Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 05:41   #4126
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
I was presented with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde costing ₹18,000/-, but I felt the compound was hard and the tread had a little bit of an aggressive pattern. I had a fear that it may not last as long as the Michelins. Interestingly, the Pirelli had a USP - Self seal lining provided on the inner surface which seals punctures on its own and minimises air leaks.
The only concern in these cases is: Would you be able to get a quick replacement if and when needed? Given they are not going to get imported easily? My suggestion would be to be to always prefer what is available in the neighbourhood (Regular or Premium).

I am sure many of us would love to have Michelins or similar options. But sadly due to lack of imports we may either get old stock or none at all.

And this concern is not just for Compass but for every one else as well.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:39   #4127

Quote:
Initial impressions - small potholes, cracks, road joints are barely felt. On smooth Tarmac the vehicle appears to literally float, such is the smoothness and lack of road noise. It’s too early to comment on braking and grip levels, but when going around bends, the vehicle appears more composed and is able to change directions in a more fluid manner - the vertical centre tread pattern with a lack of cris-crossing could contribute to this effect, maybe.

The compass has a firm suspension setup with limited travel, enabling its off-road nature - this Latitude Sport 3 with its soft compound, neutral-ish tread pattern and generous sidewall size helps offset some of the Compass’s low speed jiggly ride on rough surface and undulations. It feels soft enough at low speeds to not slow down too much and at the same time the high speed ride is very composed and not at all wallowy.

My next agenda is to remove the 80/120 km/hr speed buzzer, but I’m not really sure where to even start. FM with experience kindly provide inputs.
Thank you for sharing this! I'll check out the Michelins whenever I get around to changing the stock Bridgestone Turanza.

Please keep us posted if you find out a way to disable the annoying 120km/hr speed warnings as well. If there is indeed a way to disable it without affecting warranty of vehicle, nothing like it.
dhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:00   #4128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only concern in these cases is: Would you be able to get a quick replacement if and when needed
Yes you have asked a valid question. The other tyre in my post - Pirelli Scorpion Verde has 1 year warranty for tyre sidewall damages and punctures, 5 year warranty for tyre manufacturing defects. But the difference in tyre compound and my personal experience with Michelin made me choose the latter. I travel in relatively well paved roads and the Latitude Sport 3 are not too soft like the Primacy or XM tyres which increase the probability of sidewall cuts and tears. This one is a proper SUV tyre - Porsche Macan, BMW X5 come standard fit with it. So I was willing to forsake warranty/peace of mind for driving comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhana View Post
Please keep us posted if you find out a way to disable the annoying 120km/hr speed warnings
I asked locally as well as called some tuners/remap companies, none of them have any idea whatsoever. Even google searches barely yields positive results. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd January 2023 at 13:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 24th January 2023, 02:43   #4129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhana View Post
Thank you for sharing this! I'll check out the Michelins whenever I get around to changing the stock Bridgestone Turanza.

Please keep us posted if you find out a way to disable the annoying 120km/hr speed warnings as well. If there is indeed a way to disable it without affecting warranty of vehicle, nothing like it.
There is a coder in Adyar who can remove the speed beeps. Will be expensive around 15-20k.You will have to leave the car with them for a couple of days.
AW1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 06:49   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My next agenda is to remove the 80/120 km/hr speed buzzer, but I’m not really sure where to even start. FM with experience kindly provide inputs.
Removing the speed limit buzzer is available using the AlfaOBD app on Android. You will however need to use a special security Gateway Bypass Cable to connect to the OBD Port. The ECU on Jeep is firewalled using a security gateway to prevent unauthorised changes. The SGW is located above the brake pedal and a special cable is needed to connect to port after which you can use a regular OBD tool and AlfaOBD app to remove the speed chimes. Google for FCA SGW bypass cable to see what you need to have.

Once you have the tools it's a 2 minute job. Getting all the required cables and tools is a challenge.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 19:12   #4131

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW1972 View Post
There is a coder in Adyar who can remove the speed beeps. Will be expensive around 15-20k.You will have to leave the car with them for a couple of days.
Is it ICD Tuning at Adyar? If not, please share name/contact.
Old 24th January 2023, 23:29   #4132
BHPian

Yes, they claim it can be done
Old 6th February 2023, 19:01   #4133
BHPian

Got a tyre change as the Firestones were roughly 4 year old and were starting to feel a bit hard. I tried for BlueEarth but wasn't able to find them easily. So settled on Earth 1, having used them on the Vento.

In Mumbai perspective these were available at a better rate at Pal Santacruz but I couldn't do that trip during the couple of weeks that I had to change them and then I had to leave for a long trip on the Samruddhi Mahamarg. Hence got Earth 1 from Premji Thane (Rather sent my wife to get them fixed). I have always had a good experience with Mark and this was my 3rd set from him in around 10 years.

All tyres were later December 2022 manufactured and they performed really well on the entire trip. The confidence in braking was top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
If you can get Blue Earth then go for it, if not Earth1 is a decent option and it is better than Firestones. Also, Earth1 is easily available when compared to other options.
Thanks again for this and your ownership thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-1a331ba84eb24370adfd5f224acc4c88.jpg  

zurura023 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 09:58   #4134
BHPian

I sincerely hope Jeep doesnt dilute the brand with these nonsense sticker only editions. Is this a sign of desperation.?
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-club.png  

bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 15:05   #4135
BHPian

Dear BHPians

I want to share my experience of a about 2K Kms drive from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar primarily on NH 16. With a deviation towards Jeypore (Odisha) and Chitrakoot (Chattisgarh). Details on the route are in the Route queries thread.

1. Vehicle stability - The highways are in a great shape throughout, maybe with a few KMs of not so great road but nowhere did we experience anything that would considerably slow the progress. My Jeep Compass Diesel Auto (2022) showed a lot of character and capability, be it straight line speeds, taking high speed corners (it's not a corner carver), handling the few potholes that comes once in a while, braking - very sure footed. Once experienced a 'prancing goat' right in the middle of the road when it decided to break into a move while I was doing 90-100 Kmph and had to break hard, only thing that troubled us was the water spilling from my daughters cup, Jeep maintained it's line.

2. Mileage - while the NH75 and NH16 are straight highways, but driving on NH26, NH326 and NH 63 encountered, undivided 2L roads, ghats for about 30-40 kms, twisted slow roads. The overall mileage figures seen on MID is 14.5 KMPL, but I filled about 145 litres of diesel with about quarter tank still available, the maths is slightly different. Need to figure out!

3. Driving fatigue - Drive was divided into 3 legs - Leg 1 ~650 Kms, Leg 2 ~550Kms and Leg 3 ~550 Kms. Both the man and machine didn't feel stretched. Planning to do a 800Km stretch in the return leg. Only grouse though, I wish for better thigh support.

4. Air-conditioning - Powerful and comfortable, will be driving back through AP in Feb mid, this is going to test the AC capability.

5. Lights - The lights are good enough to light up the highway quite adequately to see any kind of obstacles. But the one thing that caused inconvenience was, due to a 4 am start, encountered dense fog at around 5.45 am, and the white beam and white fog light basically caused a whitewash effect. I had to stop for some time, not sure if a yellow fog lamp would have helped.

6 NVH - The cabin is not exactly silent if there is no music on, there is generous amount of engine noise that intrudes the cabin but what bothers is the tyres making noise at high speeds, ICE does a decent job to conceal any noise though. I wish the tyre noise to have been less.

7 Miscellaneous - Rear seat was comfortable as per feedback from the better-half. However coming from the ample real estate of XUV 500, space felt cramped even though comfortable.
Car-play was very consistent and no surprises here. We could use the Google Nav, Amazon music throughout - Thanks for mobile networks in India as well.

Very satisfying driving experience, hope to have more fulfiling experience in the return leg.

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2023 at 17:07. Reason: No vehicle abbreviations please!
JC_Redstreak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 13:24   #4136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
I sincerely hope Jeep doesnt dilute the brand with these nonsense sticker only editions. Is this a sign of desperation.?
It is a sign of them being unable to sell Compass's as they used to(2022 demand/lack of new Tucson)and lowering price point of entry. Additionally if they hadn't done the ~4L price hike with the facelift they did perhaps they would have fared better today. The sales chart just never maintained post facelift beyond the inital month or two of normal sales.
Such 2022 arrogance deserves this comeuppance. Whether it is Jeep Compass with their 'Club Edition', VW with their excess White colour stock clearing 'Exclusive Edition' or Volvo with their 'hassle-free' offer.

I am glad to not have bought a Compass, or the other considerations for that matter, when after TD I was about a week away from booking and instead listened to everyone around me who advised to wait for 2023 recessionary price corrections.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 17:57   #4137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
It is a sign of them being unable to sell Compass's as they used to(2022 demand/lack of new Tucson)and lowering price point of entry. Additionally if they hadn't done the ~4L price hike with the facelift they did perhaps they would have fared better today. The sales chart just never maintained post facelift beyond the inital month or two of normal sales.
Such 2022 arrogance deserves this comeuppance. Whether it is Jeep Compass with their 'Club Edition', VW with their excess White colour stock clearing 'Exclusive Edition' or Volvo with their 'hassle-free' offer.

Agree that Jeep went overboard with the hike. The year end discounts still running in February is some sign, maybe on older models though. Another driver's car with an uncertain future.

Quote:
I am glad to not have bought a Compass, or the other considerations for that matter, when after TD I was about a week away from booking and instead listened to everyone around me who advised to wait for 2023 recessionary price corrections.
On contrary I picked up one in Jan 22, it was the only car I wanted. Dont think Jeep will correct the price, they might keep running the discounts.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 20:30   #4138
BHPian

Is there any "Eastern Jeep club" Facebook / WhatsApp group? I'm based out of Kolkata.
Old 15th February 2023, 21:38   #4139

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
Is there any "Eastern Jeep club" Facebook / WhatsApp group? I'm based out of Kolkata.
There is a DNCR (Delhi Non Capital Region) and All India whatsapp group, and “Jeep Owners (India)”group on Facebook. U can get connected by contacting admins on Facebook Group.
MahindraThor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 16:40   #4140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahindraThor View Post
There is a DNCR (Delhi Non Capital Region) and All India whatsapp group, and “Jeep Owners (India)”group on Facebook. U can get connected by contacting admins on Facebook Group.
Thanks MahindraThor. In the Jeep app, I see that I'm part of "Eastern Jeepers Club ", but not able to find this group in Facebook. I will look in to the all India group.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks