Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 12:57   #391
VR4
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Source: Car Toq September, 26th.

Over the past few days, Jeep has been caught testing the Compass with the 1.6 liter Fiat Multijet turbo diesel engine, the same engine found on the top-end Maruti S-Cross Diesel. This engine makes 120 Bhp-320 Nm, and offers great pep on the S-Cross.

Coming back to the Indian angle, Jeep now has an option to slip in a cheaper, cut-price version of the Compass, powered by the 1.6 liter diesel engine. Such a variant, priced about 50,000 rupees cheaper will make the SUV even more popular in India.

WOW !!!

http://cdn.cartoq.com/wp-content/upl...Diesel-1.6.jpg
VR4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:00   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I can suggest three reasons to get Petrol over Diesel if your running kilometers are within 15K to 20K per year.
=======
So, if one doesn't need the diesel one must buy a petrol to do their little bit for the environment.[/list]
This is really helpful and puts things in perspective my friend. Though it begs the question, why does the impending (albeit in the future) diesel/fossil fuel take-down not scare new car buyers then and why are car makers still investing their billions in creating newer versions of diesel engines?
Old 27th September 2017, 18:23   #393
Senior - BHPian

Folks, finally I saw the Compass in real life first time. On the weekend I saw one parked in a mall parking and luckily it was parked right in front of an XUV. Since I own a XUV as well, it was a good coincidence and also gave good perspective of the size. Reading on the forum general thought has been that its tad small, but i found the car decent sized. Look at couple of pics i took giving some perspective against XUV. It definitely has lot more presence compared to a Creta looks very up market. Length and inside space also looked ok except for width where XUV really scores. Looking forward to sitting and test driving one sometime.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20170924_191254.jpg
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20170924_191327.jpg
supertinu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 18:42   #394
BHPian

The XUV and Compass are comparatively not far off from each other as far as external dimensions are concerned. XUV is 10.5 cm. longer, and 3.2 cm. wider. The difference in internal space (width) may only be due to the difference in thickness of the doors. Having said that, what is the actual rear seat width in the XUV ? I may be wrong, but the perception of less space in the Compass might be due to the shape and contour of the rear seat. Having said that, for the average Indian of 5' 9", the leg space is fine.

I do not remember the exact figures now, but the seat width of the Compass was approx. 3 cm. more than the Fiesta Classic. (160 against 163 cms. for Compass ?)
RedRaider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 11:34   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
The XUV and Compass are comparatively not far off from each other as far as external dimensions are concerned. XUV is 10.5 cm. longer, and 3.2 cm. wider. The difference in internal space (width) may only be due to the difference in thickness of the doors. Having said that, what is the actual rear seat width in the XUV ? I may be wrong, but the perception of less space in the Compass might be due to the shape and contour of the rear seat. Having said that, for the average Indian of 5' 9", the leg space is fine.

I do not remember the exact figures now, but the seat width of the Compass was approx. 3 cm. more than the Fiesta Classic. (160 against 163 cms. for Compass ?)
I was looking at the comparo sheet in the COmpass review and XUV is 19cm longer 7cm wider and the wheel base is also longer by ~6cm, so the difference on the inside is definitely visible. Also the middle bench of XUV is really pushed back so the leg room is virtually in feet and not cms

Fiesta Classic is fairly narrow in width on the inside. So 3cm more would be really make a huge difference. Anyways for a regular Indian family of parents and kids, Compass would be just fine.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 21:45   #396
BHPian

I took a test drive of the Jeep Compass today.

First impression is wow it is a really solid car put together, there was a huge crowd in the showroom and i thought to myself, well getting the sales personnel attention will be some task, as it is with a new launch of a vehicle.

But to my surprise a very pleasant smiling face greeted me and the test vehicle was available within 10 min of chit chatting with the sales personnel. Hats off to FCA for training their personnel so well. Smiling faces and explaining each and every variant of the car right from the basic to the top end,it really helps a customer make up their mind as to which variant is ideal for them.

Initially i had gone to the showroom thinking of buying the petrol automatic transmission, but i didn`t know its not been launched as yet and it will be made available next month. Bookings are on and since the price of automatic petrol and diesel manual was at par i took a test drive of the diesel vehicle.

The test vehicle was parked in the basement of the showroom. All the colors were available in the basement - white,red,blue,black silver.
I had gone to the showroom with a mind made up of buying the white color,
but i found it to be not pure white but more of a yellowish white. Black looks really gorgeous but maintaining the color in our dusty conditions will be a task, so settling in for a silver color.

So i sat in the vehicle,the doors are really solid and give an assuring thud noise when shut. The diesel engine was really silent once all the doors were shut and it was a cold start as this particular vehicle wasn't used the whole day, that's what i was told.

There was an uphill slope to exit the parking, I purposely stopped the car mid way on the slope to check if it can pull cleanly, and it was effortless.

When it comes to NVH levels the only disappointment was the Vibrations which is very much felt on the steering and the clutch and gear. I feel my first generation Figo diesel 2010 model is still better than jeep compass when it comes to vibrations. Even though my ford Figo diesel has completed 75k on the odometer.

The biggest surprise was the way the steering felt. It was smooth and very easy to manoeuvre in the bumper to bumper traffic. I didn`t feel any turbo lag, but i felt the clutch pedal releases too early and it can stall the car easily. May be it can be adjusted to be released a bit further back. When it comes to open road the car is very much like a rocket when it comes to the pickup and it pulls cleanly without breaking a sweat and its a perfect blend for city and highway drives.
The feature i liked the most is when the engine is turned off or when the car stalls the electrical parking brake is activated automatically.

After the test drive the sales personnel was demonstrating what a solid car the Jeep Compass really is. He told me to lift the engine bonnet,and it was really heavy and just shows that quality hasn't been compromised anywhere.

Also the way the staff was handling the huge crowd in the showroom is really worth appreciating and gives a customer confidence to buy a car with limited dealerships across the country.

I will be visiting the showroom again next month to test drive the petrol automatic and get either that or a diesel manual in my home garage soon

Mod note: Your post is very poorly constructed, and is an eyesore to read.
Please ensure that you use CAPITAL letters where required. Use the right punctuation.
Use spaces properly (between sentences as well as paragraphs).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd October 2017 at 12:12.
vineetg84 is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th September 2017, 23:17   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
So, if one doesn't need the diesel one must buy a petrol to do their little bit for the environment.
I am looking around for a SUV'ish car. Checked out the XUV and the Creta. Liked the Creta Auto Diesel a lot but wife and kids found the back seat uncomfortable. Liked the XUV but it's big. Have seen the Jeep Compass but not taken a test drive. Everyone in family is having positive views of the car and feel we should take that. However it has neither Diesel AT nor the petrol AT has come out yet.

My running is under 20K per year and I am also thinking whether a petrol is better than a diesel for this. I am concerned about the environment too. However a petrol burns more fuel so is it really less polluting than a fuel efficient diesel?

Is there any data on pollution level of diesel Creta vs XUV vs Jeep? Is the Jeep diesel less polluting than other cars?

I have also read that the MT clutch is light and gears are short and easy, so would it also be comfortable in traffic?
Old 29th September 2017, 10:17   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post

My running is under 20K per year and I am also thinking whether a petrol is better than a diesel for this. I am concerned about the environment too. However a petrol burns more fuel so is it really less polluting than a fuel efficient diesel?

Is there any data on pollution level of diesel Creta vs XUV vs Jeep? Is the Jeep diesel less polluting than other cars?
I will be wary of putting a big sum on diesel car at this stage. Especially if you plan to keep the car for long duration. SC, NGT might extend the ban on diesel vehicles in coming years.
Old 29th September 2017, 10:21   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
I will be wary of putting a big sum on diesel car at this stage. Especially if you plan to keep the car for long duration. SC, NGT might extend the ban on diesel vehicles in coming years.
Which ban is this? I don't seem to be aware of any ban in Mumbai.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:15   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Which ban is this? I don't seem to be aware of any ban in Mumbai.
C300 i am assuming you are referring to general negative sentiments around cars from the Govt and push towards electric. Any ban that comes on diesel also would be more in lines of how old a vehicle can get. Even if its as drastic as stopping sale of diesel cars completely, it cannot be pushed to cars that have been already sold and on the road. So unless you intend to keep cars for more than 10 years, I dont see a concern with buying a diesel in current market.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:59   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
C300 i am assuming you are referring to general negative sentiments around cars from the Govt and push towards electric. Any ban that comes on diesel also would be more in lines of how old a vehicle can get. Even if its as drastic as stopping sale of diesel cars completely, it cannot be pushed to cars that have been already sold and on the road. So unless you intend to keep cars for more than 10 years, I dont see a concern with buying a diesel in current market.
I agree. Negativity seems specific to Diesel cars though which will also impact the resale value.
Old 29th September 2017, 13:00   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ban by NGT in Delhi NCR was for vehicles with engine capacity greater than 2000cc (the ban was lifted after they imposed a 1% cess). The Compass engine capacity is less than 2000cc and should not be an issue in future hopefully. The 10 year life issue will eventually hit all petrol and diesel cars both. They will start with commercial vehicles first and then extend to private vehicles.
Old 29th September 2017, 18:53   #403
BHPian

Bad experiences with KHT Prime

Dealers like KHT Prime are the reason Fiat gets such a bad name when it comes to dealership experience.

Test Drive Attempt 1:
Decided to go to the showroom Sunday evening to get a test drive. Checked the website which said open hours Mon-Sun , 9 am to 7 pm
Reached at 6 pm to find the place shut with only the watchman around. He was like “Sir, Sunday hai to aaj jaldi band kar diya “

Test Drive Attempt 2:
Reached the showroom today at 4 pm. Happy to see it open with lots of cars around and a crowd in the showroom.
Walked in and asked for a test drive “Sorry sir, gaadi ka pooja ho raha hai. Can’t give test Drive”

I am like “how long will the Pooja take. Shall I wait for some time”?
His Response : nope. Whole day we are not giving test Drive because of pooja.

I understand it’s Dussehra and you want to worship your cars (and not your customers)
But to open the showrooms , keep all the cars out on display and not give test drives is pretty bad form.

I decided to just check out the showroom vehicle and get a feel for it. Asked the person to turn the car on so that I could check out the infotainment system
“Sorry sir, battery of this car is dead. Can’t start the audio”
By this time I was getting pretty frustrated. I asked him to open the boot, so that I could check out the boot space
“Sorry sir, without battery can’t open the boot”

Now I was pissed. I am a Punto owner and a Fiat fan and the way these guys are running this showroom is just killing all the goodwill Fiat is trying to drive by lunching good new products.
I asked to meet the showroom
manager
“Sorry sir, he’s busy in Pooja “

Ok at least give me a brochure
“Sorry sir, brochures are over”

Couldn’t take any more “Sorry sirs” so walked out. Some other observations:

1. They didn’t ask me for my name or number at any point. Sales 101 fail.

2. Didn’t offer to bring the vehicle to my house for test drive , even though I had come all the way to their showroom and had been denied a test drive. What’s their plan of converting walk-ins ?

3. The showroom vehicles with white leather interiors were already looking dirty with smudges and black marks everywhere. Maintaining the interiors of the limited trim is going to be a nightmare

I have been a punto owner for 7 years and had decided that my next vehicle has to be a reliable Honda or Hyundai with half decent customer service. The awesomeness of the compass has started to lull me into going with Fiat again.
This experience has thankfully reminded me of the pathetic nature of their customer service and made me seriously reconsider if I want to sign up for the pain of dealing with FCA and their idiotic dealers again.

Last edited by Silverfire : 29th September 2017 at 18:55.
Silverfire is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 20:03   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetg84 View Post
I took a test drive of the Jeep Compass today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Bad experiences with KHT Prime
You both seem to be from Pune. Are you both talking about same dealer here or there is more than one dealer in Pune? Both your experiences are on the opposite end of spectrum.
Old 29th September 2017, 22:35   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
You both seem to be from Pune. Are you both talking about same dealer here or there is more than one dealer in Pune? Both your experiences are on the opposite end of spectrum.
This is KHT Prime in Bengaluru. Exact address

KHT Agencies Private Limited
Showroom & Workshop
Old No.15A, New No.44, Industrial Suburb Service Road, Leading to Tumkur Road, RMC Yard Post, Opposite to shell petrol bunk, Yeshwantpur, Bangalore - 560022

Most Viewed