Team-BHP - Maruti Ignis : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti Ignis : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/186135-maruti-ignis-official-review-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by roushan84 (Post 4208645)
My Ignis has now run 850kms and I have been constantly receiving calls from TR Swahney motors (I bought the Ignis from them) tracking the kilometers car has run and when can I send it for 1st service.

They are aggressively pushing that I opt for 'At Home' servicing option where they send their servicing van. One of the reason for this may be that they dont have workshop in Gurgaon. Only workshop they have is in Okhla.

I am wondering if I should opt for their at home servicing as it the 1st service where no major work is going to happen or should I go to a regular maruti service center.

Second dilemma I am in is whether to change engine oil or not? And if should change oil then should it be mineral or synthetic.

Would be great to get feedback from. Ignis owners and other car pundits. :-)

COngratulations. I got a AMT Delta about a month ago, and it's been a pleasant experience so far. I just went through my first service cycle, and opted for the Mobile Van /Doorstep Service. I decided to go with that since it was a general checkup and cleaning, so didn't really feel the urge to drive down to the service C. That said - for the 3rd service which has the engine oil - I will take it to the Next Workshop. It's a fun car to drive - high seating , smooth swift 1.2 engine.

I haven't pushed the car as yet, and don't intend for the next 1000 kms. I've currently done about 470km , and the MID fuel reading is an average of 13.2. Note - this is all with AC, and in city. Can't complain since the last automatic I owned gave an average in single digits - 9ish. Too noones surprise that was a Hyundai 1st gen i10 with a torque convertor.

That said - I'm slightly disappointed with initial fuel readings. I had expected it to be higher. I'm hoping this will go after the 1st oil change at 10,000kms. A good segue to the next point - for any others owners or others who can comment - isn't 10,000 a shade too high for the 1st oil change. I haven't confirmed from the manual or free service cards, but that's what I was told by the nexa guy who came for the home service.

Would really like to hear from others on fuel economy for the IGNIS AMT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by roushan84 (Post 4208645)
Only workshop they have is in Okhla.

That is not true, there is a TR Sawhney workshop at Mayapuri also. I take my S-Cross to their Mayapuri Workshop.

Their 'At Home' service van:
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_5053.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4208468)
People who have driven both, is the Ignis petrol AMT that much better than Tiago's? Specifically the engine refinement and lag in 1->2 shift?

The Tiago AMT has a lag which can be clearly felt. The Sport mode improves the situation a bit but still not very refined. The auto gear shift on the Ignis is possible the best available in market by "AMT" standards. I also had the Tiago on my shortlist and after multiple test drives decided on the Ignis. The 4 cylinder engine does make a huge difference (the lower weight may also be contributing to the good pull of the car)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudevarkey (Post 4208600)
Now I am confused about the variants, Delta or Zeta. Overall price difference (including accessories) would be Rs. 56255/-

If you can afford the Zeta go for it. The additional items Maruti is providing is worth the price being paid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudevarkey (Post 4208600)
In Kerala, they are saying no offers for IGNIS. Is there any offers for IGNIS in other markets? Or has anybody managed to get basic accessories atleast?

They will always say the same and its not easy but I did manage to get the Basic Accessories Free after visiting 3-4 Nexa showrooms and then pitting one against the other lol: I will be taking delivery of the car by this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Simmi, Vankito and Rishi.

Simmi - I will call them for at home service. Shall also share my experience with them. I guess I will get my oil change after 5000 kms. Reason for me asking advice on oil change was the run-in thread at Tbhp.

Here is the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Rishi - I was told by the lady from TR Swahney on phone that nearest workshop from Gurgaon was Okhla. Anyways, be it okhla or mayapuri, both are way too far me (as per NCR standards) lol:

Vankito - mine too is Zeta AMT. My average as per MID is 15.7 while with tankful method, it is around 14.5 kmpl. My colleague has Zeta manual and he gets around 18kmpl (MID figure). My driving is 70% in the city with 95% AC. I guess it is too early to judge its average but I would second you that if Ignis scores anything below 16 kmpl in long term, I will be disappointed. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by roushan84 (Post 4208857)
Simmi - I will call them for at home service. Shall also share my experience with them. I guess I will get my oil change after 5000 kms.

Thanks Roushan84. Well, I wouldn't really suggest you draw a line of 5k kms at this moment, while your car has barely done 1k.

From 1k to 2k kms: Occasionally start pushing your car a bit harder to a varied RPM range. Say for example 3000+ RPM. Use both automatic and manual modes. This will assist in both engine and transmission.

From 2k to 3k kms: Make the above more frequent.

Beyond 3k kms: Try taking your car for a drive in the hills if possible. This offers an excellent opportunity to also assist in running in of the braking system.

By this time, depending on how much the car is actually done, how have you faired it so far and how much time has elapsed since you bought your car that you should decide to go for the oil change(mineral of course). If already run-in well, a change of engine oil even at 4k kms will make sense. Further, IMO if it is coming to 6 months, irrespective of odo reading, the first oil must be changed for it has started to come end of its life. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Simmi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4208553)

There are 2 problems with the Baleno - seating and cost.
My folks didn't like the seating posture at all in Baleno. Otherwise it would have been a little easier to convince them. Same case with the Tiago, though still not as bad. Celerio was next, acceptable to them. I sense they are most comfortable with a tallboy seating (WagonR or i10). But I am not letting them settle for a Waggie or i10. :)

From the reviews it appears, the seating is higher in Ignis and hoping they will like it. The better engine+AMT combo is an added advantage compared to the likes of Celerio/Tiago. Let me get a feel of the car, will share my observations soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4208817)
The Tiago AMT has a lag which can be clearly felt. The Sport mode improves the situation a bit but still not very refined. The auto gear shift on the Ignis is possible the best available in market by "AMT" standards. I also had the Tiago on my shortlist and after multiple test drives decided on the Ignis. The 4 cylinder engine does make a huge difference (the lower weight may also be contributing to the good pull of the car)

So the super active machinery of Nexa got me a test drive today itself against my request of a weekend slot. They offered a longer test drive being a weekday which would not have been possible on a weekend.

The drive experience was good (I drove sedately for most of the distance) -

The bone of contention now is, which variant is VFM?

Ex-Delhi, the difference between Delta and Zeta is about 55k. But on-road difference is more like 80k+. Mainly due to the ex-showroom price of both falling on either side of 6 lakhs - which increases the road tax amount by almost 60% for Zeta.

Delta AMT
Ex-showroom 5.74
Insurance 20k
Reg+MCD parking 28k
Net On-road ~6.2

Zeta AMT
Ex-showroom 6.3
Insurance 22k
Reg+MCD parking 45k
Net On-road ~7

The extra features Zeta offers over Delta -
I am not too keen on other items, (they are good to have, but nothing I can't live without) but, might need to get a reverse camera or sensor fitted, IF, I pick the Delta. Decisions Decisions! :)

EDIT: Forgot to add, car is available off the shelf if you want White or Blue. For other colors, ~2-4 weeks wait times. Isn't it selling as well as MUL hoped it would? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4209083)
=====
EDIT: Forgot to add, car is available off the shelf if you want White or Blue. For other colors, ~2-4 weeks wait times. Isn't it selling as well as MUL hoped it would? :)

As called out already I decided on the Delta. In my case, I had already jumped a segment or two as I had started with Kwid AMT on my mind and then skipped to Celerio AMT followed by Tiago AMT and finally landed on the Ignis lol: Also, this being a second car, was not keen on making the additional investment for frills of the Zeta given that all Safety Features are already included in the Delta. I think you missed Fog Lamps in your listing of Delta vs Zeta. Also some chrome finishing on grille and cladding etc. type of cosmetic stuff comes with Zeta and not with Delta.

I have requested for addition of the Fog Lamps, Body Cover, Rear Speakers and Door Visors at NEXA itself and plan to add Reverse Camera from outside NEXA (I dont care about warranty blah blah.. stupid:)

Maybe elements such as Push Button Start etc are features that your folks may enjoy...For the features they are providing, the Zeta appears priced alright relative to the Delta. Also, in my case also the Blue and White AMTs were available readily, I chose the Uptown Red and had to wait exactly a month.

Quote:

Isn't it selling as well as MUL hoped it would? :)

It's selling well, can be called decent at best. But looking at other Maruti Number's, this one certainly cannot be called a Good Seller by Maruti Standards. I think, the design is one feature that hasn't appealed to buyers along with high sticker price. If Ignis was proportionate like Swift or even Ritz, it would have done well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4209145)
As called out already I decided on the Delta.......For the features they are providing, the Zeta appears priced alright relative to the Delta. Also, in my case also the Blue and White AMTs were available readily, I chose the Uptown Red and had to wait exactly a month.

Well said, the AMT version makes sense only in Delta Spec. Instead of Zeta, Maruti could have given Alpha AMT as a fully loaded Spec & Delta as Mid Spec with all essentials. Just like in my case, the lack of AMT in Alpha made me to look at Manual Alpha instead. Overall, the practical part is good in Ignis but Aesthetics wise, na I like Baleno more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarguyNish (Post 4209183)
It's selling well, can be called decent at best. But looking at other Maruti Number's, this one certainly cannot be called a Good Seller by Maruti Standards. I think, the design is one feature that hasn't appealed to buyers along with high sticker price. If Ignis was proportionate like Swift or even Ritz, it would have done well.

It is the high sticker price. If the pricing of Ignis is reduced by 50K to 75K, then it may eat big time into Celerio Sales. Then Maruti would have an inverted or exchanged sales number between Celerio and Ignis. The Ignis may eat some more of the Tiago Sales also in that reduced price scenario...But then, they are happy selling it as a Premium NEXA offering.

For people in hyderabad, there is a consumer offer of 10k & additional corporate discount on the Ignis. Except for Sigma, most other Manual Transmission variant-color combinations are readily available without waiting. The status is the same across multiple NEXA dealers.

Must admit that I had a smile on the face after test driving the 1.2 petrol manual. The car is really peppy for city driving. The body roll is well controlled even at speeds around 70-80kmph. Steering was light but had the subtle feedback that is needed for no-nervous handling.
The diesel however, lacks the punch when compared to the petrol, whereas the ride quality in the diesel was even better due to the additional weight. Steering was a notch heavier in comparison to the petrol.

Took a test drive of the Baleno petrol as well. The ride was noticeably harsher. Despite the same engine, due to the additional weight, the car felt a little less peppier.
For 1-2 person daily office commute, or as a secondary car for office commutes the Ignis will surely not disappoint.

Ive now done 650km on the odo. My feedback so far:
- steering is disconnected. After my Figo (old) TDCI - this feels "weird". But can't complain since this was bought for my wife, and she'd be fine with this.
- Suspension is very good . Absorbs bumps very well - eats up cobbled and broken patches with ease.
-Visibility is excellent with the high driving view.
-FE still isn't impressive but will comment more once Ive done my first oil change at 5000km. Right now Im hovering around 11.

Quote:

So the super active machinery of Nexa got me a test drive today itself against my request of a weekend slot. They offered a longer test drive being a weekday which would not have been possible on a weekend.

The drive experience was good (I drove sedately for most of the distance) -
  • Engine is super silent. And refined.
  • Gear shifts are smooth, but, can be noticed/felt if you are pushing the car or looking for them.
  • Cabin insulation is okayish, not too great.
  • The instant FE shown on MID was 12kmpl. Car had run for ~2000kms.
  • Plastics are certainly not premium
  • The whole A/C unit with the ugly slider and rotary knobs feels so out of place in this cabin.
  • The audio unit had decent sound. Nothing too great though.
  • Upright seating - as mentioned earlier, it will be for my folks and this is of great importance to them.
  • The cabin doesn't feel too airy, but, for 2 people that will travel most of the time, seems ok.

Ex-Delhi, the difference between Delta and Zeta is about 55k. But on-road difference is more like 80k+. Mainly due to the ex-showroom price of both falling on either side of 6 lakhs - which increases the road tax amount by almost 60% for Zeta.

Delta AMT
Ex-showroom 5.74
Insurance 20k
Reg+MCD parking 28k
Net On-road ~6.2

Zeta AMT
Ex-showroom 6.3
Insurance 22k
Reg+MCD parking 45k
Net On-road ~7

The extra features Zeta offers over Delta -
  • Parking sensors
  • 4 extra speakers
  • Push button start
  • Alloys
  • Rear defogger, wipe
  • Electric folding ORVM
I am not too keen on other items, (they are good to have, but nothing I can't live without) but, might need to get a reverse camera or sensor fitted, IF, I pick the Delta. Decisions Decisions! :)

Would say the Delta. Has 2 speakers - can always upgrade to additional door speakers Even after adding 2 additional HERTZ speakers, the sound quality is sub-average.

Instead of alloys, I replaced them with black wheel caps from the Nex showroom. I used the black baleno wheel covers, and they were a perfect fit. Original black alloys for the Ignis are 30,000 ~ for a set of 4.FIgured spending Rs 1900 on wheel covers works for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vankito (Post 4210722)
Instead of alloys, I replaced them with black wheel caps from the Nex showroom. I used the black baleno wheel covers, and they were a perfect fit. Original black alloys for the Ignis are 30,000 ~ for a set of 4.FIgured spending Rs 1900 on wheel covers works for me.

Could you post some photos of your car? Would love to see how the Black wheel covers look with the Ignis. As expected, cant find this combination elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agambhandari (Post 4210741)
Could you post some photos of your car? Would love to see how the Black wheel covers look with the Ignis. As expected, cant find this combination elsewhere.

Here you go. This was taken a few days - maybe 3-4 days later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vankito (Post 4210746)
Here you go. This was taken a few days - maybe 3-4 days later.

This looks fantastic, really makes you question the need for the black Alloys on the higher variants. Best 2k accessory for the Ignis

Quote:

Originally Posted by agambhandari (Post 4210748)
This looks fantastic, really makes you question the need for the black Alloys on the higher variants. Best 2k accessory for the Ignis

I got the reverse camera - (clip on to the rear view) for about 6ish, and then got a set of speakers. Other than that - the usual - UNderbody and body sealant from 3M, and front sun film from Lumar.

Love the car - but the low FE is accelerating my decision to buy another set of wheels.