Team-BHP - Ford Figo Sports Edition : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford Figo Sports Edition : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/186894-ford-figo-sports-edition-official-review-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetti (Post 4208790)
Wow! Your car looks neat without the S stickers on the rear bumper. I dig the subtle black ORVMs. Going very well with the black grille.

Have you removed the stickers from the sides as well? Please post a side view pic if you have :)

Thank you!
The rear stickers were absolutely tasteless and I removed it the day I got the car. The side ones are still there, for the time being.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan (Post 4208732)
Attachment 1644759
I have completed 1000kms.
The only downers I have are felt are

Congrats! Which dealer? Kairali or Harry's ?
Would like to meet; PM if possible.

Congrats Tharian!

Rear seat space of Aspire and Figo is the same? I was told it was and that the Figo's rear seat is more upright than Aspire's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 4211680)
Congrats! Which dealer? Kairali or Harry's ?
Would like to meet; PM if possible.

I got the car from Harry Ford.
As I drive more I am getting more and more accustomed to the dynamics of the car. Finding a correct driving position has been a difficult task for me until now.

Jkdas sir , PMed u my number

Quote:

Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan (Post 4211828)
As I drive more I am getting more and more accustomed to the dynamics of the car. Finding a correct driving position has been a difficult task for me until now...

Good to know you are getting accustomed to the dynamics of the car. Any feedback from the passengers on the comfort part in the front passenger seat/rear seats. Is it too harsh on them? Asking as our earlier car the Fiesta Classic had a stiffer suspension set up compared to the New Figo that I own since March'17. Family feels that the ride is plush in the Figo compared to the Classic. I always felt the Classic was better from a driver seat perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 4211874)
Any feedback from the passengers on the comfort part in the front passenger seat/rear seats. Is it too harsh on them?

It is stiffer when I compare it with the swift. Every uneven surface are felt on the cabin and driving on such roads are a pain. Plus I am very careful about the massive pothole on the road because the thud sound (as if underbody has taken a hit) that figo makes while I encounter potholes at greater speeds(say 40kmph) makes my heart miss a beat.
Regarding the seats, nobody has complaints about them and they are in par with the swift ; if not better. The under thigh support on the rear seats are better in the figo than in the swift.

I have a query regarding the working of the auto AC. Every time I switch on the Auto mode, the re-circulation mode is deactivated. After pressing on the auto I have to manually turn the re-circulation mode on. Is it right what I am doing ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan (Post 4211979)
I have a query regarding the working of the auto AC. Every time I switch on the Auto mode, the re-circulation mode is deactivated. After pressing on the auto I have to manually turn the re-circulation mode on. Is it right what I am doing ?

I have tried this in mine and it does the same. I too turn on the re-circulation mode manually. I guess it is designed that way. Will need to check in the manual if it is the right way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan (Post 4211979)

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 4212029)
I have tried this in mine and it does the same. I too turn on the re-circulation mode manually. I guess it is designed that way. Will need to check in the manual if it is the right way.

Everytime you switch on the AC using the "Auto" button or press the Auto button, it resets the Air Circulation mode to Fresh Air(from the outside) and it is designed to work that way.

The way to avoid this is to use the "Power" button to switch on the A/C, instead of the "Auto" button. This way if you set the Air Circulation mode to "Recirculated", it will remember it when you switch off the AC. Next time when you power on the AC using the Power button, the Air Circulation mode will be "Recirculated".
Ford Figo Sports Edition : Official Review-ac.jpg

Congratulations VishnuNarayan,
Your car is looking splendid and looks like you are having fun with it :)

I have a question on the black roof - is it painted black or is it a vinyl treatment with body color underneath? Generally modern car manufacturing processes are such that the entire car gets painted in one go. I'm curious as to what Ford has done here. I like everything else but I don't prefer black roofs hence the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan (Post 4208732)
Attachment 1644759
I have completed 1000kms.

Spent some time with the Figo Sports. Must say, it's an incredibly likeable hatchback.

Looks damn classy in person (white with black touches). The clean styling appeals to my tastes. Am neutral on the interiors - nothing to wow you, nothing to complain. Liked the seating, ergonomics & adequate (rear) legroom.

Beautiful 1.5L engine. Driveable as well as fast...one that appeals to the head & heart, both. Ride is slightly firmer than the regular car, but it's still very compliant & comfortable for daily use.

Other than the poorly tuned EPS & missing old-Figo-like sturdiness, it was hard to find fault with the car. Of course, the petrol is lame.

Had a taste of diesel power over the weekend on a 1200 km trip.

The journey was to Velankanni via Salem and Trichy. Visited few places along the coast around Nagapattinam and Puducherry and headed back via beautiful State Highways via Kumbakonnam and Vrindachalam. Overall efficiency was 17 kmpl.

After a long time, I was able to cruise comfortably at triple digit speeds and if needed, had power on tap. The only annoyance was the tyre noise on rough patches and the diesel thrum post 2500 rpm.
Luckily TN roads are beautiful and well paved as always and I had the opportunity to drive on dual carriageways, winding State highways, coastal roads and arrow straight old school NH's.
The only part I missed was a ghat road but a stretch of winding roads along paddy fields made up for it.

Coming to the driving experience.
This is my first diesel and after a month and 500 kms , I was yet to become one with the car. Something like the horse and its rider in the movie, Avatar.
So I thought this trip should do it. One advantage straight off is that long distance driving is not tiring mainly due to the distance being covered faster. I was able to overtake vehicles without having to shift gears or at the most down a gear to 4th and floor the pedal.
I pushed the car a few times on straight roads as well as on some turns. On wide turns, it is fine except the car is a bit jumpy and the body leans a bit more than I would want it to. On narrower roads, I didn't push it as much since they were single carriage roads, but it felt good and held on to the line I wanted , apart from the lean.
There was an instance when I was doing good speeds and had to squeeze between a slow moving vehicle on the left and an approaching TN State bus on a mission, and the car was all over the place when slowing down , it was mainly the steering and the not so stiff springs, I felt.

A better tyre is surely needed. Not that the grip is low, but because of the tyre noise and squeal during hard braking. The ABS I felt is too sensitive as I experienced couple of times when hard braking over a joint or dip on the road. But the braking is good and helped during those times when a silly goat decided to stand and stare. Plenty of them on TN roads.

The car has clocked 1600 kms in just over a month now with few more trips planned in the coming months. The excessive smoking seems to have reduced after I topped up with Essar diesel which I am planning to continue with to see how good it it is.
There was an 'unusual to me' noise whenever I de-accelerated and depressed the clutch when shifting, like excess fuel being burnt and the clatter due to that. It isn't loud , but is audible in the cabin. It is not there when just de-accelerating and not depressing the clutch . I guess it is something to do with the clutch switch to increase the revs.
I wonder how people get 20-25 kmpl on a diesel.:confused:

Overall, a good start and a good trip. Some pictures of some less known surreal places in TN.

Great review! Good to know Ford listening to the laments of its customers and offering a Sports Edition with tangible changes. This will take the competition right to the Polo GT TDI. Offering a Sports Edition in 1.2 petrol but not in 1.5 Petrol seems so ironic. May be since, takers for 1.5 Petrol is already low.

Punto Abarth, Polo GT TDI, GT TSI, Baleno RS, now this the Figo Sports 1.5 TDCI. Guess the warm-hatch segment in India is starting to wake up and giving users a fair bit of choice!

I wish the next segment wakes up now. Polo GTI, Golf GTI, Focus RS, Abarth Essesse, Civic Type R. Atleast in another 5 years

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4223989)
I wonder how people get 20-25 kmpl on a diesel.

Awesome short write up there mate! Cool pics too..!

In my Figo, I have upped the tyre size to the same one as on the Sports Edition. The highest i have managed so far is 22kmpl as per the MID while the actual was around 20kmpl. This was in the running in period. Now at 7000kms on the odo and the recent Hyderabad - Bangalore trip, the car returned 19.5kmpl. This was with an Avg speed of 80kmph as displayed on the MID and Climate control turned on through out the journey. So I am unsure of the 25kmpl and the kind of driving required for it but 20kmpl is surely doable and this is even without babying the car on the highway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 4224325)
Awesome short write up there mate! Cool pics too..!

In my Figo, I have upped the tyre size to the same one as on the Sports Edition. The highest i have managed so far is 22kmpl as per the MID while the actual was around 20kmpl. This was in the running in period. Now at 7000kms on the odo and the recent Hyderabad - Bangalore trip, the car returned 19.5kmpl. This was with an Avg speed of 80kmph as displayed on the MID and Climate control turned on through out the journey. So I am unsure of the 25kmpl and the kind of driving required for it but 20kmpl is surely doable and this is even without babying the car on the highway.

Coming from a petrol Figo with a free flow exhaust and flooring the pedal most of the time, 17 kmpl is no complaints for me.
I was wondering on a turbo diesel especially like the 1.5 Ford, why will someone go after efficiency rather than enjoying the power.

During the 1200 km trip , I was at 2500 rpm or above for more than half distance and was flooring the pedal for more or less every overtake. Petrol engine driving influence.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4224749)
I was wondering on a turbo diesel especially like the 1.5 Ford, why will someone go after efficiency rather than enjoying the power.

Exactly echo my thoughts on this one. With the power to weight ratio and instant power on tap, it is good to enjoy the power. FE is anyways a by product and should keep one happy as well but driving it only for FE will kill the joy of driving this machine for the enthusiast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4224749)
During the 1200 km trip , I was at 2500 rpm or above for more than half distance and was flooring the pedal for more or less every overtake. Petrol engine driving influence.:D

:thumbs up ! You might have noticed if you have kept the MID on real time FE that the car gives better FE in this RPM range if you are in the right gear. So better power and FE!! Having your cake and eating it too huh?! :D

The Ford Figo Sports could be had with the option of side airbags at an additional cost as per ACI article below if that is true it is fantastic news for people wanting for additional security.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-405237.aspx