Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 12:29   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgovin01 View Post
Thanks, have checked the link for LED DRLs. Just to confirm, did you install them yourself or from workshop? Also wanted to highlight that your ownership thread was very helpful in my decision making, so Thank you!
Welcome and happy to share my knowledge with fellow TBHPians!
I am a DIY kind of guy and love to do these things myself.
Installing the DRL Bulbs is quite easy and they are plug an play. You just need to open the wheel well Liner (4 screws) and then hold back the Liner. You will be able to access the DRL Bulb (twist to unlock). Once that this out, replace with the LED DRL bulb and reverse twist to lock. The bulb replacement on one side takes around 10 min. However if you are not keen on doing it yourself, you can head down to the FNG (friendly neighbourhood garage) guy and explain it to them. They should be able to do it easily, but get it done in front of you, to avoid any damage as many FNG guys are very prone to using force rather than correct technique to open things!
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 16:47   #1502

Surprised to come across an article like this in such a gloomy automotive market. Wondering what the reason for this could be?

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ales-24147.htm
Old 11th September 2019, 19:39   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs_maverick View Post
Surprised to come across an article like this in such a gloomy automotive market. Wondering what the reason for this could be?

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ales-24147.htm
It is because FCA are not smart enough to market jeep intelligently. Kia and MG has great marketing strategy despite their products not been so outstanding. Indian people seek value for their money. If FCA starts advertising about the price of compass in UK, Australia and other countries and prices of other premium cars like 3 series ,Tiguan, etc relative to compass in those countries and India then we Indians may perceive its value quotient and stop comparing it to creta ,etc.. And watch the sales zoom.And lastly the most important weapon they have...their engines which they are providing to other players on the strength of which other players are knocking FCA down. For example take the multijet from swift and then measure its success. For short term gain or profits they are shooting themselves on their feet.
Old 18th September 2019, 18:45   #1504
BHPian

No better time for #JEEPLIFE !
Book Jeep Compass, India's most trusted brand this Sept starting @ 14.99 Lacs* & get assured Gold Coin* . Also get assured Jeep merchandise* on taking Test Drive.
Landmark Jeep
*T&C apply.

Received this text few minutes back. Seems like MG and KIA woke them from there deep slumber.
Akash86M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 19:26   #1505
BHPian

So I had a pretty interesting experience with the Jeep dealership here in Mumbai. There are two dealerships in Mumbai owned by the same company Landmark; one in Andheri and one in Worli. I was in touch with the sales executive at the Worli dealership however ended up walking into the other outlet at Andheri last week and met the sales manager. I told him that I was looking for a Petrol Automatic and considering the Seltos however since I heard Jeep is offering discounts I dont mind stretching my budget a little and going for a Compass Limited Plus. The gentleman almost mockingly asks me "Sir who has told you about discounts on Compass and specially Limited Plus Petrol, as it is our hot selling product". I somehow manage to control both my anger and laughter specially for the "hot selling product" part and ask him if he can consider offering me some deal if I buy two cars (I need one car for myself and another one for my mother in law), but Mr. Manager looses none of his attitude and again tells me "Sir all the cars are sold out we dont have any vehicles in stock so how can I offer you a discount", by then i just could not control myself so only reminded him that in the last month they have sold only about 500 cars across the country which really shows how hot their sales are and walked out of the showroom.

Later in the day received a call from the sales executive from Worli showroom who I had been in touch with and he offered me a discount of 50k first and then over the same call extended it to a maximum of 80k. So seems like even with the turbulent times Jeep and their dealers are still not ready to accept what is actually going wrong for them and other manufacturers.
vvb8530 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 22:11   #1506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash86M View Post
No better time for #JEEPLIFE !
Book Jeep Compass, India's most trusted brand this Sept starting @ 14.99 Lacs* & get assured Gold Coin* . Also get assured Jeep merchandise* on taking Test Drive.
Landmark Jeep
*T&C apply.

Received this text few minutes back. Seems like MG and KIA woke them from there deep slumber.
What they need is a proper price cut and an AT and 4X4 options in the lower trim levels. I think they can easily discount the Sport Plus Diesel variant by 2 Lakhs and bring it just under 15 lakhs. Add a 4X4 sport plus Diesel for a lakh more and it is now going to start looking very interesting. A nice 4X4 Diesel under 20 lakh on-road would be a killer. There is no other good 4X4 offering in this price range except the Hexa and the ancient Mahindra models - Scorpio and XUV 500.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 00:19   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
What they need is a proper price cut and an AT and 4X4 options in the lower trim levels. I think they can easily discount the Sport Plus Diesel variant by 2 Lakhs and bring it just under 15 lakhs.
My exact thoughts. Their reluctance on bringing AT in sport variant is going against them. MG and KIA are capitalizing on the 10L - 20L bracket.

Seltos has 9 AT variants, those are some serious option. Only top AT variant is above 20L. Shows KIA's determination in dominating sub 20L bracket.

Hector has got two AT, both under 20L

Compass has 7 AT options, all over 20L. Jeep wants to maintaining their premium ness that they are reluctant to do anything. And there is no Renegade in sight either
Old 19th September 2019, 15:56   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
It is because FCA are not smart enough to market jeep intelligently. Kia and MG has great marketing strategy.............. their engines which they are providing to other players on the strength of which other players are knocking FCA down. For example take the multijet from swift and then measure its success. For short term gain or profits they are shooting themselves on their feet.

While i agree marketing on the KIA and MG was outstanding, you are not right on the engine sharing comment. FCA made a lot of money by the engines sold. Swift was a great product when it was launched 15 years ago. it would survive only on the petrol engine. If swift didnt have a mjd, not many would have picked up punto. they never believed in Fiat. that too in collaboration with Tata. And the reason is known to all by now. Fiat shut shops. Its a different story that i owned a punto, linea and 2 more palios and never a maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
"Sir who has told you about discounts on Compass and specially Limited Plus Petrol, as it is our hot selling product".

Discounts do not set the right image for a brand. But neither does that attidude. we indians love discounts and deals. Heck, why indians, consumers over the world love that. He should have been apologetic for bringing you discount instead of the hot selling comment. Great that you ended with 80k offer. what was it on the diesel compass ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
A nice 4X4 Diesel under 20 lakh on-road would be a killer. There is no other good 4X4 offering in this price range except the Hexa and the ancient Mahindra models - Scorpio and XUV 500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash86M View Post
My exact thoughts. Their reluctance on bringing AT in sport variant is going against them. MG and KIA are capitalizing on the 10L - 20L bracket.

the comparison with Mahindra MG and Kia is absured guys. swift has crossed 10L pricing where i live. and you guys want 4x4 jeep for 20? Compass pricing is sweet and has always been. We should expect better audio and creature comforts than a price cut. While size disappointed average buyers, it was the the Audio, wind noise and missing buttons on the steering on the lovely steering was very stupid for me.

I was at service centre yesterday, i checked on the spares prices. Brake pads about 4.5 k, disc at 12k, struts at 7k, clutch kit price dropped from 40 to 16k .To give you better understand, creta/verna brake pads 7k. Hyundai suspension parts are more costlier than my skoda RS.
blackbeast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 16:46   #1509
BHPian

I hardly see a Sport or Sport Plus model on the roads. Even Longitudes are hard to come by. 90% of them are Limited or Limited Plus. People with a 20L budget, eyeing the Sport variants mostly end up buying top end Cretas, where they get excellent value. I don't think Jeep would gain anything by playing the value card.
Old 19th September 2019, 18:03   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I hardly see a Sport or Sport Plus model on the roads. Even Longitudes are hard to come by. 90% of them are Limited or Limited Plus. People with a 20L budget, eyeing the Sport variants mostly end up buying top end Cretas, where they get excellent value. I don't think Jeep would gain anything by playing the value card.
Exactly, I second your opinion. They should throw some flimsy features like others which doesn't cost them much but are sought after by Indian people .But the things Jeep are offering at the price like 2 liter engine,safety features, premium quality inside out ,very solid build and go every where ability. Consider all these and joy it offers in terms of driving pleasure it is I think a good value if you exclude Trailhawk variant as of today.Trailhawk will look not so steeply priced when BS6 norms kick in and other manufacturers will also relatively increase their prices. And remember one thing you have to pay a price for buying something unique ,exclusive and capable and I think Trailhawk embodies all these virtues and somethings more too.
Old 21st September 2019, 14:31   #1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
I was at service centre yesterday, i checked on the spares prices. Brake pads about 4.5 k, disc at 12k, struts at 7k, clutch kit price dropped from 40 to 16k .To give you better understand, creta/verna brake pads 7k. Hyundai suspension parts are more costlier than my skoda RS.
This is really good news. Since I am about to buy and hopefully will convince many new buyers.
Old 21st September 2019, 15:31   #1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
.... While size disappointed average buyers, it was the the Audio, wind noise and missing buttons on the steering on the lovely steering was very stupid for me. ....

What's the issue or missing thing you find about audio in Jeep Compass, I found it pretty good in demo and TD. Compared to seltos which sucks as per me. Harrier is very good as well as per reviews but I personally haven't compared. When u say can be improved are u comparing this with higher segment cars or brands or some specific cars audio within 15-25 lac range?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st September 2019 at 16:29. Reason: Please do not quote full posts and no SMS language please.
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:09   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu.ar83 View Post
What's the issue or missing thing you find about audio in Jeep Compass, I found it pretty good in demo and TD. Compared to seltos which sucks as per me. Harrier is very good as well as per reviews but I personally haven't compared. When u say can be improved are u comparing this with higher segment cars or brands or some specific cars audio within 15-25 lac range?
I havn't heard seltos audio and hence cannot comment. Competitors are tied up with harman, bose etc . Good audio should be able to produce similar SQ equivalent to 50 to 70k of after market upgrades. inbuilt dsp and woofer should find its way in.
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:40   #1514
BHPian

After having driven the compass for over 30k kilometres, let me sum up my comments on the ride. It is the second best driver's car in the segment after the Octavia. People have complained about the interiors, but nothing drastic. The only pro/con for me in the compass is the ride quality. The suspension is very much on the softer side. While this is bad for highways where you will be switching lanes ever so often, in the city this is a boon. I considered remapping and lowering my car, but the comfort levels on broken roads seems to be too much to compromise on, and I've been holding back on the remaps. The car is a perfect city car, atleast the manual version anyways , where it glides over bumps. On the highway, there's too much body roll for my liking, but if you drive reasonably, it should be perfectly airtight. There's no car that's perfect, unless it's got adaptive suspension, so in this price range, the best SUV is the Compass. You might have complaints about their marketing team, but hey, that's why you're on team bhp where you get direct information from owners, right?
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:21   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
After having driven the compass for over 30k kilometres, let me sum up my comments on the ride. It is the second best driver's car in the segment after the Octavia. People have complained about the interiors, but nothing drastic. The only pro/con for me in the compass is the ride quality. The suspension is very much on the softer side. While this is bad for highways where you will be switching lanes ever so often, in the city this is a boon. I considered remapping and lowering my car, but the comfort levels on broken roads seems to be too much to compromise on, and I've been holding back on the remaps. The car is a perfect city car, atleast the manual version anyways , where it glides over bumps. On the highway, there's too much body roll for my liking, but if you drive reasonably, it should be perfectly airtight. There's no car that's perfect, unless it's got adaptive suspension, so in this price range, the best SUV is the Compass. You might have complaints about their marketing team, but hey, that's why you're on team bhp where you get direct information from owners, right?
I don't fully agree with your observations sir. The reason for my buying the compass was it being one of the best for self driving person. It cannot beat cars like Octavia in driving pleasure but it has its other virtues. I find it better suitable for highways than in the city. At city speeds the suspension is a bit stiff and you can feel big potholes but it is rock solid at highway speeds even at some insane speeds.I am no expert but I think I has a adapative frequency damping suspension (FSD).

Most Viewed