Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 14:55   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor : Official Review

Unsurprisingly Tigor has sold less units (1967) than Zest (2389) in July. The compact sedan segment is cut throat and Tata should have priced the Tigor more aggressively to grab some market share at least initially.

Source of Figures: Autopunditz.
Old 6th August 2017, 22:41   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

A Tata Tigor crossing a completely flooded road near Chhapri check post between Abu Road, Rajasthan and Ambaji, Gujarat sometime in the past week or so.

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 10:29   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Tigor and Tiago both crave for powerful 4cyl engines at least as an option. Tata offered Zest in 75bhp and 90bhp version; same needs to be done with Tigor and Tiago, as both are highly capable packages in their segments. May be Tata has plans for Zest, trying to save it from cannibalization. Doesn't make sense though, as Zest has moved to fleet operators.
Not just the engines, the steering too. On driving it's elder sibling Tigor, IMO, the perception of power and control is hampered by,

1. Too light steering that offers very little feedback - the EPS units in Ford Aspire and VW Polo offer much better feedback and hence the perceived notion of handling.

2. Too linear power delivery and feeling of lack of torque - I might be wrong going by the numbers, but the perception of torque and initial acceleration is better in a Polo 1.2 (3-cyl)

Otherwise, it's a brilliant car with a cool feature set and well priced - almost made it to my list.
Old 19th August 2017, 19:19   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Check out the position of the parking sensors at different levels. The Tiago had all the parking sensors on a single level. The rear bumper houses two safety reflectors. The one on the right is accompanied by a foglamp:
Now here I got the shocker of the day, TAI member Akash got the delivery of his top end Tigor petrol and here is what he discovered in 1 day of ownership (testified by other owners too):

Tigor Rear Fog Lamp Has NO Bulb Inside it!
Old 20th August 2017, 09:47   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A Tata Tigor crossing a completely flooded road near Chhapri check post between Abu Road, Rajasthan and Ambaji, Gujarat sometime in the past week or so.

This is proof that the Tiago and Tigor are likely to better survive flooded Indian roads than some foreign brand cars. I think the difference is mainly the position of the air intake. Some cars have intakes positioned very low to reduce intake noise in the cabin.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 12:27   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Tigor Rear Fog Lamp Has NO Bulb Inside it![/url]
That is reverse gear lamp place and not fog lamp. There is actually only one reverse gear light, the other is only a reflector, other car makers have done this for a long time. Tata used to give two reverse lamps (my nano has two) but they have changed the policy it seems.

Edit: I am confused now as to what it actually is!

Last edited by avingodb : 20th August 2017 at 12:40.
Old 28th August 2017, 15:07   #112
BHPian

Recently I was in the Konkan region for Ganesh Festival and I saw many tigors running around on the ghats. One doesn't see more than 80/100 KMPH on those twisty roads and due to minimal turbo lag I think this car and it's smaller sibling makes good sense there.
Old 28th August 2017, 15:19   #113
BHPian

My friend took delivery of his petrol Tigor in Goa yesterday.
Tata Tigor : Official Review-fb_img_150391314213903.jpeg
Old 29th August 2017, 21:06   #114
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Had a TD of the Tigor, both the diesel and the petrol. The car looks great in person. The build quality is quite good. Infact the doors felt much more solid than the VW Ameo. The music sounds great coming from the combination of those 4 speakers and 4 tweeters.

Coming to the drive, I took out the petrol first. There is no denying that the engine is a bit noisy. The performance is adequate at best. Overall, it was a fairly neutral experience. Then I took out the diesel for a spin. You could instantly feel the vibrations in the car reminding you that there's a diesel engine under the hood. The diesel felt much better to drive though. You can feel a slight boost around the 2000 RPM mark. The diesel would be my choice of engine among the two.

Some common points applicable to the car in general-

1. The steering felt light. Better feedback would have been appreciated.
2. The gearbox was a bit notchy. The engaging of gears is quite decent, however, the real issue is when you try to engage the gears from neutral. It is as if you need to overcome a certain spring like force before you can engage a gear. There is always a certain resistance from the gearbox. It is a far cry from Maruti's or VW's smooth gearboxes. Also, the gearbox vibrates and you can feel this while holding it. This is a basic issue which should not exist in a car.
3. The steering of the diesel car was slightly aligned towards the left while the check engine light symbol was glowing on the petrol's MID. Both of these were fairly new cars.
4. The diesel feels surprisingly peppy. Don't just go by the figures on the paper.

I would like to conclude by saying that while the Tigor is a great package, it is only good for someone giving higher than average priority to features and not the drivetrain. At 7.12L for the top end petrol you can get the Baleno, the Grand i10 Sportz or even Asta after discounts, the Dzire VXI, the Aspire Trend etc. They offer you better engine options with a slight compromise on features. Similar case is there for the diesel option as well. Infact when it comes to diesel, the performance gap widens even further with the entry of those torquey 1.5 diesels from VW and Ford. When you compare this to the Tiago's case, it is no secret why it sells much more. It is a much superior product compared to the competition like the Maruti Celerio, Wagon-R or the Beat. Whereas the Tigor has to compete with cars from a segment above when compared to its hatchback sibling.

Last edited by AYP : 29th August 2017 at 21:16.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 11:12   #115
BHPian

I just saw this video. Seems incredibly dangerous! How did the car get through that?
Old 31st August 2017, 23:13   #116
BHPian

Akshay380 - nice colour, well of your friend's car.

Looks like I am zeroing in on Tigor petrol after going thru all the reviews of Tigor, Dzire and Baleno. Any ownership experience sharer???
Old 6th September 2017, 13:11   #117
Senior - BHPian

August Sales Numbers

Tigor - 2103
Zest - 1743

Aspire - 1392
Ameo - 1408
Amaze - 1928
Xcent - 3467

Not giving Dzire numbers as it is irrelevant.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 09:40   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors will soon introduce the XM variant, in both fuel types, for the Tigor sedan. It should reach showrooms by the third week of September.

Tata Tigor : Official Review-tatatigorxmvariant.jpg
(Source)
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:35   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update on the launch of the AMT variant in Tigor?
Old 7th September 2017, 15:59   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
August Sales Numbers

Tigor - 2103
Zest - 1743

Aspire - 1392
Ameo - 1408
Amaze - 1928
Xcent - 3467

Not giving Dzire numbers as it is irrelevant.
Interesting to see that both Tigor and Zest are selling more than the Aspire which is a much more powerful car. Evidently people are conscious about FE & the bells and whistles are making a difference in this segment viz-a-viz price.

Zest's numbers are still higher than the Aspire and not too far from the Amaze but no doubt that they are all XE/XM being sold with yellow plates and very few private buyers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks