Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 20:22   #3631
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantk View Post
As Pancham said, it does not work in Compass.
ah! that sucks!

Quote:
Right. So I think there is indeed no way. Switch off and then switch on again just to continue listening to music is a pain
I can relate though, my honda city has a push button start system and I cannot turn off only the engine, pressing the button shuts everything off!
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 01:12   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
My car is in the workshop. In the process of removing and refitting the bonnet, the service Center folks dropped the bonnet on the floor and it created a dent and a scratch in two places. Car is 6 months old.

They are offering to do dent removal and repainting. But the repainting will not be like the factory one. How do I go about this? Do I accept their repair (or) insist on a replacement from factory?

Accidents happen. But these guys at a next level. Need your suggestions
Ask them to replace the panel. You are right. The repair will not be same as factory quality and the difference will be apparent especially on the bonnet which is a high visibility area and any mismatches will be hard to miss or hide.

They are charging premium money but the premium care for the product seems to be missing.
Old 7th June 2022, 11:22   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
My car is in the workshop. In the process of removing and refitting the bonnet, the service Center folks dropped the bonnet on the floor and it created a dent and a scratch in two places. Car is 6 months old.

They are offering to do dent removal and repainting. But the repainting will not be like the factory one. How do I go about this? Do I accept their repair (or) insist on a replacement from factory?

Accidents happen. But these guys at a next level. Need your suggestions

Seems to be standard operating procedure for Jeep / FCA. I suggest that you escalate the matter to FCA India via customer care if the dealer is not willing to replace the bonnet.
I received a poorly / repainted 'new' compass where the discrepancies were not observable during vehicle check 2 days before delivery as the car was in stockyard.
On day of delivery I spotted a very small patch of peeled paint on the front plastic bumper. the dealer took away the car 2 days after delivery to their Akurdi service centre in Pune to 'rectify' the paint. The car was delivered in the evening only to find that in repainting the spot they had ended up painting only half the bumper, fingerprints in wet paint, more uneven surfaces as a result of poor polishing that were painted over. Oh yes and the right side which had no issues were spill marks of some chemicals which were not getting cleared. There was also a black screw driver in the passenger seat. That made me inspect the car inside out only to find that on almost every panel the paint was applied over some dust/debris leaving permanent small humps all over.

After escalating the matter I took the car to the workshop couple of days later and while I was seeking their explanation in the waiting room for customers I saw that a large crowd had gathered around my car. Fearing someone had hit the car, I rushed out to see. To my shock the service personnel had put my car in the jack, had removed the left front wheel and was trying to remove the black plastic fender and was trying to gain access to the cabin footwell on the passenger side. After repeated demands for stopping the activity they said sir we forgot your keys in the cabin and locked the car by mistake. That sealed the decision for me and I took the car back home. I have escalated this issue as well as the more serious issue of the entire painting of the car to FCA India and is currently ongoing. If they cannot even paint a spot on the bumper properly they will ruin the car if I get the overall car done from them. Don't know how spacious the service is in Mumbai but here in Pune it is cramped up and there's more chances of damage to the car in the service center than on the road.

MOD NOTE : Please go through our Posting Etiquettes before making any further post.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th June 2022 at 22:22. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
argchoff is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th June 2022, 21:04   #3634
Senior - BHPian

It is very sad for me to read this have happened to you acquillew. The Jeep Compass was/is still a car I have shortlisted for purchase end of year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
e) It is NOT a reliable car. Can break down on you and leave you the mercy of untrained service professionals.
f) Stay away from this car (my experience/opinion)
Could you tell me if this has happened to you more than once in the last few years? I read It's a 2017 model.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2022 at 22:34. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 21:35   #3635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Could you tell me if this has happened to you more than once in the last few years? I read It's a 2017 model.
3 breakdowns in the last 4 months. Thought I have been told that the new Compass is better in terms of electrical wiring throughout the car.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2022 at 22:34. Reason: Spacing.
acquillew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 10:49   #3636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
3 breakdowns in the last 4 months. Thought I have been told that the new Compass is better in terms of electrical wiring throughout the car.
That is very odd coincidence, 3 breakdowns in only 4 months, was it bulletproof since 2017 otherwise?
Could it be an initial issue not fully fixed by the service people that kept recurring?

Last edited by Maky : 8th June 2022 at 10:53.
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:09   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
That is very odd coincidence, 3 breakdowns in only 4 months, was it bulletproof since 2017 otherwise?
Could it be an initial issue not fully fixed by the service people that kept recurring?
At this point, it is difficult to tell which was it. Yes the car ran good with only a clutch change required. I did that only recently when it became overly hard.
acquillew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:14   #3638
BHPian

I somehow feel that issues apart from rattles and mileage could be dealer/ASS specific.

As part of my ongoing endeavour to upgrade, one of the cars on my shortlist is the Compass, I have spoken to 6 customers randomly to get some feedback on the car. Of the 6, 3 were petrol auto owners, 2 diesel manual and 1 diesel auto. Ownership periods ranging from 2 months to 4 years and all owner driven in Mumbai. None could be called enthusiasts as such.

All were happy with reliability and the issues were related to the petrol auto gearbox(not reliability related) and mileage and minor infotainment and passenger seat belt reminder without passenger. None reported any rattling issue.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 12:17. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Floyd de Souza is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:32   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
here in Pune it is cramped up and there's more chances of damage to the car in the service center than on the road
While I do not own a Compass, I did get a chance to visit one of their authorized service centers here in Bangalore sometime back when I was evaluating the Compass as a potential customer. One of the trim/color combo I was interested in, was available at their service center at that point and the sales guy was kind enough to allow me inside their service area to have a look at the car. I was appalled at the state of the workshop - as you said, it was VERY cramped, with barely any space for people to move around, let alone cars. This was probably the most cramped service center I have ever seen, and I say this after owning Tata, Mahindra, and Maruti cars, among others.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 07:13   #3640

I decided to write this review upon the completion of 1500 km on my new Jeep Compass 4x4 diesel automatic.

I considered the following options before the purchase of my new car:
1. XUV 700
2. Tata Harrier
3. Hyundai Creta
4. Kia Seltos
5. Skoda Octavia

Background
I used to work with Amazon, at a managerial level within Amazon Fashion. Looking at the culture within the firm, and my previous organization (Hotstar), I was convinced that buying a car or a house was a tough and a risky deal. The work culture and politics at these firms are atrocious, and all I wanted at that time was to save enough which could give me an early retirement. Buying a car would eat into my savings, and I wasn't willing to work 14 - 16 hours a day for another few years, just to experience the pleasures of driving. Don't get me wrong! I absolutely love driving. Whenever I did get a weekend off, I used to book a Zoomcar on weekends to go on weekend getaways around me. Amongst the cars which I had driven (Ciaz, Ecosport, Desire, Ritz), my downright favourite was Ford Ecosort.

Then came a much welcome change. I decided to leave Amazon for good, and joined Whirlpool, in Gurgaon. A few months into the firm made me realise earning didn't have to be so tough. That is when, I started taking test drives of a few cars, vis-à-vis XUV 700, Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Skoda Octavia, Tata Harrier & Jeep Compass.

About the Cars
Tata Harrier was the first car I took a test drive of. It was a XZA+ dark edition, with automatic transmission. I drove the car in both the Sports mode & the Eco mode, and the Sports mode does bring a smile to your face. The pickup of the car, the smooth gear shifts, powered by a higher flow of fuel in to the car gives it an amazing punch. The car easily reaches a speed of 120 kmph, and when you want to slow down to make lane cuts, the car tells you slowing down isn't really necessary. It has great balance, and much less body roll compared to the likes of XUV 700 and Creta. I liked almost everything about the car, except probably the dashboard, which looks a bit dated, with a plastic touch amidst a visibly wooden texture dashboard, which doesn't really give a wow feel now. Add to it a smaller than its class, dim & a slightly unresponsive display, and you feel the interiors are a bit let down. The steering wheel probably is the best to hold in its class, and the visibility from the driver's seat gives you an amazing visibility of the hood and the road ahead, making you feel in control of the car, despite its class leading width.

I rode the Jeep Compass petrol limited next. The interiors wowed me immediately, and gave me a feeling that I was probably sitting in a BMW or an Audi. The ride height and driver's seat visibility was not as good as the Harrier, but it was definitely not a deal breaker. What was a deal breaker though, was the response of the gearbox when you went full throttle. It took about 2 seconds to realize that it was supposed to be pushed, and then gave you a surge of power. But one always had the feeling that the late power delivery, although enough to push you back on your driver's seat, would be rendered useless when trying to overtake within city limits. The rolling speed of the car was confident aspiring though, meaning you probably wouldn't miss the delay in power delivery much on a highway if you have decided to cruise at 120 kmph. What impressed me the most about the car was its stability and confident inspiring drive while making lane cuts at high speeds. The Jeep Compass gives you the thickest wheels amongst its competitors, and this is easily reflected in the grip and confidence the car inspires. Add to that the torsional rigidity of the car which limits the body roll, and you get a car which is easy to handle at high speeds. The salesperson asked me specifically to test its off-road abilities by bringing the wheels of the left side of the car off road, and boy did it eat up the muddy roads with ease, not passing the bumps to the passengers on board.

The XUV 700 was an easy car to drive. The acceleration and responsive of the car was easily better than Harrier diesel or Compass petrol, and it helped me overtake other cars (Seltos, Creta) with ease within city limits. The road presence of the midnight black is awe inspiring, and the road visibility from the driver's seat is comparable to the best in the segment (vis-à-vis Harrier). After driving the Harrier and the Compass, I did feel that the damper on the suspension was a bit soft, which meant whenever I went over a bump, the car seems to bounce a bit longer than the other two, whose dampers immediately absorbed the suspension movement post the impact. I drove the AX7L, and despite the leather finish on the dashboard and the steering wheel, the interiors still felt a bit wanting, after sitting in the Compass.

After this, I drove the Skoda Octavia. To sum it up, driving it will probably give you as much fun as having a one night stand with a hot model. The grunt which the car gives when you put your feet on the accelerator, backed by its gearbox's responsiveness is unparalled amongst the other cars mentioned here. This was hands down the best and the fastest car to drive on a long stretch of a good highway. The interiors are a bit understated with respect to the quality of the drive this car offers, and the suspension is setup on the stiffer side, but the drive quality puts a smile on your face. The cons you ask? A ground clearance of 137 mm (BMW 3 series has this at 164 mm), a city mileage of around 6 - 6.5 kmpl and a lack of sunroof (not a big deal). While this car spoiled all other cars for me in terms of its driving dynamics and abilities, its limitations in terms of lack of ground clearance and low city mileage made it come off as a good second car, if you already had a do-it-all kind of a car in your garage.

Coming to my car
By this time, I had already booked myself an XUV 700 Automatic AX5 petrol. Although, its waiting time kept ticking off 1 month at a time in terms of its delivery. This was when I decided to drive the diesel automatic of the Compass. The interiors and driving dynamics was already a proven winner for me after driving the petrol variant. The diesel 4x4 model did initially feel like it had a lag when giving it a full throttle push, but within a short span of time, I got used to it, and began to realise that acceleration of the car had enough to push me back in my seat, and more. The 9 speed gearbox was smooth in gear changes, and sitting in a sophisticated interior, within a car with an amazing suspension setup felt like the complete package. Activate the 4x4, and you feel the car become a part of you, which each of the wheels responding to your whims and fancies. This would be a subjective point of view, but in terms of road presence, I felt the front of Jeep Compass didn't feel you wanting after looking at the midnight black XUV 700. I was basically purchasing my first car, a car which had a do it all attitude, and this is how I ranked all these cars after driving them:
1. Jeep Compass 4x4 Automatic Diesel (Amazing Interiors, Good road presence in its Red/Black avatar, Good Pickup, Good body control)
2. XUV 700 (Large Boot space (in a 5 seater), Amazing Road presence, an almost good interior space with a presence of a lot of hard plastic, good 0 - 100 kmph)
3. Tata Harrier (Good body control, Good road presence, Good pickup when in sports mode, average interiors)
4. Skoda Octavia (As exciting as that lady dressed in Red across the bar, albeit not practical)
5. Creta (A good overall package, but lacking enough punch when it comes to quality of interiors/ sub-optimal exteriors, lack of control while driving, compared to others)
6. Seltos ( Good exteriors, Good interiors, stiff suspension, lack of feeling of control while driving, compared to the others)

Final Verdict

I decided to go for the Red Black Limited 4x4 Diesel Jeep Compass. Having driven it for 1500 km, I keep falling in love with the car more and more every single day. I am learnt to control the acceleration of the car as per my whims and fancies, and the plus interiors, powered by an unparalled control on good and bad roads drives a different level of satisfaction in me. The car is currently returning a combined mileage of 10.4 kmpl, which I feel is good compared to the others in this segment. It cost me about INR 31.3 lacs on road (pricey but worth it), and I got a ceramic coating and PPF done on the car immediately out of the showroom. All in all, a happy customer! Will keep you posted on the performance of the car when do some real off-roading in it.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20220503_073626.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20220501_161047.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20220501_160942.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20220501_160829.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2022 at 22:34. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
mitspeaks is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:53   #3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantk View Post
I have been living with this but suddenly realised may be there is way which I am not aware of.
I own the same 2020 petrol automatic model.
The work around for this is in the Unit settings (photo attached). There is an option to let the radio run even after hitting the stop button but until the driver side door is opened. I use it all the time when in traffic light mostly. This only works for the IC unit but doesn’t work for the USB and cigarette lighter. Hope this is what you were looking for.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-1image.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2022 at 22:35. Reason: Quote trimmed. Picture inserted in-line.
vardhann5 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 11:45   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhann5 View Post
The work around for this is in the Unit settings (photo attached).
Attachment 2318750
Awesome, works perfectly . Yes, this is what I was looking for. Can't thank you enough !

I had explored the different settings earlier and must have seen this but couldn't map to the use case probably.
Old 11th June 2022, 21:46   #3643
BHPian

would anyone happen to have an update of the possibility of the 4x2 Diesel AT on the Compass?
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 23:48   #3644
BHPian

Last few days I have been facing a strange problem in my 4 month old compass. The front wipers keep getting stuck in random positions after running for 30-40 seconds. After a few seconds mostly they start again by themselves. A few times I had to turn of the wiper switch and turn it back on for them to move again. This happens only on continuous setting. They work absolutely fine for whatever length of time when kept in the intermittent mode. Can anyone explain what could be the cause for this? The car will be due for its first service at 5000kms in about a week. I was intending to wait till then, but it’s getting more frequent.
Old 13th June 2022, 18:51   #3645
BHPian

Last week, I took delivery of Jeep Compass Sport Diesel MT in Black color. In the last three days, I have driven about five hundred kilometers and I must say, it's a significant upgrade from my current hatchback (Ford Figo 1.5D).
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5264collage.jpg  

Thilak29 is offline   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks