Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 09:12   #46
BHPian

Maruti Dzire : Official Review

Owners, please update any issues on Ground clearance, since it was lowered slightly. The reduction is negligible, 7mm, but If the suspension is set to soft, we may face issues of scrapping the speed breakers.

What would be the GC, if it's measured with the current regulations (With 400 kgs load)?

Last edited by jaaz : 12th July 2017 at 09:14.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 11:21   #47

Re: Maruti Dzire : Official Review

My 2 cents.

Very good report. Good car but not value for money.

Overpriced considering the quality compared to others in the market.

But as usual will sell due to market dynamics of price sensitivity.

Personally don't think it adds upto to cost effectiveness over the long run as service costs of MSIL as not cheap anymore.

Plus safety is a big concern as well.

Apurva
apurvapg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 12:05   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Having owned the 2014 dzire for 1.5 years(bought a ciaz and kwid post) and covering 89k kilometers on it, here are my views.
You did 89k kms in 1.5 years?!
Old 12th July 2017, 14:00   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove alongside the new dZire for nearly 15 minutes today. Must say, the vehicle looked pretty smart and with a mature design. Bling was restrained but maybe slightly too much chrome for my liking.

Never thought I would appreciate a dZire but there you are!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 17:26   #50
BHPian

Super review. Obviously gets a 5-star rating!

The Dzire petrol AMT seems like a good option for a city runabout car. Will check it out as part of my list of cars for replacement of the previous generation Dzire which I currently have for home duty. Other car being considered is the Brezza, but that will only be considered if it comes in petrol / AT.

Waiting times will be the challenge I feel in either car.
avdhesh15 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 18:23   #51
BHPian

Whatever said and done, the car is a cracker just because of the fuel efficiency numbers! With 37 litres of tank and 28 kmpl, the range is massive 1036 kms. Even with fuel average of 25 kmpl, the range is 900+ kms. Many cars can only go 500 kms on a full tank if driven sedately.
So in theory, I can go to Gurgaon/Delhi from Jaipur twice on a single tank !!
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 18:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
A peek inside the Dzire's factory

The assembly line uses 'Pika Pika' - a foolproof process under which, an alarm rings and the production line stops moving forward if a wrong part is lifted by a worker. The system also specifies (in red) the part that is wrongly picked:
Aditya, it is called "Poka-Yoke". A Japanese term for mistake proofing in manufacturing shop floor. This was introduced by Toyota Motor Corp as a part of their Toyota Production System (TPS) which follows lean manufacturing principles. Nowadays this is being used by almost all industries to reduce defects/errors to make the process lean.
pranavGTI is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 19:14   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Missed a couple of points in the previous post yesterday.

1. I'm amazed that the tool kit doesn't have a basic spanner, screw driver. These are a must in any tool kit but its something that MSIL has never agreed to & continues that way.
2. The front side air-con vents are probably lifted from Mattel/Hotwheels bin. Seriously? That bland? A WagonR has 10 times better looking vents. What were the designers thinking? Or they simply forgot to garnish here?
3. The glove box is best suitable for a 10 year old 2 generation old compact hatchback at most. Its the cheapest I have seen in some time now. In a 1 million rupee car? And top it with rattling at speeds and not properly closing.
4. No comments about the sheet metal and light build.

Contrary to my previous post, I suddenly started disliking this car a bit...
Old 12th July 2017, 19:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualdanger View Post
Wonderfully detailed review; great stuff Aditya.

Certainly agree that the Dzire has been greatly improved. The amount of features offered are quite impressive; just a decade ago one needed to get a premium D segment car for features that have become so mainstream now.

That said, with no offence intended to Dzire owners and aspiring Dzire owners, i'd still write off the Dzire as aimed at mass-market appeal, and very little else. The design has improved, but personally I still find it ugly. The only somewhat attractive picture was the front 3-quarter shot, in Oxford Blue. The rear design remind me of the Honda Amaze, which is sadly one of the least good looking Honda's.

In-spite of all of that, I expect that it will sell like crazy, owing to its mass-market appeal, based on perhaps unreasonable fanfare and loyalty. Oh well.....
Sir. It is not unreasonable fanfare. The Dzire means many things to the middle class Indian. Its an upgrade from the ubiquitous Alto. Its dual purpose of serving as a car which can go to the local market without sweating over tight parking spaces, as well as doing the airport runs & welcome the in laws in a 'sedan'.

Its ability to be driven in everyday traffic as well as an efficient touring companion without burning a hole in the pocket.

Its the right balance between ride & handling, between being frugal at the same time trendy. The list can go on a bit further. At the end of the day its a package which feels as one's hard earned money well spent. And that is why it drives India crazy!
jayram.r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 08:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Missed a couple of points in the previous post yesterday.

1. I'm amazed that the tool kit doesn't have a basic spanner, screw driver. These are a must in any tool kit but its something that MSIL has never agreed to & continues that way.
2. The front side air-con vents are probably lifted from Mattel/Hotwheels bin. Seriously? That bland? A WagonR has 10 times better looking vents. What were the designers thinking? Or they simply forgot to garnish here?
3. The glove box is best suitable for a 10 year old 2 generation old compact hatchback at most. Its the cheapest I have seen in some time now. In a 1 million rupee car? And top it with rattling at speeds and not properly closing.
4. No comments about the sheet metal and light build.

Contrary to my previous post, I suddenly started disliking this car a bit...
Very Keen observations Reinhard. Which other manufacturer provides an AMT(Diesel) unit with a price tag of 9 lacs OTR(Hyderabad).

For Tata Zest you need add additional 85k and for VW AMEO 1.7 lacs.(Source Carwale)

Would be interesting to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Dzire : Official Review-dzire.jpg  

Old 13th July 2017, 09:00   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Very Keen observations Reinhard. Which other manufacturer provides an AMT(Diesel) unit with a price tag of 9 lacs OTR(Hyderabad).

For Tata Zest you need add additional 85k and for VW AMEO 1.7 lacs.(Source Carwale)

Would be interesting to know.
Hello Zaveed, since I wasn't comparing cars nor their prices, I dont quite get why you are so unhappy.

However, to put the numbers right, you are comparing a Zest XTA with a lower variant of the dZire which is odd.
Top of the line dZire automatic costs way over 10L.
If you want to compare a VDI, it kind of matches more or less with Zest XMA which is 90ps (I may be mistaken).

Anyway, this wasn't my point at all. If customers are fine with some cheap bits and unnecessary omissions when paying that amount of own money, why would I have a problem?

I have only said I started disliking the car which I originally said I like a lot. I didn't say people shouldn't like it.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th July 2017 at 09:02.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 09:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hello Zaveed, since I wasn't comparing cars nor their prices, I dont quite get why you are so unhappy.

However, to put the numbers right, you are comparing a Zest XTA with a lower variant of the dZire which is odd.
Top of the line dZire automatic costs way over 10L.
If you want to compare a VDI, it kind of matches more or less with Zest XMA which is 90ps (I may be mistaken).

Anyway, this wasn't my point at all. If customers are fine with some cheap bits and unnecessary omissions when paying that amount of own money, why would I have a problem?

I have only said I started disliking the car which I originally said I like a lot. I didn't say people shouldn't like it.

Hi Reinhard, No i am not unhappy. Just making sure that i did not miss out on any other vehicle available that i should look at before taking the plunge.

My apologies, I selected the incorrect variant on the comparison, yes Tata Zest XMA is 13k Lesser that Dzire VDI variant. I might need to visit the showroom for a TD i guess.

Thanks
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 13:31   #58
BHPian

There is no doubt that Maruti is an excellent car maker. When you drive Maruti cars, you will feel that the car is very good and very competent.

But there is something about Hyundai cars that Maruti cars will never have. The sheer quality and class of interiors, design, engine, etc are far ahead of Maruti.

I'd prefer Eon, grandi10, elitei20, xcent, verna to alto, swift, baleno, dzire and ciaz.

Why?
Eon - Alto : Eon is simple classier at that price point. the entry level car buyer gets more spacious and excellent interiors.

Grandi10 - Swift: The sheer quality of the grandi10 just blows the Swift away

Elitei20 vs Baleno: I dont think I need to say anything here! i20 is just amazzinngg

Xcent vs Dzire: The xcent quality and fit and finish are simple too good. I dont think Dzire can match the Xcent in terms of look and feel! Plus, the engines are very good too alongwith the TC unit in the petrol auto

verna vs ciaz: I have never liked the ciaz. drove it a lot and never liked it. The feel that verna gives is a class apart. of course, the specifics such as engine, quality etc are better on the verna too. Look out for the new verna!!

Only other car maker that can kill Hyundai is Toyota but their plans for India are very passive! Give the Indian buyer the Brazilian Etios and see if they buy anything else.
sjain2054 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 13:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
\

But there is something about Hyundai cars that Maruti cars will never have. The sheer quality and class of interiors, design, engine, etc are far ahead of Maruti.

I'd prefer Eon, grandi10, elitei20, xcent, verna to alto, swift, baleno, dzire and ciaz.
All cars have their share of pros & cons. While Hyundai cars have good look & feel (interior quality etc) like you mentioned, most of them lack the fun to drive factor which is equally important for enthusiasts. Marutis are generally better in that department. We have owned a Swift for 5 years & I currently have a Hyundai Xcent, so I believe I am well qualified to respond to this Xcent cannot hold a candle to the driving experience that Swift offers. It finally boils down to personal choice & priorities!What works for one person may not work for others.
AkMar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 14:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

My views on the comparisons made:

Quote:
Eon - Alto : Eon is simple classier at that price point. the entry level car buyer gets more spacious and excellent interiors.
Agree with comparison. I owned a second hand Eon and while buying I compared with the Alto and the Eon felt generations ahead in all aspects. However I felt the Hyundai Service to be a major harassment. Unless you are vigilant they will loot you.

Quote:
Grandi10 - Swift: The sheer quality of the grandi10 just blows the Swift away
I would say replace the Swift with Ignis and Ignis is a better deal in some aspects with Maruti offering ABS/EBD and Dual Airbags as standard across the range. I do own the Ignis currently and made the decision after comparing with the Grand i10.

I am skipping on the Xcent and i20 as I am not personally familiar with those vehicles much and not competent to comment there with just knowledge of paper specs. Although I would advice people to be careful buying a 3 cylinder diesel engine from Hyundai - I had the Accent CRDi and it gave up at 90K odd kms on the odo.

Quote:
verna vs ciaz: I have never liked the ciaz. drove it a lot and never liked it. The feel that verna gives is a class apart. of course, the specifics such as engine, quality etc are better on the verna too. Look out for the new verna!!
Here is where I completely disagree. The Verna has awful rear seats and a terrible suspension. No amount of gizmos can counter such major fundamental flaws in design. My cousin owns a Verna and I feel bad when I travel in the rear seat of his car on long journeys. The car bottoms out easily despite a suspension upgrade that Hyundai did on it. I had owned an Accent CRDi earlier and was aspiring to be a Verna owner and it completely disappointed me. I would say the Ciaz is a much better car and this segment I would only consider the City or the Ciaz and I do own the City. I sincerely hope Hyundai overcomes these basic flaws in the next gen Verna.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th July 2017 at 14:28.
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed