Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 19:58   #3016
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklitex View Post
Hey folks, need some advice from bhpians who drive the diesel manual compass. Had shortlisted and booked the sport diesel compass. But I’m really concerned about driving a manual, with long clutch travel, in Bangalore traffic. Although I’m going to be living 6-7 kms from my office, it would usually take 1 hr to cover that distance based on my previous experience. I plan to drive the car for 12-14k per year, with 5k in the city. However, those 5k kms will probably be 90% of my driving time because of the traffic.
Is this doable or should I start listening to my head which is screaming to buy an automatic?
DPF issues could crop up with the driving pattern you mentioned. I feel petrol might be a better option.
enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 02:27   #3017

Quote:
Is this doable or should I start listening to my head which is screaming to buy an automatic?
Go for Petrol Sport Automatic. I was in same dilemma as you are now. However after many brainstorming decision with family and friends, got delivered the Black Beast 3 weeks back.🙂
Arvind_Alloli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 04:15   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although I’m going to be living 6-7 kms from my office, it would usually take 1 hr to cover that distance based on my previous experience. I plan to drive the car for 12-14k per year, with 5k in the city. However, those 5k kms will probably be 90% of my driving time because of the traffic.
An hour for 6-7 kms sounds like torture; one I'd like to reduce as much as I can.

Possibly a bit OT, but wouldn't a vehicle with ADAS which would move the car and stop it based on the vehicle in front be a boon? (I suppose Mahindra XUV700 has it).

Though I personally love MT in general and also enjoy a torquey diesel, and the Fiat 2.0 diesel in the Jeep is wonderful, your use case indicates an AT.

Petrol would also save you from likely DPF issues.

Last edited by Poitive : 25th November 2021 at 04:17.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 07:30   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks, need some advice from bhpians who drive the diesel manual compass. Had shortlisted and booked the sport diesel compass. But I’m really concerned about driving a manual, with long clutch travel, in Bangalore traffic. Although I’m going to be living 6-7 kms from my office, it would usually take 1 hr to cover that distance based on my previous experience. I plan to drive the car for 12-14k per year, with 5k in the city. However, those 5k kms will probably be 90% of my driving time because of the traffic.
I would suggest you pick a Manual Compass and for the differential and some additional money pick a small used hatchback.
That daily 1 hour drive for 7 kms means heavy stop go traffic and in case of Compass manual, it will be lot of half clutch drive. Getting tired is one thing but the wear and tear will be significant too. Infact I believe your daily drive will be stressful even for auto gear box.
You should definitely use a beater car for your daily office drive and use Compass for other drives in the city and highway.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 07:44   #3020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAbhinavRajp View Post
Anyone knows if it is possible to install Fog lamps in new Jeep Compass 2021 model?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Hi, did you come across any suggestions on this on this forum or from anywhere else? I am also planning to get Sport MT Diesel, and have received mixed inputs on this question.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:01   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManishSoni View Post
Hi, did you come across any suggestions on this on this forum or from anywhere else? I am also planning to get Sport MT Diesel, and have received mixed inputs on this question.
Unfortunately none and surprisingly fog lights are not available anywhere on any website. I have been searching for fog lamp setup and DRL upgradation but not sure why it's not available as yet. Possibly demand is less that's why it is not available in after market also.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:46   #3022
Senior - BHPian

So I faced a real issue this time. My phone wirelessly connected to Apple Car play and it kept disconnecting every 1-2 minutes. It happened thrice and then once before. I only faced this issue yesterday.

Has anyone else faced this?
Old 25th November 2021, 10:17   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks, need some advice from bhpians who drive the diesel manual compass.
Nowadays in Bangalore traffic, its become a pain to drive any manual. If you have finalized on Compass, I feel you should go ahead and as @sunikkat suggested below, use a beater car for the daily grind, any decent amt should work fine.

Last week i had been to Jeep camp near Bannerghatta, SA told me there is a good discount on Longitude and the price difference with Sport is minimal, maybe you could check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I would suggest you pick a Manual Compass and for the differential and some additional money pick a small used hatchback.
Exactly my thoughts, currently im using Spark as beater car, cant imagine the stress it has gone through, poor soul. Though i am looking for pre-owned Compass for highway runs and a decent amt for city.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:56   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Nowadays in Bangalore traffic, its become a pain to drive any manual. If you have finalized on Compass, I feel you should go ahead and as @sunikkat suggested below, use a beater car for the daily grind, any decent amt should work fine.
Last week i had been to Jeep camp near Bannerghatta, SA told me there is a good discount on Longitude and the price difference with Sport is minimal, maybe you could check.

Exactly my thoughts, currently im using Spark as beater car, cant imagine the stress it has gone through, poor soul. Though i am looking for pre-owned Compass for highway runs and a decent amt for city.
As mentioned by most of T-bhp experts, Compass in petrol is dull and mileage is too low and will hurt you in the long run. If you are looking for new Sport, then check out Longitude variant as there is 1L+ discount on offer.

I personally feel Diesel MT makes absolute sense on highway and you can get a beater car for city run as suggested. I recently got a preowned Compass Sport last week and its a gem on highway and brings you ultimate driving pleasure.
Carz77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 20:12   #3025
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it! Have decided on not going ahead with Compass as I don’t like the petrol automatic that much and manual as pointed out by most would be a nuisance to drive in Bangalore traffic. Going to wait for the Slavia, if that’s good enough will buy it, otherwise will go with Taigun (hopefully they fix the roofliner in both by then).

W.r.t the Xuv700 suggestion, the ADAS version (AX7 I believe) is barely in my company’s leasing budget, I’m sure by the time I get delivery it would be out of budget due to price increases. I personally liked Harrier a lot more compared to XUV700 but removed it from my short list due to the large amount of issues people were having.

W.r.t the beater car suggestion, that’s a good suggestion, however I don’t want my new car to be reduced to just highway drives, I would want to take it everywhere and use it as much as possible, so just can’t convince myself to go with this approach

Again thanks a lot for the advice, much appreciated!
darklitex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 06:57   #3026
BHPian

I drove the Compass Petrol yesterday. I must say that the build, fit, and quality of materials of the facelifted Jeep feels several notches above what it used to be. The car feels sophisticated. But the Compass' narrow cabin means that it's best suited for four. The Tucson's back seat is on another level altogether.

Unfortunately, my drive was in peak traffic and I couldn't stretch the engine. But as an urban runabout, I had no complaints from the engine and transmission in terms of responsiveness or refinement.

Let's see what the highway drive reveals. Anyone here can provide a comparison between the Tucson Petrol and the Compass Petrol?
Pyrotek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 19:01   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
The other option is to plug it into the USB port but we will have wires dangling all over. So I dont want to go this route either. So I am extremely confused now.
I also chose not to hardwire the dashcam in my car. I have routed it from the roof-liner, then tucked the wire behind the A-pillar cover, post that it has been concealed under the door beading and finally from under the glove box to the USB port.
You can see the routing path in the video below. It's an easy task, shouldn't take more than 10-15 mins. The wires are pretty much hidden except for the last part near the footwell, where I have kept the excess wire as well.

deltasierra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 02:03   #3028

Low intensity head lamps

I recently undated my reflector headlamps with Jeep’s original HID projector (Phillips 25W HIDs)

The nee HIDs are the weakest HID I have ever seen. Even my bike’s projector ( Osaram 35 W HID) throws much more light that this.

Also with low beam setting the lights vibrate. Seems like projector or solenoid plate is loose leading to the vibration. This vibrating light goes away if I put it on high beam or turn off engine.

Really disappointed with the upgrade.
Any suggestion how to fix this vibration and increase light intensity?
Old 29th November 2021, 09:57   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So I faced a real issue this time. My phone wirelessly connected to Apple Car play and it kept disconnecting every 1-2 minutes. It happened thrice and then once before. I only faced this issue yesterday.

Has anyone else faced this?
Few more issues in my less than a month old Compass:

1. The chrome lining on the hatch door (right above the Jeep logo) is coming out. The glue seems to have dried and come off.

2. The driver side door feels weird when you try to open from the inside. It gets stuck in the first attempt and then you have to push hard (with your elbow) to open it.

Mats are not yet delivered.
Old 29th November 2021, 12:29   #3030
BHPian

Just did a trip from Pune to Mumbai this weekend and managed to get a mileage of 18.8 KPL in the diesel manual. Fortunately don't have any rattles in the car so far
Attached Images

AbhishekMushran is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks