Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 23:15   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ahem! Comparing one number alone doesn't show the full picture. Compare with all the below figures of the Tigor diesel below, since you have taken Etios diesel figures in comparison.
That's what 'not measure by same yard sticks' means. As a product, every car has its pluses and minuses. Every time I sit in a Etios or Liva, I feel like rushing out - such horrid cars. Console, plastics, comfort, seats - everything is so bad. Tigor is leagues ahead of those products in everything except the engines. Somehow, foreign car makers are not bashed for significant issues in their products. Look at issues in 25L Innova or Honda City giving trouble after 70-80k kms. Honda sales and service experience is headed South for a long time now.

Tata had to price it right and hence engines are what these are. They were trying to charge just a wee bit more than expected. That they have fixed and post-GST prices are finger-licking good. At that price, with almost a 1.8-1.9L difference with top end Dzire, I am not complaining about a slower engine.
5kmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 00:20   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Somehow, foreign car makers are not bashed for significant issues in their products. Look at issues in 25L Innova or Honda City giving trouble after 70-80k kms. Honda sales and service experience is headed South for a long time now.
Might want to check who started the whole thread on the City.

A weakness is a weakness and I don't see any point not to speak out because it is a TATA. And no one is denying the good points Tigor brings to the table. It might be a good city car, has decent driveability, a great music system, good build quality and decent interiors.

But a well rounded car it certainly is not thanks to very poor highway performance with those engines. And for most people buying their cars as the single car of the family, that makes it a poor choice outright for this reason alone. Not sure why it's so hard to accept the negatives along with the positives.

And for the same reason, the sales are not going to sky rocket and probably settle around the 2k mark maximum for the long run. And thats just my prediction and nothing more. Can wait and watch.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th July 2017 at 00:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 09:42   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
it is the sales numbers which depict the success or failure of a car. The monthly sales numbers will confirm that shortly.
Pure business and profit agrees with this. But by this logic all Maruti cars would always be among the best when we know they arent. Sales figures can tell you who made most profit, not whose product is the best. Two completely different things.
uthra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 12:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthra View Post
Pure business and profit agrees with this. But by this logic all Maruti cars would always be among the best when we know they arent. Sales figures can tell you who made most profit, not whose product is the best. Two completely different things.
Maruti doesn't makes the best cars, but they do make the cars which public wants. The compact sedan segment is not an enthusiast segment, it's a volume segment and volumes is what Tata wants!!

Coming to the best product, then Tigor is definitely not the best CS. No one can say which CS is best, as everybody's preferences and viewpoints are different!!
So, what is the yardstick then? Sales numbers, which show who is segment leader and Dzire has held that position and continues to do so.
Old 8th July 2017, 14:53   #95
Senior - BHPian

I had been to a Tata showroom ( not a main show roon, a satellite one) to have a good look at Tigor. They had a petrol one in display and they didnt have a TD, either a petrol or a diesel.

I sat in the rear and then in the driving seat. Foot well is adequate, driving position is good but what I didnot like is the length of the dash from windshield, its almost Dziresque. Of course, that is the norm but having become used to the Zest's, it did feel big and windshield distant.

Rear seat has good space and the backrest is a bit high, almost Logan like.

Main point of my visit was to drive the diesel to ascertain how is the engine as I have been looking at comments pointing at the weak engine and that how lethargic it would be.

How I like to be informed by an owner of Tigor about the engine, driveability and fuel consumption !!!!
Old 11th July 2017, 13:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:

A weakness is a weakness and I don't see any point not to speak out because it is a TATA. And no one is denying the good points Tigor brings to the table. It might be a good city car, has decent driveability, a great music system, good build quality and decent interiors.

But a well rounded car it certainly is not thanks to very poor highway performance with those engines. And for most people buying their cars as the single car of the family, that makes it a poor choice outright for this reason alone. Not sure why it's so hard to accept the negatives along with the positives.

And for the same reason, the sales are not going to sky rocket and probably settle around the 2k mark maximum for the long run. And thats just my prediction and nothing more. Can wait and watch.
Agree. No denying the negatives or the positives of any product

Engines are not great. Maybe more like 7/10 types. Should be fine in city, though noise will be the deal breaker for many. Best thing would have been to avoid the 'placing it half a segment lower than Zest' hole Tata dug for Tigor
5kmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:55   #97
BHPian

Ratan Tata is usually very responsive to customer feedback. Should we send him a letter (signed by all of us) telling him how much we love this car and want 4 cyl engine options too!

Of course it will be a properly worded letter with details, comparisons, reasons, etc

Engine maketh the car!
Old 14th July 2017, 13:46   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I had been to a Tata showroom ( not a main show roon, a satellite one) to have a good look at Tigor. They had a petrol one in display and they didnt have a TD, either a petrol or a diesel.
How I like to be informed by an owner of Tigor about the engine, driveability and fuel consumption !!!!
Tata simply cannot be so complacent to turn away their prospective customers like this. Try dropping them a mail or contacting their sales support for a test drive. Hopefully, they'll start asking you to do a TD. And make sure you ask them to bring the car to your location, and ensure its a diesel ( as there have been plenty of instances where folks have been asked to come for a TD and have been bait and switched to a different vehicle
Old 14th July 2017, 17:43   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Tata simply cannot be so complacent to turn away their prospective customers like this. Try dropping them a mail or contacting their sales support for a test drive. Hopefully, they'll start asking you to do a TD. And make sure you ask them to bring the car to your location, and ensure its a diesel ( as there have been plenty of instances where folks have been asked to come for a TD and have been bait and switched to a different vehicle
simplyself went to a "satellite" showroom. If its some sort of a marketing outlet like they have attached to malls etc, then it is understandable that there was no TD vehicle. At least in my city, all cars are readily available for TD in the major showrooms. And that's not new, its been the case since some years now.

Also - if simplyself went only to experience the engine and doesn't have an interest in actually buying the car, taking the efforts to get a TD may not be worth it .
Old 15th July 2017, 08:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Also - if simplyself went only to experience the engine and doesn't have an interest in actually buying the car, taking the efforts to get a TD may not be worth it .
Bang on target.☺

I went to test drive the car not for myself but for a friend who was along with me at that time.

He was a bit interested and asked my opinion about Tigor. I said I had been hearing about weak engine and suggested a test drive.

When I said about hearing from owners, I was referring to all the comments about weak engine from people like I, and not many from the ones who actually own and drive the car.

I am not in market to buy a new car; I am a proud and very happy owner of 2014 Zest XM QJD.

Last edited by simplyself : 15th July 2017 at 09:03.
Old 15th July 2017, 15:40   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
simplyself went to a "satellite" showroom. If its some sort of a marketing outlet like they have attached to malls etc, then it is understandable that there was no TD vehicle. .
Sorry for not answering it in my previous my previous post. The satellite showroom is a branch of main showroom located in another town. It has full fledged workshop too.
Old 21st July 2017, 18:45   #102
BHPian

Quote:

A weakness is a weakness and I don't see any point not to speak out because it is a TATA. And no one is denying the good points Tigor brings to the table. It might be a good city car, has decent drivability, a great music system, good build quality and decent interiors.

Exactly my thoughts, I'd TD it's smaller sibling Tiago earlier and was blown-away with the interiors, build quality, music system and even the sales experience. (folks came home with for a long-TD on Sunday noon, as promised)
However, as I cranked the engine, it was such a downer - 4 people in the car on city-road, and it needed every-bit of patience while it accelerated.

Now, interiors and features are important to me (hint: never stepped inside a Maruti showroom ), but engine is sacrosanct!
Had to regret letting go such a beauty go off my list. If only Tata had given a powerful 4-cylinder engine to the siblings for some extra cash, it'd have many buyers like me.

Note - I'm not bashing Tata or ignoring shortcoming of other manufacturers, just an honest opinion on why it didn't make it.
Shortly after this TD, I picked up the Ecosport, and again the much acclaimed Brezza from Maruti did not get a TD

Last edited by anurag.somani : 21st July 2017 at 18:47.
anurag.somani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:35   #103
BHPian

I own a Tiago. I've done 7500 km in 9 months. Mileage is around 14.5 km/lit average over winter and summer. It is fun to drive in the city without the AC and there is no problem with acceleration provided one gets into 3rd gear quickly and keeps revs above 1800 rpm. With the AC on it's a slightly different story and the car is lethargic till it gets to around 1600-1700 rpm. Again it helps to get into 3rd gear as early as possible. The mileage takes a hit and I get around 13 in the horrible Delhi traffic. It takes an experienced driver to get the above mileage. I can see a first time driver standing on the accelerator and getting around 11 km/lit. Obviously he will be put off. The main problem is the low torque which makes it difficult to get the car to a reasonable speed from a standing start.

In my view the car is good for someone who wants a small car in the city and is not a first time owner of a car. Hence, the idea of TML to get this car to appeal to youngsters is dead anyway. Young people like speed and acceleration! The problem is to get a car with great acceleration requires more bhp/tonne and more torque. Unfortunately it comes with either a very light car which is flimsy and less safe or with a more powerful engine. If you want a sturdy car with good acceleration then you should be prepared to pay more. TML has made a compromise which might turn out bad for them.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:57   #104
BHPian

Test drove Tata Tigor on saturday. Quite a impressive package by Tata. Was not happy with the 3 cylinder engine, it definitely was audible inside. Superb audio set with speakers (Harman). Tata suspension were fabulous, did not feel a thing when it was taken on a complete pathetic patch of road.

Back seats were not the traditional Tata, where we can actually fold your legs and sit, but this one can take only 2 adults for a comfortable seating.

With the new Dzire, Amaze, Xcent for a competition, I would say it is a brilliant package of 7.4L OTR BLR for a top trim.
itzvicky201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:10   #105
BHPian

Tigor and Tiago both crave for powerful 4cyl engines at least as an option. Tata offered Zest in 75bhp and 90bhp version; same needs to be done with Tigor and Tiago, as both are highly capable packages in their segments. May be Tata has plans for Zest, trying to save it from cannibalization. Doesn't make sense though, as Zest has moved to fleet operators.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks