!!!
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 12:16   #577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Might be, Last Year, I picked 2017 manufactured Manual Fortuner at a substantial Discount which is normally not the case with Fortuner. When I tried to sell it, had lot of difficulties as everyone wanted an Automatic. This is however based on my experience in Gurgaon/ Chandigarh. Ultimately car was sold to a person in Chandigarh. But no matter what we feel or say about manuals, I see these making way for Auto at least in this and a segment below.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 12:37   #578
BANNED

Quote:
Ultimately car was sold to a person in Chandigarh. But no matter what we feel or say about manuals, I see these making way for Auto at least in this and a segment below.
This is interesting, I assumed you still had it since you sounded pretty impressed with it.

Why did you sell it so quickly? What is your drive now?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 12:45   #579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is interesting, I assumed you still had it since you sounded pretty impressed with it.
I think have updated somewhere. Well, I always say, Fortuner & Endeavour are both very good products and you cannot go wrong with any of these. I no longer own but will gladly recommend either to anyone.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th February 2019 at 12:46.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 16:06   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Friends - So i have made up my mind on getting home the Toyota Fortuner after years of dreaming about it and saving up.

I need your advice on the big question now 4X4 or 4X2. I'm not a off roader and do not intend to go into core off roading with the car. The maximum i might encounter are ghat roads and some steep climbs / really bad roads. Is it worth spending the 3L for the 4X4 if this is the case?

Also another dampener is i read that the ride quality of the 4x4 is harder and more bumpy than the 4X2 on account of the lesser tyre height on the 18 inch alloy. which is what is pushing me more towards the 4X2 . I'm going to book today and I'm still in 2 minds and kinda embrassed im not able to make up my mind so please help with your thoughts
Toyota brand means PEACE OF MIND was my initial perception and owning it from Qualis days I felt so. Still we are using the Corolla and old generation Iinnova which are as good as new with great reliability. We even have an Iinnova crysta which has given us good service. [b]Based on our experiences with the Innova, Crysta and Corolla, we got the NEW FORTUNER.

WE REGRET OUR DECISION.

I have driven TOYOTA vehicles from 1999 in USA and driven Qualis, Innova, Corolla, Crysta and NEW FORTUNER.

When I initially hunted for vehicles I narrowed in on FORD ENDEAVOUR, TOYOTA FORTUNER AND BMW X1. I opted the Fortuner purely for peace of mind in terms of service and reliability, though the remaining 2 were better in most of the aspects. I have driven 70000 kms and have taken for longer drives (1850 kms in a day). The engine though noisy is reliable, the suspension is not at all at par with the endeavour.

TOYOTA AS A BRAND IS BEST WHEN IT IS TROUBLE FREE but when you have issues the way the company handles customers is poor.
There was brake shuddering problem at 9000 kms itself and they skimmed the brakes for which I objected concerned with the safety. They admitted there was some design fault with the brake pads which vibrates when the pads gets heated and later replaced front brake pads under warranty.

The lighting is a night mare you are facing incoming traffic and when it rains it gets worse. I advice you not to spend your hard earned money and think twice before investing in one of the worst products Toyota has ever produced.

Please feel to call me at 98421xxxxx if u want to know what I am going through

Last edited by navin : 8th February 2019 at 17:08. Reason: typos, grammar, sentencce constructio, formatting
pjegadeesh is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th February 2019, 17:11   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
TOYOTA AS A BRAND IS BEST WHEN IT IS TROUBLE FREE but when u have issue the way the company handles customers is worse.
There was brake shuddering problem at 9000 kms itself and they skimmed the brakes for which i objected concerned with the safety. They admitted there was some design fault with the brake pads which vibrates when the pads gets heated and later replaced front brake pads under warranty.
Hi, i was under the assumption that Fortuner did not have the brake shudder issue owing to its larger brakes. But I was mistaken and you are the 3rd person I am learning about the brake shudder issue in the Fortuner. Yours is Fortuner AT? Mine is a Crysta AT and i have this problem but i live with it waiting for a brake upgrade. I have noted your number thanks!
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 18:03   #582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
The engine though noisy is reliable, the suspension is not at all at par with the endeavour.
Yes the engine is not as quiet as Endeavour but better then previous generation and sounds less as speed built up. I don't know how are you comparing suspension, I find the middle row of Endeavour very bad, it hits your back like anything and to me it was the single most annoying thing. Fortuner also passes bumps but is more softer. As far as body roll is concerned both are bad, maybe Endeavour fairs little better. Both of these are based on the truck platforms so this is expected. You can try ARB suspension, it does improve ride comfort and reduced body roll significantly.

Quote:
The lighting is a night mare you are facing incoming traffic and when it rains it gets worse.
Another person has mentioned about this but I fail to understand how does quality of light change on a multi laned highway vs two laned or is it the way the light is dispersed? I had similar issues on almost all the cars I own but I wear glasses and after I shifted to the Zeisis Drive Safe, my problems are over.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...t-driving.html (Spectacle lenses for safer night driving)

Maybe you can check if they make with Zero power as well and it might help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
was under the assumption that Fortuner did not have the brake shudder issue owing to its larger brakes. Mine is a Crysta AT and i have this problem but i live with it waiting for a brake upgrade.
Both of these are meant to be driven around 100-120, whereas you go 50 % over mostly I think the problem is noticed when - You Drive Fast and observe vehicle keenly.

The guys who drive rash and don't bother about their cars will hardly notice nor the ones like me ()who keep mostly within speed limits. Endeavour is definitely better, especially on the high speeds.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th February 2019 at 18:06.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 14:55   #583
BHPian

Hi Guys - Anyone aware of any updates (Cosmetic) to Fortuner planned for this year? I heard we might have a facelift soon but am not really sure
Old 1st March 2019, 15:47   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

A thought came across my mind;

With 420 NM the Toyota Fortuner Manual Transmission Variant may be the most powerful (Torque wise) Diesel 'Manual' in production on Sale in India.

PS - Or is there any other Diesel Car/SUV which has a higher torque rating than 420NM & is a Manual Transmission that im missing out on, then please mention.

Last edited by karan561 : 1st March 2019 at 16:01.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:41   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A thought came across my mind;

With 420 NM the Toyota Fortuner Manual Transmission Variant may be the most powerful (Torque wise) Diesel 'Manual' in production on Sale in India.

PS - Or is there any other Diesel Car/SUV which has a higher torque rating than 420NM & is a Manual Transmission that im missing out on, then please mention.
You are right. The only diesel manuals even nearly as torquey as the Fortuner are the Endeavour and Pajero Sport. Above this regardless of budget, there seem to be no diesel manuals.
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-screen-shot-20190303-1.27.11-am.png

The automatics are another interesting story (when compared to the Fortuner's. price segment)

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-screen-shot-20190303-1.26.32-am.png

Quoting from the suv shootout thread, here's how the top variants' engine specs look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Definitive Premium SUV shootout
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-powerd2.jpg

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-torqued2.jpg
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks