Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2022, 14:19   #3826
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post

Tire wall damage within 1500 kms. Not something I expected. How can a vehicle that claims to be 4x4, be shod with tires that are prone to damages on not too bad roads.
Congratulations on your new car.
Its an irony that Compass 4x4 version ( excluding Trailhawk ) is not offered with AT tyres and interestingly there are no AT tyres available in market for the stock size. You will have to downsize your alloys to R17 if you need AT tyres. Also, the sidewall thickness of stock tyres is not suited for off-roading.
enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:30   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
Congratulations on your new car.
Its an irony that Compass 4x4 version ( excluding Trailhawk ) is not offered with AT tyres and interestingly there are no AT tyres available in market for the stock size. You will have to downsize your alloys to R17 if you need AT tyres. Also, the sidewall thickness of stock tyres is not suited for off-roading.
Thanks!
Since I've not planned on doing any off-roading so not sure if AT is needed.
Sidewall damage happened on a highway that had potholes, which I would call as not menacing. It'd be a shame if downsizing to R17 and changing to AT would be needed, just to have an assured and incident free driving experience on highways.
Old 30th August 2022, 15:18   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
Thanks!
Since I've not planned on doing any off-roading so not sure if AT is needed.
Sidewall damage happened on a highway that had potholes, which I would call as not menacing. It'd be a shame if downsizing to R17 and changing to AT would be needed, just to have an assured and incident free driving experience on highways.
I misunderstood it. I was generally speaking about their logic of keeping such tyres in 4x4 car with no option to upgrade to AT.

Coming to your ques:
IMO Bridgestone Turanza is a good tyre and not many issues have been reported even from those who have opted for same brand for replacements.

There is nothing much to be done about sidewall damage and I doubt if it has to do with the Bridgestones. As far as I understand, no brand of tyres offer any assurance on sidewall damages.

Can you also post some pictures on the damage.

Last edited by enj0y_ride : 30th August 2022 at 15:20.
enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 16:06   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

Need some help in decoding the VIN of my Jeep Compass Diesel AT anniversary edition that has supposedly arrived in Bangalore just 2 days ago.

When I checked in many sites, the last alphabet seems to indicate the year, so “N” indicates 2022. And does the number prior to that which is 7 in my case, indicate the manufacturing month, meaning July?

Any other observations from the VIN that i must be looking into? Thanks!
Old 30th August 2022, 16:33   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And does the number prior to that which is 7 in my case, indicate the manufacturing month, meaning July?

Yes, 1-9 represents Jan - Sep. Then A is Oct, B is Nov, C is Dec.

Last character is for the year (2022).
Rookie_Jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 17:44   #3831
BHPian

Last Sunday, I test drove the Petrol AT and Diesel MT Longitude models. While the price had kept this car out of my options, the test drive has made me think otherwise. The car is superb in terms of build quality and the sense of safety it provides when you are on the road. I'm looking for options to replace my 2013 Honda City Petrol MT. While the car still rides like a dream, I'm looking for something in the compact SUV segment to get some peace of mind from the scrapping that the City gets and the pathetic condition of roads you get when travelling outside the town.

Need some feedback from the fellow Jeepers and Kolkata Jeep community.

a) I loved the Diesel MT, but I did not feel the gear change comfortable (specifically when trying to slot to 2nd). The gear stick is quite tall and needed me to push my shoulder back when trying to slot the gear. This is every time I try to use the gear stalk to move to even number sots
I'm 5"9' guy with not a heavy build structure. I'm not sure if there are ways to overcome this with the seat adjustment (specifically hight, cannot push the seat back as then the clutch operation is not comfortable).

b) Regarding the Petrol AT engine, it is really sluggish in the 1st and 2nd gears with low RPMs. Is this every time or does this only happen when the engine is cold?

c) Does the mileage improve with the engine crossing the run-in period

d) Any feedback of the Kolkata Service center?

e) What is the average maintenance/service cost?

f) Regarding the black alloy for 'Night Eagle' model, I have not seen it in person, but does anyone has any experience of how the black coat holds up? I'm concerned of that nicks and bruises will look very bad on the black alloy
Old 30th August 2022, 18:23   #3832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
a) I loved the Diesel MT, but I did not feel the gear change comfortable (specifically when trying to slot to 2nd). The gear stick is quite tall and needed me to push my shoulder back when trying to slot the gear. This is every time I try to use the gear stalk to move to even number sots
I'm 5"9' guy with not a heavy build structure. I'm not sure if there are ways to overcome this with the seat adjustment (specifically hight, cannot push the seat back as then the clutch operation is not comfortable).
Would be difficult for anyone to comment on this w.r.t to your build. I face no such issues though. The controls have pretty neutral ergonomics compared to, say, a Fiat.

Would recommend you visit the showroom once again and try the below approach if that wasnt what you tried already - 1. Press clutch lever and adjust seat length and height so that lever can be pressed fully without discomfort. 2. Once this sorted only - Adjust recline along with steering reach adjustment to find a comfortable position for arms.

Quote:
What is the average maintenance/service cost?
Check out the below thread -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5390276
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 18:24   #3833
BHPian

Quote:

b) Regarding the Petrol AT engine, it is really sluggish in the 1st and 2nd gears with low RPMs. Is this every time or does this only happen when the engine is cold?

c) Does the mileage improve with the engine crossing the run-in period
I own Petrol AT limited version and can help with the above two points.

b ) It's relatively sluggish in low RPMs. It wont change much with engine temp. For highway rides it delivers you good performance especially at higher speeds, however you will struggle to overtake in cities. It takes atleast 2 weeks to get accustomed to the gearbox - once you come in terms with it, its okay [ but you will never love it if you have used DSG ]

c) No significant changes, but there will be marginal improvement.
enj0y_ride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 18:31   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Would recommend you visit the showroom once again and try the below approach if that wasnt what you tried already - 1. Press clutch lever and adjust seat length and height so that lever can be pressed fully without discomfort. 2. Once this sorted only - Adjust recline along with steering reach adjustment to find a comfortable position for arms.
Thank you for the steps. Dumb me tried to adjust the seat and then try out the clutch. These steps feel the right way to approach it .

I have already talked for another test drive in coming days and I will try these steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
I own Petrol AT limited version and can help with the above two points.

b ) It's relatively sluggish in low RPMs. It wont change much with engine temp. For highway rides it delivers you good performance especially at higher speeds, however you will struggle to overtake in cities. It takes atleast 2 weeks to get accustomed to the gearbox - once you come in terms with it, its okay [ but you will never love it if you have used DSG ]

c) No significant changes, but there will be marginal improvement.
This really helps.

I have never owned an automatic here in India, had driven one in US which was long time ago. Apart from the Compass I have driven the DCT one in Seltos. And I had heard about the cold engine sluggishness from a friend who has a Hyundai Venue DCT.
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 08:23   #3835
BHPian

Awaiting my Jeep Compass D AT Model S 4x4

I’ve been following this thread since I narrowed down my search for my next upgrade from my MT Diesel Nexon XZ+ 2018

Have had a very good experience so far with the dealership PPS HSR.

My vehicle arrived at the stockyard and I insisted the SA for an inspection before delivery, to which he obliged. Few pics of how she looks now below

Can’t wait to get my hands on the car post delivery this weekend.

Few things planned post delivery
1. Full body PPF from Xpel authorised installer - Carsbuddy (nearby showroom)
2. Looking to pickup some accessories - Window magnetic shades and trunk mats

For the point 2 unsure if I should go with Mopar accessories or look outside for aftermarket options. Any guidance will be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2663.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jc.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jc2.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2660.jpg  

Last edited by 0nubhav : 31st August 2022 at 08:25.
0nubhav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 08:43   #3836
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nubhav View Post
For the point 2 unsure if I should go with Mopar accessories or look outside for aftermarket options. Any guidance will be much appreciated.
Jeep magnetic window blinds are expensive but works great. Never fell down even once during the opening and closing of doors, as against the aftermarket ones in my other car which simply lay unused in the boot now.

Has prominent branding though, which may or may not be to everyone's taste -

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20220723_131704.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st August 2022 at 08:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:50   #3837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jeep magnetic window blinds are expensive but works great.

Has prominent branding though, which may or may not be to everyone's taste -
Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR for attesting my inclination of using OEM accessories for the functional use cases. I can’t remember which post # but someone did mention about proper fitting of these blinds as an issue. Is that the case with yours too?

Also do you recommend the same approach for the trunk mat (I feel an aftermarket may work rather than paying a premium for the badging)? Any recommended aftermarket trunk mats?

I am ok with prominent branding. A little show off won’t harm anyone

Last edited by 0nubhav : 31st August 2022 at 10:10. Reason: Additional question inserted in same thread
0nubhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:32   #3838
BHPian

Quote:
[h3]Awaiting my Jeep Compass D AT Model S 4x4
Congrats 0nubhav.

BTW when was this stock visit. Could be wrong, but I though I saw the blue Jeep Model S when I did my stockyard PDI this Saturday.

Attaching the pic of my Black Jeep Compass Model S Diesel AT. Delivery set for Friday

However, during PDI, noticed a few white spots on the bonnet (pics below). PPS promised that these spots would get removed during the pre-delivery rub and polish.

Shared the pics with Krithi Car Care - was advised to not let the dealer do anything other than water wash. They will take care of the fixes before applying the PPF. Based on the pics, they feel that these are not major issues but some sanding might be required.

P.S. I requested PPS to also throw in the Jeep sunblind's as part of the deal. They readily agreed.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220827-12.25.46-pm.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220827-2.22.57-pm.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220827-2.22.57-pm-1.jpeg  

ACe_10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 12:22   #3839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR for attesting my inclination of using OEM accessories for the functional use cases. I can’t remember which post # but someone did mention about proper fitting of these blinds as an issue. Is that the case with yours too?

Also do you recommend the same approach for the trunk mat (I feel an aftermarket may work rather than paying a premium for the badging)? Any recommended aftermarket trunk mats?

I am ok with prominent branding. A little show off won’t harm anyone
The magnetic window blind fits nicely and very helpful when you park under sunlight as well.

The quality of boot mat is very good too. How much does it cost now? See if you can get some good discount on this.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 12:26   #3840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post
Congrats 0nubhav.

BTW when was this stock visit. Could be wrong, but I though I saw the blue Jeep Model S when I did my stockyard PDI this Saturday.
This was yesterday 30th Aug. Your observation could be correct as my car was invoiced on Monday but before registration I wanted to see the car.

Quote:

Attaching the pic of my Black Jeep Compass Model S Diesel AT. Delivery set for Friday
Congratulations ACe_10, mine will follow on Saturday

Quote:

to not let the dealer do anything other than water wash. They will take care of the fixes before applying the PPF.
I’ve advised the same to my SA, just deliver the vehicle after a water wash and don’t do any polish etc.

Quote:

P.S. I requested PPS to also throw in the Jeep sunblind's as part of the deal. They readily agreed.
In my deal the interior rubber mats, front and rear mud flaps and rear license plate frame are included (I should have pushed for the window magnetic blinds it seems )
0nubhav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed