Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:45   #2056

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's difficult to predict this easily. With current discounts you maybe able to get the top spec limited plus for a price that will only get you the lower or mid level trims in the facelift when launched.

However there is a gamble to this. JEEP may rationalise prices since sales are really poor and the Compass is literally sinking in numbers after the Seltos/Creta iceberg that struck it.

On the other hand they may not rationalise prices and discounts will start on newer model within few months.

One more twist is if they do decide to get the facelift compass at lower price points, have they done extensive cost cutting to compete lower down the pecking order?
It indeed is very dicey as to what strategy they might take and Jeep Sales Reps are pretty tight lipped about giving any indications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
The new model is going to be even more expensive than the current model (I hope and pray that Jeep proves me wrong). There is no clarity on actual release date.

It is totally up to you, if there is no urgent need for a new vehicle, then better wait for facelift one. The facelift version is a lot better than the current model, not sure if Jeep has done any skimming on build quality. The interiors look quantum leap ahead than the ongoing model.

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-im...gallery-419238
The difference in price might perhaps result in me not considering the vehicle altogether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Knowing how Jeep India positions itself, I am certain that there won't be any year end discounts on the top variants. They have never discounted the top end variants. Its always the mid and lower variants that get the cuts.

Also the new version will definitely be more expensive. No two ways about it.

I know of atleast 3 people including myself who purchased the top end limited 4x4 and none of us really got any discounts. Just some small partly sum was offered as discount that too after a lot of haggling.

If you have your heart and mind set then go for it at the earliest. Prices keep going up as time passes.
There is a decent amount of discount on offer right now. I have zeroed in on the 4*2 MT trims, since the 4*4 capability won't be used by me.

I would like to thank you all for your advices
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:36   #2057
BHPian

Hello everyone. Thanks to the administrators, I have just joined the Team BHP forum.

I am planning to buy a Jeep Compass.

Is it advisable to buy "Engine Protection" and "Roadside Assistance" add-on covers in the insurance even if I get extended Jeep warranty?
Rilke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:21   #2058
Distinguished - BHPian

One more aspect to consider is that Citroen, a sister company of Jeep in the Stellantis JV is also gearing up to launch the C5 Aircross. The C5 Aircross is bigger and more spacious than the Compass. Both cars are likely to be sold from the same showrooms side by side. The Citroen's price position is likely to be at 24-28 lacs (which is also a very hard sell). The Jeep Compass should be migrated down and ideally should get serious in the 15-20 lac segment. It may be possible as heavy localisation was always a strong point of the Compass and they may have an advantage here.
The Citroen is going to hit the market in Q1 2021 and once that is launched it should be quite interesting to see where Jeep positions the Compass. If the price points are too close, many people will shift to the C5 instead. They will also share the same diesel engine too.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:02   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
Hello everyone. Thanks to the administrators, I have just joined the Team BHP forum.

Is it advisable to buy "Engine Protection" and "Roadside Assistance" add-on covers in the insurance even if I get extended Jeep warranty?
I don't think that you need to buy engine protection extra if you get extended warranty. Road side assistance is included in warranty package itself.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:17   #2060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
I don't think that you need to buy engine protection extra if you get extended warranty. Road side assistance is included in warranty package itself.
I believe "engine cover" gives against engine damage in cases such as water ingress or physical impacts such as underbody hit.

This should be opted for, along with the extended warranty.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 20:17   #2061

A Big Hello to everyone on this forum. I got my Team-BHP membership approved a couple days ago and it feels great to finally be one among you all. What a great forum this is for car lovers!

Thanks to all the opinons posted on this review thread which helped me in finally making the leap and getting my own Jeep Compass Limited Plus 4X2 2.0 L Turbo Diesel MT in Exotica Red, delivered last week. One word for the car - beautiful - to look at and to drive.

If you're like me, lurking on this thread for weeks, trying to decide between several other options and the Compass, here's the short version of what my preferences were. I had narrowed my choices down to the new 2020 Hyundai Creta SX(O) Turbo Petrol DCT, Kia Seltos GT turbo petrol, the Volkswagen T-ROC and ofcourse the Compass which I finally picked over the other 3. I made this decision after extensively test-driving all vehicles on city roads in Bangalore as well as on NICE road to get a sense of highway performance. All this happened over the span of about 3-4 weeks while constantly reading this thread and others.

Early Impressions : Love the car so far. Done about 950 kms on it, most of it from a trip to Chennai and back. The trip itself had varying weather conditions from an initial sunny stretch until Krishnagiri and then torrential downpour all the way until Chennai. The Compass did not disappoint on confidence. I see that a few of you have also recently purchased the same trim as mine and that too in the same colour, congratulations!

Given that this is my first month with the car, my initial concerns are around the maintenance of the car's exterior - the paint and factory gloss. I'm increasingly hearing that red as a colour is super hard to maintain over time and I want to make sure I'm following the right routine in protecting it. This vehicle cost me ~27.2 lakhs on road here in Bangalore and I'm very hesitant to churn out another 1+ lakhs on a PPF / ceramic coating. While I'm more or less convinced about the benefit of a PPF, a more practical and old school method of maintenance - like a combination of a good sealant and wax on a regular basis, I think, would be a lighter pinch on my pocket. Looking for any and all suggestions on this aspect from you folks. Excuse me if this is already covered on the detailing threads, which for me contains a lot of information and is slightly overwhelming, so please point me in the right direction.

Once again, lovely to be here everyone. You're awesome!
vyshak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:59   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshak View Post
A Big Hello to everyone on this forum. I got my Team-BHP membership approved a couple days ago and it feels great to finally be one among you all. What a great forum this is for car lovers!

Thanks to all the opinons posted on this review thread which helped me in finally making the leap and getting my own Jeep Compass Limited Plus 4X2 2.0 L Turbo Diesel MT in Exotica Red, delivered last week. One word for the car - beautiful - to look at and to drive.

Welcome to Team-Bhp and Congratulations on your red beauty! Wishing you many many happy and safe miles!

Quote:

I'm very hesitant to churn out another 1+ lakhs on a PPF / ceramic coating. While I'm more or less convinced about the benefit of a PPF, a more practical and old school method of maintenance - like a combination of a good sealant and wax on a regular basis, I think, would be a lighter pinch on my pocket. Looking for any and all suggestions on this aspect from you folks. Excuse me if this is already covered on the detailing threads, which for me contains a lot of information and is slightly overwhelming, so please point me in the right direction.
In my opinion, at least go for PPF on the bonnet, front bumper and ORVMs. This will help avoid from paint chips during highway drives.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:30   #2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Welcome to Team-Bhp and Congratulations on your red beauty! Wishing you many many happy and safe miles!
Thanks for your kind words Arun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
In my opinion, at least go for PPF on the bonnet, front bumper and ORVMs. This will help avoid from paint chips during highway drives.
What would this cost me approximately for just these sections? I'd also love to get your thoughts on what are my other options if I decide to not go with a PPF or ceramic coating? The fact is that I don't do a lot of highway driving aside from the occasional shuttle between Bangalore and Chennai - maybe twice a month. Most of my driving would be city bound in the near term and so I'm looking for something that would just retain the shine of the paint and provide decent protection from fading under the sun.
Old 25th November 2020, 21:51   #2064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshak View Post
What would this cost me approximately for just these sections? I'd also love to get your thoughts on what are my other options if I decide to not go with a PPF or ceramic coating?
Initially I skipped going for PPF but after 3 months I noticed 3-4 small stone chips on the bonnet, mostly these should have happened during the highway drives or on any bad roads. On red, these chips are very prominent. So, I went ahead with self healing PPF, got this done at Krithi Car. You can check with them for the current pricing for PPF on bonnet, front bumper, ORVMs.

https://www.krithicarcare.com/contact/
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 03:58   #2065
BHPian

Test drove the diesel AT last week. Currently drive an XUV500 AT, Jazz petrol and Figo S diesel. Planning to trade in the 10K kms driven Jazz as it was not a good purchase. The Jazz felt sprightly during TD but the actual car is so lethargic at low revs it just feels sad. Have to do multiple clutch burnouts just to get out of underground parking slopes. Pathetic engine in an otherwise well designed car. Used to think maybe I am more of a diesel guy but then I never felt any problem with the Fusion 1.6 which we owned earlier. Used to pull like a train!

Enough of ranting. My observations with the Compass:
- Solid feeling with the doors and thick steel. Felt more solid than a Polo for sure
- First few gears feel like a CVT. A bit of noise but very little movement. Picks up fron 40kmph onwards
- NVH was really good and felt very quiet inside
- The seating position felt quite low but kind of sporty
- Loved the steering. Light and sharp in city
- The rear seats are usable albeit being upright and cramped with the big headrests of front seat
- Boot shape and size is not good

Dealer offering the Longitude diesel AT on road at 22.15 lacs in Delhi including zero dep insurance. Wanted the Longitude Plus but they don't have it in stock besides the only difference is roof rails, roof colour, seat cover and headlamps all 4 can be upgraded outside.

Can someone confirm if there is room for further discounts?
Single dealer in Delhi is it good in ASS?
Also does the solid feel hold over time with minimal rattles inside? This has been my biggest pain point with the XUV.

Thanks

Last edited by racer_7 : 26th November 2020 at 04:15.
Old 26th November 2020, 09:39   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_7 View Post
Dealer offering the Longitude diesel AT on road at 22.15 lacs in Delhi including zero dep insurance.
Really? That's a very good deal. Which dealer is it? (I hope I am not breaking the Forum code by asking this.)

I am also in the market to buy one. I have been offered it at 23.5.
Old 26th November 2020, 22:05   #2067
BHPian

I need some advice. I cannot make up my mind whether I should purchase JC Longitude 4x4 Diesel AT or Longitude Plus 4x2 Petrol AT.

I have test driven both the variants. One can definitely feel the power of Diesel AT, but Petrol AT is no slouch. I didn't find the much-reported lag in the Petrol variant even at a lower speed. But, unlike the Diesel, the power delivery was gradual and not punchy in Petrol. I have not driven on highways, so cannot tell how both would drive at a higher and steady speed.

What goes in favour of Diesel AT is power/punchiness, 4x4, and mileage.
For Petrol AT: lower price (difference of 3 lakhs on-road), higher variant (Longitude Plus over Longitude), and length of ownership (i.e., the car can be driven, theoretically and legally, for 15 years as opposed to 10 years in case of Diesel) and lower maintenance(?).

I think I will drive max about 12000 km per year. I live in the suburbs and drive mostly on the highways. I also plan to take the car to the hills, so I presume 4x4 might be helpful.

So, which one should I get?

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th November 2020 at 22:07. Reason: Small typo
Old 26th November 2020, 22:24   #2068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need some advice. I cannot make up my mind whether I should purchase JC Longitude 4x4 Diesel AT or Longitude Plus 4x2 Petrol AT.

So, which one should I get?
No brainer. Diesel 4x4 AT.

Reasons:
1. The petrol DDCT has very low FE
2. The DDCT box itself is known for being problematic and unreliable
3. The 1.4L is a low displacement engine which means its stressed to give that power output from a small engine.
4. Diesel gives better FE and longer range for longer highway drives
5. Diesel 2.0L MJD is known for reliability and more robust
6. The Diesel will get you more resale down the line.
7. The diesel has way more torque which means the gearbox doesnt always need to work doubly hard as the petrol by shifting down to give you that power when you need.
8. Overall performance of diesel is more rounded than the turbo petrol.

Only point in favour of the petrol is lower cost.

The diesel AT is an easy pick.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 01:37   #2069

Hello everyone. My Team-BHP membership just got approved and a big thanks to moderators for same.

Post a long wait and a thorough review, I finally went ahead and got my Magnesio Grey Jeep Compass Petrol AT (Longitude Plus). I don't remember how many times I read the reviews of Jeep Compass in both 2.0 MJD Diesel( 4x4 AT) vs 1.4 DDCT Petrol variants but due below factors, I finally made the decision in favour of petrol AT apart from the fact we already got another Diesel 2.0 MJD Jeep compass in family.

1. Less than a 1000KM per month average running.
2. Lesser maintenance for Petrol variants
3. And of course over 4 lakhs price difference in Longitude Plus variants of Petrol and Diesel models.
4. Looking at the upward trend of Diesel costs and higher tarriffs on Diesel engines, I personally feel Government wants to move towards Electric and Petrol which would make diesel at par with Petrol price in future.
5. My brother' s 2.0 Diesel MT Compass gives 12kmpl mileage vs mine very initial number for Petrol AT is 9kmpl (under similar conditions) which translates to INR 6.5 per KM(Diesel) vs INR 9.7 per KM(Petrol) in Pune. At this rate of INR 3.2 Per KM price difference, I would need to drive 125,000 KM to cover INR 4 laks price difference only (without internet on any loan). OR 2,000 KM per month for next 5 year. This calculation settles that Mileage/Price factor could be considered if I am driving.ore than 2009 KM per months.

I will try to provide updates on this later as I find more interesting details between these siblings!
Kraven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 08:07   #2070

Hey could anyone help me with the width of the stock compass 17 inch alloy that came with the Limited(O) on launch? I'm planning to upgrade them but I don't see a lot of good options on the market.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st December 2020 at 15:37. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks