Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Honda WR-V is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 7.75 - 10.00 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you’ll like:

What you won’t:
Excellent review Aditya and a well deserved 5* rating to the thread as well

Personally, I hate such dumb colours on automobiles, but I guess the Honda R&D must have a reason to put this into production.

I happened to see one on the road just today in white shade and I have to admit that it somehow looks better than the Jazz. Honda Jazz has always appeared a bit confused to me with a real missing identity between a true Hatch and Crossover. The WRV fills in that gap quite well I guess.

As GTO has stated, the best thing that happened to WRV is a Sun-roof and having only 2 variants. It is easy for people to choose the one with all the bells & whistles, and the Sunroof is quite a relished feature by the mass market.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 2nd June 2017 at 13:37.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitul1979 View Post
Great review.
But I fail to identify any solid USP or differentiating factor for this vehicle which will make prospective EcoSport or Breza buyers take a look at this...
Quoting GTO here and its the general consensus about the car's USP. The 'SUN-ROOF'

And ofcourse HONDAs are considered pretty reliable unlike Ford in our market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The sunroof will also be a big draw for the masses. It was a smart move to offer that in the WR-V.
Honda very well knows how our market reacts to swanky features as compared to safety/functionality be it chrome overdose or features like this. And they did just that.

In the other WR-V thread(the launch one) there were a few instances where due to the sunroof decisions changed in favor of WR-V against EcoSport.

P.S : Remember hyundai got sunroofs long back in the i20 and I guess in i10 as well? Dont think that raised these many eyebrows though as its doing for the WR-V and hence they ditched it in subsequent iterations.

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd June 2017 at 13:57.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:45   #48
BHPian

Pardon me, but I feel the car lacks the excitement that a buyer should get when he's putting 11 lac+ on the table.

Yes, it does most of the things right, but doesn't really excel at anything. Nor does it give the premium feeling that Honda is associated with.

I can live with a car with a few flaws, but it's got to have a character of it's own.
anurag.somani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:45   #49
BHPian

Hello everyone!

I dont think this product is good enough to trump Ford Ecosport in the AT avatar.

If you are in the market for a sub 4m SUV, go for Ecosport. Its as simple as that! Unless you are a typical Indian buyer who thinks Maruti = perfect, then you will buy the Brezza.

I am eagerly waiting for Tata Nexon. It could be an Ecosport killer...or will it be?

I tried the BR-V. The seating position for tall drivers like me was horrible! This was true of the new City as well. I adjusted the seat and the steering but it was far from comfortable!
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:31   #50
BHPian

Comprehensive review. Thanks.

I am seriously considering the petrol version. What is the actual fuel efficiency in city and on highways ?
Old 2nd June 2017, 19:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Comprehensive review. Thanks.

I am seriously considering the petrol version. What is the actual fuel efficiency in city and on highways ?
Hi, Just bought one in the family. Its for my mom. She frankly felt it had a premium feel and the added ground clearance made ingress and exit a breeze + it was airy inside.

We are getting a FE of 13 in City.
maxbhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 20:04   #52
BHPian

I had a chance to drive a friend's WR-V a few weeks back.
The first thing that struck me was how much higher the seating position was over the Jazz.
Other than that personally I found nothing much to feel great about. The sun roof in a hot country like ours is an invitation to a hot cabin (my opinion, please don't jump on me).
I drove it for around 20km. The first impression was that the cabin is quite good except for the hard plastics in some areas.
I found the gear lever too low and the gear knob too small and uncomfortable to shift.
My friend kept on complaining about it being underpowered but coming from a humble Alto does change perspective. I didn't find it underpowered just that it requires to be revved to make progress.
The armrest is another pointless addition unless you have long arms and long legs you will sit far too forward to use it. The air-con controls though innovative are too fiddly to operate on the move.

The sound system is good though and can take a lot of LFE and keep it clean, quite good for an OEM system.

My friend did mention that he asked the guys at the showroom why the Petrol VX that he bought missed out on some of the features from the Diesel VX.
They said and I quote "the petrol will sell itself, the Diesel will sell only if we entice people with extra features".
Overall for the 11.5 + lakhs on road he paid in Bengaluru I felt you might as well get yourself an SCross if you don't mind the size. Or look at a fully loaded Jazz and keep the change.

He bought it specifically since it was the only crossover, SUV thing which had a petrol engine and fit his requirements of space and being sub 4 m due to his parking space restrictions.
It is in my opinion a No man's land car that will sell in limited numbers for people like my friend who have a specific set of requirements or want that sun roof.

Last edited by nmenon : 2nd June 2017 at 20:06. Reason: Formatting
nmenon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 23:39   #53
BHPian

Took Delivery of the Top End Petrol variant today. Summarising a few observations after about 70Kms of driving the petrol.
  • The gear lever is small
  • Gears are hard to slot in.
  • The armrest, is positioned too much "behind" the seat.
  • Acres of Legroom at the back.
  • The car "feels" well put together.
  • Constantly needed to Down and upshift to get into the "green" eco zone
  • The AC is good
  • The antenna that the dealer provided comes off quite easily, and will get stolen easily.
  • We kept the antenna in the dash, same was advised by the sales guy.
  • Ride quality = Good.
  • The rear seat is where the car shines, but doesn't get any rear AC vents
  • Most Annoying Bit? No auto folding side view mirrors upon locking the car.
smilenow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 03:31   #54
BHPian

Pretty spot-on review, though I'd say you guys have pulled some punches in the interest of objectivity.

So we're looking for a city run about (CR-V? ) for local use; a small, congested city. The car will be used by my mum primarily, and so we test drove the WR-V petrol today.

I like how the car looks, the sun roof is great to have, it is spacious, the dash looks neat. There's quite an airy feel to the cabin. Those are the things I liked.

What we didn't like was that damn engine. Oh, man what a disappointment. Not even that. The GT was a disappointment. This was abysmal. I mean, my 11 year old 1.3 Swift pulls better, nay, much better. I haven't driven any of the other cars which carry this engine but I can't imagine that they would feel much better. This engine works only for extremely sedate, 'old people' driving. It didn't help matters that we test drove the car with 4 people on board and right after having driven the GT for about 30 minutes. It was so bad that I gave the car to my brother after about 5 mins, where I didn't want to at all while driving the GT. Other than that, the only thing I remember is that the AC wasn't cooling at all. I was sweating!

Also, not offering "keyless" entry and push button start in the petrol is baffling, specially since it would be the petrol that would be purchased more for in city use, where getting in and out of the car would be more frequent.

Honda is playing a hand that is far out of its common practice worldwide, and when the competition is Maruti and Hyundai.

The Honda people told us that they would arrange the diesel for a drive in a day or two. Let's see how that goes.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:00   #55
BHPian

Some of the vital things I believe this car has missed:
- 1.5 l ivtec Petrol. For this weight 1.2 does not have the torque required.
- A taller gear stick
- Adjustable rear seat headrests
- Engine start/stop button in petrol variants

I think it scores good in all other aspects.

As compared to Ecosport and Brezza it has:
- better cabin space
- more premium feeling in the cabin
- bigger and practical boot
- absorbent suspension in low speeds
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:26   #56
BHPian

Why isn't Maruti plonking a petrol engine in the Brezza? Maybe then Honda "might" give us a better petrol offering seeing half of WR-V's sale going to the Maruti stable.

That said, I like how the WR-V looks. Ecosport is just way too common and I have never liked the Brezza's street presence.

They should bring a S+ and VX+ variant with that yummy 1.5L i-vtec and sale it alongside the current petrol. That will make WR-V a complete car.
Old 3rd June 2017, 10:22   #57
BHPian

Hello to all. I drive the new Jazz, but I happen to be a secret admirer of the older version that was discontinued. To me, that was the best looking Jazz so far. I consider the design of the older Jazz more proportionate and 'mature'. The current one, although it looks edgy, looks like a WIP. And let me not even get started on the QC issues.

Coming to the WR-V, and no offense to owners and its admirers, if the current Jazz is 'immature' looking the WR-V looks plain childish. Before somebody criticizes me for my choice of car, let me just say that I prefer practical cars. And looks aside, the Jazz with its immense space (specially those Magic Seats) is the most practical petrol hatchback in the < INR 10 lac category. That's the sole reason for me going for it. And even between the top-end Jazz and the top-end WR-V, its the former which is more practical, by miles.

I think Honda is going to put itself out of the game in India by bringing out such 'silly' iterations of its global models.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

Last edited by Flanker99 : 3rd June 2017 at 10:23.
Flanker99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Why isn't Maruti plonking a petrol engine in the Brezza? Maybe then Honda "might" give us a better petrol offering seeing half of WR-V's sale going to the Maruti stable.

Well Maruti isn't giving a petrol to the Brezza as none of its current NA engines would do justice to it . They might be contemplating on putting the 1.0 or 1.4 Booster jet but that would raise the price as its imported? So lot to think.

What is Honda thinking? They are already on the back foot. Their recent launches have not set the sales chart on fire. The Brezza and Ecosport are competing well in the segment. So if honda thought of entering that segment I don't think only a sunroof can help their case.

They should have taken this opportunity and provided the WRV with the 1.5. It would have been better than the 1.5 Ecosport. The 1.0 ecoboost isn't doing any great numbers as it is.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
Took Delivery of the Top End Petrol variant today.
Congratulations Smilenow on your new "drivenow". Wish you a safe, happy and fuss-free drive experience!

Would love to see some pictures of your Wow-RV. Do you mind sharing some?

Thanks for sharing your firsthand feedback. Some suggestions you may find useful:

Quote:
  • The gear lever is small
Try adjusting the driver's seat height to make it a proportionate match with gear stick, driving view, your comfort and ease. Accordingly the steering tilt may be adjusted as well(my favorite position: tilt it to the lowest possible). Too much low slung sitting in urban driving isn't advised though as it leads to bad ergonomics in bumper-to-bumper traffic where the left foot repeated needs be lifted to engage clutch.

Quote:
  • Gears are hard to slot in.
Being new, slotting the gears may feel hard. After the run-in period, hope it'll be a breeze.

Quote:
  • The armrest, is positioned too much "behind" the seat.
Again, try adjusting the seat height. As you'll step the seat down, it tends to move backward = armrest coming forward.

Quote:
  • Constantly needed to Down and upshift to get into the "green" eco zone
Well, when I bought my Jazz, I too faced a similar scenario and I believe, we two aren't the only ones. It takes time getting used to with this 1.2L i-vtec, but soon you'll be acclimatized with it. Its a lovely, fuel efficient and a truly reliable engine for sedate driving style.

Quote:
  • The antenna that the dealer provided comes off quite easily, and will get stolen easily.
  • We kept the antenna in the dash, same was advised by the sales guy.
Don't you worry about the OEM whip antenna. All the mast type antennae in any car get screw mounting only. Simply tighten it and forget it. When we bought our Honda City in April'08, even I had this concern as anyone could rotate it out(since the car is parked down at the roadside), but no one cares and this shouldn't happen unless a bad intention. My Jazz too came with a similar rotary mast(much shorter and thicker though), but I soon did a DIY to replace it with an aftermarket shark fin. The OEM whip type antenna is now lying redundant at home.

Looking forward to hear your ownership experience(s) in the days to come. Also, do share what all accessories you have or planning to go in for? Good luck!

Thanks,
Simmi

Last edited by Nohonking : 3rd June 2017 at 12:45.
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 14:04   #60
BHPian

The below is the team bhp review comment on WR-V engine.

Quote:
This has been a problem with this engine ever since it's introduction in the Amaze. Honda has tried hard to reduce the noise since then with the Jazz, updated City and the WR-V but it's still far from acceptable.
The below is the team bhp review comment on BR-V engine.

Quote:
Honda has worked on feedback from its customers and reduced the diesel's noise levels. No, it's far from the best in class and can still get audible, but surely isn't a deal breaker. We'd say that the diesel's overall refinement levels are now 'acceptable'.
Surely, it's the same engine and in the same state of tune in both the vehicles and will not be behaving differently on different vehicles. Which one of the above is the correct assessment?

Also, I don't recollect reading about vibrations in the gear lever on the BR-V review but the WR-V review talks about vibrations in the gear level as well. Can this be clarified as well please?
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed