Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 14:32   #481
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Did you have a test-drive?

Compass is comparable to Tucson in almost all aspects. It is better in some and not in others.
I did take a short test-drive the engine was better than Seltos for a lot of things but "Rolling Starts pickup" seemed the same/similar for all three "Compass, Seltos and Tucson"

The TD was in the older Tucson and not the new one maybe they have improved this aspect but the space inside was still similar to Compass/Seltos and in my books Compass>Tucson for quite a lot of reasons.
ajaiD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:39   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
I am in market for a Seltos/Compass and on insistence of my office colleagues I went to see the Tucson but I was less than impressed while compared to Seltos and Compass. The space is more or less the same and the only plus is the engine.

Anything I am missing here?
Thats strange! I've sat in both and I found the Tucson inside space much more spacious than the Compass, which I found more cramped than my erstwhile SX4!

No idea about the Seltos.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 20:22   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Thats strange! I've sat in both and I found the Tucson inside space much more spacious than the Compass, which I found more cramped than my erstwhile SX4!

No idea about the Seltos.
The space inside Compass is more than enough if you use it as 4 seater. Its seating is better even in back seats as you sit upright without folding your knees and under thigh support is also better due to bigger seat squab. Only thing is due to upright seat backrest you have sit straight which at first time feels a bit stiff but in long run is better for your back and spine.Legroom too is more than sufficient. Only advantage Tucson has is a slightly more powerful engine , but in all other parameters Compass is better.
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 11:08   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
The luggage area is more but the passenger area seems about similar/same.
Old 28th February 2020, 11:28   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
The luggage area is more but the passenger area seems about similar/same.
You won't notice it immediately, but after months of driving on different terrain, door shuts, button press, sound quality etc, you will find the Tucson percievably of much higher quality.

The Elantra costs much lesser than the Seltos but the quality, ride, safety and balance is far greater than the Kia, I've no doubt in my mind that the Kia build, though well above the regular Japanese fare, is nowhere close to Hyundai in terms of tightness, tactility and NVH. Try to haggle for a big discount in festive season in about 4 months for the Tucson. The Seltos is much more city friendly and will give more FE and will be cheaper to maintain though.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 14:11   #486
BHPian

I own a Tucson 2.0L diesel 4WD. I took test drive of both the Compass and Tucson. Compass is a great car. But I was blown away by the NVH levels and quality of the final product of the Tucson. Point to be noted here is that the rear seat space is far far better than the compass. One of the main reasons the bought the Tucson.
Liverpool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 16:02   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You won't notice it immediately, but after months of driving on different terrain, door shuts, button press, sound quality etc, you will find the Tucson percievably of much higher quality.
Will give you the benefit of the doubt in my short and limited experience I was not blown away but yes I was bias. The engine is still quite great compared to the compass thats for sure.
ajaiD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 10:43   #488
BHPian

Hello, this is my first post in Team BHP (I'm a long time reader). Thanks to the moderators for accepting my application.

I'm planning to buy a Hyundai Tucson 2WD Diesel AT. I actually booked the Kia Seltos, but my wife saw the Tucson and she really liked it, so that's what we are planning to buy.

I have some questions and would much appreciate your advice:

1. I was asking the SA about insurance and NCB and he told me to take my own insurance rather than going for the dealer one since it would be cheaper. I have no experience in this regard - do I just get a policy online? What features should I be looking for? Alternatively, if someone in Bangalore has a reliable broker, could you please send me the details - I am thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that a broker might help me get the NCB and so on seamlessly.

2. I need to sell off my old car - is Maruti Truevalue good? I am looking for a clean and hassle-free experience rather than squeezing out the last bit of value from my very old car.

3. The car is going to be launched in about a week or so, and the dealer said that I would be able to get it by the end of the month. I am assuming the process is like this:
- car is launched and then allocated
- SA gives me the VIN and other details, I apply for an insurance policy
- car arrives at the dealer, I do a PDI (using the checklist in the forums)
- SA gives me the bill with all details
- after PDI, I handover the insurance details and the cheque to the dealer
- in a few days, dealer registers the car and I collect it

Is my understanding correct?

4. I haven't discussed any accessories with the SA. From the booking form copy, he put in "Basic Kit, Teflon polish and Ganesha idol". I am planning to get only some floor mats and the Ganesha idol. Do I need a Teflon polish for a brand new car? Are there any other accessories that I should get?

I'm excited and anxious at the same time - buying a car after so many years! Thank you in advance for your help.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:18   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
1. I was asking the SA about insurance and NCB and he told me to take my own insurance rather than going for the dealer one since it would be cheaper. I have no experience in this regard - do I just get a policy online? What features should I be looking for? Alternatively, if someone in Bangalore has a reliable broker, could you please send me the details - I am thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that a broker might help me get the NCB and so on seamlessly.
Hi,
Tucson indeed is a better option. I will try to answer your questions and hope to clear your doubts,

1. Yes getting the car insured by yourself will be lot cheaper. Just make sure it’s a zero depreciation Policy.
2. I think at true value you will lose at least 30k on your resale value. This comes from my personal experiences with them. My wife had a Brio AT. They quoted me 1.8L for the car. I sold the car personally At 2.7L. Yes there is little bit of trouble when you want to sell all by yourself, but it’s worth it. You get to know the person who will look after a piece of your heart. (That’s subjective and emotional attachment one has with the car).
3. Third point looks good to me. Yes getting the car polished before it is subjected to elements is a good idea. You can opt to do it at some detailing shop as well. Keeps the paint protected. I personally like to keep the car factory standard with minimal accessories, so no you don’t need any more accessories. Tucson comes pretty much loaded.

I hope I was able to answer you doubts.
Cheers.
Happy and safe driving. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th March 2020 at 09:30. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Liverpool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 23:23   #490
BHPian

Thank you for your quick response. This is immensely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
1. Yes getting the car insured by yourself will be lot cheaper. Just make sure it’s a zero depreciation Policy.
Thank you, I looked at PolicyBazaar. They have a bunch of options, I will read it and slowly figure it out. One question: what should I give as the IDV? Should it be the ex-showroom price or the on-road price?

Quote:
3. Third point looks good to me.
Thank you, I will print out the checklist and arrange the money to be ready.

Quote:
4. Yes getting the car polished before it is subjected to elements is a good idea.
Ok, I will get it done through them to keep things simple.

Quote:
I hope I was able to answer you doubts.
Yes, thank you once again. I am very excited and have ordered "Live to drive" keychains from the Team-BHP store already.

I have brochures that the SA forwarded on the new Tuscon 2020, including the difference between variants. If anyone is interested, I can post them. Apparently, they get around 15 cars at launch and if you book now, they will be able to deliver by the end of the month.
Old 13th March 2020, 19:39   #491
BHPian

Quote:

I have brochures that the SA forwarded on the new Tuscon 2020, including the difference between variants. If anyone is interested, I can post them. Apparently, they get around 15 cars at launch and if you book now, they will be able to deliver by the end of the month.
Hi, could you please post the brochure of the new 2020 Tucson. My cousin is looking out for one. Also is this car available at the showrooms ??? Have the test drives started ???
Old 13th March 2020, 21:37   #492
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't discussed any accessories with the SA. From the booking form copy, he put in "Basic Kit, Teflon polish and Ganesha idol". I am planning to get only some floor mats and the Ganesha idol. Do I need a Teflon polish for a brand new car? Are there any other accessories that I should get?
Avoid Teflon. Your new car will probably just have some swirls on the paint. If it really does bother you just go to any good detailer and get a wax polish. If you really want protection spend the money on PPF on the edges and mirrors. This is a buyers market now. You really ought to get more than Teflon, idols, etc. Push for floormats, mudflaps, underbody coating, seat covers, and the like. Congrats on the purchase!
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 08:24   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Hi, could you please post the brochure of the new 2020 Tucson. My cousin is looking out for one. Also is this car available at the showrooms ??? Have the test drives started ???
As per the SA, car will be launched on 17-Mar-2020. Test drives will be available from the day of launch. SA says 15 or so cars will be immediately available, and you can book them now itself (which is what I have done).

I have attached the PDF of the launch brochure given by the dealer as well as the difference between the variants. Expected on-road in Bangalore is INR 31-33L (for 2WT AT Diesel).
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson : Official Review-tucson_2020_variants.png  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tucson 2020 2 Page Laminated Sheet.pdf (741.7 KB, 373 views)
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 15:23   #494
BHPian

Quote:

2. I need to sell off my old car - is Maruti Truevalue good? I am looking for a clean and hassle-free experience rather than squeezing out the last bit of value from my very old car.
Welcome to TeamBHP! The Tucson is a great choice.

1) I really appreciate your SA for his honest advice. It is significantly cheaper to take insurance yourself. Do check out coverfox.com. I've tried them for various cars' insurance, and have had a good experience with them. Their quotes are always competitive. Carrying over your NCB will make this even better, and they may be able to guide you on that aspect as well.

2) Truevalue has just started buying used cars even if you don't purchase a Maruti. Since you have clearly mentioned that you prefer a hassle-free experience over extracting every penny, used car aggregators such as TrueValue and Cars24 are a good option. I've used Cars24 once before, and it was a decent experience. Quite hassle-free!

3) I would recommend that you book the insurance AFTER the PDI, just to be safe. Taking insurance online is quote straightforward and doesn't really delay the purchasing process.

4) The carpet floor mats provided by Hyundai are pretty useless. I wouldn't recommend the Teflon coating either. Always better to get your car detailed (or done up with PPF wrap / ceramic coating / etc., depending on your budget and preference) outside.

Quote:
Thank you, I looked at PolicyBazaar. They have a bunch of options, I will read it and slowly figure it out. One question: what should I give as the IDV? Should it be the ex-showroom price or the on-road price?
The IDV for a new vehicle is the ex-showroom price. However, I recommend that you opt for Return to Invoice cover to ensure you road tax and registration amounts are also protected in the unfortunate event of theft or total loss. Zero depreciation cover is also highly recommended.

Good luck with your purchase and may you have many miles of enjoyable driving with the new Tucson!

Last edited by Sheel : 16th March 2020 at 09:29. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
kranti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 07:52   #495
BHPian

Thank you for your advice. I have a few more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
Welcome to TeamBHP! The Tucson is a great choice.

1) I really appreciate your SA for his honest advice. It is significantly cheaper to take insurance yourself. Do check out coverfox.com. I've tried them for various cars' insurance, and have had a good experience with them. Their quotes are always competitive. Carrying over your NCB will make this even better, and they may be able to guide you on that aspect as well.

The IDV for a new vehicle is the ex-showroom price. However, I recommend that you opt for Return to Invoice cover to ensure you road tax and registration amounts are also protected in the unfortunate event of theft or total loss. Zero depreciation cover is also highly recommended.
After reading some forum threads, I was thinking of using PolicyBazaar/Coverfox to get the quote, but go directly to the insurer's website to get the policy. Is this a good approach?

I read that IDV = 95% of the ex-showroom price for the first year, should I set it to 100%?

Quote:
2) Truevalue has just started buying used cars even if you don't purchase a Maruti. Since you have clearly mentioned that you prefer a hassle-free experience over extracting every penny, used car aggregators such as TrueValue and Cars24 are a good option. I've used Cars24 once before, and it was a decent experience. Quite hassle-free!
I will try cars24, thanks.

Quote:
3) I would recommend that you book the insurance AFTER the PDI, just to be safe. Taking insurance online is quote straightforward and doesn't really delay the purchasing process.
Understood, thanks.

Quote:
4) The carpet floor mats provided by Hyundai are pretty useless. I wouldn't recommend the Teflon coating either. Always better to get your car detailed (or done up with PPF wrap / ceramic coating / etc., depending on your budget and preference) outside.
Hmmn, then it seems that the Ganesha idol is the only dealer accessory that I should go for . For now, my plan then is to just get that and not do anything else. Later, I will worry about any kind of coating.

Thank you once again for your help.

Most Viewed