Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 15:54   #751
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post

Also, is the Indian offering a '5 star' in terms of safety like global model.

Slushmaster
You can check out all the crash test reports of all SUVs in this segment here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post4540060 (The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:48   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
You can check out all the crash test reports of all SUVs in this segment here.
[/url]
Thanks vignesh for pointing out the thread, quite valuable information

Now I have another question and pardon my ignorance on this topic- Can we just assume that the vehicle we are getting in India will have the same specs as global standards in terms of safety. Nothing against Fortuner, but just thinking as Toyota nowhere mentions on their Indian website that they have achieved 5 star safety ratings and the reason for it maybe that the indian model is not a 5 star model. Experts please comment.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Old 27th October 2020, 17:39   #753
VRJ
BHPian

Just sent my Fortuner for 40k kms service. The SA tells me they need to change the brake pads and they cost Rs. 12,500 for both the front and rear brake pads (not the discs). Is the price right? This is our first brake pad change. Is 40k kms a good life? The general service estimate was around 15k. So, overall Rs. 30,000 for the 40k km service. Quite steep to be honest. Any inputs are much appreciated. Thank you!

Cheers!

Last edited by Sheel : 28th October 2020 at 11:24. Reason: Typos.
Old 27th October 2020, 17:56   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
The SA tells me they need to change the brake pads and they cost Rs. 12,500 for both the front and rear brake pads
First, ask for evidence (pictures, mm measurements) to check the remaining life of the present pads on your Fortuner, if they do need to be replaced. Don’t blindly trust the ASC, even Toyota.

Do you hear the brakes squealing or screeching when you brake? Have you noticed any unusual brake behavior?

A rough estimate from Boodmo for OEM brake pads (provided the part numbers match) -

Front https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-044650k370-9802333/
Rear https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-044660k010-39070293/

Last edited by Sheel : 28th October 2020 at 11:25. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 18:35   #755
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
First, ask for evidence (pictures, mm measurements) to check the remaining life of the present pads on your Fortuner, if they do need to be replaced. Don’t blindly trust the ASC, even Toyota.

Do you hear the brakes squealing or screeching when you brake? Have you noticed any unusual brake behaviour?
Just drove from Vizag to Hyd and back. It was a 2k kms road trip and not once I faced a loss in braking power or heard any sort of noises. I was surprised when he told me that my brake pads need to be changed. He told me the brakes would last only 500 kms more. I asked him to send me pictures, first he said the brake pads are totally worn out, you have to get it changed right away. But I insisted on the images, then he told me the vehicle is already on the lift and he’ll send me. He called me back in 5 minutes and told me the vehicle is not on the lift anymore and he can’t send me. Sounded a bit fishy. So, I asked the SA to stop installing new brake pads and I’ll go tomorrow morning and check them myself. Thank you for the price link. Almost similar to what Toyota quoted.

One more thing, what is differential oil? Sorry for the noob question. I’m a business student. Mine is a 4x2 MT. There’s obviously no diff lock or something. Is differential oil used to lubricate other parts? This was mentioned right after engine oil in the estimate.

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 27th October 2020 at 18:42.
VRJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 19:17   #756
BHPian

Quote:
not once I faced a loss in braking power or heard any sort of noises. He told me the brakes would last only 500 kms more. I asked him to send me pictures, first he said the brake pads are totally worn out, you have to get it changed right away. But I insisted on the images, then he told me the vehicle is already on the lift and he’ll send me. He called me back in 5 minutes and told me the vehicle is not on the lift anymore and he can’t send me. Sounded a bit fishy.

One more thing, what is differential oil? Sorry for the noob question. I’m a business student. Mine is a 4x2 MT.
Thanks for the hilarious story of the elusive brake pads! Gotta love seeing a person trying to find excuses when you call his bluff. Stories like these make me NEVER trust the ASC of any manufacturer.

When service advisors start throwing out alarming numbers (like 500kms), it immediately makes me smell a rat, especially since you’ve just come off a 2000kms road trip with zero braking issues. For pads to only have such little life left, you should have already started hearing the pads squealing. And it’s odd for the front & rear pads to go out together. Usually (not always), it’s the front pads which wear out before the rear.

Anyway, go to the ASC & find out the reality. If the pads are indeed worn out, they should look like this - https://www.wowwoodys.com/how-do-you...ur-brake-pads/ and then fair enough, change them. But if they’re still thick, and you aren’t facing any braking issues, why waste your hard earned money?

Regarding the differential, your Fortuner, even though 2WD, it’s powered by the rear wheels (rear wheel drive). It does this using a differential. The differential is the big round object which is located just forward of the spare tyre - https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...ortuner-55.jpg The differential is lubricated by splash lubrication, and it’s replacement interval will be clearly mentioned in your owner’s/service manual.

A good video explaining how a rear differential works (for your knowledge) -

You don’t need to apologise at all mate. I’m not a mechanic myself (far from it), but I have no problem in helping others with whatever knowledge I have of automobiles. I hate seeing innocent people getting fleeced by others, unknowingly.

I wonder what else has the ASC recommended you get changed, which you may not need? Feel free to share the estimate from the ASC, if you wish.

Your experience deserves a post in this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-pandemic.html (Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses incurred during the pandemic?)

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 27th October 2020 at 19:25.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 01:44   #757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the price right? This is our first brake pad change. Is 40k kms a good life? The general service estimate was around 15k. So, overall Rs. 30,000 for the 40k km service. Quite steep to be honest.
Usually, Toyota dealers are very particular about the brakes and yes, they do indeed measure. 40K is a good time to change given our stop & go conditions but it's not usual for both front and rear going bad at the same time.

You can go-ahead with the change now or run little more But risk the discs getting warped. Don't take decision by seeing pictures or feeling, service center will have a gauge to measure. Apart from the brakes, it appears, they have added some additional charges as the usual Oil service should be around 8-10K if I am not mistaken.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:18   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Just sent my Fortuner for 40k kms service. The SA tells me they need to change the brake pads and they cost Rs. 12,500 for both the front and rear break pads(not the discs)
I think the life you have got of almost 40K kms is pretty good since in my car which is a 2015 model 4x4 A/T the brake pads last around 20 K kms only and are changed around that mark almost every time. Even after this I have also got disc skimming twice or thrice IIRC.

Since, my car does not have rear disc brakes so only front brake pads are changed and cost around 5-6 K from the ASC.

Hope this helps.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 23:26   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Just sent my Fortuner for 40k kms service. The SA tells me they need to change the brake pads and they cost Rs. 12,500 for both the front and rear brake pads (not the discs). Is the price right? This is our first brake pad change. Is 40k kms a good life? The general service estimate was around 15k. So, overall Rs. 30,000 for the 40k km service. Quite steep to be honest. Any inputs are much appreciated. Thank you!

Cheers!
Prices quoted by him seems fine. You can check and order genuine Toyota parts from https://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/

In the end the site directs to contact authorised service center.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:21   #760
BHPian

Hi everyone,

After contemplating for months and seemingly getting nowhere in sedan v. SUV debate churning in my head, I have finally decided to go ahead with the Big-T (and ditch the excellent price/ power/ style/ comfort package of the new Superb). For record, I would love to have both, but such are the limitations in life, can only opt for one at the moment.

The reasons primarily are reliability, peace of mind ownership, go-anywhere ability, GC, right of way on the road, stable engine & model (been around enough), and the excellent feedback from the T-BHP community - would be a privilege to join the gang.

I understand people may want to wait out and opt for the 2021 registration or atleast wait for the facelift to arrive, but i have still decided to go ahead for the following reasons:

(i) Retention Period: I retain my cars for ages (last Fabia still going strong for 8 years now and used as second card at home) so Dec/Jan consideration is not much relevant.

(ii) Facelift delays: Not sure when and in what state the facelift will arrive and if it will get the retuned engine. My personal feelings is that we may see another set of cosmetic upgrades and a price hike to make it appear more overpriced (or god forbid they introduce the smaller 2.4 engine and make the 2.8 even more pricier). Even if retuned 2.8 arrives, I am still content with power and efficiency of the current state of tuning - in fact might be better from longevity perspective (again my personal feeling).

(iii)Timing: On timing, I feel we are still 5-6 months away to see the facelift, and I don't want to wait for that long anymore (have already deferred the purchase by 3-4 months).

So, I did connect with a few dealers in Rajasthan (Jaipur) on price and availability, and feedback is as follows:

(i) Availability: No ready availability (neither model or colours), as expected. Waiting period is for 2-3 weeks, more so with Diwali closing in (atleast Crysta and Fortuners are still crowd favorites in North India, despite the pandemic). Default recommendation in Rajasthan is plain white (not even pearl white) for fastest availability.

(ii) Price: Zero discounts - maximum floor mats or some changes in insurance quotes. The OTR breakup for 4*4 MT is as below:

Ex-showroom: 32.64 Lakhs
RTO: 4.52 Lakhs
Insurance: ~1.49 Lakhs
TCS: ~25 Thousand
Fastag: 600
TRC: 500
Total: ~38.90

(iii) Finance: Lowest private banks are going is 7.5% (reducing balance), but Toyota Finance is stuck to 7.75%.

Queries: It would be really helpful if anyone can provide some feedback based on their recent experience.

(i) Discounts: Don't expect much bargain here, but would be good if someone manage to even save a penny from Toyota. I feel there is scope to shave off few thousands in insurance quote.

(ii) Interest rates: While not much different, please let me know if anyone has managed to get or seen better loan rates (my feeling is that 7.5 is lowest atleast till Diwali). Understand the difference is not much, but at this level of payout anything saved adds to some accessories.

Treatment from dealership, though courteous, is arrogant - take it or leave it types.

Any help or feedback from existing and prospective owners would be really helpful.
Old 4th November 2020, 11:34   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
After contemplating for months and seemingly getting nowhere in sedan v. SUV debate churning in my head, I have finally decided to go ahead with the Big-T
That's quite a steep decision there, especially with the facelift just around the corner. Did you not consider the Endeavour at all, if I may ask? If so, why?

Quote:
Treatment from dealership, though courteous, is arrogant - take it or leave it types.
Not surprising at all, when you are talking about the "king" of the segment . Ford dealers, on the other hand, are amazingly courteous when it comes to handling prospective customers.

Last edited by cool_dube : 4th November 2020 at 11:39.
Old 4th November 2020, 13:33   #762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
Any help or feedback from existing and prospective owners would be really helpful.
Wait for few more weeks and get the face-lifted one. No use of buying an outgoing one when you have a month and few weeks left in the Year.
Old 4th November 2020, 13:46   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Wait for few more weeks and get the face-lifted one.
Are you sure about this timeframe? All auto magazines are reporting Feb-Mar 2021 as the tentative launch timeline.
Old 4th November 2020, 14:32   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota is not able to sell the TRD Sportivo edition at that exorbitant price. Once it gets sold out, the new Fortuner will come to India. The TRD Sportivo was launched as a stop-gap measure till the facelifted one came.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2020 at 07:26. Reason: As requested
Old 5th November 2020, 19:45   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That's quite a steep decision there, especially with the facelift just around the corner. Did you not consider the Endeavour at all, if I may ask? If so, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Wait for few more weeks and get the face-lifted one. No use of buying an outgoing one when you have a month and few weeks left in the Year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Are you sure about this timeframe? All auto magazines are reporting Feb-Mar 2021 as the tentative launch timeline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Toyota is not able to sell the TRD Sportivo editions at the those exorbitant price, once they get sold out the new Fortuner will come to India. The TRD Sportivo was launched as a stop-gap measure till the facelifted one came.
Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Endeavour v. Fortuner: While Endeavour does feel plusher with its goodies (especially the moon-roof which is one thing my kid wants) and mature ride, it was not considered for the following reasons:

1. Only auto-boxes: While autos are future of transmission, family's mandate is to bag the last bit of manuals with big engines, while they still sell them (guess we are in last generation of MTs, especially for big trucks) - just feels a wee bit engaging to drive, but its a personal bias for MTs. But nothing against autoboxes - they are every bit fun, engaging, utterly convenient to drive on all the smaller automatics we currently have (Vento, Creta, City and Wagon-R). Also, the excessive premium for auto-boxes, reduced fuel economy (due to size & weight), our intended use (90% use on open roads) and personal preference, we prefer an MT for this purchase.

2. No price advantage: Again, nothing against Ford or the package on offer (which is better or at par in many aspects), but given the smaller engine and the market preference, expected some price advantage from Ford to woo the customers away from Toyota - particularly when it has lost its advantage on the car's heart - the engine.

3. Bleak Future: Concerns over availability of long term service and support directly from Ford for its vehicles is the biggest negative at this stage, particularly for a complex, sophisticated and costly vehicle such as Endeavour. We already face difficulties to source parts and get our Pajero serviced. This problem is further amplified in non-metro zones - just not convenient having to send the car 300 kms away to get it serviced.

Facelift: This was a more deliberated and considered decision. As I had already pointed out, and apart from the possible engine upgrade, I am not interested in other cosmetic upgrades that the facelift are expected to offer (based on Thai specs being quoted - not sure what all will come to India, including the engine upgrade). Further, the sun-roof is also not on cards - which is the one thing my son cares about :(. In-fact, after going through the facelift pages extensively (and over and over again), I feel that I will end up paying bit more for the vehicle whose previous iteration I just love and am comfortable with (including the current state of tune of the engine). Also, I much prefer the current looks, save for Legender which does feel desirable and looks much better, but it could be priced prohibitively if launched (and that is a big IF).

I realize and accept that one pays considerable premium while purchasing a Fortuner, but the upgrades are simply not worth the additional premium - the current gen itself has seen hike of about 1.5-2 Lakh since its launch in 2017. Don't want to pay anymore than already required - probably this the reason of limited sale of TRD variants when compared to regular ones - the excess price is just not worth the cheap kit offered.

Also, as for schedule of facelift - I concur, i don't see it being available before next fiscal.

Again, i accept that Toyota may make me look as a complete idiot on all counts with the facelift - but I am content with the current 4*4 MT just the way it is (and its taken a lot of effort to get here too).

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 6th November 2020 at 10:59. Reason: Mod note attached.
On the Move is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks