Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 13:06   #2191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Yes, this is the Sports Plus Petrol.
Congratulations on your car! Looks undestated and elegant in this colour!

Sports Plus Petrol is available in the manual transmission only, right?

If you could please share the experience of the manual mated to the 1.4L petrol that would be wonderful.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th December 2020 at 13:09.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 15:11   #2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Please do share the driving experience of the manual petrol. It is an interesting option and given the kit the base variants offer it seems like good VFM.
I have really liked driving the car so far. Though I have driven it only for a day and a 30 min TD. I will give a very brief overview based on my above two experiences.

Performance

I felt the engine is tuned very well to drive both in the city as well as the highway. The moment you slot the gear into 3rd and push hard on the pedal( I was lucky enough to get a TD of Manual Petrol),you could feel the power and can literally see the car hitting triple digits very soon. The pull of the car was not very linear IMHO, but manageable. I am comparing this to the SELTOS turbo petrol engine, which did feel a lot more energetic/peppy in the lower gears and a lot more linear. However, do not get me wrong, the car is not at all sluggish in the lower gears.

Driving & Mileage

I am yet to take my personal car above 60 kms/hr. Sticking to the Owners Manual for now which advised the car not to take above that limit for the first 100km. With a heavily sedated driving of 100 odd kms I am managing to pull 13-14 kmpl/l, which involved 50-50 highway and city run. I am sure I will not be able to hold onto this number as I will let the car drive as its meant to be and not be soft on her after the initial 500 kms. I did see some owners having an issue with the drive-ability on lower speeds, but it was not an issue for me. It literally felt like it was owning those small patches or speed bumpers on the road.

Drove the car in bumper to bumper traffic in Delhi as well and didn't sweat at all.

Gearbox, Clutch & Visibility

The slotting of the gearbox is butter smooth. On crawling speeds or on speed bumpers you will have to shift down to the first gear, as the car will get stalled especially if you have passengers in the vehicle.

The clutch has a long travel and is very soft for now. Though the dead petal is causing minor issues while placing the foot , I am 6'1.

The visibility for me felt good within the car. Though had a bit of problem taking some sharp U-turns in the city. I was used to driving the Ford Ecosport(my father's car) before this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Congratulations on your car! Looks undestated and elegant in this colour!

Sports Plus Petrol is available in the manual transmission only, right?

If you could please share the experience of the manual mated to the 1.4L petrol that would be wonderful.
To answer your questions, Yes the Sports Variant is available only in the manual(Go stick shift!).

I've answered the second part of your question above.

Will give a much more detailed review of the variant once i have driven extensively.

Last edited by Solo : 28th December 2020 at 15:14.
Solo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:15   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have really liked driving the car so far. Though I have driven it only for a day and a 30 min TD. I will give a very brief
I test drove the petrol manual today and LOVED IT. I did back to back test drives of the diesel auto and petrol manual. The diesel auto was nice but the ride quality was surprisingly bumpy. The only reason I would want to stretch by budget and pay for an overpriced Compass would be the ride quality but the diesel auto with the 18inch rims felt very bumpy.

On the other hand, the Sport Plus Petrol Manual was so much nicer. I went in with least expectations and the car surprised me. Although I did a shorter test drive in the petrol manual, I felt drivability was much better. The car felt solid and really quiet. With the diesel, honestly, I was struggling a bit with the A pedal input. In the petrol however, I felt so much at home.

Regardless, the SA was not very keen on selling me a petrol manual. The good thing is Jeep has loaded up the base variant with a decent level of kit; it does miss out on a few deal breaker features for me personally but I love how the base petrol is such a nice drive and has few very essential features included (safety ones especially). The SA said there are not too many petrol manuals available and did not seem much interested. Overall, the TD experience was good. He will get back with his offer EOD today for the diesel S+ and Long+ (manual).

Last edited by Pancham : 28th December 2020 at 19:17.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:53   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
The beauty is here finally. Now I need to think of a good name.

Attachment 2098246
Congratulations, Solo on a fantastic ride and a fantastic color too. A petrol manual Jeep Compass is rare in Team-BHP and many would look up to you to keep sharing your drive reports

The Jeep Community is one of the perks of owning a Jeep. Let me know if you want to join the NCR Compass Owners group. We go on trails and like to help each other out. I will add you in.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 07:44   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Congratulations, Solo on a fantastic ride and a fantastic color too. A petrol manual Jeep Compass is rare in Team-BHP and many would look up to you to keep sharing your drive reports

The Jeep Community is one of the perks of owning a Jeep. Let me know if you want to join the NCR Compass Owners group. We go on trails and like to help each other out. I will add you in.

Achyuta and other experts here- Is it true that the petrol manual is usually sold without much discounts? Despite it being year end and the facelift coming in the SA did not seem very keen to sell me one.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:02   #2196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Achyuta and other experts here- Is it true that the petrol manual is usually sold without much discounts? Despite it being year end and the facelift coming in the SA did not seem very keen to sell me one.
It’s due to it being a rare model, same is the case with the Crysta and Fortuner petrol as well. Dealers keep dissuading from picking up the petrol version.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:24   #2197

Quote:

Thank you! Did get lucky in nabbing this beauty.

Sure. I'd love to be part of the group.

Quote:
It’s due to it being a rare model, same is the case with the Crysta and Fortuner petrol as well. Dealers keep dissuading from picking up the petrol version.
The dealer i was talking to told me that the car in this variant is made on a case to case basis, given that the new facelift model is expected to launch they might not have any further stock of that car.
Old 30th December 2020, 14:05   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
Pancham, discounts are a factor of stock available, and market demand.

the Sports Plus in 2019 was the 2nd variant, base variant being Sports. I do not recall large discounts available on Sports in 2019, though the Sport Plus came with good offers. One of my office colleagues got a 2019 model in early 2020 with almost 90k off. Note the year change impact.

Circa 2020, the Sports Plus is the base variant now and many shoppers go for that, and it is decently kitted too- so maybe the offers may not be as high as other variants.

Or it may be simply less stock, given that the facelift is almost here.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 30th December 2020 at 14:06.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:41   #2199
BHPian

Re: Big companies leaving India or retaining limited presence - What is the reason?

Hi Jeepers, I just got a JC Limited Plus 4X2 a few weeks ago in Magnesio Grey. I feel I need to add some colour via the brake callipers. Thinking of yellow or red.

However, I have the slightest idea about getting them coloured so I seek you kind souls to shed some light and share some info.

1. Would I void my warranty if I paint / cover the callipers?
2. Should I get the callipers painted or should I get calliper covers? Which is safer / better etc.
3. If I should get covers, which brand should I get? Does Jeep make them and sell them in India?
4. Are they safe to use? Do they affect braking or brakes in any bad way?

Thanks in advance. Cheers. Happy New Year
Old 30th December 2020, 22:27   #2200
Senior - BHPian

Re: Big companies leaving India or retaining limited presence - What is the reason?

Quote:
Pancham, discounts are a factor of stock available, and market demand.
Thanks Achyuta. With deep regrets, I have confess that the Compass bug which had bit me in 2018 has bit me again. My Thar booking stands but then delivery date is still 8 months away and that is pushing me to look elsewhere. Something which is expensive but a bit more practical.

But given the following factors, the dealers are just not offering enough discounts; not even what I read here:

1. Its year end.
2. Facelift is coming in one week. So my car will be an older version on delivery day.
3. I will get a 2020 manufactured car in 2021
4. Compass is not really a fast seller

I really got excited about the petrol manual but then after spending so much I might just want to get a nicer variant and one with a better overall range (read diesel). So Sports Plus is effectively out of contention.

Still hunting for a Long Plus but confused whether to go for an AT/MT or 4X2/4X4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
Hi Jeepers, I just got a JC Limited Plus 4X2 a few weeks ago in Magnesio Grey. I feel I need to add some colour via the brake callipers.
Hi Fast&curious. Sorry, if I am asking around a bit too much, but what deal did you get for your 4X2 Limited+?

Also, given the alloy design in your variant, do you think your colored calipers will be visible?
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 22:59   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
I really got excited about the petrol manual but then after spending so much I might just want to get a nicer variant and one with a better overall range (read diesel). So Sports Plus is effectively out of contention.

Still hunting for a Long Plus but confused whether to go for an AT/MT or 4X2/4X4.
If you are ok with diesel and want the full Jeep experience, then take the 4x4 for sure. 4x4 is what i miss on my car, nothing else- not the sunroof or power seats or auto wipers/loghts etc.

Manual might be more exciting, but auto is convenient in traffic- so choose based on your drive conditions. You may get good offers on last remaining Longitude and Longitude Plus stock as the facelift may be pricier.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 23:15   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are ok with diesel and want the full Jeep experience, then take the 4x4 for sure. 4x4 is what i miss on my car, nothing else- not the sunroof or power seats or auto wipers/loghts etc.

Manual might be more exciting, but auto is convenient in traffic- so choose based on your drive conditions. You may get good offers on last remaining Longitude and Longitude Plus stock as the facelift may be pricier.
My traffic conditions are same as yours. Until the beginning of this month I was based in Noida. Now in Kolkata due to WFH.

The thing is I was looking for an automatic and was pretty adamant about getting one this time; however, I did not quite like the 9 Speed AT box. Maybe I need to TD it one more time. That got me looking for Manual 4X4 and there is only one variant - Limited Plus - 4X4 Manual (D).
Old 31st December 2020, 21:00   #2203
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am planning to book a Jeep soon wanted to know which insurance would you recommend? The dealer quoted around 94k for insurance and was wondering if I'd save a few bucks by getting it from outside so wanted recommendations on which insurance provider to opt for.
Old 31st December 2020, 22:23   #2204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
Hey Guys,

I am planning to book a Jeep soon wanted to know which insurance would you recommend? The dealer quoted around 94k for insurance and was wondering if I'd save a few bucks by getting it from outside so wanted recommendations on which insurance provider to opt for.
Tata AIG offers really competitive rates. Ball park you will save almost 20k with them. This is for a limited plus 4x4 Diesel pricing. I got it from them when I purchased in August.
Old 31st December 2020, 22:59   #2205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Tata AIG offers really competitive rates. Ball park you will save almost 20k with them. This is for a limited plus 4x4 Diesel pricing. I got it from them when I purchased in August.
Thanks. Would you happen to know if Jeep has a tie-up with Tata Aig for hassle free claims?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks