Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 23:19   #1996
h14
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenius View Post
I have booked mine and within the next 10 days should have delivery of the same.
Wonderful! Hearty congratulations.

Been long since we had a meet or drive. Hope we can do one after you get the compass. I'm sure that letting the Linea go would be tough for you.

Last edited by h14 : 25th October 2020 at 23:20.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 18:10   #1997
BHPian

Hi all, hopefully this is the right forum to ask the question:

I’m getting a decent deal (1.6L off) on the BS6 Longitude Diesel AT, but the catch is the inventory dates back to January 2020. Came as a big shock, when I casually asked the manufacturing date while close to finalizing the deal.

No matter how well the manufacturer takes care of their stock, 10 months of idle time cannot be good for the vehicle.

Advice, including from from previous ownership or anecdotes is highly appreciated.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th October 2020 at 10:52. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 26th October 2020, 19:19   #1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post

I’m getting a decent deal (1.6L off) on the BS6 Longitude Diesel AT, but the catch is the inventory dates back to January 2020. Came as a big shock, when I casually asked the manufacturing date while close to finalizing the deal.

No matter how well the manufacturer takes care of their stock, 10 months of idle time cannot be good for the vehicle.

Advice, including from from previous ownership or anecdotes is highly appreciated.
Not sure how but I recently bought Longitude plus petrol and got an August'20 manufactured model at discount. The SA told me that due to pandemic they are not holding any stock and all vehicles are kinda made to order anticipating the demand. Nonetheless insist on the latest one and they should oblige to it considering not so good demand in the market.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th October 2020 at 10:53. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks. / spacing in quoted post
yrwagh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:17   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Wonderful! Hearty congratulations.

Been long since we had a meet or drive. Hope we can do one after you get the compass. I'm sure that letting the Linea go would be tough for you.
Yes, we should do a drive. Letting the Linea go is heartbreaking, not only for me but now my daughter too. But maintaining 2 cars now is going to be difficult. And I'm the only driving. So there are going to be buckets to be mopped up when my darling FTA Linea 1.4 EP goes after being my steed for 105200 km :(
rhenius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:31   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenius View Post
I have booked mine and within the next 10 days should have delivery of the same.
Congrats and Great to hear.

Most of the Linea owners have upgraded to Compass without any second thought and AT with 4*4, Yes, hood of the machine.

My Silver Streak Linea is running steadily and crossed 1.65L and waiting for a 7 seater to give her some company in the garage.

Awaiting your review and photos

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th October 2020 at 10:52. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 27th October 2020, 10:44   #2001
BHPian

One thing that I love about the Compass is the 15k service schedule whereas some cars are now a days on the 10k period regiment its a breath of fresh air.

It seems more VFM and less no of trips to the service station for service the better "Covid & otherwise"
Old 27th October 2020, 11:18   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Congrats and Great to hear.

Most of the Linea owners have upgraded to Compass without any second thought and AT with 4*4, Yes, hood of the machine.

My Silver Streak Linea is running steadily and crossed 1.65L and waiting for a 7 seater to give her some company in the garage.

Awaiting your review and photos
Sure, I will put my review and photos. But my heart breaks when I think of having to say goodbye to my trusted FTA Linea 1.4 EP
Old 27th October 2020, 12:04   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Use this thread as a guide - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...ring-date.html (ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date)

Personally, it shouldn’t matter if you get ALL fluids changed before delivery. Or use that to get a bigger discount & then use the money saved to change ALL fluids yourself.

Don’t buy a FCA product if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long (10yrs +) time.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 15:14   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Use this thread as a guide - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...ring-date.html (ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date)

Personally, it shouldn’t matter if you get ALL fluids changed before delivery. Or use that to get a bigger discount & then use the money saved to change ALL fluids yourself.

Don’t buy a FCA product if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long (10yrs +) time.
Thanks. Changing all fluids before starting to use the vehicle is an inauspicious start, especially for a 1.6L discount.
Fiat products are not known to be super reliable, but the Compass certainly looks, feels and drives like a well-built vehicle.
Some of the members here have encouraging anecdotes about the longevity of their old Fiats as well.
Old 27th October 2020, 22:52   #2005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Mine was 6-7 months old when I took the delivery. In my opinion, 10 months old is fine as long as it is not a test drive/display vehicle.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 23:00   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Mine was 6-7 months old when I took the delivery. In my opinion, 10 months old is fine as long as it is not a test drive/display vehicle.
Thanks Arun. It’s been a pretty strong monsoon season this year, and who knows how regularly this old stock has been moved around, sheltered from the rain and had its fluids checked/topped up.

Love your ownership thread by the way. It played a not insignificant part in my decision to (almost) get the Compass.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 21:50   #2007

Hi,

I went on a trip to Manali and was stuck in traffic jam on a steep incline. I don't remember correctly but it involved heavy use of clutch. My model is Sport Plus Petrol.

Suddenly, I started smelling something burning and slowly I saw a little bit of smoke from under the hood. The temperature metre was absolutely perfect. I have returned to Delhi since and have been getting the burning smell till now, albeit minimal.

I took the car to a local mechanic in Manali and he said it was because of heavy clutch use and friction on clutch plate. Will take it to Jeep workshop this Saturday.

Just wanted to ask if someone else has faced this too or had any similar experience with another vehicle?

TIA
Old 28th October 2020, 22:11   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibracadabra View Post
Hi,

I went on a trip to Manali and was stuck in traffic jam on a steep incline. I don't remember correctly but it involved heavy use of clutch. My model is Sport Plus Petrol.

Suddenly, I started smelling something burning and slowly I saw a little bit of smoke from under the hood. The temperature metre was absolutely perfect. I have returned to Delhi since and have been getting the burning smell till now, albeit minimal.

I took the car to a local mechanic in Manali and he said it was because of heavy clutch use and friction on clutch plate. Will take it to Jeep workshop this Saturday.

Just wanted to ask if someone else has faced this too or had any similar experience with another vehicle?

TIA
Were you riding the clutch. As in keeping the clutch pedal half pressed when going up the incline.

Riding the clutch can most definitely burn the clutch disc and leave burn marks on the flywheel too. BTW This can happen on any car if you slip the clutch too much.

If the car is behaving and driving normally, you can continue to drive, the smell will go away eventually.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 22:31   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Changing all fluids before starting to use the vehicle is an inauspicious start, especially for a 1.6L discount.
Fiat products are not known to be super reliable, but the Compass certainly looks, feels and drives like a well-built vehicle.
Some of the members here have encouraging anecdotes about the longevity of their old Fiats as well.
There is nothing inauspicious about it. Even I got an old stock previous year Verna at great discount - but made sure all the fluids were replaced. Pushed for Battery change as well but instead got a discount for the value of the battery. Battery is holding up pretty good so far.

It is suggested to change engine oil within a year whether you use the vehicle or not. If not FOC, I would suggest you go ahead do it proactively or you can take a call on first free check-up.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 23:13   #2010
BHPian

Quote:

I purchased my Feb 2016 manufactured Linea in Nov 2016. That's 10 months lying idle. I was naive and so didn't ask change of engine oils, battery etc. From the time i purchased i diligently stuck to the service schedule and all has been great so far. Done about 54000 kms now. The stock battery is still in service in the car although in its last stages.

My 2 cents.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed