Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 00:58   #1681
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This channel has excellent offroading content and generally push the cars off road properly. Not the silly demo runs that manufacturers set up for press events.

The Trailhawk is nowhere near the Fortuner/Endeavour/Thar. Buy a regular Compass for touring and buy something else if you want to off road.
Yesterday while coming back from Mashobra to Shimla I got stuck very badly in snow and even after my friend had put his 4x4 Gypsy in 4L and with locked freewheeling hubs but with some non AT tyres "Because his Geo's were at home" which resulted in us getting stuck thrice "All 4 spun but no grip" and had it not been for others and I pushing the dam thing we would have still been there.
Old 15th December 2019, 22:41   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Hi friends, I would like to know if cruise control can be fitted after market in the empty or dummy switch slot in j.compass . I randomly saw a cruise control switch for Jeep Compass on a online platform. On enquiring from the seller I was told that it is simple plug in switch that can be fitted in dummy switch slot and can be activated by visiting jeep showroom.
Am afraid Our ECU's aren't set to accept that and more over i don't guess Service Center guys in india would have the knowledge of going out of syllabus (even though it might be a simple Boolean value change from 0 to 1 - just for example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4 View Post
Having cancelled my booking for Seltos GTX+ 7DCT because of its pricing, I started to evaluate other options and narrowed it down to the Jeep Compass.

Jeep dealer is offering a 2018 Compass Limited 4X4 (Dec '18 manufactured) as part of stock clearance for 23 L (I can negotiate another 40-50k). On comparison, the on-road price for the same variant is 26.4 L (Aug '19 manufactured). The sales person said it was kept inside the showroom for 5 months (verified) and at the open stockyard thereafter, for 2+ months. It was not used as a test drive vehicle. I had a look at the vehicle and didn’t find any issues/abuse. It looked like a new car. Odometer reading was 120.

Do you guys think it's wise to go for it? Thanks in advance!
Hi Even i have cancelled Seltos and went for Compass.. Welcome to FCA Family

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th December 2019 at 22:50. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
a.ashokdurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 07:58   #1683
Mik
BHPian

I took an extended test drive of the Compass Diesel as i have been considering it. Went in with giddy excitement and more or less the compass is what i thought it would be.
However, i did feel that there is excessive body roll on sudden direction changes. This issue is concerning to me as i am a bit of a spirited driver around corners and in the hills. I didn't feel this much body roll on the duster and seltos (other cars in my shortlist)
Is my observation consistent with others or an outlier.
Old 18th December 2019, 10:04   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I took an extended test drive of the Compass Diesel as i have been considering it. Went in with giddy excitement and more or less the compass is what i thought it would be.
However, i did feel that there is excessive body roll on sudden direction changes. This issue is concerning to me as i am a bit of a spirited driver around corners and in the hills. I didn't feel this much body roll on the duster and seltos (other cars in my shortlist)
I own a JC Diesel MT, I have not seen any body roll, it is a far superior ride when you compare with Seltos. Dont think Compass and Seltos are comparable on the 'Ride' quality aspects. You might want to try again on another test drive vehicle.
daisyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:54   #1685
BHPian

HI, My J.C diesel today showed the msg to change engine oil in msg section of MID.lt was serviced about 2 months back and driven only about 4000 Kms . The service due section shows 305 days or 10500 Kms. I checked oil manually , it looks fine with no significant discolouration. Talked to my service advisor with whom I have good rapport, he said no need to worry and drive as usual as he has seen this type of msg on quite a few cars after sevice. I am a bit apprehensive as I have topped with about 300 ml same grade oil after few days of service as nearest service station is about 120 Kms. Please advice.It is pertinent to mention that weather was very cold today about 7 degrees Celsius.
Old 30th December 2019, 01:01   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
However, i did feel that there is excessive body roll on sudden direction changes.
Yep, that is a consistent observation. On the highways, I try to keep quick lane changes to a minimum due to the excessive body roll. The power is great and the brakes are solid, but the suspension is on the softer side. However, you wouldn't be complaining on horrible patches of roads. The suspension performs admirably within the city where you'd sweat if you were in a sedan. The Octavia is your go to vehicle if spirited driving is your most important criteria. Beyond this, you'd have to go for a German car to strike a balance between optimal conditions on good AND bad roads.
hrk997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 09:32   #1687
BHPian

Jeep Compass PHEV Variant Launched
With All-Electric Range Of 50 Km

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_20191230095745_chrome.jpg

The Jeep Compass PHEV offers a fully-electric range of 50 km up to the speeds of 130 kmph, launched in UK

Quote:
The plug-in hybrid system combines a 1.3-litre turbocharged petrol engine with an electric motor, which takes power output up to 240 hp.

The Compass PHEV can sprint from 0 to 100 kmph in under 7 seconds. Not only that, the car can travel up to 50 km at the top speed of 130 kmph in pure electric mode. The CO2 emissions on the particular variant have been reduced to less than 50 g/km.

The electric motor is mounted to the rear axle and drives the rear wheels, whereas the petrol engine drives the front wheels with no direct linkage between the two. The carmaker says that this improves the off-road performance, even without a separate low-ratio gearbox.
Full Article
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 10:12   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Jeep Compass PHEV Variant Launched...
Question - during hard acceleration how will the rpm of front and rear wheels be controlled / be kept in sync given that front and rear axles are not mechanically coupled?
Old 30th December 2019, 17:55   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
However, i did feel that there is excessive body roll on sudden direction changes. This issue is concerning to me as i am a bit of a spirited driver around corners and in the hills.
It is all relative, so if you are coming from a sedan, you would feel some roll, but I don't think it would be worse than other tall cars. I come from an Ecosport which had a hard suspension, and I think the Compass's body roll comparable to the Ecosport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
Yep, that is a consistent observation. On the highways, I try to keep quick lane changes to a minimum due to the excessive body roll.
This is what I see in the team bhp review:

Quote:
The car doesn't unsettle easily even when you are pushing her a bit. Some body roll is of course there, yet it's not excessive or unnerving. But you will feel the sheer weight of the SUV while cornering.
Am not disputing you claims, but merely suggesting that your expectations play a huge role in what you experience. Octavia is far from the kind of cars that you should compare with SUVs when you talk about dynamics.
Quote:
The electric motor is mounted to the rear axle and drives the rear wheels, whereas the petrol engine drives the front wheels with no direct linkage between the two.
Wow, does this mean that I can switch from FWD to RWD at the press of a button? Would that be an industry first?
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 18:14   #1690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The electric motor is mounted to the rear axle and drives the rear wheels, whereas the petrol engine drives the front wheels with no direct linkage between the two. The carmaker says that this improves the off-road performance, even without a separate low-ratio gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Wow, does this mean that I can switch from FWD to RWD at the press of a button? Would that be an industry first?
What's more intriguing is how they'll control / match the torque deliveries? Without any linkage between the two, the rear wheels will get full torque from standstill while the front (turning) wheels will still be gasping for the turbo-zone rpm! There will be a single "gas" pedal in the cabin of course. How will the inputs be modulated for 2 different power sources? That's going to be a lot of work for software developers I'm sure. And I don't like software controlling too much in a car...

How on earth will this be tuned to be safely usable by average drivers like me!

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th December 2019 at 18:16.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 07:45   #1691
Mik
BHPian

A big thanks to folks who responded to my query on body roll. It was all relative, as i finally discovered.

Bit the bullet and bought the Jeep Compass Sport Plus Diesel 4x2. This has a bedrock pack decals, some other important accessories like parcel tray and reverse camera.

My final decision was between 3 cars of varying nature.

1. Duster AWD for it's go anywhere capabilities and for doing most core things right.

2. Seltos 1.4 turbo petrol GTK for its stonker of an engine and the goodies.

3. The RED Jeep Compass 2WD sport plus. The red is in caps as that is my go-to colour for the now three cars in the garage and the bikes too.

The Seltos was the first that i dropped off the radar because of three major gripes.

A. It's ride quality was poor. My figo has done more softroading than most Cretas so i needed something that was going to be comfortable in those elements. Plus the competition ride quality was magical.
B. Ergonomics were not sorting themselves out for me. Just didn't find my comfortable right hand-rest position over 3 TDs.
C. Petrol. No amount of excel maths can overcome the sinking feeling one gets on seeing the mileage and the frequent visits to the petrol pump.

I do maintain that the Seltos is just perfect for most and is deservedly the car of the year.

After the first TD of both the duster and the compass, i was convinced that the duster was mechanically superior in handling, ride and the initial punch.
Subconsciously, i was not sure i was ready for the compass. So the mind found n number of reasons to not buy it

After getting views on tbhp and devouring umpteen threads of both the compass and the duster awd, i decided that a final shootout test over varying conditions, back to back will be the answer.

I charted out a 30 min route which included high speed cornering, sudden lane change maneuvers, off-road (Bangalore gives lots of those opportunities), crawling narrow lane traffic and short straight line bursts.

Executed this over a weekday in office and I knew my answer.
While the Duster might be the car i need, the Compass was the one i deserved.

The ride quality was actually on par with the duster at high speeds, the handling a tad better, much more features (duster awd has shocking omissions like rear wiper, seat height adjust, reverse camera), power and road presence.

Something i never cared for - premiumness, switch quality, NVH etc suddenly were apparent to me. This was no excel decision. The Compass was a step up in life. And it was RED.

Christmas Day delivery and then a 4 day drive to Hampi and back - I am just beaming with inner peace :Cheering

The mileage has been a revelation. 16+ over the trip when i was not exactly disciplined on some of the highway sections.
That people admire it is something i notice all the time. I see heads turning, whispered inquiries, jealous looks and a sense from friends and family - waah what a choice.

You can't put a price on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20191228_1040362.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20191229_0911372.jpg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 31st December 2019 at 11:31. Reason: Edited for more readability on the variant.
Mik is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 07:50   #1692
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Bit the bullet and bought the Jeep Compass Sport Plus 2WD. This has a bedrock pack decals, some other important accessories like parcel tray and reverse camera.

3. The RED JC 2D sport plus. The

You can't put a price on that.
Please expand. JC 2D Sport Plus = Jeep Compass 2WD or 4WD please? Sport Plus is the variant I understand.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 31st December 2019 at 11:31. Reason: fixed the quote
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:38   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...on body roll. It was all relative, as i finally discovered.....

Christmas Day delivery and then a 4 day drive to Hampi
I was driving alongside a Compass during my recent drive back from Kanyakumari and its highway manners looked good.
It looks nice in red

PS. The ribbon on the bonnet needs to be removed immediately after delivery, otherwise the dust captured under the ribbon can grind into the paint and cause scratches.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 31st December 2019 at 11:51.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:39   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
I do maintan that the Seltos is just perfect for most and is deservedly the car of the year.

After the first TD of both the duster and the compass, i was convinced that the duster was mechanically superior in handling, ride and the initial punch.
Subconsciously, i was not sure i was ready for the compass. So the mind found n number of reasons to not buy it
Congratulations on buying your new ride and following your heart. I think you did what most bhpians did while buying your J.C. I think it is one of the few cars where the heart makes you overrule the mind and I am dead sure you will enjoy it by following your gut feeling. By the way is the reverse cam now standard on sports variant or you got it as accessory.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 31st December 2019 at 11:40.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 13:05   #1695
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
It looks nice in red

PS. The ribbon on the bonnet needs to be removed immediately after delivery, otherwise the dust captured under the ribbon can grind into the paint and cause scratches.
Agree with you. Just keeping it till the new year :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Congratulations on buying your new ride and following your heart.
----
By the way is the reverse cam now standard on sports variant or you got it as accessory.
Thanks! Yes, the heart took the lead on this one.
The Sports Plus variant has got some accessories which are part of standard fitment now.
The Sports variant too gets the reverse cam and black alloys - as accessories.
I suspect the 'accessory pack' will be standard considering the level of kit the competition offers.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks