Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:44   #31
MCR
BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Excellent Review. However the 'Chief Competitors' post is missed.

This car does not have the character of either the Ford EcoSport or the Suzuki Vitara Brezza. They both look like a proper SUV and WR-V looks more like a hatch back with raised ride height and body side molding!

The biggest let down of WR-V is the interior part quality. It can be termed as average at the best and not at the levels of Ford EcoSport.

If you look at the competition, each car brings its own Character.
TUV 3oo - Macho
EcoSport - Stylish and Chic
Vitara Brezza - Features and VFM with a trendy design

WR-V - Sun roof? Is this what this car brings to the table?
MCR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful review!

I have an EcoSport AT and I'm just wondering what about the WR-V would make me seriously consider it, if I were in the market today.

- Engine? No. The EcoSport has more engine options: 1.5 petrol and diesel, and the 1 Ecoboost
- Gearbox? Lol! It doesn't even come with the AT option
- Safety? No. EcoSport has a much stronger build. And the top variant has 6 airbags. Considering the WR-V only comes in two variants, they should have given 6 airbags on the VX
- Features? Possibly. But the sunroof and infotainment system aren't dealbreakers for me.
- Reliability? Yes. Honda vs. Ford is a no-brainer
- Cost of ownership? No clear winner

I think the sunroof and Honda badge are the only two factors going for the WR-V; and people will soon look past it.

Problem is, this is a very confused segment.

i20 is more of a hatch, Duster is more of a SUV, Creta is a case study. So, it is EcoSport vs. Brezza vs. WR-V.

EcoSport has a lot of things going for it, Brezza has the Maruti-Suzuki badge. Honda has missed a few tricks with the WR-V: 1.5 petrol engine, AT and "more-for-less".
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:00   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
How bad it is in terms of acceptability? I am driving Innova(Diesel) since last 7 years, is this something which is really a deal breaker/show stopper? On my 15 min test drive somehow i couldn't notice same, also the max speed i tried was 80km/h only.
It is acceptable - definitely not as bad as the old Innova. You can live with these vibrations. It's when you compare it with some new-age stuff from Hyundai, etc. that you notice such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Aditya, what is your height?
5'10". I found the headrests in the WR-V quite pointless. The problem for the WR-V is that cars like the Vitara Brezza (and even the Ignis) offer adjustable headrests.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2017 at 10:01.
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:43   #34
BHPian

Saw many WR-V's on roads in Gurgaon. It definitely looks much better in reality. Looks Big too! From Side profile, it looks better than Ecosport (Which surprised me!). Interiors, I have not seen, but in terms of road presence and styling, I would rate WR-V very highly (only comparing with Ecosport), on par with Ecosport. IT would have been the best looker if rear mounted Spare wheel had been provided, like Ecosport.

Going by the reviews though, Ecosport (although now starting to age, need a good facelift), is still the best choice all-around in sub-4 mt pseudo-SUV category. The Blend of engine options, styling, build quality, driving dynamics and safety features make Ecosport the best bet.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:25   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Just one question, is it worth going for WR-V by paying nearly INR 1.5L over Jazz? Keeping aside cosmetic changes, aren't they 'same' cars?
You can say that about most crossovers. Why buy a Vitara Brezza over the Baleno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby_great View Post
In diesel top variant, it has very few points to score over competitively priced Ecosport titanium tdci, barring sunroof.
Ride quality, space & better boot. These are three significant advantages of the WR-V (although I'd still pick the EcoSport). The sunroof will also be a big draw for the masses. It was a smart move to offer that in the WR-V.

I took a WR-V for a spin around Mumbai and was impressed by its all-roundedness. In the longer term, it'll do a lot better in the market than the BR-V, Mobilio etc. have. Only thing I really missed is that lovely 1.5L petrol.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Recommended tyre pressure for the diesel WR-V is 35 and 32 psi, which is a little on the higher side especially for the front.

One of the areas where fit could have been better. The gap between the glovebox lid and dashboard is quite big:

35psi does look to be a high number. It is 33psi in the Jazz Diesel.

The gap between the glove box lid and the dashboard is same as that in the Jazz top end model. To add to that the lid moves/yields when loaded - leading a squeaky rattle from that component when going over rough roads. Such small yet significant lack of attention to detail leads to unwanted rattles in the car taking away the in cabin experience.
feluda86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:49   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
The gap between the glove box lid and the dashboard is same as that in the Jazz top end model. To add to that the lid moves/yields when loaded - leading a squeaky rattle from that component when going over rough roads. Such small yet significant lack of attention to detail leads to unwanted rattles in the car taking away the in cabin experience.
Jazz too? Ditto with my Honda BR-V (but no rattles though). Looks like somebody in Honda QC team is slacking off -

Honda WR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164559_1_p.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as always folks. Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can say that about most crossovers. Why buy a Vitara Brezza over the Baleno?
Well because general buyers don't really bother about what's under the skin, but what's visible outside and they both look distinctively different. Except for the swift and dezire I dont think any maruti looks similar to the other atleast from outside(underlying platform be damned)

Quote:
The sunroof will also be a big draw for the masses. It was a smart move to offer that in the WR-V.
You said it.

That one thing is the main reason for the car selling in 3k-ish numbers? Here in Electronic city I spot 2-3 of them regularly and all of them are iVtec top models(with sunroof). Infact I guess in the other thread also we saw a few instances where people changed booking from Ecosport/Brezza to WR-V as kids/family were bowled over by the sunroof.

Quote:
Only thing I really missed is that lovely 1.5L petrol.
I doubt HONDA would do that anytime soon. How about a CVT version on the 1.2L motor? From the Jazz ownership reviews it seems the CVT somehow masks the lower end lag of the 1.2 iVtec? Atleast that would make the petrol version somewhat a serious contender against Ecosport AT(as even this one ain't no scorcher)?

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd June 2017 at 11:56.
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Excellent review as always folks. Kudos.

Well because general buyers don't really bother about what's under the skin, but what's visible outside and they both look distinctively different. Except for the swift and dezire I dont think any maruti looks similar to the other atleast from outside(underlying platform be damned)
I would disagree. Swift and Dzire are obviously the same cars, but look at Ertiga. If we look at the side profiles, esp the front 1/3rd part from bumper till A pillar, many Maruti cars look same. Blow out a swift a bit and you get Baleno, stretch it and you get Ciaz. Brezza and that hotch-potch Ignis look entirely different though, I have to agree.

Jazz itself is a good looking car, WR-V more so. At 3999 mm it is as long as Ecosport and longer than Brezza. It is well proportioned too, and a sensible product in the segment. Look at I20 Active, or a cross-polo, or Liva TRD sportivo, even Avventura. Its only plastic cladding, cosmetic changes and a raised suspension, on the outside.

WR-V is among the better products coming from Honda stable off-late. In diesel avatar, I find it a more sensible choice that city. Would have been the same case with petrol if Honda had given 1.5 L Vtec too.

I was very sceptical of this WR-V, until I saw it in flesh on road. It's one damn good looking car (left me pleasantly surprised).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Review Aditya & Dzired!!
As always, another 5 Star effort.

And also as always, Honda scores another neither here neither there car.
The names are weird to start off with. The Jazz, another dud in their cap gives way to the WRV.
So, we first had the Brio, then Mobilio and then BRV on the same platform with little differentiation other than the length. And, now we have the jacked up Jazz in the WRV trim commanding a premium because of the cladding.
Honda certainly needs to plonk in a 1.5 iVtec in the Petrol. The Diesel seems decent spec.
However, in no way will the WRV turn teh tables on either of the compact SUVs. The Ecosport has a better character. The face-lift, just round the corner also looks enticing. The Brezza is in another league as far as sales nos. are concerned. WRV would have to share the market space between the wannabe Hatch grows to CSUV/Crossovers of Liva Cross, Polo Cross and the Hyundai i20 Active.

Not a very differentiating car that looks like it will also get lost in the crowd.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:08   #41
BHPian

Yeesh! Here goes Honda again !!

Honda really seems to be daring even their most die-hard fans to buy a car from another brand!!

I can understand the 1.2 on the Brio (hell we own one!), but on the Jazz and WRV?

All Honda had to do was sell the Jazz with the 1.2P manual and 1.5P (manual/automatic), maybe Magic seats on the top 2 grades and it would have sold well.

What was the need for all these fripperies like Sunroof, pseudo-SUV looks, blah blah and investment to make another motoring appliance in the WRV !!

Honda is the new Maruti with a severe image problem, the new Swift will probably take the Jazz to the cleaners in terms of driving experience and I feel the S Cross is superior to the Honda City.

How the mighty have fallen!!

Lets Make Honda Great Again ! Bring back the 1.5 ivtec on the JAZZ/WRV
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
It is acceptable - definitely not as bad as the old Innova. You can live with these vibrations. It's when you compare it with some new-age stuff from Hyundai, etc. that you notice such things.
Does the car shake on starting and stopping the engine like Amaze, Jazz and City diesels?

Quote:
5'10". I found the headrests in the WR-V quite pointless. The problem for the WR-V is that cars like the Vitara Brezza (and even the Ignis) offer adjustable headrests.
Missing adjustable headrests is simply not acceptable for a car of this price range. It seems Honda designers have decided to cut all costs at the rear bench - no magic seats, no rear air-con vents, no adjustable headrests.

One reason that I can think of under-featuring the petrol with respect to the diesel is to boost diesel sales. Honda diesels have a poor NVH reputation and are not selling well (less than 30% of their total sales) despite being good engines otherwise. Is it possible that the deliberate attempt to use the 1.2L engine, cutting on features like key-less entry, start stop button, cruise control on the petrol was a deliberate attempt to push customers towards the diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Jazz too? Ditto with my Honda BR-V (but no rattles though). Looks like somebody in Honda QC team is slacking off -
Attached picture shows how big the gap is in Jazz.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V : Official Review-unnamed-1.jpg  

feluda86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:47   #43

Great review.
But I fail to identify any solid USP or differentiating factor for this vehicle which will make prospective EcoSport or Breza buyers take a look at this. Pricing is similar, engines are similar (actually one is under powered while the other is grumpy), feature list is nothing special and the design leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure why Honda launched this car.
Mitul1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:51   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Does the car shake on starting and stopping the engine like Amaze, Jazz and City diesels?
It's been very long since I sat in any of these cars. However, Honda seems to addressed this issue. There is very little cabin shake - really not anything worth mentioning.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2017 at 12:53.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but it looks ugly. No offense please. I could hardly make any difference with Jazz in first go. Price is also not very good, crosses 10 + Lacs OTR for base diesel as well.

In Era when people are moving towards petrol cars, strangely Honda has put a small engine for so called SUV/Crossover. Its good in Brio and Amaze but surely not for this car. I don't see this car getting any success. We can see in next 3-4 months sales will come around 1 K mark. Honda guys, learn few things from Maruti and Hyundai, you need it badly.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks