Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2017, 21:33   #151
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I took delivery yesterday. White base variant diesel Tucson.................But the passenger one seems low. Though this time my wife didn't complain as much,...........
Congratulations to you on your new car. Looks smashing in white for sure. Hope you have had a wonderful & pleasant weekend drive as you were planning.

This is one vehicle I was most impressed with during my test drives this year. Did not take the plunge since I was waiting for AWD, Sunroof & ventilated seats that will be so helpful in Mumbai summers. And except for AWD, the other two were been made available in the AWD iteration they just launched. So the wait for my next ride continues.

Kindly update us with regard to passenger seat height and how the lady found the same. If you do go for the aftermarket height adjuster "Risers" , please update regarding comfort and how better it is.

Have a wonderful ownership experience and hope to read your ownership report soon.

Cheers.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 08:32   #152
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations vharihar!

Quote:
I am unable to experience the famously claimed diesel benefit of "can go in fairly high gear even in slow traffic". I had 4-5 occasions where the vehicle stalled and turned off.
That is the trait of old school naturally aspirated diesels. These new turbo-charged units don't like lugging at all. So, always be in the right gear.

Most of these units have anti-stall built into the engine management, so its very difficult to stall the engine. But if you have stalled it multiple times, you are seriously lugging the engine - that is too high a gear for the speed. Shift down one or two gears. Its bad for the drive train otherwise.

And don't shift up too frequently in slow traffic. Be in the right gear for the speed and load, and drive it like an automatic. You can also rely on engine braking to slow the car down if you watch the traffic properly. Your engine, brakes and passengers will love you for it.

Quote:
Also the headlights operation is a bit odd: The stalk seems to have 4 positions. The 2nd and last (4th) positions seem identical in effect. What am I missing? I wonder! RTFM I guess!
Maybe its a dummy slot for auto headlights?

Quote:
I have a bit of a problem with the keyless-tailgate: Suppose I am walking towards my Tucson with some valuable (say office laptop bag) to take off on a drive....Lastly, what is the 3rd button in the remote? It has a tailgate picture on it. But nothing happens when I press it, other than lights blinking for 2 seconds. Again RTFM I guess.
That's how it is in the Creta as well. Its very confusing. It is for you to unlock the boot alone for someone else from a distance. Don't know why Hyundai doesn't make the tailgate pop when you hold that button. It works like that in a Ford and is less baffling.

The first time I encountered that, I had to call up a friend of mine who owns a Creta to confirm how it works.

Laptop bags are best kept behind the driver seat on the floor.

Enjoy the miles with the Tucson!
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 13:01   #153
BHPian

Thanks all for the wishes.

Had an occasion to use cruise control on the airport highway last weekend. Loved it! Looking fwd to long highway trips ...

One problem I noticed (perhaps only in the base variant, not sure) is that the ignition key hole isn't illuminated. My 6 year old SX4 that whose OTR price was 1/3rd that of my Tucson, had illuminated ignition key hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...And don't shift up too frequently in slow traffic. Be in the right gear for the speed and load, and drive it like an automatic. You can also rely on engine braking to slow the car down if you watch the traffic properly. Your engine, brakes and passengers will love you for it. ...
Well, if I dont upshift as I do now, then the engine revvs too much. Besides entailing bad FE, I feel *that* large revving engine sound would be more uncomfy for passengers. So what am I missing? (I upshift somewhere at 2200 - 2500 rpm, IIRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...Maybe its a dummy slot for auto headlights?
Yes. I learned that the 2nd position is for auto lights. You can just leave it in that position forever and it'll sense ambient lighting and turn on headlights automatically as needed, and also turns them off when you leave and lock the car. The 4th similar position means mandatorily leaving it on (would stay on even if you leave and lock the car)

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2017 at 09:59. Reason: As requested :)
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 19:56   #154
BHPian

Bought this cargo cover accessory:

Danti Black Retractable Rear Trunk Cargo Luggage Security Shade Cover Shield for Hyundai Tucson 2016 (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B015R1TBFG/..._M6bhAbH16R27M)

Fits neatly and is very impressive. It's not included in the base variant, hence I bought it as an accessory.
Old 27th November 2017, 21:04   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I learned that the 2nd position is for auto lights. You can just leave it in that position forever and it'll sense ambient lighting and turn on headlights automatically as needed, and also turns them off when you leave and lock the car. The 4th similar position means mandatorily leaving it on (would stay on even if you leave and lock the car)
Yes that is for the auto lights ON position. There's one demerit of leaving it in this position forever. I have seen a few cases, especially when the car is parked in shade or on a cloudy/foggy day, where the light remains on even when the car is switched off and drains the battery. Do check under what conditions the light can remain ON so that you can avoid such a situation.

Wish you many happy miles on your new ride.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 22:48   #156
BHPian

So guys finally took delivery of my Hyundai Tuscon Petrol AT GL in white. Amazing car with very stable ride and handling miles ahead of my Honda City.
Haven't driven it much now but MID shows around an avg of 9Kmpl in city driving primarily which is what I expected. Delivery time was spot on by the dealer and I got the updated GL model with additional safety features (ASM, VSC, BA etc.). Hoping for a good ownership experience.
Jetblast101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 08:11   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast101 View Post
So guys finally took delivery of my Hyundai Tuscon Petrol AT GL in white. Amazing car with very stable ride and handling miles ahead of my Honda City.
Haven't driven it much now but MID shows around an avg of 9Kmpl in city driving primarily which is what I expected. Delivery time was spot on by the dealer and I got the updated GL model with additional safety features (ASM, VSC, BA etc.). Hoping for a good ownership experience.
Congratulations! Do post pictures and ownership experience. The Hyundai Tuscon is a great looking SUV. Not very small and not to big, so perfect for both, city & highway driving.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 10:03   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Jetblast101 on the delivery of your Tucson Petrol. Tucson is a perfectly sized vehicle and will be a great ownership for sure.

Hope to read your ownership report and decision making process with regard to how you narrowed down your choice to this beauty.

Congratulations once again and wishing you miles and miles of blissful ownership.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 10:59   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! Wish you very many miles of safe and pleasant driving. I am loving my Tucson every bit!
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:02   #160
BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery yesterday. White base variant diesel Tucson. This is my first diesel vehicle. Am getting used to diesels, will take a little while.
Hi Vharihar,

Can you shed some light on the clutch in the base variant diesel? Does it have a long play or short? I had been to the showroom in Mumbai today and I was told that they do not have a manual transmission demo car and that I ll have to TD the automatic to gauge the driving dynamics.

I am keen on booking the same variant, however I foresee a slight risk in booking it without experiencing how the clutch play is as it will play a crucial role in bumper to bumper traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2017 at 20:22.
Old 3rd December 2017, 21:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Hi Vharihar,

Can you shed some light on the clutch in the base variant diesel? Does it have a long play or short? I had been to the showroom in Mumbai today and I was told that they do not have a manual transmission demo car and that I ll have to TD the automatic to gauge the driving dynamics.

I am keen on booking the same variant, however I foresee a slight risk in booking it without experiencing how the clutch play is as it will play a crucial role in bumper to bumper traffic.
I too didn't get a manual car during TD. But I went for it. I am not disappointed.

I don't recall any issue with the clutch play or travel. The only issue I had was likely my getting used to a diesel car coming from a petrol car, esp given the gearing ratios. I'd have it stall on 2nd gear often in the initial days, but am now getting used to it.
Old 8th December 2017, 22:52   #162

Quote:
I too didn't get a manual car during TD. But I went for it. I am not disappointed.

I don't recall any issue with the clutch play or travel. The only issue I had was likely my getting used to a diesel car coming from a petrol car, esp given the gearing ratios. I'd have it stall on 2nd gear often in the initial days, but am now getting used to it.
Dear Vharihar,

I am planning to buy base variant in Petrol. Can you please share pictures of dashboard if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance
Old 26th December 2017, 14:38   #163
BHPian

I spent christmas afternoon with a spanking new Tucson GLS Petrol AT. Belongs to a very dear friend of mine. It took his family a little over 2 years to decide on a worthy replacement for their ageing 2007 Civic Automatic. The cars considered were Compass, Kodiaq, Tiguan, Tucson & Creta.

They had booked a Compass Petrol AT during launch. The promised delivery date of their Compass got delayed. After checking out the competition, they were disappointed with the drive and interior space the Compass had to offer. Non availability of Limited (O) variant pretty much sealed the deal for the Compass. The additional couple of lakhs for a Tucson are in my opinion worth it considering some extra features (6 airbags), cruise control, electric driver seat etc and more spacious interiors.

Some observations and comparisons drawn from the point of view from a Creta Petrol Automatic owner.
  1. The lock/unlock single tone horn beep is terribly annoying. The horn of the car is loud but I feel the sound of the Creta horn is better.
  2. The start up instrument cluster sounds are incredibly irritating everytime you start or shut down the car.
  3. The electric boot works only when in P, as we figured out in the mall.
  4. The yellow fogs seem a little out of place in a sea of white lights, located just above the white DRL and below the lovely dual LED headlights. The Hyundai dealer threw in a complimentary high beam upgrade to white lights as well.
  5. The front driver seat is supremely comfortable. The electric adjustments are a joy to use, probably one of the nicest most comfortable drivers seats that I have been in. Love the organ type accelerator pedal. I felt the driver sits a little higher in the Tucson than in a Creta?
  6. Love that the electric hand brake disengages automatically when shifting from P to D or N to D while starting from standstill or at a red light.
  7. MID on the Tucson showed 9-9.4 kmpl. Will check back with my friend soon on what the real world numbers are. My Creta averages ~10kmpl (Tank full Method, no DTE)
  8. The front passenger sits a little too low I felt. No height adjust on the passenger side.
  9. The Hyundai smart key seems to be common all the way from Grand i10 to the Tucson.
  10. Interiors are bright and airy. Wish black seat colour was an option.
  11. Love the design of the allows. 18 Inches look very good.
  12. The drive is very well sorted, definitely felt significantly superior in the transmission and engine department than the Creta. Did not feel sluggish or slow at all. Did not notice any major difference on changing the driving modes. Ride quality is good.
  13. I thought the car is extremely easy to drive. Had no trouble navigating in tight mall parking spaces and in heavy traffic where three cars were squeezing into two lanes. Could not feel the true size of the car. Took one u-turn and the turning radius was a pleasant surprise.
  14. Front parking sensors are useful in tight spaces.
  15. Onroad price with discounts is 10L more than a Creta Petrol Automatic.
  16. Would have been nice to see a sunroof and ventilated seats too at this price point.

Hyundai Tucson : Official Review-img_6763.jpg

Last edited by promit : 26th December 2017 at 14:39.
promit is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 17:32   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I spent christmas afternoon with a spanking new Tucson GLS Petrol AT.
Are you sure its a GLS, AFAIK Petrol just comes in GL AT. The dealer I spoke to made it clear that petrol comes only in GL variant, the GLS top spec is limited to the 4WD Diesel. The price point of a 4WD GLS Diesel is much higher than the Crysta 2.8 AT Touring sport, the other alternative I have been considering (please dont beat me up on comparing cars from 2 different spectrum - but those are my 2 choices right now). It would be nice to know if a Petrol AT is indeed available in the GLS variant.

Last edited by SR-71 : 26th December 2017 at 17:33.
Old 26th December 2017, 18:11   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Yellow light works better than white in fog. So fogs have to be yellow.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks