Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 13:38   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Guys, can anyone help with the ex-showroom price of the Petrol Auto (Limited) in November 2017? Also, what features did it miss out compared to the Limited option variant considering this is the petrol version?
Old 6th March 2021, 18:27   #2342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, can anyone help with the ex-showroom price of the Petrol Auto (Limited) in November 2017? Also, what features did it miss out compared to the Limited option variant considering this is the petrol version?
You can refer to the below post for the 2017 price list.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4247026 (Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs)

The major difference between Limited and Limited Option is dual tone and Bi-Xenon Head Lamps. I think the features were same between Petrol and Diesel models.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 23:30   #2343
BHPian

I am hoping someone here can help me out. I was stalking a Harrier for 1-1.5 years and on the day of booking ended up with a Compass.

Tomorrow I have to tell the dealer whether I will go for a Petrol Automatic or Diesel Manual. My car will be driven in the city primarily (66%). I have driven VW Vento with a heavy Diesel clutch in the past.

I want to enjoy the torque that Diesel offers. Also, technically this could be our last Manual considering we are going to step into the electric world next. Hence I am strongly leaning towards Diesel Manual although petrol auto makes perfect sense in the city traffic. If anyone is driving a Diesel manual in the city, I would love to hear from you to gain some mindshare. Please share your thoughts on this team.

Thanks.

Last edited by abhatt : 7th March 2021 at 23:51.
Old 8th March 2021, 05:02   #2344
BHPian

Diesel manual is the most enjoyable and has best engine gearbox combination amongst all compass variants.It is at its best on the highways. The clutch is not so heavy but not too light too. The only shortcoming of compass in the city is the turning radius, which is too big for narrow roads or when you have to make a U turn.
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 06:46   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
I am hoping someone here can help me out. I was stalking a Harrier for 1-1.5 years and on the day of booking ended up with a Compass.

Tomorrow I have to tell the dealer whether I will go for a Petrol Automatic or Diesel Manual. My car will be driven in the city primarily (66%). I have driven VW Vento with a heavy Diesel clutch in the past.

I want to enjoy the torque that Diesel offers. Also, technically this could be our last Manual considering we are going to step into the electric world next. Hence I am strongly leaning towards Diesel Manual although petrol auto makes perfect sense in the city traffic. If anyone is driving a Diesel manual in the city, I would love to hear from you to gain some mindshare. Please share your thoughts on this team.

Thanks.
Congrats!

The diesel manual is the better one overall, but for the kind of traffic you have in Bangalore, the automatic makes better sense.

If your daily commute is through stop-and-go traffic don't bother with the manual.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 08:53   #2346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Congrats, the diesel manual is definitely the better choice among the two and more fun to drive. The clutch is moderate and not as hard as other VW cars (I also have a Skoda Laura Diesel apart from the Compass diesel manual and the Compass clutch is lighter than the Laura's by around 20%.) My wife who is 5'4" and of light build drives the Compass mostly and she never faces any difficulty in driving the Compass diesel due to clutch effort.
So be assured that it is not tough and probably easier than your Vento. VW cars generally have a very springy clutch with strong pushback.
Also you will find that the Jeep Compass engine noise is better controlled by damping than the Vento diesel.

Also most VW/ Skoda car owners like the driving dynamics of the Compass and there are a lot of Jeep Compass owners in our Delhi NCR Jeep owners community who are / were VW/Skoda car owners.

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th March 2021 at 09:14.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 10:17   #2347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Don't bother with the manual if your usage is primarily in Bangalore traffic, make a stretch for the diesel automatic. It'll be easier to sell used and better to live with. Heavy clutches finally damage your knees, whatever enthusiasts might preach, auto is the choice to make.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 10:29   #2348
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Congratulations! Here are some points

1. Since you're saying 34% of your drives will be on highways, you'll most definitely enjoy them a whole lot. Third gear onwards the acceleration just brings a smile on the face. I feel like going on drives all the time which is a big plus.

2. Negative reactions from people (that I faced), many people amongst friends and family are almost shocked to find out that I bought a manual in 2021. I have to keep explaining to some that it's the best combo that Compass came with for driving pleasure. Most of them don't understand what I'm talking about and I'm fine with that

3. A manual is a manual and on those extremely bad traffic days you will have to do the clutch work, yes it is light, but the foot has to move. Having said that I've been driving an MT since 18 years and 8 of those in NCR traffic, never felt too inconvenienced and I'm pretty habitual of MT. Like it's a part of driving.

4. I too feel it's the last manual (and perhaps diesel) vehicle I'll ever own. So this is like that piece of history which I'll enjoy for the near future. Just because everyone's buying an automatic, doesn't mean you do that too.
fast&curious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 10:32   #2349
BHPian

Thanks everyone.

I will be driving the Diesel Manual tomorrow in traffic and then take a call.

I cannot stretch my budget to 4x4 automatic.

My daily commute is not through heavy traffic (considering WFH) but I do get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic atleast twice a week for an hour or so.
Old 8th March 2021, 10:54   #2350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I will be driving the Diesel Manual tomorrow in traffic and then take a call.

I cannot stretch my budget to 4x4 automatic.

My daily commute is not through heavy traffic (considering WFH) but I do get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic atleast twice a week for an hour or so.
I am on the same boat. All this while I have been thinking about an automatic as my next car because I seriously cannot do manuals anymore; however, I cannot/do not want to stretch for a diesel auto Compass, also considering the it is not one of the best out there. Given this, I have made up my mind to go for the manual Longitude or Limited option. You give up on some amount convenience for a good driving experience. Plus, the diesel manual package with all the new interior bits offers quite a decent value, in my view.

Last edited by Pancham : 8th March 2021 at 10:56.
Old 9th March 2021, 13:35   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Guys who have taken or are awaiting delivery of the Compass, what are your views on the basic accessories kit which costs 20k? Did you opt for it? If not, what mats did you get ?
Old 9th March 2021, 19:56   #2352

Congratulations to all new Jeep owners. One bit of advise for all new Jeep buyers, I hope you have all gone through their post sales service. FCA and Service doesn't add up. All the best
Old 9th March 2021, 21:28   #2353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChidSrini75 View Post
Congratulations to all new Jeep owners. One bit of advise for all new Jeep buyers, I hope you have all gone through their post sales service. FCA and Service doesn't add up. All the best
Before making a general statement like this, please detail out your ownership and problems with Jeep Service with details. This will give credibility to your issues and also make other buyers aware. I know almost 300 Jeep Compass owners from our Delhi Ncr group and most of them are satisfied with service in Delhi NCR region.
Also your car is an exceptionally flood damaged vehicle by flooding in your basement so it is bound to be delayed compared to regular repairs.

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th March 2021 at 21:33.
Behemoth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 08:18   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post

4. I too feel it's the last manual (and perhaps diesel) vehicle I'll ever own. So this is like that piece of history which I'll enjoy for the near future. Just because everyone's buying an automatic, doesn't mean you do that too.
Precisely the reasons I went for a diesel manual a few months back, and definitely am enjoying the driving experience. When it is time for the next change, automatics will anyway become de rigeur. Might as well enjoy the last of the diesel manuals while I still can Have driven the Compass in both manual and auto forms (albeit for relatively short distances) and can definitely vouch for the more interesting and engaging driving experience of the manual version as compared to the average auto-box.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 16:13   #2355
BHPian

Drove the manual today. The experience was actually good. The clutch is not bad. Overall, the Jeep experience has changed my mind. Compass Manual has won me over Harrier Automatic XZA+. Could not stretch my budget for the Jeep Diesel Auto.

One of the primary factors was that every Harrier I sat in had something worn out which makes me question the long term durability of the car interiors or its probably the laziness of every TATA dealer who failed to keep the test drive car in pristine condition. Brown Seat covers worn out, Black plastic on the dashbord/doors looking dull and had a hint of white spots all over, Start/Stop button in every car had font that was erased, the wooden panel had some minor areas that were ruined upon plastic removal, ugly steering wheel design to name a few. I had enjoyed the Harrier door thud when I had checked out Harrier and Seltos but unfortunately the same thud felt inadequate after experiencing the Jeep. I still think it was mainly coz I over evaluated Harrier and hence Jeep won. Still love Harrier whenever I see it in my rear view. Time to let it go.

Looking forward to an excellent driving experience with Jeep in future.

Last edited by abhatt : 11th March 2021 at 16:23.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks