Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2019, 07:19   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post

I don't know if buying a car is supposed to be like this but this experience was not a good one. When I bought my Zest in 2015, things were not very smooth but I had a much better buying experience. Tigor is a fine car and it's sad to see that potential customers are being shooed away like this at a time when Tata Motors is itself struggling.
I think the problem is with your Dealer. I have a good and pleasant experience with my dealer and the relationship still continues.

Tata Motors have good products now, but some dealers are spoiling the game (this is my observation).

Do you have any other dealer in your place - If yes, check with them also.
nairrk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 12:15   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Today me, wife and dad test drove the tigor AMT and below are my observations:
- Car felt peppy as compared to Nexon petrol AMT. In sports mode in b2b traffic it felt jerky.
- Brakes felt spongy. But I guess it's a matter of getting used to.
- 3 adults at the back is not much of an issue as the rear seat stretches all the way till the doors so the folks sitting at corners get ample soft cushioning. This was not the case with Nexon. There 3 at back was a squeeze.
- Extremely easy to move around due to its compact dimensions. Also the ride quality is brilliant.

Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to drive it at highs speeds so I've never been able to get a sense of its behaviour at triple digit speeds and to get a first hand experience of how it's engine performs (basis the general assumption that the engine is underpowered).
I own tigor manual and Tiago amt. Tiago engine is very refined and has ample power at sensible speeds. The engine is peppy enough but don't expect any wonders in fuel efficiency (read no Maruti level efficiency as it is around 200kgs heavier) .highway stability for the tigor is good but would recommend an upgrade to 185 Tyres as the good year OEM is crap.

Yes,your wish there was more power when it is fully loaded with 5members and luggage but never to the point of cursing it. Easily livable . For me build quality and high speed stability was too priority. Plus the compactness and the lack of width is a great plus in city. Absolutely the right size in city with a very sweet steering and auto fold mirrors (tap them to reduce width even more)

Top pluses
Compactness and manuverabilty
Feelsome and light steering with self centring
Auto ac
Comfy seats in the xz+
Reverse camera
Build quality
Ownership cost in 1 year-100 bucks for key remote
Nanolover is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:51   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Tigor gets 4 stars in Global NCAP Tests.

Source : Global NCAP
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:08   #259
BHPian

Is there a possibility of a review of the updated tigor?
Not a single ownership or intial impressions post on the forum.
Would be great if Team BHP reviews the facelift.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 20:04   #260
BHPian

Saw this on youtube feed today.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:29   #261
BHPian

Third service done . Odo @11500 Kms. Total amount is a thousand rupees which I feel is very reasonable (only grner check up and a much deserved wash and cleanup)
Nanolover is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:55   #262
BHPian

Hi. Tiago comes with a rear washer/wiper. Why is it not available in the tigor ?
Old 12th January 2021, 13:58   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Hi. Tiago comes with a rear washer/wiper. Why is it not available in the tigor ?
It has to do with its sedan form factor. You don't see a rear wash and wipe on sedans like City, Verna, Vento etc or even the compact sedans like Ford aspire, Amaze etc.

Some explanation for this: https://drivetribe.com/p/why-sedans-...TiCRmX4yz2FXmA
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:02   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
In a low slung sedan - the muck and dirt thrown up by the wheels mainly gets blocked by the protruding boot. The airflow going over a much sloped rear glass also ensures the small water droplets carrying mud/much don't settle on the glass.

In case of SUVs / hatchbacks - the rear overhang tends to be smaller, ground clearance is higher / wheels are much larger (SUVs). Additionally, the rear windshield tends to be more upright compared to sedans, so aerodynamics don't help a lot. So - they tend to need wipers a bit more in general.

Frequently there are notchbacks that tend to have a rear wiper. A common sight in the EU. In our market - these aren't frequent sights. The old Hyundai Accent Viva was one such example. It was a notchback that had a rear wipe. If you ask me - the Tigor might find a rear wipe useful. But I don't see even a remote chance of that investment happening.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 20:24   #265
BHPian

Thanks JithinR and Reinhard for your elaborate details. Tigor is a great VFM sedan with a lot of features. I can never understand why it doesn't sell well. If it had an Altroz spec diesel offering(bs4 spec was 70bhp + 140 Nm! what were they thinking?!), it would register very good sales. Given its current numbers, Tata wouldn't intend on investing it.
Old 4th March 2021, 02:05   #266
BHPian

So I test drove Tigor and Tiago (MT) and I had very low expectation for Tigor and somewhat high expectation for Tiago.

However, it was the Tigor which actually impressed me with its value for money offering.

Here are the points which I liked about Tigor BS6 as compared to Tiago:

• Looks: it has mature looks and is a proper well integrated sedan (no patch up job).
  • Space: Its almost same as Tiago but you get a 490 L usable boot with gas struts.
  • Engine: Specs are same, however I felt Tigor engine is much more refined and have less vibrations than Tiago engine
  • Drivability (drove with 3 people): I felt it has ample low end torque to drive in traffic, on an empty stretch I just accelerated in 3rd gear and the car responded eagerly and reached 80-90 KMPH pretty soon.
  • Ride quality: Its way better than swift, it just glides over pot hole. Its very composed and there is minimal side way movements over bad roads.
  • Interiors: Well laid out with all the required features, good music system, Apple and android support, steering mounted control, safety features etc.

Can be better
  • Finishing: Beading finishing needs some work.
  • Interior plastics: They are okay, but at this price point its understandable
  • Engine: Mentioning here as to me its adequate, but may not satisfy people who want to drive hard. So bringing in Turbo will help, but it will push the cost too.

Icing on the cake is its pricing, the XM (Mid Variant MT) is INR 6.09 Ex-Showroom which comes to around INR 7.3 L on road in Bangalore.

And with the offers going around you can have this under 7L.

I feel its an underrated product just ignored because of engine specification on paper. I feel you should drive it and then make a call.

Hope TML positions it as a sub compact sedan rather than compact sedan. Lower the price by 10-20 K and bring in Turbo in this at a premium of 30-40 K and you can pull in some crowd.

This will help TML to open up an entirely new segment of sub-compact sedan. for the families who want a sleek sedan car which has good looks, usable boot and can satisfy their power needs when required.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 09:18   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
So I test drove Tigor and Tiago (MT) and I had very low expectation for Tigor and somewhat high expectation for Tiago.
  • Space: Its almost same as Tiago but you get a 490 L usable boot with gas struts.
Agree with most of your observations. Couple of my colleagues bought Tigor AMT in Jan-2021. I went along with them for PDI & delivery.
Just one small correction, I think boot space in Tigor is 419 not 490 liter.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 09:57   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, it was the Tigor which actually impressed me with its value for money offering.
Your experience is in line with most others who tested the Tigor. I have 3 close friends who are happy users of the Tigor AMT since years now.
Quote:
Hope TML positions it as a sub compact sedan rather than compact sedan. Lower the price by 10-20 K and bring in Turbo in this at a premium of 30-40 K and you can pull in some crowd.
This I didn't quite understand. By definition - the Tigor already is in the sub-compact sedan (<4M length) segment. Compact sedans are City-Verna-Ciaz-Yaris. Its marketed as a sub4m sedan also. So no doubt about that pretty much.

And I don't see a chance of TML investing to bring back the turbo variant (after JTP was stopped). Hardly anyone will pay the premium for a Tigor Turbo. Altroz iTurbo makes a better case at that price point given more space and finish of the overall package. And you cant add a turbo with just 30k premium really.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 15:55   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As someone above has already clarified, the boot space is 419 litres and not 490.

Probably the biggest in its category (no idea of the Xcent).

Also it helps that the boot door has hinges which are located outside the storage area.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:45   #270
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the BS6 Tigor XZA+ (10k kms on the odo). In city driving experience is as follows-
  • Felt the engine is enough refined for a 3 cylinder.
  • Could easily pull with 4 passengers on board, oodles of bottom end torque.
  • Rides slightly softer compared to that of the Zest.
  • Steering is lighter compared to the Zest at slow speeds.
  • Up shifts in the manual mode are quite lag less.
Now, a few queries-
1) What is the expected FE? For reference, I usually extract around 17-18kmpl and 23-24kmpl in city and highways respectively, on my Zest QJD.

2) Felt slight juddering upon acceleration in 2nd gear with no apparent sound from gearbox. Is it a common observation even in the MT?
Even my Zest QJD 90ps jiggles a little only in the 2nd gear, in the turbo lag zone. The sales representative passed it off as a common observation in the Nexon as well. Although, I didn't observe the same in the petrol MT Nexon.

Thanks in advance. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

P.S. : I am eyeing the Tigor XMA, as I am on a tight budget.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 9th March 2021 at 13:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks