Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 17:47   #2656
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Yousivakutti, it depends on how badly you want an AT. That in turn would depend on your age and need for convenience. For example, I am 56 yrs old and I am actively considering the Limited petrol auto. I did not and will not test drive the diesel. For one, the Limited diesel auto is way too costly for my mileage and I do not want a manual. So that rules out the diesel Limited MT. That leaves the Limited petrol AT which suits my need and I feel that I should be able to eke out acceptable(for me) efficiency as I do have experience driving turbo petrols.

If I was 10 yrs younger I would go for the Limited diesel MT eyes closed. Trust this helps.

Last edited by Floyd de Souza : 24th August 2021 at 17:48. Reason: name spelling mistake
Floyd de Souza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 18:28   #2657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
On the other hand - Diesel variant is bit over for our kind of usage & might become a white elephant.
If you don't need the automatic, then the only factor you need to check is the refinement of both motors. Was not a major differentiator earlier, but the Multijet has become a bit more 'industrial' post BS6.

Diesel is cheaper to buy (20k less on-road here), will be cheaper to run and has always been considered the more fun option. What's the confusion unless you really need the AT?

Only confusion is for the base Sport where petrol comes in MT as well and has a difference of ~2.4 lakhs on-road between them.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th August 2021 at 18:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 18:58   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If you don't need the automatic, then the only factor you need to check is the refinement of both motors. Was not a major differentiator earlier, but the Multijet has become a bit more 'industrial' post BS6.

Diesel is cheaper to buy (20k less on-road here), will be cheaper to run and has always been considered the more fun option. What's the confusion unless you really need the AT?

Only confusion is for the base Sport where petrol comes in MT as well and has a difference of ~2.4 lakhs on-road between them.
As the running will be less. Thought that selection of Diesel option is a overkill. May I please request your view on the backseat comfort between JC & VW Taigun 1.5? Which one is better for 3 adults or 2 adults & 1 kid? Thanks a lot.
Old 24th August 2021, 23:31   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Going through the forum - looks like there are two main issues on the petrol AT (i). AT is jerky/sluggish (ii). Low mileage.
I own the facelifted petrol DDCT and have driven it for 2250 km till date, so can give my views on the transmission. The gearbox has been very smooth for me, be it bumper to bumper traffic here in Delhi NCR or the highways. There is the odd jerk here or there in the 1st gear but that too is quite rare. You really can't tell when the car is changing gears apart from the engine noise or the rev meter. My friends who have driven it have come away impressed with its smoothness too. It did, though, feel a little sluggish to me coming from NA engines with manual transmissions, but turns out you just need to get used to getting the revs in the proper band by modulating your throttle input (at least in my case) and now I am quite happy with its responsiveness too.

The mileage is a question of its own. It all depends on how heavy your foot is, especially in a turbocharged engine. Even on this particular thread, you will find varying answers to this. As for me, with my driving style, I get around 9-10 kmpl in the city and 12-14 kmpl on the highways (the highway mileage varies because if I keep it around 90-100 kmph, it gives 14+ kmpl and if I go around 115-120 kmph, it goes down to around 12-12.5 kmpl).

Quote:
May I please request your view on the backseat comfort between JC & VW Taigun 1.5? Which one is better for 3 adults or 2 adults & 1 kid?
I haven't seen the taigun in person so can't really comment on that, but, on paper, the compass has about 58mm over the taigun in width, so pretty comparable I would say. As far as my personal experiences go, 3 adults would be fine for short trips but not so comfortable in the longer runs, though, the space would be good for 2 adults and a child.
jeeplife_newbie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 01:22   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

May I please seek your inputs/suggestions to take a decision between petrol Limited (o) 1.4 MAIR DDCT or diesel Limited (o) 2.0D MT. Budget is not a constrain for both the variants. Thanks in advance.
I had a budget for Harrier XZA+. I wanted the Auto as my driving would be 60-70% in the city. Diesel Auto was way out of budget. However, Jeep Diesel Manual was so so much fun over Petrol AT, I decided to make my leg work a lil harder and go for the Manual. I recently drove 2250 km on highway and the amazing torque of Diesel on highways is one of the best feelings in the world however the same engine becomes a curse in bumper to bumper traffic.

Since your 90% travel is Highway, MT wins hands down. Trust me your next car will be Electric and you will miss these MTs. Also, its cheaper to buy and own. So unless you are in NCR where they have banned 10+ year old Diesel vehicles you should go for Diesel MT.
abhatt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 07:49   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
however the same engine becomes a curse in bumper to bumper traffic.
Why do you say this, can you please elaborate.
Old 25th August 2021, 12:24   #2662
BHPian

Must have accessories for a Jeep compass

Hello there !

Have just booked a white Jeep Compass limited ( Diesel , 4*2). Please help with my predicament ! My previous purchases such as - Santro Xing , Honda City ZX and Duster RXL always forced me to do a massive research on accessories required for the car while I was waiting for the delivery.

Jeep compass is fully loaded , comes with leather seat covers, music system etc. Foot mats/ car cover etc are promised by dealership. What should I add to the car from outside ?

I could list following

1. In Dash camera ( have never used , please tell me which brand and where to buy from )
2. A decent perfume
3. I am lost from this point on , dont know what else to buy.

Well !! something has to be bought otherwise the waiting period becomes all the more difficult , if you know what I mean.
car FANATICUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 12:40   #2663
Team-BHP Support

Re: Must have accessories for a Jeep compass

Congrats on your booking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car FANATICUS View Post
1. In Dash camera ( have never used , please tell me which brand and where to buy from )
Check this out:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...hread-174.html (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

Quote:
3. I am lost from this point on , dont know what else to buy.
Check this out:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-your-car.html (Small, yet value-adding Accessories for your car)
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 16:16   #2664
BHPian

Re: Must have accessories for a Jeep compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by car FANATICUS View Post
Hello there !

Have just booked a white Jeep Compass limited ( Diesel , 4*2).

Jeep compass is fully loaded , comes with leather seat covers, music system etc. Foot mats/ car cover etc are promised by dealership. What should I add to the car from outside ?
Congratulations, Fanaticus. Wish you many miles of smiles on the Jeep
While you are right- the Limited is quite loaded, here are my suggestions in addition to your list-

1. Jeep OEM rubber slush mats and boot mats. Note that showroom will put in carpet mats. Would suggest take the rubber ones- pay the differential if required- it is worth it

2. Jeep OEM mudflaps

3. Tire inflator

4. You can choose to do a ceramic or PPF coating.

5. Cross bars can give a nice and unique look too
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 16:32   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Why do you say this, can you please elaborate.
I feel its difficult to maneuver a 2.0 Diesel MT in bumper to bumper traffic. Half clutch should be avoided as much as possible. So i often shift between 1 and Neutral. Rarely can you transition to Gear 2 considering the initial thrust which takes the car much further than it would in a lower powered engine.

On top of it a heavier clutch with longer travel is difficult to operate compared to my 1.2 Polo Petrol.
abhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:03   #2666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
May I please request your view on the backseat comfort between JC & VW Taigun 1.5? Which one is better for 3 adults or 2 adults & 1 kid? Thanks a lot.
My pick would be the Compass.

Taigun is very good for two people, but Compass feels like a wider (though still a bit tight) and airy cabin for three.

Legroom is very similar and the VAG twins (Kushaq and Compass below, with driver seat set to my height) may have a slight advantage even -

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20210712_130828.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20210825_165820.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2021 at 19:44. Reason: Image resized
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:14   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplife_newbie View Post
I own the facelifted petrol DDCT and have driven it for 2250 km till date, so can give my views on the transmission. The gearbox has been very smooth for me, be it bumper to bumper traffic here in Delhi NCR or the highways. There is the odd jerk here or there in the 1st gear but that too is quite rare. You really can't tell when the car is changing gears apart from the engine noise or the rev meter.
Thanks a lot. May I please check how is the petrol DDCT performance during over taking another car speeding 100KMs and also, performance during drive towards uphill? If the car needs to be parked in a steep slope and drive forward, is there any issue faced?
Old 25th August 2021, 17:15   #2668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My pick would be the Compass.

Taigun is very good for two people, but Compass feels like a wider (though still a bit tight) and airy cabin for three.

Legroom is very similar and the VAG twins (Kushaq and Compass below, with driver seat set to my height) may have a slight advantage even -

Attachment 2197963

Attachment 2197964
Also I would like to add here that the Compass transmission tunnel in the rear is almost flat while the one in the Taigun/ Kushaq is bigger. The seat base of the Compass is also contoured flat for seating three in comfort. While in the Taigun/ Kushaq it is contoured for seating two in comfort.

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th August 2021 at 17:19.
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 18:04   #2669
Senior - BHPian

All,cross posting from another thread.

Jeep recommends only a 10% Ethanol blend for its petrol engines.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/impact...petrol-engines

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 25th August 2021 at 18:06.
Old 25th August 2021, 20:47   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Hi Compass'ite's,

Wanted to know does the Compass 4x4 come with a low ratio torque multiplying transfer case or is it just a torque vectoring multi-pack, Haldex type clutch pack shuffling power between front to rear?
Also, does the 2021 facelift have a Trailhawk variant?

Am seriously contemplating a 4x4, and with the death of the Duster AWD there are not many 4x4 options who can double up as a single car / daily driver.
The THAR cannot be used as a single car garage. And Vitamin - M does not permit me to look beyond Rs 3 million OTR.

Most Viewed