Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 22:46   #2161
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 : A review from the hills of Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
Traveller,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I spoke to the dealership again today. Someone there told me that the noise is there in SOME automatic vehicles (explains why it was not present in the vehicle that I test drove). I am not settling for the explanation that they are giving that is an "operational noise" and don't see why I should "live with it", if at all that is their expectation. This is a Rs. 30 L car and there cannot be any such glitches.

I am working with them to resolve this and will keep you posted.

Cheers!
I have this since day 1 as well. I got my Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited Plus AT in October this year. Have done around 3600kms so far.
The grinding like noise during some gear shifts seems to have increased in the past few days. Was there any update from Jeep on this noise?

My troubles with the car so far:
1) There're quite a few squeaks and rattles which makes me super unhappy.
There's one from the driver side door, one from the front left door, one from somewhere behind the dashboard, near the footwell, which I am just not able to identify which keeps coming, sometimes even while idling (it's more like a squeak). Another one caused by the speaker grill on the left side of the dashboard. The speedo console every now and then buzzes as well.
I am really not sure if I have super sensitive ears, or if this is common across a lot of JCs. I have come across some posts on this, but not too many.
Anyone who has faced this/solved this noisy cabin thing, please help.

2) The lights on the sun blinds do not seem to work on my car. Am I missing something here? Tried everything possible (day/night time, ambient lights on/off, headlights on/off).

3) The HID bi-xenons are weak, sadly. The throw doesn't go too far on completely unlit roads. On dimly lit roads, the focus/intensity is lacking. Is there any quick, cheap, non-intrusive upgrade possible? New bulbs maybe?

4) The parcel tray does not stay tethered to the tail gate. Once you open the tail gate, the parcel tray falls off, and I have to tether it back again. Seems like it is too heavy for the small protrusions on the inside of the tail gate.

5) Transmission noise I mentioned above.

6) The tyres will surely not work off the road. I had one tyre burst when I accidentally curbed the wheel against a divider. My bad here for sure, but it was surprising how easily the sidewall ripped. Another tyre has a crack for some reason.
Replacement tyres are expensive, and there's little to no choice. Has anyone upgraded to 235/55 or a more common size?

So far I am not able to focus on the good bits because of these issues. Hope they can be resolved soon. Any help/inputs are deeply appreciated.
veyron999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 01:50   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilbuster View Post
I also got my booking done for a Night Hawk Diesel MT. The Mrs. Wanted all-black interiors you see.
I wanted to confirm one thing. Will the VIN be different for a Limited Edition as the dealer says that the Night Eagle was made only from July-August.
Thank you!

When I had booked they did not have limited editions available at all in petrol. So, I guess that's possible that they had closed the manufacturing of these limited versions much earlier than the regular variants. Anyway, Aug does not sound bad to me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
2. When I took the delivery the car was in H mode (I don’t know what it means) - the service advisor came and advised his subordinate to disable the mode and reset the Odo to zero.
I do not know what does H mode mean; but in my case after taking the delivery when I tried to reset the trip A meter, it reset the odometer too along with the trip. [ The odo was 40 Kms while taking the delivery].
That surprised me. I tried to reset the trip meter later too, and it worked perfectly (no impact on overall odometer). So, I think yes, it is to possible to reset the odometer and only once. I believe it was not done by my dealer, so I hit it.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st December 2020 at 02:34. Reason: Quotes trimmed. Posts merged.
sushantk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 09:54   #2163
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:

2. When I took the delivery the car was in H mode (I don’t know what it means) - the service advisor came and advised his subordinate to disable the mode and reset the Odo to zero. I was surprised and I asked them how they could reset it and they told me it could only be done once. Having read about Odo tampering on TBHP I was a bit sceptical but I couldn’t have done much about it and honestly the car didn’t seem like it had been driven much or had been used as a TD vehicle.
I believe all new FCA cars are have H, which Odometer shows only upto 200 km, or can be reset manually one time before 200 km.
Fusion2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:30   #2164
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 : A review from the hills of Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
1) There're quite a few squeaks and rattles which makes me super unhappy.
There's one from the driver side door, one from the front left door, one from somewhere behind the dashboard, near the footwell, which I am just not able to identify which keeps coming, sometimes even while idling (it's more like a squeak). Another one caused by the speaker grill on the left side of the dashboard. The speedo console every now and then buzzes as well.
I am really not sure if I have super sensitive ears, or if this is common across a lot of JCs. I have come across some posts on this, but not too many.
Anyone who has faced this/solved this noisy cabin thing, please help.

2) The lights on the sun blinds do not seem to work on my car. Am I missing something here? Tried everything possible (day/night time, ambient lights on/off, headlights on/off).

3) The HID bi-xenons are weak, sadly. The throw doesn't go too far on completely unlit roads. On dimly lit roads, the focus/intensity is lacking. Is there any quick, cheap, non-intrusive upgrade possible? New bulbs maybe?

4) The parcel tray does not stay tethered to the tail gate. Once you open the tail gate, the parcel tray falls off, and I have to tether it back again. Seems like it is too heavy for the small protrusions on the inside of the tail gate.

5) Transmission noise I mentioned above.

6) The tyres will surely not work off the road. I had one tyre burst when I accidentally curbed the wheel against a divider. My bad here for sure, but it was surprising how easily the sidewall ripped. Another tyre has a crack for some reason.
Replacement tyres are expensive, and there's little to no choice. Has anyone upgraded to 235/55 or a more common size?

So far I am not able to focus on the good bits because of these issues. Hope they can be resolved soon. Any help/inputs are deeply appreciated.
Hi,
Let me try to help you out with some of these issues, based on my experiences. I am one of the oldest JC owners here on TBHP and my ownership thread is here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...2-limited.html
If you go through my thread, you will find solutions to some of the problems you are facing.

But let me quickly tell you some of the solutions for some of these issues:
1) For the squeaky and rattly doors, two things to be done - Get the Talbros Silicone spray (you can find it on Amazon) and spray it liberally on all the door seals and beadings. This lubricates the strips and prevents them sticking to body and reduces the creaky sounds. Also on the Door locks, you have to grease the locks well and on the latch (which is on the body), apply a few rounds of duct tape to reduce play. This prevents the doors from rattling
(I have explained and shown pictures of both the above on my thread)
Also, you can also spray the Talbros spray in all areas like the dashboard to prevent squeaks. Spray it especially in the sides where the dashboard meets the A-pillars (on the inside)- this area is a big culprit.

2) I don't think the sun blind lights are functional as they don't operate even on mine. Maybe in higher versions they work, but they are non operational even in my Limited Variant.

3) You are lucky to have the HID BiXenon, as they are better than the Limited version halogen projectors, which were absolutely pathetic, with half the light that you have. In my case I upgraded my Halogen projectors with 42W HID 4200K Retrofit kits, which has 3x the light of the original Halogen bulbs. But in your case that will not be possible as you have OE HID lights. In your case, I would recommend two things. Get 4200K HID bulbs of the same type (as OE) and swap them out. This will improve visibility as the stock bulbs are 5700K and visibility with these Bluer lights is lesser, especially in bad weather.
Also, second thing which you can get done is to have your foglights aimed higher (there is an adjustment screw at the bottom, the details are also on my thread). The foglight bulbs are 55W and actually have a lot of light, but there light is wasted as they are aimed too low in front of the car. If you have it adjusted it a bit, it will greatly improve your low beam visibility by filling in the area close to the car.

4) This should not happen - in my car the parcel shelf strings are firmly tethered to the bootlid and never fall off. Probably they are not fixed properly in your case. Push them in a bit with force and they should click in place. Once locked, they don't come off easy!

5) Transmission noise - Mine is a manual variant so haven't faced this. But in AT, I have heard about others also experiencing this and this could be normal. Also as yours is a 4x4, it maybe the 4x4 transmission which makes some noise, which is common as it diverts torque a bit when its senses even the slightest wheelspin.

6) On tyres, my recommendation will be to swap to Falken Wildpeak tyres in stock 225/60 R17 size as they are very good for Onroad and Offroad use (50/50). The sooner you do this swap, the better will be the exchange value of your current tyres. For now, avoid upsizing to 235/55 R17 as the ride will become harder and uncomfortable.
If your usage is mainly city and good roads, you can also go for Yokohama Earth1 in stock size. These are softer and less noisy than the above option, but less suitable for bad roads.

Hope you are able to resolve some of the issues you are facing and enjoy the car much more!

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st December 2020 at 10:32.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:03   #2165
BHPian

Thank you for your responses guys, there's another issue that I've been facing (it might not really be an issue and just that I'm new to the car)

I happen to stall it a lot in 2nd gear, (mine is a Compass 6speed MT, diesel 2.0) when I'm going slow over a speed breaker or taking a U-turn. Many times it stalls, and sometimes the gearbox gives me a loud thud. I still haven't figured it out yet.

I think I need to unlearn the way I used to drive my previous car, which was an i20 Petrol 1.2, which drove pretty well in second gear on low speeds.

But any experience with this?
fast&curious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:44   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have this since day 1 as well. I got my Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited Plus AT in October this year. Have done around 3600kms so far.
The grinding like noise during some gear shifts seems to have increased in the past few days. Was there any update from Jeep on this noise?

Hi Veyron,

I can relate to every issue you pointed out in your post.

I still have the transmission grrr noise, especially when cold. It reduces a lot one once the car is warmed up sufficiently ( Driving for about 20 kilometers).

I also have atleast 3 rattles l, one from the passenger side which sound like a loose bolt somewhere that is bouncing with the car motion, another one that is like a buzzing sound from the driver side door just next to my ear , If I press the door pad it stops and another one from the tail gate inner plastic cladding. I intend to get these fixed at my first service.

The lights are fine although not too bright. They might be a bit inadequate on highway speeds.

I think the plastic quality on the inner cabin is not as good as I thought or maybe some adjustments need to be done to fix these annoyances.

The sun visors do not have any lights although it seems they do since there are dummies which look like lights.

Regarding the tyres, I share your concern. The stick Bridgestone are useless off road. Don't even try taking them on a trail. You will not only damage the tyres but likely bend the 18 inch alloys as well.

I had a lengthy email discussion about this tyre issue with FCA and highlighted this issue to them as well. They did not have a convincing answer and as such no solution.

I guess smaller steel wheels with higher sidewall is needed. The trailhawk and the sport variants come with 16 and 17 inch wheels and they could possibly be an alternative.

However having all said and done, the driving manners are impeccable. I love the way it handles at low and fast highway speeds. It gives you a lot of confidence to drive spiritedly.

The brakes could have been a bit more servoed though. They have good stopping power however the pedal needs to be pressed firmly.

Let's keep in touch and share our experiences here on the forum. If you would like to discuss anything specific then send me a PM.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:28   #2167

Back to back posts merged

Quote:
I happen to stall it a lot in 2nd gear, (mine is a Compass 6speed MT, diesel 2.0) when I'm going slow over a speed breaker or taking a U-turn. Many times it stalls, and sometimes the gearbox gives me a loud thud. I still haven't figured it out yet.

I think I need to unlearn the way I used to drive my previous car, which was an i20 Petrol 1.2, which drove pretty well in second gear on low speeds.
Had this exact same experience in the first 2 weeks and I too upgraded from an i20. Happened precisely while slowing down over humps and before taking U turns. Nothing to worry, this is just about getting used to the gear ratios and not an actual issue.

Suggested solution : Mine is a Diesel 2.0 MT 4x2 and what I've noticed is that 2nd gear is okay upto as low as 10-12 kmph. Drop your speed any slower and you have to downshift to 1st to prevent stalling. Over time I have been occasionally able to half clutch my way from 8kmph on 2nd gear and pick up speed but honestly that is just lazy bad driving, bad for your clutch plate obviously and have been teaching myself to simply downshift instead. But yeah 10-11-12 kmph is your cutoff depending on the no of passengers. Let me know if that holds true for you as well.

Quote:
The lights on the sun blinds do not seem to work on my car. Am I missing something here? Tried everything possible (day/night time, ambient lights on/off, headlights on/off).
The lights on the sun blinds do not work on any of the variants upto Limited Plus. Not sure of the Trailhawk but pretty sure that all India variants simply have a dummy light on account of some cost cutting. The international variants do have them working so its pretty unfortunate. Ah well!
Quote:
The parcel tray does not stay tethered to the tail gate. Once you open the tail gate, the parcel tray falls off, and I have to tether it back again. Seems like it is too heavy for the small protrusions on the inside of the tail gate.
I can confirm that this as well. The hooks onto which the strings holding the tray are supposed to latch onto dont seem to be holding them. Was thinking of pointing this out during my first service.

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2020 at 17:27.
vyshak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:47   #2168
Distinguished - BHPian

Also two more important advice for all Compass owners:
1) When moving off from standstill , disengage the Electronic parking brake manually while holding the brake down instead of automatically. This way it puts much less strain on the engine, clutch and transmission. This will help increase engine life and prevent premature clutch failure.

2) Be very careful that any person (or child) sitting in the co-driver seat does not pull the EPB brake switch while driving! It acts like an emergency brake and brings the car to a standstill even from a high speed. It can be very dangerous if it happens on a road filled with traffic or on a highway. All new JC owners please be careful on this aspect.

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st December 2020 at 12:48.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:49   #2169
BHPian

So the weirdest thing happened with me, during the PDI of my Jeep Compass 4X2 Limited Plus MT a day earlier than I was supposed to take the delivery, I noticed that the second key wasn't working. So I asked the staff who replied that the he'll have the key's battery replaced.

When I came back to take the delivery, it turns out that the key wasn't infact of the Compass that I was buying and they had no idea what happened to the key. So they concluded that something went wrong at the stockyard itself and they keys got mixed up over there.

They've filed a formal complaint and I feel it should get resolved, but it's the first time I've experienced something like this in 20 years of purchasing and owning cars.

Has it happened to any of you?
Old 21st December 2020, 16:39   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
But yeah 10-11-12 kmph is your cutoff depending on the no of passengers. Let me know if that holds true for you as well.

That's precisely the cutoff for me as well. And I'm sure I will too sooner or later resort to the "lazy bad driving", right now the car's too new for me to do something like that.

And oh, once when it almost stalled the engine probably was about to turn off when it went into a very weird noisy mode. Really bad clatter started happening for a couple of seconds until I pushed the ignition button again.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st December 2020 at 17:28. Reason: fixing quote tags
Old 21st December 2020, 19:50   #2171
BHPian

For the low headlight issue I had gotten my compass HB3 lights replaced with a AUTOBAHN F5 which is working great still. Comparing it with my friends E350D headlights the difference was not huge.

Thus I would recommend AUTOBAHN M9 for the D series connector that comes in HID models.

EDIT: Was advised by the FNG to change the projector lenses as well but the default ones work fine too just a little more light leakage from the sides.

Last edited by ajaiD : 21st December 2020 at 19:53.
Old 21st December 2020, 20:59   #2172
BHPian

My Sep'2020 Longitude Plus Diesel MT Compass has done about 3.5K kms so far. Mix of Highway and city . I had to quickly adjust to the 2nd gear as I was also used to a Petrol earlier. And also the A pillar on the Compass which required some getting used to in terms of visibility. Took me a few days to get adjusted I guess.

I have nothing but positives for the car so far. The engine / size combination is great fun on the highways and also manageable in the city. With steady 110-120kph cruising on the highway, it returns about 18.5 Kpl. Because the high speed manners are great, I always get tempted with my right foot and hence the actual highway fuel efficiency is a tad lower I try and avoid night driving on highways, but am largely satisfied with the HIDs. The only mod which is coming up is leather-wrapping the steering wheel (Stanley?).

Some pics from a family trip to Mangalore we did in late September. Rained almost the entire duration !

Putting the boot space to good use. Thats 1 large trolley, 1 medium trolley, 2 large duffels, 1 cabin bag. Had to remove the parcel tray of course, but there was enough rear visibility
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20200919_064343.jpg

The Shiradi Ghat stretch (about 20 kms i guess) is concrete now. But the road from Hassan to Shiradi was in poor shape. We took the Charmadi route while returning.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20200919_125746.jpg

Chitrapura beach on the outskirts of Mangalore.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20200920_164853.jpg

Last edited by loki : 21st December 2020 at 21:05.
loki is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:03   #2173
BHPian

How do you clean the ski grey leather?

I've had my compass only for about 2 weeks and a 1000 km, but I already see a bit of darkening on the centre and door-side arm-rest. Now I'm not sure what can be used to clean the leather part?

Would really appreciate if fellow Jeep owners could help here a bit.
fast&curious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:44   #2174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How do you clean the ski grey leather?

I've had my compass only for about 2 weeks and a 1000 km, but I already see a bit of darkening on the centre and door-side arm-rest. Now I'm not sure what can be used to clean the leather part?

Would really appreciate if fellow Jeep owners could help here a bit.
Its not too difficult to clean, use any easily available spray type leather cleaner and clean with a soft brush and then wipe dry with a towel.
This is what I use:

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20201222_184227.jpg

For very dirty areas, you can steam clean (using a steam cleaner) and a mild soap like Ezee.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:53   #2175
BHPian

Took delivery of a Limited Plus Petrol AT today. Thank you all for answering my queries, which helped me in making my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20201222_150328.jpg  

Rilke is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks