Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2018, 20:41   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

There is no drop in power when AC is switched ON. The petrol variant pulls cleanly in all gears, my observation on 6 gear transmission is, either the 5th or 6th gear is useless. I am finding the 6th gear completely useless for my driving style in new Duster.
Old 24th April 2018, 22:04   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
...my observation on 6 gear transmission is, either the 5th or 6th gear is useless. I am finding the 6th gear completely useless for my driving style in new Duster.
I'll politely disagree with you. The 6th gear is so useful especially coupled to a diesel engine as it helps to cruise at lesser RPMs. Also, the 6th gear helps to make the first 3 or 4 gears short and close ratio for lag-free driving. I've used the Renault Lodgy and my current i20 with 6 speed gearbox and it's been immensely useful. If I'm cruising on B roads where I can't reach 3 digit speeds, I just cruise in 5th and at 3 digit speeds I use 6th gear and it helps in better fuel efficiency, helps engine longevity and lesser NVH in the cabin.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 22:20   #198
Senior - BHPian

My observation has been from driving 5 speed MT diesel cars like Swift, Fabia, Fiesta, Ecosport and Rapid and now driving a 6 speed Duster.

Last edited by deehunk : 24th April 2018 at 22:21.
Old 25th April 2018, 00:41   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am finding the 6th gear completely useless for my driving style in new Duster.
Have you driven highways recently? If so, do you prefer to cruise on the highways, or are you always gunning the throttle? For cruising - the 6th gear is a very big advantage - less rpm, less engine noise, more FE.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 08:15   #200
Senior - BHPian

I hardly cruise at 3 digit speed these days, prefer to drive between 80-90 kmph. This habit of mine has rendered the 6th gear useless. The additional 6th gear in WR-V diesel variant has not improved the engine refinement compared to 6-speed Duster.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 10:50   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Have you driven highways recently? If so, do you prefer to cruise on the highways, or are you always gunning the throttle? For cruising - the 6th gear is a very big advantage - less rpm, less engine noise, more FE.

I have used the 6th gear extensively on my recent highway trip. It's very effective. I found that the car reaches 100KMPH with the tacho under 2000 rpm. There is absolutely no strain on the engine and there is enough power left on tap even after reaching 100KMPH. The engine noise is very muted and it feels like driving a petrol car. The cruise control came in very handy as well.
iVtec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 11:40   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no drop in power when AC is switched ON. The petrol variant pulls cleanly in all gears, .
Yes, there is no power drop when Ac is on. In fact, in our car, AC is on all the time. My issue is, AC in WR-V is not able to cool the entire cabin even after two hours.

Quote:
I am finding the 6th gear completely useless for my driving style in new Duster
I drove a Duster AWD extensively during my Leh 2016 trip and I must stay 6th gear was very effective in cruising above 100kmph. As someone pointed out, the biggest advantages of the 6th gear are less rpm, less engine noise and more FE.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 13:54   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Yes, there is no power drop when Ac is on. In fact, in our car, AC is on all the time. My issue is, AC in WR-V is not able to cool the entire cabin even after two hours.

I drove a Duster AWD extensively during my Leh 2016 trip and I must stay 6th gear was very effective in cruising above 100kmph. As someone pointed out, the biggest advantages of the 6th gear are less rpm, less engine noise and more FE.
Do you think a Diesel WRV would be able to make it to Leh without any drama. Considering the road conditions and ground clearance will a Stock WRV be able to make it to Leh unscathed. Would be great to hear your views.
Old 25th April 2018, 14:00   #204
Senior - BHPian

I am sure WR-V Diesel can make it to Ladakh, the only irritating thing I find is the small deflector found below the front bumper. This part often comes into contact with stones and boulders.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 14:22   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Do you think a Diesel WRV would be able to make it to Leh without any drama. .
I have seen plenty of small hatchbacks with lower GC on road to Leh. WR- V with its higher Gc can do Ladakh very easily. Moreover, the roads to Ladakh are not that bad nowadays. 65% (give or take )of Manali- Leh highway is tarred. Srinagar to Leh highway is better than Manali Highway.

We, three friends, were planning to do Leh this may by a petrol Jazz (Yes! a Jazz). Lately, one more friend joined us and offered to take his XUV500. I was very much confident on taking Jazz to Leh. WR-V is a better car than Jazz.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 17:33   #206
BHPian

Quote:
There is no drop in power when AC is switched ON. The petrol variant pulls cleanly in all gears, my observation on 6 gear transmission is, either the 5th or 6th gear is useless. I am finding the 6th gear completely useless for my driving style in new Duster.
It is about time you penned your ownership experience. It will help prospective buyers like myself who're considering Petrol WR-V. TIA!
prashkul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 21:52   #207
BHPian

Thank you Aditya,

Your review helped me take a decision! Just booked my WR-V.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2018 at 11:18. Reason: Quoting the main post isn't necessary for this response. Thanks.
Old 9th May 2018, 20:56   #208
BHPian

An hot afternoon outing looking for next car.

With my Figo nearing 110,000 kms, sense of urgency had filled the family for new car. Couple of weeks went by checking new cars on road and family had out right rejected few models.

One of the weekends we decided to step out for test drive and it was pre decided by home ministry that we would go to Honda(jazz), nexa (baleno), Ford(ecosport, freestyle)

First stop was Trident Honda. My first ever entry into Honda showroom. Checked out BRV, Jazz, Wrv put on display. Then the Jazz auto and VX model magic seats were explained in detail. WRV was parked next to jazz and we continue to look at WRV. The book space is huge, the rear seats and space humungous. Kid plays more in WRV.
We are a bit confused for test drive between jazz and wrv, and family selects wrv. Diesel is default non negotiable for me.

Test drive experience
1) it was choc-a-block on Mysore road due to concrete work on university junction metro. It had taken me 30 mins to cross RR signal. V. Hot afternoon around 3pm.
2) the car was parked in hot sun
3) took a short drive from Trident to university and back; almost 40 mins in traffic.
4) super soft clutch and steering and tons of torque at 1,2 gears I was immediately at ease in the traffic jam.
5) the car can start to move in 2nd gear.
6) A/c took time to cool cabin. Family at back seat didn't complain.
7) speeding over humps , esp ones on UCPE ground road was very stable, no rolling etc.
8) am sold on the torque and steering and comfy seats in front.
9) family likes the space and rear seat ride.
10) yeah... The sun roof.... Kid was super super excited about it and wanted to be looking out from open sunroof all the time.
11) music system seems okish.
12) auto ac fan makes lot of noise above mark 4.
13) the diesel engine noise inside cabin is non issue(relaive),... obviously coming from 1st Gen Figo tdci. So compared to current car this was quite silent in cabin.
14) sun roof, sun roof, sun roof.... Kid totally fida on it.
15) left the show room with car booked and all further test drive plans cancelled.
Yeah... No wonder wrv is selling.... It got the looks, space, engine, milage all in all definitely Wow RV.
ownerofazkaban is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 09:13   #209
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2018 at 09:14.
shashi63 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th May 2018, 12:50   #210
BHPian

I have a bone to pick with Honda. (Disclaimer, I feel WRV is that almost, almost perfect Honda for me, even with the 1.2 iVtec).

Honda finally understand that the width is as important as length in a car. You make a decently tall car in WRV, excellent front seats (as expected), give it a good amount of space at the back (Honda hallmark).

But can't have magic seats at a million rupees (gulp), can't give you split seat at a million rupees (gulp, gulp), don't bother about the adjustable rear headrests for a million rupees. A person spending a million rupees on a quirky, pumped up hatch/pseudo utility vehicle has done that cause he wants more space and comfort for his loved ones seating at the back. I dont see anyone transporting hens around town in a WRV.

Why Honda why? Is it that difficult and expensive to have a adjustable rear seat headrests.

I am yet to drive WRV, but its on the cards before (I eat my words and belief) and decide if its going to be a hatchback (i20) or a crossover (S-cross,financial hara-kiri).
Ritzvxi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks