Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2022, 13:34   #3721
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
My daughter was quoted 45K for 2 years. Why the difference? Is yours for a year?
Mine was also for 2 years. It is possible that the price has now increased. I bought this before the lockdown. Also I have the Sports Diesel Model. It could be that different models have different prices.
ashishs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:41   #3722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My daughter was quoted 45K for 2 years. Why the difference? Is yours for a year?
This is the correct price. Also, Jeep does not usually reduce the EW prices.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 00:02   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
I checked for EW today. My jeep (sport) is a little more than 2 months old. The EW price has slabs based on time elapsed post purchase of the vehicle. If bought within 60 days of purchase, for sport, it's 26K. Next, till 365 days it's 30K. Post that 41K, and so on and so forth.
Hence, I guess the quote is high now with the difference.
car-go is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 00:40   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-go View Post
I checked for EW today. My jeep (sport) is a little more than 2 months old. The EW price has slabs based on time elapsed post purchase of the vehicle. If bought within 60 days of purchase, for sport, it's 26K. Next, till 365 days it's 30K. Post that 41K, and so on and so forth.
Hence, I guess the quote is high now with the difference.
As per my SA, these extended warranty prices had a hike recently. For my compass sport petrol, I was quoted 30000 for 2years and up to 100000 kms. Like you said, If I had remembered to purchase EW within 2 months it would have been 26k. Since I purchased the EW during first service I had to pay 4000 more. Also, the price varies depending on km coverage. There are plans with 1.25lakh/2years and 1.5 lakh/2years kms coverage also, costing even more.
Night Raven is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 00:43   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Although I’m not actively looking for a new car, I have been test driving various cars over the last few weeks, just to get some perspective. For context, I drive a 2018 1.6 Creta diesel Manual with just 25k on the ODO. I usually switch cars when the car is about 5-6 years old, so I’m in no hurry to sell the Creta and buy a new one.

I did test drive the Compass Petrol Automatic earlier today and I was actually quite impressed. The turbo petrol engine seemed more than adequate, and the gearshifts too were quite seamless. In general I found the car to be well put together, but I kept hearing window creaking noises all the time. Obviously the sales folks tell me thats because it’s a demo car. The car felt pretty special inside, this variant, limited, has almost all the bells and whistles. Panoramic sunroof, 6 airbags being the key differentiators when compared to the lower models.

Anyway, here is the deal, KHT Bangalore has a 2021 manufactured Limited variant which they are willing to offer at a really good discount. The on road price for this variant in Bangalore is close to around 31 lakhs and the dealer seems to be offering this for around 29.5 lakhs.

For the same amount of money, I can easily buy the XUV700 Diesel AT AX7 variant. And I have time by my side, so I can wait for another year even if need be. I did test drive the XUV700 two weeks ago, and also the Safari, Scorpio-N. Both XUV700 and the Compass really stood out for me, they seem like good upgrades from my Creta. But I’m a little concerned about the Compass Petrol Automatic since I’m hearing that the real time fuel efficiency would be just 7-9 KMPL, if so it would be really bad. Although my overall usage in a year may not exceed 15000kms, I do drive 30kms a day and I have always been spoilt by diesels in this regard.

I know both the cars I have mentioned above are quite different. Logically, I should just book the XUV700 diesel AT and wait it out. But I have always fancied the Compass, it just looks so cool! I mean, it’s got the Jeep design DNA, it pulls a lot of emotions unlike the XUV700.

But a Petrol Automatic with a low fuel efficiency may prove expensive on a daily basis. Just earlier this week, I topped up Diesel for my Creta for about Rs.4500 and I know I’m good for the next 650kms or approximately 30-35 days since I don’t take out my car much on the weekends. But if this is the Compass Petrol, I’m going to be covering only about 400kms.

Any feedback on the Petrol Automatic or the Compass in general would be great! ( considering my current context )

Last edited by motorworks : 17th July 2022 at 00:48.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 01:59   #3726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

Any feedback on the Petrol Automatic or the Compass in general would be great! ( considering my current context )
I think both your choices are fantastic upgrade options. The deciding factor should be what size you prefer to drive around daily. In my case I didn’t even consider xuv700 since I wasn’t looking for a 7 seater. The extra seats, space/presence that xuv700 offered didn’t matter to my requirements and the size of the Compass I found perfect for my usage.

I have completed about 6000 kms in the Compass till now and my only regret so far is I didn’t stretch my budget and go for a higher version. I have the petrol manual which I find pretty refined and well built. There are no squeaking or rattles till now, but I do expect them sooner than later because I hardly slow down for bad patches and potholes since I got the Compass. If you are willing to sacrifice the fuel efficiency, it is quite a fast car too.

As for the mileage part, I would say with a light right foot and good traffic/road conditions it can give decent fuel consumption figures. Anytime I have been using first or second gears my instantaneous fuel consumption comes down to the lower single digit figures. My best figure so far has been 14.5kmpl for a highway drive at late night. For my regular driving I get around 12.5kmpl. ( for comparison, on this same regular daily driving route I used to get around 18.5 kmpl on my Punto diesel.)
Night Raven is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 10:02   #3727

Quote:
Although I’m not actively looking for a new car, I have been test driving various cars over the last few weeks, just to get some perspective. For context, I drive a 2018 1.6 Creta diesel Manual with just 25k on the ODO. I usually switch cars when the car is about 5-6 years old, so I’m in no hurry to sell the Creta and buy a new one.
My advice would be to wait. Toyota Hyryder is just launched and in terms of features & promised fuel efficiency it should blow the Jeep Compass Petrol. Add the reliability of Toyota and perhaps lower maintenance cost - and you would have a great car in your hands. Especially since you’re not in a hurry.

You’re used to an SUV, but do factor in the probably higher body roll with the jeep compass.

Also, do consider some sedans as well. I do think I have buyer’s remorse with the Jeep Compass and I feel I should have tested out some sedans while making my pick too.

Quote:
Anyway, here is the deal, KHT Bangalore has a 2021 manufactured Limited variant which they are willing to offer at a really good discount. The on road price for this variant in Bangalore is close to around 31 lakhs and the dealer seems to be offering this for around 29.5 lakhs.
I usually don’t bad mouth, but please be vary of the KHT Bangalore Domlur branch (I’m not sure about the other one). They are really not good. Please check the reviews on google (one can easily distinguish the real & the fake ones). I had a terrible experience with them and I walked away from the deal. I’m not alone. You can check the Jeep facebook group as well.

If you still go for it, please do a very thorough Pre Delivery Inspection.

All the best!
Old 17th July 2022, 13:25   #3728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
The deciding factor should be what size you prefer to drive around daily.
I agree with Night Raven’s post but since motorworks is based in Bangalore, I’d say that keep 7-9kmpl in mind for the Compass Petrol. 11-12kmpl in city seems too optimistic.

Since you change cars every 5 years or so, XUV700 diesel makes the logical choice as it will definitely command a much higher resale than the Compass petrol.

On the other hand, if fuel situation changes some years down the line, a petrol car can be modded to other fuel types but a diesel will stay diesel.

But, ethanol blending of petrol is being considered by the GoI and diesel vehicles would be spared from this nightmare.

1.5 lacs discount seems a bit less for a car priced more than 30 lacs on road. Its barely 5% discount and not worth it (depreciation loss will be around 10%) if you are going to change the car in just 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamoody View Post
My advice would be to wait. Toyota Hyryder is just launched and in terms of features & promised fuel efficiency it should blow the Jeep Compass Petrol. Add the reliability of Toyota and perhaps lower maintenance cost - and you would have a great car in your hands. Especially since you’re not in a hurry.

You’re used to an SUV, but do factor in the probably higher body roll with the jeep compass.

Also, do consider some sedans as well. I do think I have buyer’s remorse with the Jeep Compass and I feel I should have tested out some sedans while making my pick too.
As good a car (reliable too being a Suzuki and Toyota breed) as HyRyder is or could be, it can not be compared with Jeep Compass which is a segment higher crossover/SUV. The construction of Jeep Compass (body shell) is more robust and I assume Compass bodyshell to be more stable compared the HyRyder. It is also a more premium offering and the cabin is comparable to cars from one segment higher compared to the HyRyder.

HyRyder has its own strengths that Jeep cant compete with, especially the (anticipated) reliability, lower service cost, higher FE and the presence of a strong hybrid motor.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:15   #3729
BHPian

Friends though I have asked the Service centre to check and update, its unlikely they have.

Can anyone check/ advise if this is the latest update to software.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_938.jpg

Additionally the yellow lights look out of place.
Can these be changed to White and if so is it a DIY.

Name:  IMG_0928.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  128.9 KB

TIA
vinitbhavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 04:48   #3730
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Just came across a few more new incidents of brand new Jeeps breaking down. This time it includes issue with a new Petrol Sport Manual Compass.

And it seems that no matter which service center one goes to they are all clueless about satisfactory solutions to problems.

https://www.motorbeam.com/more-incid...breaking-down/
Old 24th July 2022, 14:29   #3731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Friends though I have asked the Service centre to check and update, its unlikely they have.

Can anyone check/ advise if this is the latest update to software.

TIA
I just got mine back after the first service. Looks like yours is one with inbuilt navigation and the software builds are different, so we probably cannot compare the two.

Attaching mine just for reference. Security patch date is showing 2020 so I probably need to get this updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-pxl_20220724_0646220912.jpg  

Rookie_Jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 15:46   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post

Additionally the yellow lights look out of place.
Can these be changed to White and if so is it a DIY.

TIA
This can be easily changed as DIY with LEDs, the cabin lights will not give any canbus error.
However Jeep can void electrical warranty with that upgrade, and considering the recent issues you had, I will suggest to keep it stock.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 18:22   #3733
BHPian

Quote:
I am a Jeep 2021 owner. Stay few kilometers away from this offer from KHT. If you are interested, please pick up the latest version. Some pathetic rattling issues from 2021 are still not resolved despite multiple visits to Service Center.

What you heard about petrol auto mileage is correct.

But do remember. Jeep Compass is a great car. If and when you get one, spend lots of time on PDI. Not all Compass cars seem to go through rigorous quality checks.
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 22:13   #3734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
I am a Jeep 2021 owner. Stay few kilometers away from this offer from KHT. If you are interested, please pick up the latest version. Some pathetic rattling issues from 2021 are still not resolved despite multiple visits to Service Center.

What you heard about petrol auto mileage is correct.
Thanks, I have now declined the offer from KHT on the 2021 Petrol automatic. I just didn’t feel right going ahead with a 8-9 month old car, even though the discount was attractive.

Given that I’m in no urgent need for a change from my 2018 Creta diesel, I think that my best bet is to book the XUV700 Diesel AT and wait for a year. And in this time period if Jeep offers the Compass diesel Automatic without the 4x4, then maybe I would jump ship. I’m hoping Jeep does this else the diesel automatic is just prohibitively expensive, just because of the 4x4 which many people like me do not need.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 15:52   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
So here are my few cents:

a) The Jeep Compass is a beautiful car.
b) It is an excellent handler, excellent road manners and excellent ride quality.
c) You can take it pretty much anywhere and it will not disappoint (until it breaks down)
d) My car never rattled
e) It is NOT a reliable car. Can break down on you and leave you the mercy of untrained service professionals.
f) Stay away from this car (my experience/opinion)

Happy Driving!
It's painful after seeing your dream car suffering with such kind of issues.
I appreciate your unbiased opinion on Jeep.

Many Jeep owners (I hope more than 50% ?) are sharing their horror stories with the ownership of this car. Now the message is clear: Jeep Compass is no longer a reliable car.
Its high time to publicize such experiences so that Jeep may not take its future for granted.

Last edited by navin : 28th July 2022 at 16:39. Reason: fixed quoted post - quoted post was 3629 over 100 posts before the quote and grammar errors
Apex1815 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed