Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2017, 17:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Ritz was the cheapest car to sport 1.2 K series and 1.3 DDiS engines from Maruti.IGNIS though meant to be a replacement for Ritz, only certain variants are cheaper.

One of my colleague bought a Petrol Zeta AMT for 7.80 on road Pune.
Base Sigma Petrol is 5.40 on road Pune, which has all black interiors and for another 20k can also add those good looking alloys.

IMO Sigma IGNIS is the only VFM variant, all other variants are overpriced.
There is no SIGMA Diesel variant on offer in IGNIS.

If someone wants to buy a diesel AMT, ZEST is a much much better option.
All variants except base should have had that touchscreen as standard.

I feel IGNIS may not be a blockbuster like Baleno.

Last edited by silverado : 17th April 2017 at 17:40.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 18:42   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
Maruti should really consider releasing an "RS" variant, with the turbo-petrol.

But they should not charge anymore. We could also see a repeat of "baleno & s-cross repricing" with the ignis.
This segment does not deserve the Turbo Charger. It is not safe to tune small cars to such a high speed run (balance issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Ritz was the cheapest car to sport 1.2 K series and 1.3 DDiS engines from Maruti.IGNIS though meant to be a replacement for Ritz, only certain variants are cheaper.
Actually this is the problem with in between segments. It is difficult for people to decide if the go for higher variant of these in between cars (IGNIS, i10 grand, TATA bolt/ tigor), it touches the basic/ second variant of B+ segment.

Quote:
IMO Sigma IGNIS is the only VFM variant, all other variants are overpriced.
A slight differ here. IMPO it is Delta variant is VFM for both Baleno & IGNIS. Sigma is too basic.

Quote:
Higher seating position may attract lady drivers for city use.

Last edited by IN-RJ : 17th April 2017 at 18:44.
Old 17th April 2017, 20:19   #48

Appreciable review and as usual Team BHP official reviews are more detailed and elaborate than any other reviews. A big thank you to all those who contributed to this review. I was eagerly awaiting for this and wanted badly before taking delivery of our car.

By the way I took delivery of Ignis 1.2 Zeta MT (glistening grey) almost two weeks back and yes, I must admit that the car is a fun to drive machine and the compact dimensions really aid in effortless city commute. Nexa dealership experience was nothing premium, though hassle free. I managed to pull out a delivery of the car well in advance, thanks to a friend who works for Maruti in the Marketing team. Please check the documents correctly as they had stapled someone else's insurance document in my delivery kit. Thanks to Team BHP check list I was able to spot it while taking the delivery.

Opted side cladding, floor mats, leather steering wheel cover, silicone key cover, seat cover (only PU covers available though I wanted fabric ones), under body coating, Teflon coating & extended warranty as accessories from the dealer. The floor mats sold are good for nothing for the back row and does not even come with a cover for the centre hump. I am planning to visit 3M for a nomad mat very soon. I wanted to install mud flaps; but they said Zeta variant and above can't accommodate one because of the plastic cladding on the side and wheel arches.

It took a while getting used to the key-less lock/ unlock system, but I think it is a useful feature and keys can always be kept in the pocket. As mentioned in the review I also felt the EPS to be absolutely lifeless ans ‘oh-boy’ Maruti should seriously think about providing some level of engine protection/ cover underneath. I liked the boot space and the all necessary and useful boot light. The boot light and its switch feels very fragile and could get damaged with some heavy and bulky hard luggage.

The car has just covered 500 odd kilometers and I can hear some rattling noise from the front driver side door. This is unacceptable and takes the fun away from the driving. I hope they will identify and fix the same during the first service/ inspection. The non touch screen infotainment system feels great and robust. Connects to devices over Bluetooth effortlessly. The steering mounted switches are also handy and comes naturally to the fingers while using. 32 L fuel tank is a pain in an otherwise well packaged car. I also miss the temperature gauge in the MID which sadly is missing in the Zeta variant. The lock unlock is a loud affair and feels like aftermarket fitted system which reminds me of my previously owned Esteem for which I had installed a central locking with similiar jerk and sound effect. Road & tyre noise takes away the fun nature of the "super quite petrol mill" and one does not need to peep out to feel the road condition. Gear lever took a while to acclimate from the 'lorry style' Innova lever to this remarkably tiny lever and even smaller throw. Lack of a proper space for the tool kit compensates for a sub woofer in the boot and punches on all speed breakers and potholes with a loud bass. Need to find a way to tie/ tuck it properly. Even the hazard triangle made large rattling noises and I have taken it out and kept it at home. Need to buy a better one.

But considering what we will use (city runs, grocery grabber, occasional official commute) this car fits to that bill perfectly well. I love the ground clearance and the frequently found 'solidified lava eruptions' (tall speed humps) in Bangalore will find it difficult to scrape the underbelly of the Ignis. We have lived and gotten used to these humps for quite a while and till date I am happy to accept that Ignis was able to clear all of those without that "Khrrrrrrrr" scrapping sound.

All in all a fairly decent car, though I personally felt the car to be marginally over priced.
sknglobal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 23:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I was looking to upgrade my wife's i20 with the Ignis considering it's relatively cute and small - something that would be perfect for the ever-increasing Ahmedabad traffic!
Sir please don't do that! It will be a downgrade. The product will make you miss i20 much more, which is much more premium than this newbie nexa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Brilliant review, which amply highlights that, the WagonR stays the better tall boy (for city runs) and with out a doubt, is much more value for money.
Wagon R is a more spacious and VFM car. Has AMT too.

Quote:

Ritz was the cheapest car to sport 1.2 K series and 1.3 DDiS engines from Maruti. IGNIS though meant to be a replacement for Ritz, only certain variants are cheaper.
Spot on. This was meant to be a Ritz replacement. However, it is smaller and expensive.
Quote:
I also think so but this carries a MS badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknglobal View Post
The car has just covered 500 odd kilometers and I can hear some rattling noise from the front driver side door. This is unacceptable and takes the fun away from the driving.
First of all congrats for your new car. Please do share your review. I had predicted that this car will gather rattles and you confirmed it. Bangalore roads require solid build quality to avoid rattles.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 08:11   #50
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki did a great job with the Ignis. I love the funky front end looks and the Interiors. But the only thing that really swings my opinion around for the car is its rear end.

I mean it looks awful to me. The sharp cuts and creases don't match the more rounded front end.
Don't really know what happened there.

Also what were the boffins at Maruti Suzuki thinking of when they priced the Ignis. Not a VFM product at all. The light build of the car doesn't help to justify the price either.
thatfastdude19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 09:39   #51
BHPian

Excellent review as always. I personally feel, this car looks like it has been designed by 1st year industrial design students.
IMHO Bolt or older Grand i10 looks far more classier. No offence please!
Old 18th April 2017, 11:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
But the only thing that really swings my opinion around for the car is its rear end.
I mean it looks awful to me.
I second this. I really did like the front end look of the ignis on the alpha trim. But the rear really put me off. It's just plain right ugly. (No offence to any buyers. Strictly my personal opinion )

Got a chance to check one out the other day and it does look much smaller than what I expected it to be. Someone has to be bonkers to pick the diesel top end at 9.5 OTR when u can get the baleno, i20, jazz mid trims. Even the Figo S will be a whole lakh cheaper.

Just think of this. U get a scross sigma variant which is a whole 2 segments higher at the price of an alpha DDIS Ignis.
vamsi2390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 12:33   #53
BHPian

I've quite liked the Ignis. The quirky exterior and trying interior, and customisation options are all good. But when inside, it doesn't feel like I'm driving a fresh car. It appears to be something I should really like, and since I am considering getting a smaller car for local run-abouts this should've made me feel like this was it. Nope.

Somehow the message isn't clear. I've never really liked the Baleno for the chubby car it is, but aside from exterior styling I don't see a single reason to consider the Ignis over the Baleno, and I haven't even stepped out of the same showroom!
The thing is though, styling doesn't exist in a vacuum. It should enhance the appeal of the car, consistent with what the car wants to offer. The Ignis somehow reminds me of the old Maruti cars, cars before the Swift happened. It is an inferior product compared to similarly priced already existing products from Maruti/Nexa itself.

Edit: And also, Here maps? Really? Could't anyone else bid lower?

Last edited by ach1lles : 18th April 2017 at 12:39. Reason: Here Maps
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 13:45   #54
BHPian

IMO, This is the ugliest car ever by Maruti.
Why would I buy Ignis?
New drivetrain? No
Great Interiors? Definitely not!
Fun to drive? No
Then? It's funky! Oh sure, then Ritz was funkier, and so is every ugly/disproportionate car.

Let's move to funky part now:
1. Infotainment system - Designers have failed to integrate the Tablet based system into dashboard. Anything, no matter you want to call it funky/classy/ageless and what not, must show consistency in its form, and should look in sync with the surroundings. That defines one of the key aspects of being well engineered.
2. Rear - As RavenAvi has rightly mentioned, what is there with rear bumper? Is it really going to solve any purpose? Thick C pillar is a hindrance anyways, and then sudden swell in rear bumper will cause damage in tight maneuvers, specially for new drivers.
3. Door pads - in sheer lack of space, Maruti could not carve out a proper bottle holder!

My verdict - Ignis is only half-way there for being called funky, and is well within the leagues of dozens of "special edition" Marutis. Yes, if sticker jobs can define a Special Edition, then Ignis is funky for sure!
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 14:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Just look at the boot lid. In case of a hit, it will take the maximum impact because of the non existent bumper. Take my word, no amount of skill will embolden a tinkerer-painter to undertake its repair.

The white portion of the dash and the door are clearly dust/scratch magnets, and since the Millennials(at least some of them) are likely to have small kids, it is a major cause of concern.

It would be interesting to see what happens to the scooped out portion when seat covers are installed on them.

All said and done, I think this car should not sell well but being a Maruti, I believe it will.

Since I have been driving it for almost 3 months now , I can help answer couple of questions

a) I got hit by a Honda civic from behind with a loud thud & for a moment I thought bumper was gone however when I got down & checked I couldn't even find a scratch, there was no trace of any impact & the black strip at the back had absorbed all the impact with no damage whatsoever. I guess most of the hits will be taken by the black cladding at the back, its there for this exact purpose & does the job well.

b) Its been 3 months & have driven in dusty conditions as well, still the white portion feels as good as new. It doesn't attract dust & black spots & even if it manages to catch any spot then its super easy to clean. All it takes is a little spray of Colin & one just one swipe of a microfiber cloth & it start gleaming again ( its not that you have to rub it over and over again). Pretty easy to clean ( once in 6 months may be not at all a big deal for me) & the black white combination does look batter than the black & beige.

c) Leg room remains generous even after seat covers, hardly no impact & all. Scooped out seats are there in almost every car these days its a smart thinking. Where you compromise in Ignis is underthigh support & shoulder room ( back seats). Front seats are extremely spacious & comfortable

d) So far yes its selling, may be not like a hot cake but very much as per MSIL's expectations 5k per month is not bad, I personally don't want it become as common as swift ( that does help maintain little bit of exclusivity knowing that every second car on the road is not Ignis) Even after 3 months people still turn around & give it a second look & ask me about it.

As they say to each his own, for me I am just loving it for the way it drives, looks and the ground clearance. Its a global product & has been reasonably appreciated in most of the countries where its launched.

Last edited by rahul412 : 18th April 2017 at 14:54.
rahul412 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 15:16   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
New drivetrain? No
Great Interiors? Definitely not!
Fun to drive? No
Then? It's funky! Oh sure
Consider its main rival from its competing manufacturers: Grand i10

Drivetrain? Nothing exciting there.
Interiors? Plain vanilla one. Not funky at all.
Fun to drive? Nowhere near Ignis.
Is it funky-looking from outside? Not at all!

Now, is it a head-turner compared to Ignis? No
Does it look different in the ocean of cars? No

A family man with the age of 50 may select i10, while younger ones may select Ignis. Just my opinion.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 15:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Consider its main rival from its competing manufacturers: Grand i10

Drivetrain? Nothing exciting there.
Interiors? Plain vanilla one. Not funky at all.
Fun to drive? Nowhere near Ignis.
Is it funky-looking from outside? Not at all!

Now, is it a head-turner compared to Ignis? No
Does it look different in the ocean of cars? No

A family man with the age of 50 may select i10, while younger ones may select Ignis. Just my opinion.
Funky interior design may be cool to some buyers. But rattly, Cheap & scratchy plastics in the name of funk is NOT at all cool.

Secondly, not everyone needs a funky looking car.

Thirdly, you don't necessarily need funky looks to make a car head turning.

Is a well polished Swift/Polo with nice alloys head turning? YES.
Is it funky? Hell, NO.

Fourth, I don't necessarily agree that Ignis is a proper fun to drive car. FTD in what way? The steering, ride & handling pale when compared to it's own cousins.

Lastly, I personally find this funky design to be borderline ugly & weird. (Kindly plead no offence to anyone)
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:34   #58
BANNED

As I mentioned earlier, Ignis is clearly a segment below Swift, but priced along with it. That feeling is clearly written all over the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Funky interior design may be cool to some buyers. But rattly, Cheap & scratchy plastics in the name of funk is NOT at all cool.
"Funky"ness and plastic quality are 2 different things. A funky one can be of good quality too. The prejudice that Ignis will rattle itself undermines the mood.

Quote:
Secondly, not everyone needs a funky looking car.
Even I didn't say that. Higher up in the age ladder, people tend to go with conventional looks. That's why I gave the example of the age group which may opt for i10 / Ignis.

Quote:
Thirdly, you don't necessarily need funky looks to make a car head turning.

Is a well polished Swift/Polo with nice alloys head turning? YES.
Is it funky? Hell, NO.
Quote:
Lastly, I personally find this funky design to be borderline ugly & weird.
The meaning of word "funky" in my understanding is "Modern and stylish in an unconventional or striking way". In that case, Swift is a funky car. Polo? No.

Quote:
Fourth, I don't necessarily agree that Ignis is a proper fun to drive car. FTD in what way? The steering, ride & handling pale when compared to it's own cousins.
Yes. But when comparing with i10, and considering the chuck-ability of Ignis, you can sense what I mean.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th April 2017 at 16:52.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:42   #59
BHPian

Good impressive review of an unimpressive car.I don't see anything premium about the Ignis. Shocking to see the HVAC unit of non-Alpha variants. There is a lot of Maruti on this car than the Nexa. Only the pricing is Nexa about this car, everything else is Maruti about this car.

Why would we pay Nexa price for a Maruti car?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th April 2017 at 07:07. Reason: It's Maruti and not Maruthi. Thanks
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:43   #60
BHPian

In case, any interested persons are looking for variant wise comparison of Ignis, the same has been posted at the following post in the pre-review thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4121038
mrbaddy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed