Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 11:12   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Has the Jeep Compass prices revised post cess hike? Can anyone share the revised price list?
Will be interesting to see if the Compass falls under 5% or 7% cess bracket. The laden GC is well under the 170mm limit slab mentioned by the government.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:10   #272
BHPian

Have a question here, since revised price is not announced yet does this mean FCA is absorbing the Cess increase? Or sales/billing is on hold?

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeep.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will be interesting to see if the Compass falls under 5% or 7% cess bracket. The laden GC is well under the 170mm limit slab mentioned by the government.
It seems they themselves are not clear else why should it take so long for them to come out with revised prices.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th September 2017 at 14:18. Reason: Merging, as requested :)
Old 14th September 2017, 12:46   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Oh is this how it works?
I always used to think that the GC is as per the certified specifications. "Laden" is a variable and one can simply add 20 cement bags to lower it.
Shouldn't it be done in specific conditions rather than adding a "variable" of load? Just like the rule (right or wrong) that car length is measured without the spare wheel?

Otherwise, why would M&M add that dummy "protection plate" under the XUV/Scorpio to fiddle with the GC?

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th September 2017 at 12:47.
Old 14th September 2017, 13:05   #274
BHPian

Heard that they're still testing the 4x4 and that'ss the reason why we don't see many in the showrooms. Is it true?
Old 14th September 2017, 14:06   #275
Senior - BHPian

Have been seeing Compass daily on roads. Had a interesting conversation with one of my relatives who has booked it. He did not know initially that its from FCA and Fiat is part of it !
I think having Jeep name on the car works better
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:37   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh is this how it works?
I always used to think that the GC is as per the certified specifications. "Laden" is a variable and one can simply add 20 cement bags to lower it.
Shouldn't it be done in specific conditions rather than adding a "variable" of load? Just like the rule (right or wrong) that car length is measured without the spare wheel?

Otherwise, why would M&M add that dummy "protection plate" under the XUV/Scorpio to fiddle with the GC?
It is as per certified specifications, which is that laden ground clearance needs to be calculated with a weight of 400 kgs.
Old 14th September 2017, 15:34   #277
BHPian

Paid a visit to Sky Moto, Pune for getting some minor work done in my Punto.

There I met Compass so closely for the first time. It was a blue limited 4x4.
My enthusiasm to check her in and out went out of window as soon as I discovered that it became victim of recent heavy rains in and around mumbai. Guys at service center told me that the SUV got more than half submerged for long period. It happened somewhere near lonavala or panvel.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeep.jpg
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 15:46   #278
BHPian

Took a comprehensive test drive today. And according to my one and a half year stint with my s cross ddis 200, I conclude this has very much similar driving dynamics and a tank like build quality as expected from Jeep. Will be a natural upgrade for all the s cross owners out there including me. Pricing is spot on from Jeep and it'll be a revival product for Fiat India.
blacklist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 18:48   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

The biggest problem was the horrible approach angle thanks to that lip below the bumper. It was scraping everywhere. One of the mud flaps also came out while reversing out of a small ditch. There is no problem with the breakover and departure angles. There has to be an after-market solution to the approach angle, otherwise owners who want to take the Compass off-road have to be prepared for damage to the front bumper.
Is there any easy way to remove the lip below the bumper?
This is horribly low, and as some owners have reported, scrapes over tall speed breakers too.

Coming to actual off road prowess, Carwale has recently uploaded a video, comparing Compass, Tiguan, Hexa, V-Cross & Fortuner.

Contrary to expectations, the Compass & the Tiguan failed to clear their hill climb obstacle.
Whereas the Fortuner & V-Cross blasted through the obstacle, the Hexa still managed to clear it with some patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
At least 2 owners of the newly launched Jeep Compass are complaining of headlights fogging up due to moisture & water seeping inside headlight issues.
Looks like a QC miss.
Aren't all cars in a manufacturing line, subjected to a shower test, to identify leakages and condensation issues, like this.
Old 14th September 2017, 19:05   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Contrary to expectations, the Compass & the Tiguan failed to clear their hill climb obstacle.
Whereas the Fortuner & V-Cross blasted through the obstacle, the Hexa still managed to clear it with some patience.
Not surprising at all considering the Compass and Tiguan are softroaders.

Hexa and Fortuner are body on frame vehicles, the latter being a truck in SUV clothes and the VCross being a pure off-road truck.

Compass might put up a fight in the Trailhawk version, but even then - I doubt it will be able to challenge the likes of Fortuner and VCross off-road.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 03:07   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there any easy way to remove the lip below the bumper?
This is horribly low, and as some owners have reported, scrapes over tall speed breakers too.
The front bumper hangs really low and scrapes on even small undulations. I had uploaded a video earlier of the Compass but that was heavily edited by the gopro app called Quik. I am uploading one more without editing. If you watch the last part you will understand how low it actually is. A 2nd gen Honda City of bhpian dip27in did not scrape at this place!

Quote:
Coming to actual off road prowess, Carwale has recently uploaded a video, comparing Compass, Tiguan, Hexa, V-Cross & Fortuner.

The V-Cross was shod with AT Tyres. The Compass with proper tyres should be able to do that obstacle as well. I feel the Compass will be able to meet expectations if shod with proper tyres, provided something can be done about the front bumper. Waiting for somebody to do it and show us the way
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 03:23   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The front bumper hangs really low and scrapes on even small undulations. ... If you watch the last part you will understand how low it actually is. A 2nd gen Honda City of bhpian dip27in did not scrape at this place!
That's a major miss !! Even if we consider that this is not supposed to be an off-roader, scraping is unforgivable for the Compass.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 08:49   #283
Senior - BHPian

Only solution that looks possible is to fit the regular Compass with the Trail Hawk bumpers?

Did Jeep do all the testing on tarmac? This would have been a known design issue. However they seem to have compromised the approach angle for better looks. Frustrati!
Old 15th September 2017, 10:19   #284
BHPian

In this Youtube video (around 5:16), the reviewer says that the Fuel Lid is always unlocked, even when the car is locked ! Looks like it's in the USA.

Surely this can't be the case? Not something I would want in India - imagine coming back to your car when you're far from home and finding no fuel in the tank!

Can someone confirm whether or not this is the case for the Indian edition of the Compass?

Fusion2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 11:17   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
In this Youtube video (around 5:16), the reviewer says that the Fuel Lid is always unlocked, even when the car is locked ! Looks like it's in the USA.
This looks same here in India also. I press opened the fuel flap of a limited 4x4 in a service center just to check the capless fuel filler system. Although the car was locked, the flap opened. I double checked by closing and reopening the flap. Normally, if the flap is closed once, it can only be opened by a release lever from inside. If this is true, there wouldn't be any fuel flap release lever in the cabin. There is though an emergency fuel flap release in the boot as shown in below pictures from official review.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-fuel-release1.jpg
Jeep Compass : Official Review-fuel-release2.jpg

Also wondering where is the boot release lever located? Can't find it in the review.

Quote:
The front bumper hangs really low and scrapes on even small undulations. I had uploaded a video earlier of the Compass but that was heavily edited by the gopro app called Quik. I am uploading one more without editing.
From the presence of a protective bumper lip, it's evident that the approach angle is not at all satisfactory for a Jeep. In the video, is that the bumper that scrapped or the protective lip? I wouldn't mind lip getting scrapped.
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks