Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 08:53   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
In Europe and US the most widely available fuel is of RON 97, the RS engine being imported, that could be the reason for the huge difference in drive performance.
The engine here is also detuned wrt to it's European version which has 175Nm torque and 109 bhp.

Have you made any suspension changes or changes to wheels?
Drive on,
Shibu
Old 6th March 2020, 22:05   #287
ada
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The engine here is also detuned wrt to it's European version which has 175Nm torque and 109 bhp.

Have you made any suspension changes or changes to wheels?
Drive on,
Shibu
No, I have not made any suspension change. Though I was tempted to go for Rogerab duo from Rogers.
Old 12th June 2021, 09:27   #288
BHPian

- Point wise likes & dislikes of the car (summary)

. Easy to drive whether the driver is an enthusiast or not. Probably the biggest advantage of the car.
. Right size for city use, easy to park especially with the great reversing camera. I’m glad MS provided a camera of useful resolution as compared to what I’ve seen on the Venue.
. Neutral to slightly sporty design, the lack of sharp lines works for some people.
. Steering is correctly weighted for city and highway driving (with a caveat, see dislikes).
. Comfortable driver and front passenger seats. Easy to find a comfortable driving position.
. Amazing legroom. I’m 6’4” and I have a bit of a laid-back driving position, yet a tall person can easily sit behind the driver’s seat. There won’t be too many cars in this segment where I can say this.
. Really like the auto-dimming IRVM. UV resistant windows make driving at night/day painless.
. Easy to overtake both in cities and highways. The turbocharger really helps here.
. Good headlights. Haven’t had to modify them in any way.
. No major blindspots although being tall, my visibility from inside the car isn’t ideal even at the lowest seat position. The IRVM does block my view a little and I find myself ducking to keep an eye on traffic lights, etc. But this is less of a problem on highways.
. Hassle-free service experience with Nexa. Zero problems thus far, and they’ve been very friendly too. The car gets cleaned thoroughly during service.
. Very usable boot.
. Very good AC.
. Good ICE and touchscreen even if a bit slow to respond.

Dislikes:
. Overall build quality- both exterior and interior.
. The plastic on top of the dashboard can be quite reflective, especially on a sunny day.
. Lack of lumbar support.
. One of my biggest problems with the RS is the handling, specifically, steering stability at speeds above 110 kph.
. Lack of any sort of underbody protection.
. Car not built for an enthusiast.
. The suspension, while decent, isn’t as good or soft as an i10/i20 in my experience.
. NVH, while alright in the city, is not great at highway speeds.
. I’m not a big fan of the curvy design of the RS. I like sharp lines. The rear looks good, but I don’t like the front end design.
. Miss auto-sensing wipers.
. Mostly useless driver center armrest unless you're tall and sitting far back.

Our Baleno RS is a 2018 model, we’ve driven about 16,000km since (only, yes!). Engine spec: 998 CC, variant RS. And here’s my ownership review. Hoping this is still relevant to someone.

- All the alternatives that were considered, and why you zeroed in on this particular car:
Well, this car was gifted to us post wedding, and we weren’t party to the decision, unfortunately. So, I don’t have useful points to make here. Although, I was, and still am excited about the Abarth Punto and the VW GTI. These would have been my considerations given that at that point in life, I was looking for a hatchback. I must admit that a Maruti was never on any list, personally for me. No Maruti hate here, I don’t really care about brands all that much. I consider myself an enthusiast and MS has never had a car that crossed my mind in terms of performance or looks. I might have ignored the scandals and gone with a VW after all. But I don’t dislike the RS, given that it’s a car everyone around me is happy to drive too.

- The good and bad about its features
I’ve mentioned the features that are good about the RS, and I believe those convey what I like sufficiently even in summary form. I’d like to expand on a few dislikes if I may:

Build quality- both exterior and interior. We’ve done several long trips and we’ve picked up quite a few small but noticeable dents due to stones off the road. No, these are not because we were tailing a laden truck. Our highways are littered with debris, unfortunately.

The exterior sheet metal is easy to bend in certain areas with minimal hand pressure (roof, doors, bonnet). You can feel this even while wiping the car after a wash. I have a slightly noticeable dent on the front of the bonnet after parking in a public space. My guess for the cause of this dent is that somebody leaned against or sat on this part of the bonnet, as the dent slightly resembles the shape of someone’s rear (!). I often see people doing this in public parking spaces, and more often than that, when parked close to a tea stall and may even be the folks who handle parking tickets (and their friends who hang around).

In fact, the morning after we first got the car home, my dad (who is no automobile expert by any stretch) noticed that they've used really thin sheet metal on the exterior. Of all cars I've personally come across close enough to “feel” the sheet metal, this is by far the flimsiest. I think it's as or more flimsy than an Alto. I'm not suggesting that it is then less safe than other cars, but I don't find it surprising that it's one of the lightest cars in the segment. Initially every dent or scratch would bother me, but now they don't matter as much as there's not a whole lot I can do about it.

I don’t expect the interior plastic to be premium in this price point, and given the brand, but I wish they had used slightly better material. I haven’t noticed any rattling yet, but the overall feel isn’t great or inviting. No complaints about how the overall cabin looks though.

The plastic used on top of the dashboard can be quite reflective, especially on a sunny day. This is most noticeable soon after service or any detail/coating work. And I’m not the only one who’s noticed this. On long drives, use of sunglasses is recommended to prevent headaches due to the reflected light coming off the plastic as well as the inside of the windshield. While the material isn’t glossy per se, I have seen better less-reflective plastic in other cars (Venue, i20, Vento for example).

I’d appreciate some form of lumbar support during long drives (any good recommendations?).

One of my biggest problems with the RS is the handling, specifically, steering at speeds above 110 kph. As soon as you hit 110-115, there’s a drastic difference in the steering- it becomes too light and remains so at these speeds. You can almost predict the exact speed at which this happens. While I never drive at these speeds in any car for too long, there are sections of certain highways where doing 120 kph feels fine, but in the RS I need to have a steady hold of the wheel to maintain ~120. And this change in handling or ride quality is felt by anyone in the car regardless of where they’re seated. This is the only car that I’ve ever driven that has this issue. Very quickly, I get the speeds back down to <110kph as it isn’t the most comfortable feeling. It’s a bit of a shame as the car gets to those speeds fairly effortlessly. On our last trip, we had a few Altrozs overtake us while we were doing a hundred, and that’s when I noticed Tata’s great design choices with it (I’m happy for you, Tata. For that and your paint job!).

- Your usage pattern:
We don’t use the car for daily trips, thanks to work-from-home and having a two-wheeler. So, our use would be weekly short trips in the city and longer trips when travelling.

- Comments on the exterior styling & design:
I’m more of a BMW fan (even Hyundai actually) when it comes to styling and design. I don’t think I’ve found any newer MS appealing really. The last cool looking MS was probably the Esteem for me.

- Overall build quality, fit & finish, paint quality and panel gaps:
Regarding paint quality, while it looks good and I have no problems with the finish, I think the exterior is rather prone to scratches. Every time I park in the city, I end up with a few minute scratches that reveal the metal underneath. On one occasion, a friend who had parked next to us opened their door and made contact with our door panel, in a way I’d describe as softly, but that still left a tiny dent with some paint missing.

I'm one of those who likes to keep the car clean and shining. But one thing I noticed about the paint is that some bird droppings leave a permanent stain. Not all, but some that I think are more acidic or reactive than others (bats, for example). Cars (such as a Venue) that receive a similar dose of bird poop don't seem to have these stains. I could be wrong here, but this is what I've noticed. Our roof has a few stains that are visible from certain angles. Most people won't notice though. My solution has been to wash the droppings away as soon as possible, but of course, this can’t always be done.

- Driving position, ergonomics, controls & MID:
Ideal driving position is easy to attain, even for a tall driver, thanks to the fully adjustable steering wheel and height adjustable seats. All buttons are easily accessible, especially the AC controls. As a passenger, I wish there was a volume control knob, it's a pain to use the touch screen for this. Of course, there are controls for this on the steering, as well a helpful mute button, but as a passenger, it should be easier. I like cars that have physical knobs for essential media controls.

While the front two seats are comfortable, I don’t find the seats at the back to be as comfortable on long trips. No complaints about legroom or headroom here, but the rear seat design could have been better in terms of support, especially for long-legged folks. On long trips, you'll see people at the back start to move around after a while.

The MID is nice and crisp, legible in all weather and light. I like the colours and design of it (see image). The information is good enough but I almost never use the torque/power graphic as I think it's rather gimmicky than useful.

There are sufficient storage spaces as well as USB charging options in the car. No issues there. I like the lead-to-car or home and auto headlights, puddle lamps in the doors- very practical.

- Engine performance & driveability in the city:
The combination of the turbocharger and friendly steering makes driving this car a breeze in the city. Highway performance is alright too, apart from the issue I’ve mentioned earlier in the post. The turbo lag is noticeable, but given the specs, I don’t find it surprising. I must say that the lag is no where inhibitive, and overtaking is very easy, either in the city or on the highways, even with a full car and AC blasting. There are times when the turbo kicks in where something in me anticipates a little pushing back of the head, a bit of a palpable surge, but that never comes.
The gear shifts are easy, no problems there too.

- Overall NVH levels (including engine, wind & road noise):
Listening to good music on drives of any length is integral to me. During city driving, the bass-leaning speakers are sufficient and you can cut out some of the traffic noise around you. On highways, I really wish NVH levels were better. Road and wind noise do creep in, to the extent that music isn’t really enjoyable after a point. On badly finished roads, it only gets worse, and don’t expect to catch any subtle tones in your collection. I’m not the type who just cranks up the volume, so there’s that.

On a related note, the USB connectivity (for Android Auto) can be unreliable every now and then. I’ve tried different cables that are highly rated but now and then, it gets disconnected. I find this issue only with Android based phones and never on an iPhone. So, I’m guessing it has something to do with the quality of connection. I’ve spoken to service folks but haven’t been able to fix this. With a good quality cable, the likelihood of a disconnection is less but not eliminated entirely. I’b be happy to switch to wireless AA if it becomes available on the RS .

- Fuel efficiency: City and Highway
In city, we get an average of 11-12 km/l with the AC on almost always. On highways, we’ve seen around 15-16 km/l.

In the end, it’s good to see MS experiment with an “RS badge” and I hope they continue to and come up with some actually inspiring engine specs that appeal to people like me. They have a huge market share and I think they should be able to play around comfortably. And I also hope that they improve their build quality and material choices; make people feel like they’re driving well-built cars that are safe too.

There we go. Hopefully I haven't missed anything major. Feel free to ask specific questions if anyone still has any about this car!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-dsc_8001.jpg  

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-img_2426.jpg  

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-dsc_8050.jpg  

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-screenshot-20210603-14.40.10.jpg  

Gaboonviper04 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 22:31   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaboonviper04 View Post
-
In the end, it’s good to see MS experiment with an “RS badge” and I hope they continue to and come up with some actually inspiring engine specs that appeal to people like me.
Your Baleno with the sweet skirts all around is a Sleeper. Add the fact that it is also a perfect family car makes it even more desirable. Knowing it has been discontinued should make you happy for at least 10 more years.

Maruti normally never experiments. With the 2 Door Zen Duo many years ago, it was clearing the inventory and with the Baleno, I am quite sure they wanted feedback from customers for their turbocharged motors before they could localize it. I've not seen Maruti selling anything which had monthly sales in 3 digits.
viren83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 00:05   #290
BHPian

A sleeper indeed. And the car is really easy to drive in the city, and with loads of room in the cabin. So, yeah it's practical and works for most.

This makes sense:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
... I am quite sure they wanted feedback from customers for their turbocharged motors before they could localize it. I've not seen Maruti selling anything which had monthly sales in 3 digits.
Gaboonviper04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 21:55   #291

@gaboonviper04 I agree with 99% of your feedback as a fellow Baleno RS owner. I see that MS team have made minor improvements in 2019 model which I own.

I will try to cover in my ownership review someday!!
Bluto18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:43   #292
BHPian

Hello Team,

I have a close friend who has a Baleno RS 2017 I believe. He asked me to accompany him to the showroom as he has completed 80K Kms. To our surprise the workshop is clueless. They don't even know what is required to be done. A couple of posts earlier there was a mention of injector scanning with the SDT tool. I dont think any of this is being done to the car. Every time he goes, he has to make them to fit the parts specifically for RS. Thanks to the members for helping us fellow RS members out.

Please could someone help me out with what needs to be done. Currently, the car drives worse than the 1.2NA. All the help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:28   #293
BHPian

Hello members,
I have a 32k KM run 2017 Baleno RS, since 1 month my steering has become very hard and making creaking noise even with slightest turning of the wheel. Last week during service I did mention it to my SA at Nexa, He mentioned that replacement for steering assembly is the only solution. He said that there was a provision for free replacement of steering wheel with similar complaint for vehicles less than 5 year old. Now my car is not eligible and they have said they will provide 50% of the cost. Any owners out there who faced similar problems & is there any way that I can approach MSIL to lessen my cost burden?
Thank you.
RahulRV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 12:30   #294
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
Hello members,
I have a 32k KM run 2017 Baleno RS, since 1 month my steering has become very hard and making creaking noise even with slightest turning of the wheel. Last week during service I did mention it to my SA at Nexa, He mentioned that replacement for steering assembly is the only solution. He said that there was a provision for free replacement of steering wheel with similar complaint for vehicles less than 5 year old. Now my car is not eligible and they have said they will provide 50% of the cost. Any owners out there who faced similar problems & is there any way that I can approach MSIL to lessen my cost burden?
Thank you.
Have you seen this post by member Sai Teja, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ki-nexa-2.html (My 1-month internship experience at Maruti-Suzuki Nexa)

An excerpt from his post:
Quote:
On the very first day, me and bunty were assigned to work under two technicians. Both of those technicians were young, under 30 but they have been doing this work for the past 11-12 years each. The first job which I assisted on was the replacement of the steering rack on a 2016 Baleno. The early Baleno's did have a problem with the power steering system, which we ourselves have encountered with our 2017 model. However, I don't remember Maruti Suzuki issuing any recall but the service centers were surprisingly willing to change the racks when any issue with them was noticed and that too for free of cost. The issue of this power steering involved a noticeably heavier steering and squeaky noises from column at times. The noises could often be mistaken for poorly assembled interiors of the marutis, but the weight of the steering makes the driver to pin point the issue. So when I asked for a bit of detailing regarding this issue which we ourselves have been plagued with, the technician informed me that the assist motor was at times delivering bit too much torque to the rack, which grinded the gears on the rack and the advisable fix was to replace the rack (advised by MS india). After the disassembly of the older rack from the car, I tried to get a look of the older rack but it wasn't visible as it was well shielded and wasn't easy to break apart either. The new rack was fitted and the car was now good to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks