Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 15:38   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

With the Celerio, Baleno & now even WagonR getting hill hold on the AMT transmissions, Ignis is the only odd man out without hill hold (S presso is from a full segment lower). Does Maruti have any plans to introduce hill hold in Ignis AMT as well?
Old 6th March 2022, 11:40   #722
BHPian

Ignis with New Baleno’s 15 inch alloys which are being offerd as OEM accessory. Looks much better than the black ones on Ignis Zeta-Alpha.

Source:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-61aa0b759405428c83a1ab37d6801466.png  

hydraulicsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:56   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Ignis with New Baleno’s 15 inch alloys
Hope the dealer knows what they are doing. Have seen another YouTube video where the dealer used Swift alloys. Though it should be fine in most cases, the offset, rim width and centre bore should ideally match with the Ignis stock rims. If there is a slight difference in offset or if Baleno rim is half an inch wider (Ignis comes with 5J, Baleno's probably 5.5J), shouldn't be an issue. But a difference in centre bore is definitely a red flag. Dealers putting MGA accessories on their whim should be taken with a pinch of salt for long-term safety.
driver52001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 12:58   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
If there is a slight difference in offset or if Baleno rim is half an inch wider (Ignis comes with 5J, Baleno's probably 5.5J), shouldn't be an issue. But a difference in centre bore is definitely a red flag. Dealers putting MGA accessories on their whim should be taken with a pinch of salt for long-term safety.
Baleno
5.5 J x 15
Offset ET 38
PCD 100x 4
Center Bore 54.1 mm

Ignis
5J x 15
Offset ET 40
PCD 100x4
Center Bore 54.1 mm

Differences are good to go I believe.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 13:05   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Ignis with New Baleno’s 15 inch alloys which are being offerd as OEM accessory. Looks much better than the black ones on Ignis Zeta-Alpha.
I personally feel the orginal all black rims to be more sexy, sporty and suiting the car's character. This one dilutes the quirkiness of the car. This car HAS to be a love it or hate it in design which I really appreciate and this makes it looks like it loses some character.

OT: I really used to hate the looks of the car at the launch but after the facelift I ended up buying it. The facelift version grabs attention whenever you go somewhere.
RavSam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 05:10   #726
Senior - BHPian

I have a question for the Ignis AMT owners- I recently test drove an Ignis AMT. This was a 20000Km +, demo Alpha with bad interiors (not surprised anymore) but a smooth engine.
While I was able to go through the upshifts by backing off the accelerator as suggested, it was not a very intuitive experience. Sometimes I got some odd downshift jerks, which I felt it was not necessary, for example, at one point, I was at about 60+ and slowly increasing, but the AMT decided I needed more power, and so downshifted to 4th and the jerk was pronounced. How easy or difficult is this to live with on a regular basis ? I am actively looking at a second small hatchback (better-than-2 wheeler) option.
Old 19th March 2022, 19:39   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I have a question for the Ignis AMT owners- I recently test drove an Ignis AMT. This was a 20000Km +, demo Alpha with bad interiors (not surprised anymore) but a smooth engine.
While I was able to go through the upshifts by backing off the accelerator as suggested, it was not a very intuitive experience. Sometimes I got some odd downshift jerks, which I felt it was not necessary, for example, at one point, I was at about 60+ and slowly increasing, but the AMT decided I needed more power, and so downshifted to 4th and the jerk was pronounced. How easy or difficult is this to live with on a regular basis ? I am actively looking at a second small hatchback (better-than-2 wheeler) option.
I bought the Ignis Alpha AMT Petrol a few years ago as a second car, my other car is a Civic. I took a couple of test drives and even though the car had jerks etc etc, I thought I could live with it for city drives.

Fast forward about a year into my ownership and I was completely irritated with the AMT and just couldn’t live with it. Sold it off at a considerable loss. I will never, ever buy any car with an AMT transmission.

My point is, if you must buy the AMT, take proper long and multiple test drives with the Ignis before spending your money to ensure you will be able to live with it. Short couple of drives won’t do.

There will be many who will tell you, it’s ok, not that bad. Drive in a certain way etc, etc but remember it’s you who will have to live with it. Not sure, but if I recall correctly you own a BMW which will make living with the irritating, stupid AMT even more difficult to endure.

Choose wisely and well

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th March 2022 at 19:48.
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 04:51   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

My point is, if you must buy the AMT, take proper long and multiple test drives with the Ignis before spending your money to ensure you will be able to live with it. Short couple of drives won’t do.

Not sure, but if I recall correctly you own a BMW which will make living with the irritating, stupid AMT even more difficult to endure.

Choose wisely and well

Cheers
I wish I had a Beemer! My current ride is a diesel Creta,whose engine+AT transmission is probably the best one south of 25 lac. Interestingly, I also drove an AMT SPresso, and frankly, the jerks were hardly noticeable as compared to the Ignis.It felt more like the older 3 speed/4 speed AT Japanese cars from the 80s. Which surprised me even more considering the Ignis power train is known to be more sorted out. Both the Marutis also oddly felt a bit more softly sprung than my Creta, which feels a bit hard and heavy on uneven roads.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 10:24   #729
BHPian

The AMT TCU learns where to upshift and downshift based on your driving pattern in the first few hundred Km. And subsequently shifts gears according to your accelerator input. So a test drive car which is driven by 100's of drivers for 20000km may not give you the actual experience. I'd suggest finding a lesser driven test car or a friend or bhpian's car for the actual experience. Else try a Santro, I heard Hyundai's AMT being electronically actuated gives better driving experience.
Old 20th March 2022, 10:34   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Sakleshpur in Ignis.
Nice little travelogue - thanks for sharing. Notify the mods to shift this to the Travelogue section.
Since you mentioned Hassan, can you provide some update on road condition between Sakleshpur and Hassan?

Quote:
How easy or difficult is this to live with on a regular basis ? I am actively looking at a second small hatchback (better-than-2 wheeler) option.
It is all in the mind. I have had the Ignis since June 2017, the shifts are not very predictable even now but I have got used to it. And for the use case that you have quoted - its a very good choice. For Metro city traffic its a blessing really. Also when you do take the car out on the highway, its well planted at speeds of 120 kph as well when compared with cars in the same segment.

Quote:
Both the Marutis also oddly felt a bit more softly sprung than my Creta, which feels a bit hard and heavy on uneven roads.
Ignis and softly sprung is a surprise. Maybe the suspension had gone bad. The Ignis has a stiffer suspension setup as compared to most Hyundai cars.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 10:57   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I personally feel the orginal all black rims to be more sexy, sporty and suiting the car's character. This one dilutes the quirkiness of the car. This car HAS to be a love it or hate it in design which I really appreciate and this makes it looks like it loses some character.

OT: I really used to hate the looks of the car at the launch but after the facelift I ended up buying it. The facelift version grabs attention whenever you go somewhere.

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_7185.jpg

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_7223.jpg

My words exactly

The black alloys look fab and I just a month back have bought the white Alpha variant MT and the black alloys on the white car looks absolutely marvelous IMO

Also change of stock rims by dealers is I think
ultimatechamp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 12:55   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish I had a Beemer! My current ride is a diesel Creta,whose engine+AT transmission is probably the best one south of 25 lac.
My bad regarding the BMW, but, wish your wish comes true

Since you have the Creta and are used to a good automatic transmission, ensure you drive any AMT you want to buy properly and multiple times to avoid any mistake or heartache.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 00:39   #733
BHPian

My new Ignis Alpha MT in White with Team-BHP stickers
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_7242.jpg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_7244.jpg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_7245.jpg  

ultimatechamp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:44   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Nice little travelogue - thanks for sharing. Notify the mods to shift this to the Travelogue section.
Thank you, sure I'll notify the mods.

Quote:
Since you mentioned Hassan, can you provide some update on road condition between Sakleshpur and Hassan?
The roads between Hassan and Sakleshpur are very good for 99% of the time. Only at very few places roads are merged into one because of some ongoing work. I was able to keep up a safe and steady 90-100 kmph for most part of the road.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 10:10   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The AMT TCU learns where to upshift and downshift based on your driving pattern in the first few hundred Km. And subsequently shifts gears according to your accelerator input. So a test drive car which is driven by 100's of drivers for 20000km may not give you the actual experience. I'd suggest finding a lesser driven test car or a friend or bhpian's car for the actual experience. Else try a Santro, I heard Hyundai's AMT being electronically actuated gives better driving experience.
I'm contemplating getting a used ignis amt as a second car for city usage. So, is it possible to reset the amt tcu's learnings?
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks