Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 13:31   #4021
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreespace View Post
*Update Post - from my PDI session yday*

Apart from that i could notice panel gaps and alignment issues in co passenger side door and boot door and multiple scratches in 3 or 4 areas including sunroof panel. Also the paint quality of rear bumper didn't match with the body color. I had submitted a list of 7 key observations and basis that didnt agree to take the vehicle in this condition.

What do you guys suggest ? Is it good to take the vehicle with 5 month old VIN if all other observations are correctly fixed and taken care including alignment, scratches, tyres and body paint issues. Or do i demand for another new vehicle (which ofcourse he will say wont be possible then for this year 2022)
Sounds like a hard pass unless some proper deals (discounts) are thrown in - going by your observations looks like a repainted vehicle so no real point in paying the same price as a brand new vehicle for IMO.

Personally, I'd simply wait for the next one - its hard to say what went on with the car to need a repaint - and dealerships are not really honest most of the time. The small discount is not worth the peace of mind when buying such expensive cars IMHO.
Transmission is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 13:46   #4022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Sounds like a hard pass unless some proper deals (discounts) are thrown in - going by your observations looks like a repainted vehicle so no real point in paying the same price as a brand new vehicle for IMO.

Personally, I'd simply wait for the next one - its hard to say what went on with the car to need a repaint - and dealerships are not really honest most of the time. The small discount is not worth the peace of mind when buying such expensive cars IMHO.
It appears that more and more new compasses are being sold with very poor paint quality and i met a couple of unhappy owners of bs6 models at the service center who were having problems with panel gaps.

At first I thought that mine was a one-off case for a poor painted car but there have been quite a few other cases. I sometimes wonder if jeep is outsourcing the painting to some cheap 3rd party/dealer body shops

Quote:
the dealer has promised he will try best to ensure everything is addressed and fixed and also on insistence said he will replace tyres with latest ones (all five).

What do you guys suggest ? Is it good to take the vehicle with 5 month old VIN if all other observations are correctly fixed and taken care including alignment, scratches, tyres and body paint issues.
I would advise you to reject the vehicle at this stage and demand a new car. The Pune dealer offered to remove all of the bubbles in the paint surface. But in repainting a small scratch on the front bumper the body shop completely ruined the entire paint of the bumper so i refused to let them touch the rest of the car. Jeep simply does not have any competent service or body shop personnel.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2022 at 18:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 28th November 2022, 15:20   #4023

In Addition, the dealer also denied my request to Test drive my allocated vehicle during PDI. Saying they are not allowed to give test drive on delivery ready vehicles. Is that normal?
Old 29th November 2022, 10:16   #4024
BHPian

Quote:
In Addition, the dealer also denied my request to Test drive my allocated vehicle during PDI. Saying they are not allowed to give test drive on delivery ready vehicles. Is that normal?
One cannot drive the car without registration, however when I bought early this year I was allowed to drive within their premises. It wasnt a test drive per se, just to see if all electricals are working, any abnormal noises/vibrations etc. You could push for such a test.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 10:23   #4025
BHPian

Quote:
Same here. I did PDI of Compass few days back and when I asked if I can take a short round within the stock yard, I was told its not allowed.

I was also told that the car will be driven from the yard to the dealership before delivery, a drive of 45 KMs. When I insisted on getting it delivered on a flatbed, I was told it can be arranged but then I would have to pear the cost. Is this normal?
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 11:11   #4026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Same here. I did PDI of Compass few days back and when I asked if I can take a short round within the stock yard, I was told its not allowed.

I was also told that the car will be driven from the yard to the dealership before delivery, a drive of 45 KMs. When I insisted on getting it delivered on a flatbed, I was told it can be arranged but then I would have to pear the cost. Is this normal?
Dealers normally won't allow anyone other than their staff to drive a vehicle before invoice/ resistration.

It is normal for a vehicle to be driven for upto 100km sometimes more based on the dealership and their stock yard , perhaps stock swap between dealership etc. Many people will handle the vehicle in the process, there will be grease marks,dirt, dust, scratches, some minor dents etc in the process as well.

Most of these defects gets cleared up before the vehicle gets delivered, which becomes the responsibility of the dealer and the brand. I think we should let the process work as is.

You may do a PDI at the stockyard after the dealer finishes their 1st PDI, they will do a second one before delivery.

These days with car shortage and waiting etc , PDI serves only one purpose - Making sure the model, color etc are as per your specifications
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 16:00   #4027
BHPian

We all know that the 9-speed TC transmission of the compass is nothing but sluggish and bane for an enthusiast and doesn't do justice to the true character of the Compass.

However, I was wondering if anyone try to overcome this by doing a TCU remap to improve the performance and better suit the Compass' character. If no, why not? If yes, what is your recommendation?
Old 30th November 2022, 22:53   #4028
BHPian

Have been following this thread for a long time and have read, re-read all the posts. Now I feel it's my time to contribute.
Finally booked a black Compass S diesel Automatic at PPS motors Bangalore to replace our 12 year old Swift. Did back to back test-drive of 4 cars - Compass, Octavia, Tiguan, Tucson with family and it was a tough final-call between the Tiguan and Compass. Ultimately decided with Compass since it really tugged the heart more than the head .

Dealer said delivery will be within December (15 days approx) as there's no Black diesel model S in their stock and a fresh one has to be ordered. Till then re-reading all compass threads in our forum and drooling over the pics.

I will post a complete report on how we made the purchase decision and initial drive post delivery.

On a side note: I was surprised and very happy with the exchange price that my Swift (petrol K12 2010) fetched. Almost got back 45% of the price I bought it for 12 years back

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2022 at 18:56. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Anduril is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 12:37   #4029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Have been following this thread for a long time and have read, re-read all the posts. Now I feel it's my time to contribute.
Finally booked a black Compass S diesel Automatic at PPS motors Bangalore to replace our 12 year old Swift. Did back to back test-drive of 4 cars - Compass, Octavia, Tiguan, Tucson with family and it was a tough final-call between the Tiguan and Compass. Ultimately decided with Compass since it really tugged the heart more than the head .
Dealer said delivery will be within December (15 days approx) as there's no Black diesel model S in their stock and a fresh one has to be ordered. Till then re-reading all compass threads in our forum and drooling over the pics.
I will post a complete report on how we made the purchase decision and initial drive post delivery.

On a side note: I was surprised and very happy with the exchange price that my Swift (petrol K12 2010) fetched. Almost got back 45% of the price I bought it for 12 years back
Congratulations on the booking

How do you find the Diesel AT box behavior during your test drives in Bangalore?
simplysaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 15:35   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
How do you find the Diesel AT box behavior during your test drives in Bangalore?
I drove it along the ring road and HSR with a mix of traffic and empty roads and didn't feel it was inadequate in any way. It felt unhurried and the power delivery was pretty linear and barely felt any turbo push. It does not have the pinned-to-your seat character like the Tucson Diesel 'box but it's not lacking either.
Anduril is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 17:03   #4031
BHPian

My 2020 Jeep Compass went for it's 2nd year annual service at around 27000 km. A total cost of 17500 by landmark jeep in Gurgaon, although the initial estimate they tried to shove was that of 27000, to justify which the SA used the word cleaning prefixed with various parts of the car. I told him to just do the scheduled service and part replacements as per the manual and not do anything extra. That's when the estimate came down to about 17k. Also it was without wheel alignment and balancing which I had got done at a local tyre store a month ago.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-service.png
fast&curious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 11:31   #4032

Hi everyone,

Wanted to give a quick update- I've just finished the first 1000KMs on my 2022 5th Anniversary Petrol AT. Overall the first 1000KMs have been pretty much seamless but there are a couple of things that I've noticed.

1. The engine and gearbox does take a while to open up completely, the gearbox still felt a little 'stiff' and 'hesitant' up until the 700km mark and then started to open up. There are still times when I try and do a quick overtake at speeds below 40kph and the gearbox feels like its turned off for a second before it kicks in and drops down a few gears. I've also noticed a clattering sound at times from the gearbox when you are about to come to a stop after being at 70+ kph. Not sure if this is something I need to worry about or if it's just a mechanical sound that is normal.

2. Drive and ride quality- at slow speeds the ride quality is a bit stiff but not uncomfortable. My typical commute is from SoBo to BKC so the roads are pretty decent. Once you get up to speed the car feels much more planted and soaks up a lot of the smaller potholes and expansion joints. The 1.4 may not be the most enthusiastic motor but it pulls nicely once you are in the desired rev band. The only times you'll feel a lack of grunt is when you are trying to wiggle around city traffic but this is something you get used to and will be able to adapt your driving style to get the most out of the car when needed.

3. Infotainment- One of the best parts of the car, it's super slick and a breeze to use. I've been only using the wireless Apple CarPlay and it's been seamless. It connects as soon as the car is turned on and once the screen comes on it instantly takes you to CarPlay. The only issue here is that the screen is a fingerprint magnet and if that's something that annoys you, you will find yourself constantly cleaning the screen. A good microfibre cloth seems to do the job for me.

4. Build quality- This has been a concern with Jeeps and I have been expecting my share of rattles and squeaks. I had a horrible rattle sound from the left rear door two days after taking delivery and had to send the car back. Fortunately Landmark was able to resolve the issue in a couple of hours. Since then I've not had too many bad rattles but you do hear the occasional squeak from the centre console or the dashboard, specially when going over rough patches.

However, there's is a rattle sound from a few of the doors when playing bass heavy music that has come up recently. I was able to mitigate this by tweaking the settings and turning off loudness but this still an issue if the volume is above 20. I've been thinking of using damping material in the doors in order to solve this, does anyone have an idea if that will be helpful?

Thank you for the support and feel free to reach out if you have a any questions about my experience.
saketsomani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 11:33   #4033

Did my first long trip with the Jeep Compass 4x4 AT Limited (O)(Purchased in May'22). We planned to cover Sissu, Jispa, Rohtang Pass during the 1 week leave I took, while the stay was planned in Manali & Vashisht. We left Gurgaon at around 3 AM in the morning, took a small maggie break during the journey, and reached Manali in about 12 hours. I was surprised at how comfortable and fresh I felt despite the long road trip.
Incidents:
A couple of punctures in the rear tyres did not present much of a challenge. Got them repaired in Manali.
However, one incident occurred when we were on our way back from Sissu to Manali. It was around 6 PM (cold & dark, which one expects Himachal to be at this time). Our car went over a small rock and near the Atal tunnel, and the TPMS warning came alive. The front left tyre had burst open. I had the first experience of putting on a spare tyre, and it was tough given the outside weather and lack of experience.

Coming back to Manali, we went to a local tyre store to check for new tyres. I got a quote of INR 16,000 for Bridgestone 225/55 R18 tyres. This seemed too expensive, so I decided to check if the tyre would be covered under warranty or insurance. On speaking to the Jeep service center, I was told that warranty was a no-go, as the company only covered manufacturing defects. However, I was told that it could be covered under warranty. This is when I decided to stick with the spare.

Rohtang Pass was still on the list, but we decided to play safe since any further tyre bursts would put us in serious trouble. We stuck around Manali for a day, and then drove back to Gurgaon at a slow and steady pace (80-90 kmph). I was really worried about the longevity of the spares, but fortunately did not face any issue while driving back.

On coming back, I was informed that the insurance company (Liberty Insurance) would only cover 50% of the tyre claim, which I found to be a bit off putting, since the car had only run for 12k KMs. I am now going to change the spare tyre to a full-sized tyre, as Jeep Service Centre coverage is quite low, and the inability to solve such issues becomes critical for long trips.

Anyways, the overall trip was quite amazing. Shot a lot of drone footages.
Here is one video:

Sharing a picture here from Jispa.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221209-11.32.05.jpeg
mitspeaks is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 14:37   #4034
BHPian

Caught this testing in Baner this week. Is it a new version of Jeep Compass Limited edition?

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20221202_105135.jpg
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 15:30   #4035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Caught this testing in Baner this week. Is it a new version of Jeep Compass Limited edition?
The car in your picture is a Meridian. Most probably they are testing it for new BS6.2 emission norms.
revsperminute is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks