Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 20:57   #4186
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Hi, I sent my Compass for 105000km service this week and the service advisor informed that clutch assembly (pressure plate & disc) needs replacement. My car has been driving fine and I didn't feel as if the clutch was getting heavy. Therefore I've asked for a detailed assessment that'll be shared in a few days (once the car is back from body shop to repair a minor dent). The question I'm facing is that the ASS will charge about 80k for the job. OEM part will cost about 25k and maybe 10 to 15k labour if I get it done outside. But I don't know any reliable FNG since I've always sent my car to ASS till now. Would be great if someone can share details of a trustworthy garage in or near Powai in Mumbai.
Old 15th March 2023, 22:12   #4187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperbNavigator View Post
Hi guys,

Is auto stop-start issue common for all Compass owners?
We have brand new Trailhawk and it stops working even if not used for a day or two.
And then takes its own sweet couple of days to be working again.

Thank you
Auto start stop works only if the battery voltage is above a certain threshold. Hence the reason it doesn’t work when it’s idle for couple of days. I read in another forum it’s by design. I believe it is mentioned somewhere in the manual too. Anyways.. on regular use, auto start stop works just fine.

On the common topic of niggle free experiences.. except my first couple of rattling noise issues(which got sorted by service Center)., I haven’t had any issues in more than a year now. Most of my issues were related to the service Center- not much with the car itself. Except the fear of dwindling sales and the potential bleak future, I am happy with Jeep now.
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 12:06   #4188
BHPian

Hey guys my 2022 Compass Petrol S has developed an issue with its dashboard lights. Basically it doesn't seem to be detecting day/night and isn't dimming the screen or the instrument cluster at night. Even setting the headlamps from 'auto' to 'light on' isn't solving this. I have factory reset the infotainment but it doesn't seem like it has fixed the issue.

Has anyone ever faced this? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:16   #4189
Senior - BHPian

Last week completed a long awaited Winter Spiti drive with my Model S 4x4 AT. The vehicle surpassed all expectations. After reading a lot of reviews about the gearshift being slow and confused on inclined, I was conservative with my expectations.

Boy was I wrong and how !! The car and the gearbox was a different animal in the mountains. Every single time the car was in the right gear no matter how steep the incline and pulling like a train. I was expecting the car to lose power the higher we go, however that was not the case even though we were above 15000 feet. No black smoke either.

With night temperatures going down to -19 degrees in Kaza, I was skeptical about the car starting in the morning. Again was pleasantly surprised. Single crank start !!

There were great roads and then there were absolutely no roads since they were washed away with the snow. The compass went through all of them with aplomb. If it was a Kodiaq or Q3, I would have definitely turned around.

I sincerely have all my fingers crossed that the car continues to be niggle free and super fun like this.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230315-3.23.37-pm.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Hey guys my 2022 Compass Petrol S has developed an issue with its dashboard lights. Basically it doesn't seem to be detecting day/night and isn't dimming the screen or the instrument cluster at night. Even setting the headlamps from 'auto' to 'light on' isn't solving this. I have factory reset the infotainment but it doesn't seem like it has fixed the issue.

There is a dimming switch next to the headlight leveling switch. Have you checked that ? Maybe it's on the highest brightness setting so you donot see any difference. Also what I noticed is that the dimming is not connected to the headlight being on. It has its own separate mechanism I guess connected to the light sensor. The Auto headlight will switch on depending on how you have set the sensitivity, however the dimming of the instrument cluster is connected to the light sensor directly and unless it is really dark it wont dim it. Also the brightness switch only works when it is really dark outside.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 17th March 2023 at 10:27.
Altocumulus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 22:56   #4190
BHPian

Quote:

Yes I have faced a similar issue where the instrument cluster display does not change brightness automatically. I sent the vehicle for a software update at the service centre and it was corrected. Suggest you do the same.
Harsha89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:17   #4191
BHPian

Hi All,
I am facing a weird issue that the audio source jumps abruptly at random. I normally play music through a card reader plugged into the type C port on dash. It jumps to either FM or AM all of a sudden. I have already put forward my complaint to the dealer. However, in case, anyone else faced same/similar issue, kindly let me know if there is any identified reason for that.
Thanks.
Old 19th March 2023, 12:24   #4192
BHPian

Quote:

This got fixed for me after replacing the batter with Exide 74 Din along with a software update, in my opinion, the service centre guys also are not aware of why these problems happen and they just try whatever they can to fix issues and get rid of the customer complaint.
snowmane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 12:32   #4193
BHPian

Quick update everybody, I have a 2022 Jeep Compass Diesel S AT Model, and till now I have had the below issues, every issue occurring around 3 to 5 months after the previous one.

1. Seat cowl broke, the ASS did not have the part and they took their own time in getting it, but was replaced in warranty without any charges, the new cowl is still okay since the past 15 months.

2. Driver side ventilated seat function stopped working, again sent it to ASS, but they took three weeks to fix this saying that only a Jeep Authorised mechanic can do it, and they had difficulty arranging his booking.

3. Complete automatic tail gate assembly stopped working, again they took four weeks to get the assembly and all other parts from Jeep and then replaced this under warranty.

4. Last month the alternator gave up and I had a breakdown while driving, though it was night and there was no moving traffic, so was lucky since I did not stall in heavy traffic. First thing I did was call a local mechanic who suggested that we replace the battery, so I also called up the Jeep ASS and they confirmed that the battery must have died.

After replacing the battery, the local mechanic realized that the alternator was malfunctioning and so I decided to not make him do any further fixes on the vehicle, called the tow vehicle and got it sent to the ASS.

The ASS guy called up the next day and said that this is a very common issue and replaced the alternator in a day and sent the vehicle back.

After these issues, I decided to take the +2 years extended warranty from the ASS just to feel safe, but these niggling issues not only cost time and heartache but also create a serious doubt in my mind if I did the right decision to buy a compass.

I will definitely not keep it for more then 5 years once the extended warranty runs out, also, it is almost as if Jeep itself does not have confidence in its own products because the maximum extended warranty one can purchase is for a total or 2 additional years after their standard warranty which is for 3 years.

Are there not enough Jeeps and awareness about these issues, and if there are, how are people still buying their products at heavily inflated prices.
snowmane is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 12:31   #4194

Mod note: Please avoid copy pasting entire large post for short replies. Affects readability especially on mobile browsers. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthdmaniar View Post
As a first-time car owner, there are multitudes of learning, and I hope to document our learning as our beloved Jeep Compass crossed 10,000 km within five months of ownership.
====
I want to thank the team-bhp community, for if it weren't for the community, I would still be lost.
Congratulations for the car. And a lot of thanks for the detailed pre delivery experience. I loved the part about not getting carried away during the PDI and forget to savour the occasion. If I may ask, what was the waiting period on the car? I am considering the Diesel Manual Variants of the JC hence the question.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th March 2023 at 12:47.
Old 20th March 2023, 17:53   #4195
BHPian

Thanks for the advice guys - I guess its time to call up Jeep
Old 20th March 2023, 21:23   #4196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn007007 View Post

Congratulations for the car. And a lot of thanks for the detailed pre delivery experience. I loved the part about not getting carried away during the PDI and forget to savour the occasion. If I may ask, what was the waiting period on the car? I am considering the Diesel Manual Variants of the JC hence the question.
Thank you very much; we booked our Jeep Compass (Diesel Manual, Limited [o]) - white colour on 11th August 2022 at the Haji Ali, Mumbai, Landmark showroom; we were hoping to get it before the price hike in September 2022. However, we were called for PDI on 23rd August, and the car was delivered on 31st August 2022.

Please be advised that my car was of June 2022 made as per the VIN decoding (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)).

My wife wanted blue colour which was available sooner, but I opted and somehow won for white colour

All the best for your purchase; while I know this is an unsolicited opinion - you cannot go wrong with the Jeep Compass if you are considering between Creta, Harrier and Hector, in my humble opinion.
Old 20th March 2023, 21:38   #4197

Thanks @parthdmaniar. It's very reassuring to hear that you got delivery within 20 days from the booking. I considered all the cars you mentioned during my research but have narrrowed it down to the compass majorly due to fact that I do not prefer buff SUV's(harrier, safari and the likes. My personal opinion and no offence meant to any of the cars). I did not consider the Creta because I want the 2L engine with a minimum of 300 Nm of torque. The car that came closest was the xuv7OO but again, it's too big for my taste and the waiting periods are insane for the popular variants. I will update my TD, booking and delivery experience once I am done with all that. Once again, Congratulations on becoming a Jeeper and I hope I will be joining you soon.
Aragorn007007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:13   #4198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn007007 View Post
Thanks @parthdmaniar. It's very reassuring to hear that you got delivery within 20 days from the booking. I considered all the cars you mentioned during my research but have narrrowed it down to the compass majorly due to fact that I do not prefer buff SUV's(harrier, safari and the likes. My personal opinion and no offence meant to any of the cars). I did not consider the Creta because I want the 2L engine with a minimum of 300 Nm of torque. The car that came closest was the xuv7OO but again, it's too big for my taste and the waiting periods are insane for the popular variants. I will update my TD, booking and delivery experience once I am done with all that. Once again, Congratulations on becoming a Jeeper and I hope I will be joining you soon.
Congratulations and God Speed for the car .

I did not provide comparative commentary in my 10,000 KM observation thread because there is enough commentary out there, and I, for one, found most of it not aligned with my experience. I can, however, quickly document it here:

1. I initially wanted to go for Skoda Kushaq 1.5 manual but never got to drive it. I was offered an automatic, and the dealerships could not arrange a manual one. The automatic 1.5 was responsive and smooth to drive. The plastics and the lack of premium upholstery did not matter to me. During our decision-making period (around three months), Skoda did reduce the features (screen display size, subwoofer, etc.) - This did not matter to me, but my wife did not take it positively. I gave up on Skoda because of the lack of manual transmission for a test drive. This would be our car if it wasn't for the Jeep compass.

2. In my humble opinion, Hyundai Creta was bland as a car and did not feel near Jeep's sturdiness. I visited the showroom twice but never got the test drive. I drove a friend's automatic (2021 make) but did not like it. There are many features in Creta, but I was not behind the features. Being our first car - I wanted a sturdy one, and for some reason, Creta did not give that feeling.

3. We drove the Tata Harrier several times and even have one in the family. I knew the diesel engine was the same as Jeep Compass, but the finish and features of the car clearly showed signs of skimming. During my two test drives, I found the car to be stiff and a tad bit unstable at high speeds (please keep in mind this is my humble opinion). The car had features I did not try, such as the engine mode - ECO, Sport and one other (city or normal). I did not get confident The finish of the car and the stiff ride quality made me skip the harrier.

4. MG Hector was test driven for the sake of it and wasn't a real contender. However, I did find it stiff, like the Tata Harrier.

5. Toyota Innova was a solid contender until I learned that Toyota had offloaded its operations to Maruti. So while I have friends who own Innova, and they love it (we love it too) - given the Diesel Manual was a questionable future product last year, we decided to skip it.

Now, I am unsure which version (Sport, Limited, S, other) of Jeep Compass you've chosen along with the engine and transmission - the reason I feel you cannot go wrong with the car is based on my personal experience:

1. I've found the Jeep service centres in Mumbai to be always at capacity (or over capacity), but the staff is very professional, courteous and cooperative.

2. Jeep compass is often termed as overpriced compared to its competitors. It may be, but the buying decision is ours, and hence calling an expensive product post-purchase seems naive. Furthermore, I can attest that the components, from small ones like the reverse parking camera to major ones like the suspension tuning, are better than the other cars I drove.

3. Do not expect a whiplash acceleration, but the car is like a stallion - it can sustain high triple-digit speeds (140+) for a very long distance. In the manual transmission, I have never accelerated above 3,000 RPM in any gear, with 1, 2 and 3rd gears rarely going above 2,000 RPM.

I've had friends who purchased the top end (S option) with Petrol automatic - they attest that the automatic transmission is a bit bland, but again if that's the case, go for the manual transmission.

I am sure you will love the product & congratulations to you, too, on a wonderful purchase decision. Drive safe and enjoy

Last edited by parthdmaniar : 21st March 2023 at 15:21.
parthdmaniar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 01:14   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2krish View Post
Hi All,
I am facing a weird issue that the audio source jumps abruptly at random. I normally play music through a card reader plugged into the type C port on dash. It jumps to either FM or AM all of a sudden. I have already put forward my complaint to the dealer. However, in case, anyone else faced same/similar issue, kindly let me know if there is any identified reason for that.
Thanks.
My first suggestion is to check whether the person driving the car is unknowingly pressing the source selection button at the back of the steering wheel between the volume up/down rocker.

If not then please get that button on the wheel itself checked or any of the connections including the clock spring. A bad clock spring can make the infotainment system do many random things.
Old 26th March 2023, 10:24   #4200
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what are the latest offers on the Compass? My friend got a quote of around INR 33.8L for a 2022 Diesel Auto. Same model for 2023 gets only 50k cash discount and you have to pay 25K more for the dongle (which is ridiculous). Is this a good deal?

Most Viewed