Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 18:31   #1936

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Not sure which Sport variant you are looking for Petrol or Diesel. But I would strongly suggest you to consider Longitude Plus / Limited Plus. They have a corporate Discount going on those variants.
I just booked mine Longitude Plus Petrol and got a good discount of ~2.10 lac. OTR 21.40. Also, looking at the list of additional features below it makes more sense to buy the later one when we are paying 20+

Longitude Plus additional features:
- Bi-Xenon vs halogen
- Fog lamps front & rear
- Automatic gear box vs manual
- leather seats vs fabric seats
- 8" touch screen vs 7"
- 17" wheels vs 16"
- roof rails
- Keyless entry
- Auto folding ORVMs

Regarding Harrier, in my opinion go for the Jeep Compass if you are not too hung-up on Sunroof. The Compass is easy to manoeuver in city. Strong built with 5* Australian NCAP vs Harrier no testing is done so far. Long term review of the Compass shows no rattling and smooth ride over a period of time. Harrier still has a long way to go to prove the reliability in my personal opinion.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th September 2020 at 08:27. Reason: No abbreviations for car names please. Thank you!
yrwagh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 19:19   #1937

Just got my Car serviced, first service 5000KM/6 months...the dealership had arranged for pick and drop and the experience in that sense was alright.

I just noticed the invoice and found a “Cavity Lubricant” charged for ₹4130, anyone has any idea what that could be? and anyone else here that got the same charge on their first service.

Rest is usual stuff like alignment, balancing, et. Cetera.

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2020, 19:50   #1938
BHPian

Never heard about this cavity lubricant before. It must be some oil used for greasing hidden joints. Most probably just a excuse to make money in lieu of the workshops being idle or closed during lockdown.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 20:48   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrwagh View Post
Not sure which Sport variant you are looking for Petrol or Diesel. But I would strongly suggest you to consider Longitude Plus / Limited Plus. They have a corporate Discount going on those variants.

Longitude Plus additional features:
- Automatic gear box vs manual
I am guessing you are referring to my post as you did not use quote option. You can see the quotation screenshot attached in my post, it is a Diesel variant. SA did not mention about any discounts on Longitude variant, I will ask him later.

I am confused with a point you mentioned here, Auto vs manual. I am not sure if I am following this. This not a feature but an option. I am looking for manual variant and not automatic variant.

Follow up on my previous post, Jeep was unable to validate my existing TUV vehicle and informed me that it doesn't qualify for exchange, the SA also confirmed no 30k exchange bonus. This is pathetic, because I got 5.4 lakhs quotation from Jeep when I visited their Hyderabad showroom last year.

I finally was able to see Harrier in flesh, and interiors were a big disaster. Too many rough edges and plastic quality was a big let down. Harrier eliminated from my contenders.
Old 6th September 2020, 21:22   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giribhai View Post
Just got my Car serviced, first service 5000KM/6 months...the dealership had arranged for pick and drop and the experience in that sense was alright.

I just noticed the invoice and found a “Cavity Lubricant” charged for ₹4130, anyone has any idea what that could be? and anyone else here that got the same charge on their first service.
Never heard of a cavity lubricant earlier. Perhaps some dry or grease lubricant. If you can please post the invoice too. The part number could shed some more light.

By the way, which variant do you have and how has the experience been so far. Do post your comments.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2020 at 02:19. Reason: Quote tirmmed.
Old 6th September 2020, 22:45   #1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I am guessing you are referring to my post as you did not use quote option. You can see the quotation screenshot attached in my post, it is a Diesel variant. SA did not mention about any discounts on Longitude variant, I will ask him later.
Yes. Referring to this post only. Sorry, missed the Diesel part of it. On the discount front, I am sure it is on all variants except the Night eagle. For longitude there is this corporate discount which is quite decent at makes the car VFM at this price in my opinion.Not sure why SA did not talk about it.

They may not have an immediate buyer for the TUV hence must've mentioned that it doesn't qualify exchange. For my I-10 which I exchanged with their used car dealer they matched the quote given by Cars 24 by adjusting the additional amount in the new car because I said you give me a good barter else I am cancelling the booking. The trick worked. Try Cars 24 instead. Very quick and gives good quote as they are trying to become amazon of the used car world by creating monopoly, ready to pay and buy the cars at higher rates generally than the local dealers.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2020 at 02:19. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 7th September 2020, 16:54   #1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi3t View Post
Went ahead and booked the JC Limited Plus Petrol Auto yesterday. More details in the above post for anyone interested.
Thanks for the help regarding this. Took a look at the delivery documents and the dealership received the car in mid-July only and also the vehicle looked in pristine conditions so the mind is at ease now .

Another question though now, given the recent news about the possible reduction in GST from 28% to 18%, do you guys think this could effect vehicles in this segment as well? I think it would probably involve 2 wheelers and may be sub 4-metre 4 wheelers but SUV's and other luxury segments would still be charged 28% GST. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2020 at 02:20. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 8th September 2020, 00:33   #1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Never heard of a cavity lubricant earlier. Perhaps some dry or grease lubricant. If you can please post the invoice too. The part number could shed some more light.

By the way, which variant do you have and how has the experience been so far. Do post your comments.
Thanks for all the replies, this is highly surprising then because I seem to be the only person who has been charged for this.

Invoice attached for reference. I have the Limited Plus Diesel 4*2.
Experience has been pretty good overall: I really like the car, solid built, love the looks/finesse, has a character of its own, is the perfect size for self-driving, good driving dynamics (haven’t had a chance to drive on long trips because of COVID-19 though) and is not the every second car on the road (kinda exclusive). You can feel that Jeep really hasn’t cut corners on things that matter. A lot of people view Jeep Compass as expensive based on what it offers but it’s actually a VFM luxury car, it really is that in the Limited Plus trim ...

Jeep Compass : Official Review-1image.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2020 at 02:20. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
giribhai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 18:35   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giribhai View Post
Experience has been pretty good overall: I really like the car, solid built, love the looks/finesse, has a character of its own, is the perfect size for self-driving, good driving dynamics
I am guessing this is to do with greasing of suspension and other parts. Simply put, pure example of "Stealership". These extras are added in to bills of unsuspecting customers. M&M does this for each service even when you have not opted for it, it's called "Engine Protection Spray" and will charge 1,000/- bucks. I always tell the service advisor not to add any unwanted extras like these. Please reach out to the dealer and get clarification. If you are not satisfied with answer, please escalate to FCA.

I agree with your points on JC. VFM is subjective to each person's financial status, but for me personally a used JC is more VFM. In my state TG, base variant diesel engine starts at 21 lakhs on road, so I would be happy with a used top end variant which costs 15-16 lakhs and 3 years old.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 20:05   #1945
BHPian

I am bit worried about the moisture level. One side heavy moisture but other side comparatively less. Is it going to damage inside? I bought this in December 2019 and of-course Mumbai humidity level is too much now.

Any suggestion or comments please.

Regards
Subrat
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_10223.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 27th October 2020 at 10:03. Reason: Typo.
Subrat Seet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 20:45   #1946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
I am bit worried about the moisture level. One side heavy moisture but other side comparatively less. Is it going to damage inside? I bought this in December 2019 and of-course Mumbai humidity level is too much now.

Any suggestion or comments please.

Regards
Subrat
That doesn't look like normal condensation. Please do get it checked (most likely, replaced). Apart from damage to the bulbs, this condensation will impact light performance and visibility.

Most OEMs maintain that some amount of condensation can be seen during heavy rains. However the condensation should dissipate by itself in a few HOURS after you park the car. If the moisture continues to be seen hours after you stopped driving, then it is NOT normal and has to be checked at the service center.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th October 2020 at 10:04. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 16th September 2020, 01:29   #1947
BHPian

The Head vs. The Heart in a no holds barred wrestling Match

After a grueling contest in which there was nothing to pick between the two, The Heart goes for the kill. It lands its finishing move – a roundhouse kick flush on the chin. The Head is caught napping and is too late to react. 1…2…3…..Its all over.

Winner by pinfall: The Jeep Compass

Prologue:

I had to very reluctantly sell off my Honda CBR650F sometime last year (link to thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...a-cbr650f.html (Smooth operator - My 2015 Honda CBR650F). And I was doubly sure that my car upgrade had to be a fun-to-drive car. And something without the GC issues which my old Linea had. Which is why the shortlist had only Crossovers/ SUVs in the first place. If we had good roads, maybe I would have looked only at getting a Civic / Octavia.
Below were the options in my mind:

Option 1: Why even buy a new car? Your old one just needs some repairs. Besides, its Covid season and we don’t know what is in store next year.

Option 2: Kia Seltos – Looks neat. No wonder its selling like hot cakes now because the perceived value is good.

Option 3: New Creta – weirdish styling. But I admit the weirdness has grown on me over time and the styling can even be bearable in some colors (Eg: Black). Otherwise, similar to the Seltos ie; a great package, loaded with features and also the reason why it is selling more than budget hatchbacks.

Option 4: Maruti S Cross. Probably the only Maruti which is well built. Even if it’s a boring 1.5 petrol now (the 1.6 fiat multijet would have been fun). But good space, good build and decent high speed manners meant the Scross came up in the imaginary shortlist. Could also end up saving some precious INRs in the process…

Option 5: CBU / CKDs. The Hyundai Tucson, VW Troc and Skoda Karoq. Somehow, the VW cousins didn’t appeal to me. While I was thinking about the Tucson, it was atleast 5L outside my budget. The new 2021 Tucson which was just unveiled looks too weird with a lot of angles and cuts, I don’t like the design direction of the current Hyundais.

Option 6: Wait for the new crossover which Toyota / Maruti are working on. This might end up coming in 2022. Can’t wait till then.

Option 7: The Honda HR-V - which might come in 2035. I can't wait till then. Honda is my fav automotive brand. But the people running their India Car business are a joke.

Option 8: Tata Harrier - while the BS6 version seemed to be vastly improved, the brand did not appeal to me. We had an old Indica and that had something to do with it I guess.

Option 9: XUV500 - current version is too old now. Facelift might be launched next year. Can't wait till then.

Option 10: My Wife only wanted the Jeep Compass. In Red. Which kind of makes the rest of the options irrelevant. After owning a Linea all these years, somehow the Compass felt like the logical upgrade to me.

Since the Compass was decided, the only real confusion was to get the current version or wait for the facelift - spyshots of which were appearing regularly. The facelift just seemed to have a new larger floating infotainment screen and not too many other significant updates. Large screens and other gizmos aren't a must have for me in a car - else would have bought a Hyundai / Kia.

Consulted with BHPian Arun Josie (who else) about a few things which just gave me more confidence. So decided to give in to the upgrade itch and go for it. COVID be damned.

Booking & Delivery:

While i was initially looking at the Compass Sport Plus Diesel (4X2), the Corporate discount meant that the Longitude Plus Diesel 4x2 was within the ballpark. So ended up booking it at KHT Prime Domlur. I did try to convince my wife that either the Silver or Grey colors are safer versions since we end up keeping our cars for atleast 7 to 8 years. But it didn't work. So it was the Exotica Red. The KHT Staff were helpful and prompt and we got our Car delivered within a week.

Final OTR including Corporate discount and Extended Warranty = INR 23.2 L
The Mud Flaps, Floor Mats, Car Duster and Car Cover were offered as freebies. While waiting for the number plates to arrive, i got the roof wrapped in Black and the Ceramic coating at Krithi Car Care, HBR Layout - I'm satisfied with their work and am hoping the Ceramic protection is worth it.

What I Love so far:
  • Engine - What a gem. The Compass diesel is probably the most fun on highways this side of 25L. Did a small 250km round trip this weekend and it was good fun keeping it in 6th.
  • Looks - I am a fan of Clean and classy looks which age well. Jeep definitely has nailed that bit
  • Handling - while nowhere near my old Linea - but still the best among the crossovers/ SUVs within this range.

Planning to hit Coastal Karnataka this weekend. Will share more impressions later. Here are some pics:

Near Markonahalli Dam. The Compass will be extensively used for putting escapes to places near and far.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20200913_094624.jpg

The Longitude Plus variant comes with Bi-Xenon HIDs. Same as the top end Limited Plus.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20200913_094704.jpg

Clean Clean lines. I think this design will look good 10 years later.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20200913_094756.jpg

I like the chunky alloys of the Longitude version. Notice the front lower lip below the bumper. i think this is slightly higher compared to the 2017-2019 versions.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20200913_094715.jpg

Last edited by loki : 16th September 2020 at 01:40.
loki is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:43   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Congratulations. I am in the market, thinking of buying one do-it-all SUV. But I am a bit hesitant to put down 30 big ones in the name of Jeep. This will replace my Polo & City and it sure has to have best of both, ie, peppy, reliable, and comfortable in the rear for my parents, with running costs somewhere in between.
Thanks for your wishes.

I think I saw that you have opened up a thread related to this in the What Car section. Are you convinced with the Compass or you are looking at other options.
Old 16th September 2020, 11:49   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Winner by pinfall: The Jeep Compass
Nice pick and great colour as well. Congratulations. How is the ride quality on bad roads as compared to the Seltos?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th September 2020 at 11:56.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 20:10   #1950
BHPian

Congrats Loki, wishing you a very good journey on your new ride. Great choice of vehicle and sensible choice of variant.

Regarding roof wrapping is it mat finish and what did it cost.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks