Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 14:10   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
1) What is the expected FE? For reference, I usually extract around 17-18kmpl and 23-24kmpl in city and highways respectively, on my Zest QJD.
Expect around 11-13 in city and 17-19 in highway usage conditions. Don't compare the mileage of a 1.2 petrol engine with the mighty MJD. You'll never feel comfortable .
On an average - assume that this engine-car combination will give about 1-1.5 kmpl LESS than a K12/Dzire combination in all conditions.

My friends report around 14-17 KMPL average. i.e. mix of city and highway.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th March 2021 at 14:21.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:50   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Agree with most of your observations. Couple of my colleagues bought Tigor AMT in Jan-2021. I went along with them for PDI & delivery.
Just one small correction, I think boot space in Tigor is 419 not 490 liter.
Yes the boot space is 419 L. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Test drove the BS6 Tigor XZA+ (10k kms on the odo).

2) Felt slight juddering upon acceleration in 2nd gear with no apparent sound from gearbox. Is it a common observation even in the MT?
Even my Zest QJD 90ps jiggles a little only in the 2nd gear, in the turbo lag zone. The sales representative passed it off as a common observation in the Nexon as well. Although, I didn't observe the same in the petrol MT Nexon.
It was very minute in the test car, but its mostly unnoticeable. Yes the bottom end torque and the drivability within the city is awesome.

Good luck on your car purchase.

-PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Your experience is in line with most others who tested the Tigor. I have 3 close friends who are happy users of the Tigor AMT since years now.

This I didn't quite understand. By definition - the Tigor already is in the sub-compact sedan (<4M length) segment. Compact sedans are City-Verna-Ciaz-Yaris. Its marketed as a sub4m sedan also. So no doubt about that pretty much.
Thanks Reinhard.

If you search for compact and sub-compact sedans in India, it shows almost similar list like Dzire, Amaze, Aura, Aspire, Tigor etc.

In this category, Tigor doesn't stand a chance as these are all establish players. People will reject it unless they drive it and experience the drive and build quality by themselves.

Also, to make the matters worse there are not enough Tigors on the road.

So what I meant was, TML should have positioned and marketed it differently.

-PK

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd March 2021 at 13:56. Reason: Please edit or multi quote your replies instead of back to back posts on the same page. Thanks.
Old 25th March 2021, 22:37   #273
BHPian

Tigor XMA or XZA+

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new car and more or less zeroed on Tata Tigor. My primary considerations were
1. Automatic
2. Reasonable Fuel Efficiency
3. Boot space (will be used as a family car)

I am a bit confused between XMA and XZA+ variants. Most of the additions which XZA+ provides are cosmetic. There are some which are definitely functionally useful and that is where I wanted to take the feedback of other forum members.

The features I have questions on are mentioned below.
1. Headlights:

XMA has 3-dimensional headlamps
XZA+ has Projector headlamps

I know Projector headlamps can make use of better bulbs but are they substantially better than what XMA has? What if I upgrade the stock bulbs with a better brand (say Philips)?

2. Rear parking camera and Fog lamps - XZA+ has it and XMA does not. I did a bit of research and it looks like it can be added aftermarket. Question is does that impact warranty or insurance cover?

3. Tires

XMA has steel rims (175/65 R14)
XZA+ has alloy rims (175/60 R15)

Barring the looks, I know that alloys are lighter and in this case one size bigger. So, does the larger size provide a higher ground clearance? And does the lighter tires result in substantial fuel economy?

4. ConnectNext app suite - Seem like a lot of feature including Android/iOS integration in here. I found a 153 page PDF in Tata motors site . What I am interested here is to know if gives any monitoring options (service history etc) which may not be available in XMA variant?
Old 26th March 2021, 15:27   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Test drove the BS6 Tigor XZA+ (10k kms on the odo).

P.S. : I am eyeing the Tigor XMA, as I am on a tight budget.
Did you buy the car now? Curious as I am thinking of the same. Just wanted to check if XZA+ worth the extra money.
Old 26th March 2021, 17:25   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tigor XMA or XZA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoral View Post
XZA+ has Projector headlamps

I know Projector headlamps can make use of better bulbs but are they substantially better than what XMA has? What if I upgrade the stock bulbs with a better brand (say Philips)?
No bulb changes in the headlamp will make any real difference. Unless you upgrade to (illegal) 90/100W halogens with separate relay. Which get extremely hot and have long term effect on the headlamp assembly.

Although, you can work wonders by installing the right type of fog lights in the XM .
Quote:
2. Rear parking camera and Fog lamps - XZA+ has it and XMA does not. I did a bit of research and it looks like it can be added aftermarket. Question is does that impact warranty or insurance cover?
Can be added - and no impact on warranty/insurance if its done correctly. That is something you will have to ensure yourself.
Quote:
XMA has steel rims (175/65 R14)
XZA+ has alloy rims (175/60 R15)
15 inchers on alloys do look good and are worth the price. With the 14 inch steel wheels the car runs fine for general purpose. So no big difference for regular usage. It will be slightly softer on ride infact.
Quote:
4. ConnectNext app suite - Seem like a lot of feature including Android/iOS integration in here. I found a 153 page PDF in Tata motors site. What I am interested here is to know if gives any monitoring options (service history etc) which may not be available in XMA variant?
No the Harman touch unit doesn't have monitoring options. Service history and appointments and everything else is available in the TMSC mobile app, which works the same for all cars regardless of whether XM or XZ. What you'll miss on the XMA is android auto/apple car play etc. And I think auto-climate control also, which is quite a good feature.

If you want - you can replace the XMA's music system head unit with an Android touch screen unit paired with a rear camera. This might be a worthy upgrade if you opt for the XMA trim.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 19:25   #276
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the response. Compared to other famous models of Tata, information on Tigor is a bit sparse of the internet for obvious reason.

Quote:
No bulb changes in the headlamp will make any real difference. Unless you upgrade to (illegal) 90/100W halogens with separate relay. Which get extremely hot and have long term effect on the headlamp assembly.

Although, you can work wonders by installing the right type of fog lights in the XM .
I will avoid such extensive and illegal mods for sure. Need to check what this right kind of fog lights is . I also don't like the really bright LED headlamps which blind the oncoming driver, so will avoid those as well.

Quote:
15 inchers on alloys do look good and are worth the price. With the 14 inch steel wheels the car runs fine for general purpose. So no big difference for regular usage. It will be slightly softer on ride infact.
Does the smaller tires, reduce the ground clearance. I did a calculation with rim height + tire section height and came up with this.

XMA - 291.5 mm and XZA+ - 295.5 mm. So, unless there is a difference in the suspension setup, XZA+ would have 4mm higher ground clearance. As an additional information, in the user manual for Tigor, it is mentioned that the minimum ground clearance would be 134mm (I am guessing on fully laden situation). So, checking this aspect a bit more.

Reference - Latest Tigor user manual in Tata motors site, page 172.

Quote:
No the Harman touch unit doesn't have monitoring options. Service history and appointments and everything else is available in the TMSC mobile app, which works the same for all cars regardless of whether XM or XZ. What you'll miss on the XMA is android auto/apple car play etc. And I think auto-climate control also, which is quite a good feature.
Along with adjustable driver seat height, this was one of things I was thinking as a good feature to have. The software side of the unit is ok for me. I am not sure if I am going to use the Android/iOS integration really that much.

Quote:
Can be added - and no impact on warranty/insurance if its done correctly. That is something you will have to ensure yourself.

If you want - you can replace the XMA's music system head unit with an Android touch screen unit paired with a rear camera. This might be a worthy upgrade if you opt for the XMA trim.
I did check with the dealership about the rear parking camera and the sales guys told me they can install the camera with the head unit for around 32K. Need to check out what they are offering exactly. I am thinking of a alternative where you install the rear camera and use a modified IRVM for as the screen. My friend has this in his old i10.
Old 26th March 2021, 20:26   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will avoid such extensive and illegal mods for sure. Need to check what this right kind of fog lights is. I also don't like the really bright LED headlamps which blind the oncoming driver, so will avoid those as well.
If the Tigor still comes with round fog light design (I think it does) - then the answer is simple - 3" IPHCar bi-xenon projectors with HID lights. Look no further.
Quote:
Does the smaller tires, reduce the ground clearance. I did a calculation with rim height + tire section height and came up with this.
Don't worry about this. The Tigor already has a pretty good ground clearance. And given its track & wheelbase - its near impossible to manage to ground this car on routine usage. Do not over-think. The XM tyre sizes are fine for ground clearance.
Quote:
Along with adjustable driver seat height, this was one of things I was thinking as a good feature to have. The software side of the unit is ok for me. I am not sure if I am going to use the Android/iOS integration really that much.
Take a TD in some XM if possible. A Tiago of a friend or something - which doesn't have seat height adjustment. If you find it fine - the problem is non-existent. Typical fixed position of seats in our markets for cars without height adjust - is pretty well calibrated for average Indian height. Fore-aft movement is enough to find the right position for most drivers. Trust me - once someone hooks on to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - its hard to not use it. The features are definitely one of the better things to happen to cars in recent times. They are definitely worth spending for if you know how to use them best (and safely).
Quote:
I did check with the dealership about the rear parking camera and the sales guys told me they can install the camera with the head unit for around 32K. Need to check out what they are offering exactly. I am thinking of a alternative where you install the rear camera and use a modified IRVM for as the screen. My friend has this in his old i10.
Please do not get such accessories from the ASC if they are unnecessarily costly. Get it done from a well known and good after-market store under your supervision. You'll get a good setup at 1/4th of the price quoted - using the IRVM approach you mentioned. Still - would be better to integrate it with a good Android touch screen head unit instead. (First hand experience.)
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 20:34   #278
BHPian

Quote:
If the Tigor still comes with round fog light design (I think it does) - then the answer is simple - 3" IPHCar bi-xenon projectors with HID lights. Look no further.
Wow, you saved a lot of Google time for this newbie.

Quote:
Take a TD in some XM if possible. A Tiago of a friend or something - which doesn't have seat height adjustment. If you find it fine - the problem is non-existent. Typical fixed position of seats in our markets for cars without height adjust - is pretty well calibrated for average Indian height. Fore-aft movement is enough to find the right position for most drivers. Trust me - once someone hooks on to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - its hard to not use it. The features are definitely one of the better things to happen to cars in recent times. They are definitely worth spending for if you know how to use them best (and safely).
True. I did ask them for a XMA for test drive but they had sent the XZA+ variant. Absolutely makes sense to check the XM. I will do that.

Quote:
Please do not get such accessories from the ASC if they are unnecessarily costly. Get it done from a well known and good after-market store under your supervision. You'll get a good setup at 1/4th of the price quoted - using the IRVM approach you mentioned. Still - would be better to integrate it with a good Android touch screen head unit instead. (First hand experience.)
Right. I was definitely taken back with the quote. Need to look around good after market store once I buy.
Old 29th March 2021, 22:56   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you buy the car now? Curious as I am thinking of the same. Just wanted to check if XZA+ worth the extra money.
Haven't bought it. The lack of Hill hold in the AMT variants kind of swayed the decision away.
Might go for the Dzire vxi AGS for the reason mentioned above, although it feels over priced when compared to the Tigor.

Otherwise, the Tiago/Tigor XZ+/XZA+ are outright value for money when compared to competitors and the mid variants themselves.

Check out videos of V3 cars on YouTube. They compare the variants of each car and give a final verdict based on the VFM'ness.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 29th March 2021 at 22:59.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 00:35   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't bought it. The lack of Hill hold in the AMT variants kind of swayed the decision away.
Might go for the Dzire vxi AGS for the reason mentioned above, although it feels over priced when compared to the Tigor.

Otherwise, the Tiago/Tigor XZ+/XZA+ are outright value for money when compared to competitors and the mid variants themselves.

Check out videos of V3 cars on YouTube. They compare the variants of each car and give a final verdict based on the VFM'ness.
Thanks. Will check it out.
Old 30th March 2021, 08:54   #281
BHPian

Quote:

With Dzire please check the Co Driver seat comfort level. It is very low and sometimes not comfortable on long journeys. My father gets back pain, So check out the co driver seat thoroughly before you buy Dzire.
Ananthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:16   #282
BHPian

Gave for 2nd year service today at derik motors, Trivandrum. Had request pick and drop off.

Total bill was 4000 including 150 for pick drop off. Oil,oil filter,fuel filter and brake fluid were changed and car properly washed .

No unnecessary services were pushed down my throat.

The overall cost is very reasonable . I had a complaint of missing when cold and rough running. Apparently the spark plug gap was high and they corrected it.

Car feels good as new .
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 13:48   #283
BHPian

Hi All,
I have booked a Tigor around 2 weeks back. Yesterday, the sales executive called me to say that the vehicle has reached the yard and they want me to pay some margin money so that invoice it in my name.

When I asked him to get the vehicle to showroom so that I can do PDI and then pay; he said that without the invoice amount, his manager won't let him get the vehicle from the yard based on only the booking amount.

Is this the usual approach (sorry this is my first car so I have no idea)? My concern is that what if while transportation there is a mishap and because the invoice is in my name, they will ask me take it or leave it.

I asked him to confirmed in email that if I am not satisfied after PDI they will allot me a new car. But, not sure how well that would work out.

From the VIN I can decode that the car was manufactured in Apr 2021. I think because the model is not a popular one (Tigor XMA) they are trying to make sure that they will not be stuck with it if I don't take it. From my side I am only worried that I should not be forced to take the delivery in the event there is something wrong in PDI.

Any advices here?
Old 16th April 2021, 13:53   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I asked him to get the vehicle to showroom so that I can do PDI and then pay; he said that without the invoice amount, his manager won't let him get the vehicle from the yard based on only the booking amount.
No dealer would bring the car to showroom for a PDI. For a PDI - you should visit the yard where the car is currently located. That is the standard practice.

Tell them that you will do a PDI at the yard & then make the payment immediately. This is what I have always done with my cars. Don't worry too much about the tiny possibility of a mishap between the yard and showroom after invoicing. This is a risk all of us take. Since the custody remains with the dealer in such setup - the responsibility of repairs / replacement in such cases lies with the dealership, and they cannot run away from it - since the paperwork is entirely with them and not even handed over to you.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 14:46   #285
BHPian

Quote:
No dealer would bring the car to showroom for a PDI. For a PDI - you should visit the yard where the car is currently located. That is the standard practice.
Thank you Reinhard. That clears up my understanding of how PDI is done.
So, I guess he was not lying when he said that invoicing is to be done to get the vehicle in the showroom.

Quote:
Tell them that you will do a PDI at the yard & then make the payment immediately. This is what I have always done with my cars. Don't worry too much about the tiny possibility of a mishap between the yard and showroom after invoicing. This is a risk all of us take. Since the custody remains with the dealer in such setup - the responsibility of repairs / replacement in such cases lies with the dealership, and they cannot run away from it - since the paperwork is entirely with them and not even handed over to you.
Bear with me for another question in this. In the worst case scenario, if there is some major damage to the vehicle while being transported, are dealers usually open to the option to changing the allotted car to a different one? I am ok with smaller issues which can be fixed easily (and I am quite sure the car will have some dents soon once I start using it ).
Almoral is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks